Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Modular Buildings

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    Library and school are probably significantly more interesting to the "masses" than town hall though.  
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    SumoLego said:

We may not get a bar, but a cookie speakeasy would be interesting.
    Brick City Depot has plans for a really nice Speak-easy.

https://www.brickcitydepot.com/CB029/speakeasy
  • ericbericb Member Posts: 81
    1265 said:
    A library.....not a chance.  Libraries are becoming extinct. 
    Extinct?  Maybe where you're located.  I've only seen library expansion where I live, and that's a good thing. 
    pharmjod
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    I've personally built 2 new libraries and remodeled or expanded 2 more just in one county in the last 6-7 years

You are going to have people for a long time who don't want to strain their eyes reading a pad when there are large buildings full of free books in just about every town

And thank god too
    pharmjodGothamConstructionCo
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    The middle school students I work with spend a LOT of time in their local libraries. When you're an inner-city kid and you've got no one waiting for you at home, you might as go hang out at a library and read some free books. I like to think they'll survive.
    madforLEGO
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    I don't understand the pushback against modulars being fun. Don't watch the designer video and leave the cookies out of the DO if it bothers you. Give away the minifigs from the modulars if they are too fun for you. Or just stick with the Architecture theme sets
    VorpalRyumr.piggles
  • 1greenwing1greenwing Member Posts: 26
    A courthouse would be nice. Multiple courtrooms, holding cells, jury rooms, law library, cafeteria and the press hovering about for high profile cases.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 280
    edited April 2015
    Personally, I'd love to see a library and I'm not going to pretend I know what appeals to the masses.  I'd also like a bookstore.  The creation of one would not satisfy the desire for the other.   It's not easy to maintain funding for libraries, but they are hardly going extinct.  And even if they were, why should that prevent LEGO from releasing one if they ever wanted to?
    VorpalRyumr.piggles
    I like the idea of a courthouse a lot actually but if it really is going to be a corner then I can see that not leaving enough interior space
    Those extra 7-8 studs for the sidewalk really make a difference

How about a building that is a little bit longer (but shorter) that uses a 32x32 and 32x16 together? Even on a corner that would work
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,563
    I'm not convinced it'll be a corner. Although, the Lego Retail stores haven't been stocking Emporiums and Cinemas for some time.

They still appear in many spots in the catalogs, so I see another corner modular appearing in 2017.

We could see a police/court set.

Something more unconventional like a TV studio would also be interesting.

Someone mentioned a car dealership - that would be awesome, but doesn't lend itself to the modular theme.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,540
    graphite said:
    Library and school are probably significantly more interesting to the "masses" than town hall though.  
    People keep saying that but I notice the Town Hall was made and not a school or Library first.

I can see a museum being made before a school or library. A school can even be somewhat detailed if made, but a library in LEGO? What is it going to be really? A ton of 2x2 tiles on a shelve in a room with some tables? They are not going to make a huge library with either no 'books' (basically put a bunch of 1x2 plated in different colors in a lump on a shelve) and they are not likely to put a load of 2x2 tiles ( even more costly book pieces) in the shelves to represent the books as that would be cost prohibitive. Maybe they could use stickers, as everyone seems to 'love' those.
    I guess they could combine both, but again an awful lot of pieces to represent the books
  • PaperbackwriterPaperbackwriter Member Posts: 105
    The maid just read my comment and told me I need to go away before I get tossed from another website. So, I sent pics of my row of houses to a couple of people. Also sent one of my mod to DO with a Starbucks on ground level, small courtyard with fountain in middle, and an expanded Al's on the right side. DO is on second floor with access via stairway from alley behind building.
    DOs apartment is on third floor. This is actually a corner building with glass all the way down the side of Al's with entrances to Starbucks and Al's from doors facing interior courtyard.  Sorry that I don't post pics.  But, maybe those I sent them to can post them if they wish.  To my fellow mature adults, happy building!
    Nobody asked you to post pics again after you strangely refused before, so I don't know why you're bringing it up again.
    Because I've been asked by email to post pictures.  'Strangely refused'.  Not strange, I just don't post pictures. You seem to try to be disagreeable. But, since this whole matter means close to zilch for me, I'll allow you to rule your little insignificant kingdom without any discord caused by me.  I have enough real friends with whom I interact with face to face so that I don't really need this.  And, if I do, I can simply come back with another ID and another IP.  Enjoy a life that's apparently comprised mostly of posting multiple comments on an insignificant website on a daily basis to people you've never met. Must be fulfilling.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,540
    LEGO has not been stocking GE because it is done and EOL.
    I think LEGO has a pattern for corner buildings, it is corner - 2 'street' sets - corner, so I think the next is likely a corner building. Also makes sense, as GE is gone, the next is likely a corner building. Maybe they will do a garage type set? With a Lobby on one side and a garage door (or two) on the other side for car maintenance? It would be a bit of a rehash type set, but then again what else is left for LEGO for a corner set?
    I guess some kind of ground floor store or 'greasy spoon diner' (unlucky due to the Parisan Restaurant) on the ground floor with apts on the upper floors?
    Maybe the Bank makes sense here.

I'm sure LEGO will come up with another design that is pleasing and somewhat unexpected as they have done fairly well recently.
    ^ Agreed! I would have never guessed a Detective Agency. They are very clever, and are often unpredictable.

As for the alternative exchange on this topic - let's just agree to be less sensitive and less critical. I'm sure we all have very important lives doing important things and can agree that posting discussion points on a very helpful website could be time better used curing cancer or increasing human productivity. It's a hobby, we all enjoy it.

Pictures, no pictures, I'm happy the more people contribute towards positive dicourse on a common interest. (Sermon over!)
    VorpalRyu
    BTW - Bank is finally somewhere all of those stolen $100 tiles, gold bars and pirate gold could be stored.
    VorpalRyu
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 280
    edited April 2015
    There is always somebody predicting each modular release is going to be a corner building.

An auto dealership would be cool, and I think it would work fine as a modular... even as a corner building.

http://www.gnyada100.com/images/timeline-img-ford.jpg

http://www.mychurchgrowth.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/1920s-Jordan-Dealership-Oakland-Pontiac-dealer-next-door.jpg

I was going to do a motorcycle dealership but I'm not sure how many cars you are going to be able to fit inside. That was tight
    Maybe if it came with an attach parking lot
    gmonkey76
    I'd just like to see them break out of the 32x32 mold. Yes, I know that PS was 2x32x16 but some variety would be nice. Like the above mentioned auto dealership on 48x32. That could be done! Eventhough Brick City (no I'm not a paid rep!) has done a nice old-timey gas station, I'd like to see Lego produce a modular one.  
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    ^ I like the size variety too.  I've done my own on 48x48 (train station), 32x40 (gas station/apartment), and a 24x32 (city house) to even out the block of the 32x40.
    :p ^Pictures?
    TheLoneTensorBumblepantsPitfall69SumoLegogmonkey76
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited April 2015

Me me me me me me me me me me me me me.  Enjoy a life that's apparently comprised mostly of posting multiple comments on an insignificant website on a daily basis to people you've never met. Must be fulfilling.
    I know right?  Not every website can be as significant as http://www.zombo.com
    BumblepantsGoldchains
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,415
    If it's so insignificant, how come he keeps posting?
  • MrTjipsMrTjips Member Posts: 32
    Hmmm... this is interesting, maybe I will start some day with a typical Amsterdam canal. I often go to Amsterdam and love the old city centre.

https://www.brickcitydepot.com/CB013/canal_street_houses

This old postcard from Legoland Billund gives you an idea of how it could be:

klatu003
    ^ I do like that but I would get so bored with the same color over and over
    I'd have to switch it up each building
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    Those giant people in the background are creeping me out tho.....

chuckp
    I didn't even see them! That is creepy. Very 'Jack and the Beanstalk'...
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,886
    Now that the Kwik-e-Mart is available, I'm debating how this would look in a modular city with FB, GE, etc (minus the Simpson figs). I don't consider it a modular, but it's a store and a large building, and might look nifty alongside the taller structures. Thoughts?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,155
    ^I think it would need to be reworked some to fit the modulars. Seems larger in scale somehow. Maybe it is also just the modulars tend to have more details and seem more refined.
  • OndraOndra Member Posts: 74
    http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84574&st=2825#entry2193233

So, library or museum or dentist.Library and museum, arent for me suprise because they are doing well on lego ideas(Library 5K votes, Museum 10K votes and already in review) so lego probably jump on the hype train.

I hope for museum, because that ideas submission is fantastic and can be possible in price and piece point as town hall acording to that submission designer.

Also at this time, thanks to ideas, is museum on popularity peak, so making it will be very clever idea.Also it can be corner, with one wall full of glasses that we can see what is inside.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Well, the apparent source probably squirmed when asked about a dentist, library, or museum because he had already said he didn't want to reveal any information. And I think it's a given that at any time LEGO likely has several modulars in the prototype stage. The idea that all of them are final is almost certainly not true.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,886
    edited April 2015
    In poking around for some custom modular instructions, I did come across this. From what I can tell, these free instructions are from the original designer. I might change the color scheme, but the yellow is striking. I haven't downloaded the LDD file yet, so I don't know exactly how the instructions are put together. Forewarning.

http://modulars.palace-designs.com/

VorpalRyu
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    ^ It appears to be a Marcos Bessa model from before he became a LEGO designer. It will be interesting to see whether he ever designs a modular and how close it is to that one.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    The blind minifigure with the seeing eye dog is a nice touch. Surprised Lego hasn't done that yet.
    TheLoneTensor
    edited April 2015
    That linked thread made my head explode
    And it for sure sounds like a pushy interviewer situation to me
    I would hardly call it rock solid info
    Did the guy just start rattling off a list of building themes in order to gauge how much the designer twitched?

I do remember seeing a MOC somewhere recently with a dentist on the 2nd floor above a videogame or comic book store. Other then a nice brick built giant tooth sign I don't remember anything all that interesting about it.
    ^Along with a wheel-chaired minifig.... Sadly, Lego probably wants to avoid possible PR issues with those.
    Pitfall69
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    edited April 2015
    Well, there is a Wheelchair Accessible IDEAs project. I think adding a Wheelchair Accessible ramp to a Modular would be a nice touch.

I don't know what PR problems they might run into. Lego did produce the Research Institute ;)
    preveremadforLEGOVorpalRyu
    Solarious said:
    That linked thread made my head explode
    And it for sure sounds like a pushy interviewer situation to me
    I would hardly call it rock solid info
    Did the guy just start rattling off a list of building themes in order to gauge how much the designer twitched?

I do remember seeing a MOC somewhere recently with a dentist on the 2nd floor above a videogame or comic book store. Other then a nice brick built giant tooth sign I don't remember anything all that interesting about it.
    If LEGO announced what modulars were coming out in the next few years, it wouldn't hurt their sales at all. In fact it would help build hype if anything. From those of us who appreciate the custom modular market, I'd like to know what NOT to buy, in knowing there is an official model on the way.
  • OndraOndra Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2015
    Next building is probably corner and bussiness.This can be some kind of library or bookstore with cafe.
    After that is probably retail and residential, so maybe some apartments with dentist.
    And at last if we follow layout is government building, so I´m thinking about huge natural museum.

This is only my predictions based on that rumours.But after success of museum at ideas page, they maybe push it earlier.We already know, that lego made some ideas sets unnoficial as wide release.Also detective office is not government at all.For example tumbler, hellicarier and sandcrawler.Also jurassic park theme and little western town=lone ranger.

P.s.:Detective office is not government at all, so corner can be whatever lego want.
    I would personally like something that isn't 2 or 3 separate entities in one building. We've had that twice in a row now with PR and DO. A museum would need to be the sole dedicated focus with multiple floors. If they could swing a Planetarium on the roof with a big dome, that would be super fantastic. And a T-Rex hanging outside above the doors.
    Rainstorm26Sethro3
  • groundedgrounded Central OhioMember Posts: 73
    I would love to see a natural history / science museum, with items akin to the dinosaur skeleton from the Research Institute set. I would be less excited about an art museum. I don't know how exciting you can make flat tiles on a wall with some scattered benches.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death in another thread, but here are some mods/half-mods that I think could be done well, and fit somewhat with the 'days of yesteryear' theme that I always thought TLG was going for.

- Laundromat (maybe a bit repetitive, but some potential)
    - Video Game Arcade (I'm thinking skee-ball, some whack-a-mole and lots of different colors arcade cabinets)
    - Recording or Photo Studio
    - Florist
    - Post Office
    - Candy Store (think like an old 5&10 in the US)
    - Hardware Store 
    - Supermarket (this seems unlikely with the Kwik-E-Mart just being released)

None of these really seem 'corner-worthy' though. Instead, I assume we'll get some type of medical building or civic building.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    What if there is no next modular?
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,299
    Don't say such things!
    pharmjodFollowsClosely
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 563
    As long as they continue to produce Creator Expert buildings following the Cafe Corner standard, that'll work just fine.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,155
    ^^then I guess Lego purchases will decrease and alcohol purchases will increase.
    Pitfall69BrikingFollowsClosely
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    If there's no next modular, I'll buy everyone here a MISB Cafe Corner.
    VorpalRyukhmellymelJern92FollowsCloselyAdzbadboylego007
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,299
    Plell said:
    If there's no next modular, I'll buy everyone here a MISB Cafe Corner.
    I will definitely hold you to that.... everyone lets make a petition! Those seem to work well.
    VorpalRyuJern92FollowsCloselyAdzbadboy
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,303
    ^ GOLD! *grabs a pen* :wink: 
    xiahna
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 815
    prevere said:
    ^Along with a wheel-chaired minifig.... Sadly, Lego probably wants to avoid possible PR issues with those.
    I read PR as Parisian Restaurant, and was wondering where a wheel-chaired minifig fit in with that.
    VorpalRyu
    And BTW, I still can't believe we haven't seen a human baby in a carriage, either thru CMF or Friends.
    pharmjodVorpalRyu
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    So is the consensus that the next building is a corner? I was trying to place each one of the previous corner buildings into a "theme" like cafe is restaurant, cinema is entertainment, emporium is shopping, etc. all consumer goods driven right? So perhaps something else consumer goods driven if TLG sticks with a pattern like this?