Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

SNOT help for a novice PLEASE!

Hey, this is my first post here. I am new to MOC building. I have tried multiple parts combos, stud in/out, holding my breath and harsh language. I simply cannot get the pictured "superstructure" section to fit. Either the horizontal fits and vertical is off by less than a plate width, or vice versa. Hopefully the pictures are self-explanatory, as my Lego MOC builder vocab. is still very limited. Assume I'm a clueless newb, because I am.

This is my first real attempt at a true scratch built MOC and I really put a lot of effort into it. (actually it is a "CIBSEM"-creation inspired by someone else's MOC). The excellent design for this ship belongs to [email protected], hopefully I'm not breaking a forum rule by mentioning him. The inspiration, motivation and a lot of the great ideas came from my seven year old master builder's mind. 

Your help and constructive criticism/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

This is a poor photo of about version 2.7, right before I tore it down for the third time and rebuilt the inner frame again, since it was rubbish. The troublesome section is only attached on one end in the pic.

bobabricksrancorbaitmadforLEGO

Comments

• scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    That's quite impressive for a "clueless newb". I can't really help from the pictures but possibly it doesn't need to attach both horizontally and vertically?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,653
    edited March 2015
    Per your observations, maybe the geometry just doesn't work. Looking at the top photo, perhaps you can take the plate off the far right of the drop-in section, cover the 3 exposed studs (the ones with the flag draped over them) with tiles, and then the drop-in section will fit in vertically without leaving too much of a gap on the right?
  • Thanks for the input and compliments! I tried your approach dr dave, no love there, but thanks! Scrumper, i think i am going to try a redesign that will allow a bar or rod to stabilise the troublesome superstructuure, so it doesnt need to attach at both ends. Thanks for the input! I taught myself a lot about various building techniques with this ship. I guess I'm always hard on myself, maybe I'm not totally clueless. I fiddled about for six weeks with many different ways to attach the various sections, some of them quite elaborate and totally worthless. I finally realized why lego uses long technic bricks and pins to make the frame of large vehicles. Once I used that approach it came together nicely. The entire aft section doesn't fall off if looked at for too long, for instance. One of.my goals was a solid build that can be played with. My seven year old and I love to set up elaborate on battle scenes, so this is not a MOC that I want sitting on a shelf.

• Finished this a couple weeks ago. HRMS steam gunboat Snapping Turtle. I changed the deck gun and a few other cosmetic things, I'm finally happy with it. An enemy island fort and seascape are in the works. Thanks for the advice!

roxio