Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Kingdoms set values question

monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,375
edited April 2015 in Buying & Selling Topics
Having recently and rather reluctantly reached the understanding that Lego sets I have put aside for my son may not be of much interest to him (he is all ninja's and super heroes with Star Wars and China hot behind them), I am mulling the idea of selling some of the sets.

one batch of set I have boxed and squirrelled away are a bunch of kingdoms sets. All the sets are sealed in boxes, I know what the cost when I bought them, but I am curious as the whether they have increased in value and are of interest to people, I have looked in the usual places but wanted some advice.

All sealed in boxes:
Kings castle #7946
Blacksmith attack #6918
Kingdoms joust #10223
Gold getaway #70401
Dragon mountain #70403
Kings castle #70404

These are not for sale yet as I want to know if they are worth selling, which may seem a little mercenary but if I do sell, the more I get then I can turn them into sets the little ones will want, which is a tiny consolation when I listen to my wife's saying 'I told you so' with regards to her view on not stockpiling. I also need to stop second guessing what my kids might like in the future, but that's probably a matter for another thread.

any valuation assistance much appreciated.

thanks loads
matt

Comments

• natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    If you want my opinion, I wouldn't sell any of the sets you listed.  None have appreciated in value much (only exception is 7946, but even that is only averaging 1.5x RRP on Bricklink for New and unopened).  10223 averages $121 which is pretty much RRP, and the bottom three you listed I've seen clearanced off for cheap at two Lego brand stores recently.

I doubt you'd make much money in the long run, after you count fees (assuming you sell them on Ebay or Bricklink).
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Additionally, peruse Ebay searching through "completed listings".  You'll see prices range all over...some 7946's sold for $200+, but others who weren't quite as lucky sold for less than $100.  I'd say the average there is also around $150, but you're at the mercy of getting people to bid it up, otherwise a set like that could go for cheap.
    madforLEGO
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 365
    edited April 2015
     @Monkey_roo I would suggest two basic resources - you can pull up the price guide information for the last 6 months of sales on Bricklink by entering the set number and searching for a catalog item.  Then click on the link labeled "view price guide"

For example, here is the price guide information for #7946:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=7946-1

The average price for new #7946 over the last 6 months was $150.  (You need to be careful with Bricklink though, as data can get skewed by someone selling a partial but still "new" set, such as only the dragon from a set.)

I'd also look over the sold item price on eBay.  (Just click on the "sold" checkbox on the left side, and you can then look at sales over the last 3 months of so on eBay.  Between those two, you should get a pretty fast idea of what a new in box set is "worth".  

If anyone uses the data on Brickpicker, they might be able to point you in the right direction there. I don't really use the site, but I know they have historical sales data aggregated. I just have no idea the validity/requirements they use when consolidating eBay sales.

I would imagine that there would be some interest here on the board.   Just let us know if you do decide to sell or trade!

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,096
    edited April 2015

What's your location? Some local member may want them and save you the hassle of listing, shipping and fees. And no, you are not going to make enough with these sets to wipe that smug look off your wife’s face...sorry!

Sethro3
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited April 2015
    It's probably a better idea for you to check out similar sold items on ebay, look at current prices on bricklink, and/or look at brickpicker's valuations.

I'm not quite sure what anecdotal opinions on here will add to that data.
    madforLEGO
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,187
    I'd say you would have to wait a minimum of 5 years to know exactly how a generic (non-licensed) set will do in the long term.

I wouldn't expect an immediate bump after EOL.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,375
    Thanks for the comments, looking at all the data again collectively RRP would seem about fair. I think if I put these up for sale and did achieve that then at least my wife can't complaint too much and that would be more than enough money to reinvest in some elves and SW/super hero sets that the kids would actually use.

i will think about this today and take a few photos tonight, but to answer @ecmo47 question, I am London based and more than happy to meet up if possible because shipping almost always kills deals for large sets these days.

thanks for the comments.
    matt
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,238
    The one thing I'd suggest is that if your kids like Chima/Elves then some of Castle/Kingdoms stuff would overlap well, even if just in terms of appropriate buildings and particularly stuff like Dragon Mountain, having a dragon in either Chima/Elves would probably seem natural to a lot of children's play. While non licenced mini figures don't command the premium that licenced ones do you could always look at selling the figures separately to recoup a bit of the cost and break down the sets to usable parts/builds.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,026
    How old are your kids, and are they likely to want them in 2-4 years time?
    @ccc I think that's the point, in 2-4 years who know what they might want or like. It is possible they will like a castle but they will also want whatever else Lego is producing at the time, actually by then my daughter will be entering those teenage years where Lego might not be 'cool' :)

To be honest I don't see my son (4 yesterday) changing his themes much, he loves Ninjas, SW and Super Heroes, and lets be honest SW and Super Heroes are going to be even bigger in the next few years than they are now and while it is a guess it is hard for some of the non licenced or traditional themed toys (Lego or otherwise) to compete with those brands. As a child would you rather play out a scene between to men riding a horse or a man who wears metal armour, flies around firing lasers from his chest fighting space aliens?

Sadly I think my wife is right, there isn't much point holding onto sets for years and years in the hope that they kids might want them, given the limited space in the house and the fact that you can't buy everything for them (because you will spoil them, and not to mention spent a fortune doing it), isn't it best just to get the things they want when they want them?

I think that is me talking myself into the sales area although I totally agree that these sets would lend to good cross over play.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,262
    @CCC brings up a good point, Kids can be fickle, they may not want them now, but in a couple of years time, they may be all about castles & dragons... Our son wasn't interested in animals (toy ones like Schleich make), but now, he's always asking can we get a crocodile next, a bear, a rhino, etc. As it seems you're not likely to make big money on them at the moment, I personally would be putting them up for now & coming back to it at a later date.
    xiahna
    ^Indeed that is the crux of my dilemma, while I might not make a 'profit' that isn't the point, based on sales data and feedback as a collection £300 would seem right and that would translate into other sets both kids want for upcoming birthdays and even as far out as Christmas.

My son may fancy a castle in a few years but I am willing to bet Lego will release castles as a theme periodically so if and when he might want one, there will be a newer model to buy. That is one lesson I have learnt since coming out of my dark age in 2007, there will always be an update at some point on almost all lines (a few IP driven sets aside).

The advise is appreciated, and it has helped me form an opinion, which is great.

thanks loads
    VorpalRyu
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,262
    @monkey_roo, a solid point, castle sets will likely see a return at some point within the few years, much like pirates are now, both aren't like space, which would be competing with SW. If you won't be losing money on selling, then it would make sense to sell up & grab stuff your little ones definitely have interest in. Good luck with selling, who knows, hopefully you might find someone on here, in your local area wanting those sets, which could save you selling fees & postage.
    xiahna
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    edited April 2015
    Eurobricks discusses a new fantasy theme due out in a year or two.  It's supposed to be more in line with Kingdoms/Vikings than Castle.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    Kingdoms bombed. I don't mind a couple of the sets, but the Knights figures were quite blocky.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,085
    Kings castle #7946

- the older of the last two castles to be released this one really is the "kingdoms" castle of this line not #70404.  Although its the castle line, excitement in the aftermarket for this line has been somewhat mediocre.  With that said, just take a look at some of the prices on BL and ebay and you will see a more complete picture.
    Blacksmith attack #6918

-Like other castle/pirate and space sets of this size and calibre the real thing to do is play the waiting game.  Hard for a set of this size and rrp to "really net you a good return".  In other words, a set that retails for 9.99 USD and takes 5 years to triple in value to say 29.99 USD - is that worth your time, effort, space, capacity and tied up funding?  Always a personal quest for an answer here.
    Kingdoms joust #10223

-Perhaps one of my personal favorite sets.  I would say though you have to be in the market for such an exclusive "niche" LEGO set.  I say that because ideally you need two copies to make the complete build like TLG intended.  You can do just fine with one copy, plenty of cool minifigures and the build is diverse enough to keep your attention for a few hours.  Again though, aftermarket prices are not sky high, especially for this set for whatever reason - even though it was discounted directly from LEGO [email protected] just before retirement.  So that speaks volumes considering the set and the fact that it was an Exclusive.  I would hold it if you can otherwise, get retail for it and be done.

Gold getaway #70401
    Dragon mountain #70403
    Kings castle #70404

- These last 3 were retired not long ago - I do not recall huge fanfare while they were released and this is showing in aftermarket pricing to date.  Again, hasnt been long that we have been in the retirement phase for these sets but there was not a huge immediate after market jump like you may see with other popular sets.  If you can, hold onto them; I picked up one of each of the latest castle line and built everything and just made a cool castle layout with extra figs, items, etc.  Always a fun time.