Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego Dimensions

Comments

• GreendudeGreendude Member Posts: 58
    Some people are mentioning that these figures are about equal or maybe a little more than existing toys to life products but they were new products with no set retail value.  These are just minifigs.  We know how much they retail for.  Why the huge increase in price?  It comes with a base plate with a chip in?  A chip that can be manufactured for fractions of a penny?  I don't know how much the base plate itself is costing but I'm guessing not £10.  What is this extra money buying?  Let's not forget the £100 the actual game is gonna cost.  Setting aside the fact that LEGO should have made already owned minifigs compatible, these sets should be priced around £4.99 not £14.99.
    TheBigLegoski
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    I wonder what this will do to the current "buy an overpriced minifigure and enter a code to play them in a video game" game.   The concept looks neat, but it is far too overpriced to get everything unlocked that is already in the game. 
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,138
    ^Because that is the set market price for this type of toy and they know they will sell at that price point. Not sure what you mean though by making owned minifigs compatible. I assume the reader works with the chips in the base or in the Dimension specific figures. How would the reader be able to identify a figure you own?
    charlatan13
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,788
    Renny said:
    It looks interesting. My only concern is what has happened to the Amiibo line. I'd hate to get into this only to find myself having to pay 3-5x retail price for some expansion. Nintendo has really dropped the ball on that in my opinion. I would be curious to see how this one turns out.
    Well, one of the complicating factors with Amiibo is that it can be very hard to get merchandise of any kind for certain games outside of Japan. So some people are buying the sets just as figures/memorabilia rather than for their gameplay value. With the LEGO stuff so far, this doesn't look like it'll be quite so much of an issue, at least with the first series, since only two of the actual characters (Unikitty and the Wicked Witch of the West) appear to be exclusive, and the vehicles look like they should mostly be easy enough to Bricklink (except, of course, for the hoverboard, which is a brand-new mold). So a lot of the buyers will be limited to those who are actually interested in the game.

That's not to say there won't be issues, though. If the game really takes off like I'm sure LEGO and WB want it to, then even that audience might be enough to put a strain on the supply. Fortunately, LEGO has one other advantage over Nintendo: they are actually in the business of making toys. As such, as long as they are able to foresee the demand, they should probably be able to satisfy it.
  • Mandz27Mandz27 ScotlandMember Posts: 35
    I think they've priced themselves out IMO , there's not a hope I'm paying £99 for a game that then needs extension packs. ... it would end up costing a couple hundred just for 1 game, also let's face it's not a new concept either the whole toy to life thing so why they think they can command a higher price than currently popular TTL games is beyond me
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,322
    Those concerned about the figures coming off the base this is the quote from the facebook page when that question was asked: "The bricks used to create LEGO Dimensions minifigures and vehicles are always going to play nice with the LEGO bricks found in millions of homes."
    Andor
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,115
    Quite an evasive answer when a simple "yes, they are a standard mini figure"
    would have been much more clear.  Makes me think there is more to the story.  Perhaps the chip is embedded in the figure and it the base ?
    chips in the figure parts would be interesting letting you mix and match parts....similar to skylanders swap force..... still with the pice counts I'm leaning towards the minifigures being separate pieces.
  • MissKittyFantasticoMissKittyFantastico AustraliaMember Posts: 196
    @dougts, maybe, but it might be as simple as them avoiding referring to them as "just normal figures/bricks" for PR reasons - saying 'yes they're standard figures' invites the follow-up question 'then why the heck do they cost that much?', and 'because the base is special' isn't going to make potential buyers feel great.  Just semantics, but that's marketing in a nutshell.

Still, it's neither here nor there for me if there's no PC version.  I'm not rabidly anti-DLC/microtransaction, so long as I'm getting something vaguely worthwhile (and all those Mass Effect cosmetic armour packs prove that 'worth' can be pretty darned vague and I'll still go for it), but I'm not exactly sitting here with a heavy heart at the realisation that I'm going to miss out on this one.
    andheAndor
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,115
    edited April 2015
    Oh I totally agree that's the more likely answer. Marketing BS and tricking people into accepting over price gouging is par for the course in today's world. Really the entire toys to digital games genre is one massively successful scam to begin with
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    My biggest concern is one that doesn't seem to have been touched upon here. What's the digital content like?

The minifigures and minibuilds are all very nice albeit overpriced, but what about the actual game? Is this going to be more dry repetition of the bi-annual TT Lego Game formula that's getting rather stale now? £29.99 for the back to the future set which includes a "level". One level? really? that doesn't sound compelling if the size of past Lego game levels is anything to go by. The Lego Batman 3 season pass was what, £15 and I got was it 5 or 6 levels with it?

Unless there's some new innovative digital content behind this I really don't see the point because without that it's ultimately just more Lego, but with a massive price markup on it.

For £100 I expect between about 60 and 200 hours of quality gameplay. Because that's typically what the competition is offering. Without that I might as well just keep buying normal Lego, because it's a fraction of the price.

So to me the biggest determining factor here is the quality of the digital content. I don't think they can make this work unless they've got that right and are offering something more than just more of the same but with physical figures and a drastic price hike thrown on.
    dougtsandheGoldchains
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,501
    Renny said:
    Not sure what you mean though by making owned minifigs compatible. I assume the reader works with the chips in the base or in the Dimension specific figures. How would the reader be able to identify a figure you own?
    They have started to develop that type of technology in LEGO FUSION. If there was a camera, then it might be possible to identify a minifigure or at least specific parts of a minifigure. Of course, it could get confused if the minifig was not built with the correct parts, or the user used a photo instead of the actual minifigure.

Which is why it is probably best to use the chip technology - force parents to re-buy existing minifigs if the kid wants to play that character, and make sure that a purchase is made to play each character instead of users circumventing the system to get extra characters for free.
    More verification that figures can detach. Look at Unikitty's base and you can see the studs.
    Andor
  • BazookaJoeX9BazookaJoeX9 Member Posts: 98
    You want sales? Put an exclusive DC/LOTR figure out there we can't get any other way and watch what happens. Example: we're already getting Starfire and Beast Boy this summer, they come out with Raven in a Fun Pack. People will buy it just to say they have all of the Teen Titans.
    bobabricksAndorlegomatt
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534

i think lego is out of ideas and is now just following the crowds. There's already skylanders, disney infinity, AND those amiibo things. Outside of the lego fans, L.D.'s have nearly no market while the others cover a broad video gamer market

CCC said:
    Renny said:
    Not sure what you mean though by making owned minifigs compatible. I assume the reader works with the chips in the base or in the Dimension specific figures. How would the reader be able to identify a figure you own?
    They have started to develop that type of technology in LEGO FUSION. If there was a camera, then it might be possible to identify a minifigure or at least specific parts of a minifigure. Of course, it could get confused if the minifig was not built with the correct parts, or the user used a photo instead of the actual minifigure.

Which is why it is probably best to use the chip technology - force parents to re-buy existing minifigs if the kid wants to play that character, and make sure that a purchase is made to play each character instead of users circumventing the system to get extra characters for free.
    Also, "started to develop that type of technology" doesn't mean it's at a state where it could be suitable for scanning minifigures or more elaborate builds. The camera-scanning in LEGO Fusion is extremely rudimentary, and I don't believe those sets have been extremely popular, so it makes a lot more sense for an initiative as big as LEGO Dimensions to go with a proven technology like NFC than a technology that is still in its infancy.

I don't think calling it "forcing parents to re-buy existing minifigures" is a very sensible way of putting this, though. Players are not somehow entitled to own the data from the game chip just because they already have the minifigure it comes with, any more than kids are entitled to own an actual set just because they already own all the minifigures it comes with. Just like ANY set that has a duplicate minifigure, it's up to the buyer to decide if they actually want the other contents of the set enough to get the set even though it comes with a figure they already have.
    Andor
    Aanchir said:

Also, "started to develop that type of technology" doesn't mean it's at a state where it could be suitable for scanning minifigures or more elaborate builds. The camera-scanning in LEGO Fusion is extremely rudimentary, and I don't believe those sets have been extremely popular, so it makes a lot more sense for an initiative as big as LEGO Dimensions to go with a proven technology like NFC than a technology that is still in its infancy.

No, but it shows they have been thinking about identification of lego parts from an image. I know lego fusion was poor, although the idea of it in fusion is quite different to scanning minifigs to open up a game character. Imagine if they could identify different head-gear, heads, torsos and legs. You could create your own real minifig, then play it in a game. That would give them something different to what everyone else is doing, selling toys with a chip in.
    Aanchir said:

I don't think calling it "forcing parents to re-buy existing minifigures" is a very sensible way of putting this, though. Players are not somehow entitled to own the data from the game chip just because they already have the minifigure it comes with, any more than kids are entitled to own an actual set just because they already own all the minifigures it comes with. Just like ANY set that has a duplicate minifigure, it's up to the buyer to decide if they actually want the other contents of the set enough to get the set even though it comes with a figure they already have.

Of course, the child / parent has to decide if they want to buy a figure again if they already have it. The minifigures are there to increase the perceived value of each player, and to increase revenue by making players pay more for each extra character / level they want. No doubt they could sell the chips individually much cheaper, but they don't as by adding a minifig they can sell it for more. I wonder how long it will be before you can buy reverse-engineered fake chips for $1.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    I'm not sure about the game itself but some of those fun packs are worth it on their own. I'm planning on getting BTTF because of that exclusive hover board mold/print and I think the guitar is a new mold. I also plan on buying the Wicked Witch because it's the first Wizard of Oz figure. Hopefully there will be more Wizard of Oz fun packs and possibly even... sets? :O
    Andor
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    dannyrww said:
    More verification that figures can detach. Look at Unikitty's base and you can see the studs.
    Also the fact that it says "57 pcs" at the top says something.
    AanchirAndor
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,615
    Hoverboard!
    bobabricks
    Is the guitar new, or just a friends one?
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    TLG better not 'Kragle' their bricks and/or minifigs, because that would be too lame!

I am very curious, yet also quite sceptical. More over the price for the game as well as the extra packs are a mayor deterrent. 
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    edited April 2015
    Anyone have any idea whether or not these chips in these expansion packs are universal and compatible on all game console systems?

I do not see any markings on the pictures of the packaging indicating the microchips are only suitable for one particular gaming console system (e.g.: Xbox One or 360, etc.).

ps.
    that Wicked Witch minifig is wicked!
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91UYJLcRs6L._SL1500_.jpg

bobabricks
    CCC said:
    Is the guitar new, or just a friends one?
    Looks like the Friends one, but in a new color.
    Anyone have any idea whether or not these chips in these expansion packs are universal and compatible on all game console systems?

I do not see any markings on the pictures of the packaging indicating the microchips are only suitable for one particular gaming console system (e.g.: Xbox One or 360, etc.).
    Yes, the NFC chips are compatible with all the systems the game is being released on. Can't remember where I read that but I remember reading it.
    TheBigLegoskiAndor
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    After buying Infinity 2.0 at launch and watching the price halve after a couple weeks I reckon I'll wait on this. Definitely buying it though, it looks awesome!
    samiam391 said:
    Did anyone else click on this thread thinking they were going to find a long list of LEGO sets and their respective display dimensions?

I was trying to figure out how such a potentially boring thread could already have 2 pages of responses. 
    And this is the winning comment of the day...... had me laughing way to hard.
    Pitfall69carlqAndorAdzbadboy
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,354
    ^I know right. Although, with my obsession of Lego molds and what not, I instantly clicked on the thread :)
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    The snap response from my 8 year olds, who have boxes of Skylanders, but never had Disney 
    Infinity: wow that will be better than Skylanders because you can play with any mini figure. Me: no, I don't think it works like that, you'll only be able to play with special mini figures you buy. Them: oh. 

I watch my boys play the TT games and they spend ages making characters to play with - that feature always seems a pointless waste to me. 

I think there might be a fair bit of confusion/disappointment for kids familiar with rebuilding and creating new minifigs. 

the ideal thing would be if you could create new in-game characters that you could associate with a base. Then kids could copy their own mini fig creation and but it in game. But that would obviously kill sales, so I doubt they'll do it. 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,108
    edited April 2015
    ^this is exactly why I'm skeptical about a Lego toys to life game, if the parts could be read some how so you can mix things up and build what you want it'd be great, but i dont imagine for a second that would work.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Yep I do see a problem for lego  in that everyone already has the toys being brought to life. We don't have any 3 inch Disney characters or skylanders but we have hundreds of minifigs. Obviously we know why they won't work and why Lego wouldn't want them too but it does very clearly expose both the lie of toys-to-life and the blatant money grab. I can see a shed load of bad PR coming Lego's way with this.
    And the game better be special too, not just a rehash of the Lego games we already have. Don't have skylanders but if you read every review of Disney infinity they pretty much all say that the missions are OK/good but the longevity comes from the toybox. And that's certainly what we've found.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    I'm interested to see if there are ever any minifigs released for this game that cause aftermarket prices to crash on certain characters. For example, we know that LotR, a thought-to-be dead theme will have at least a few characters in Dimensions. I wonder, will we see reissues of the entire Fellowship? Moreso, they could also put Harry Potter characters in this game, as both are owned by Warner Bros.  It could be good for publicity if there are sought after Minifigures which are no longer available elsewhere included in this project.
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 355
    Well, my thoughts on this are that LEGO has finally decided to take over the world.
    I would prefer them to most politicians!

As far as Dimensions go, it looks good and I like the idea, but like the Disney one, it looks quite expensive for what it is. That said, I'll keep an open mind until I see more, unlike my children who have already told me what they think, and would like!
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 485
    edited April 2015
    at the moment it's still a GBP / USD 1:1 conversion. i'll probably pick up the starter set but not at launch. and as pointed out by others, if you hold off long enough the sets will be reduced or 2for1 like infinity or skylanders regularly are!

the interesting thing will be to see how the trade-in market handles this...
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 485
    edited April 2015
    also... dimensions will have to go some way to dent disney infinity 3.0 if it is going to be the rumoured star wars sets. if anything knocks skylanders off the top perch it will be playable star wars characters!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,248
    dougts said:
    Quite an evasive answer when a simple "yes, they are a standard mini figure"
    would have been much more clear.  Makes me think there is more to the story.  Perhaps the chip is embedded in the figure and it the base ?
    This is my question though. Are they really 'standard' figures from LEGO Europe, or 'Standard' Lego figures from China? The Chinese figures seem to have really crappy paint and cheaper plastic, and not sure how they will hold up with a kid playing with them. but maybe Im just thinking of older generation CMFs and maybe these new ones are better?

andhe
  • GreendudeGreendude Member Posts: 58
    I hope to god we get our chinese buddies cloning these chips ASAP. LEGO would be forced to issue unique game codes with each character, further illustrating their blatant cash grab with these "special bases" when a piece of printed paper would suffice. A £100 game should be a complete game but if they want cash so desperately, release a Dimensions theme of actual Lego sets including a code instead of repackaged polybags. I'm incredibly frustrated with LEGO, mostly because I know deep down i'm gonna end up buying these things regardless.
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    I don't think the game will be £100. Probably same price as skylanders or infinity base pack.
    If the character packs are £12 for a minifig and a mini vehicle I don't think that is much higher than you'd pay for the LEGO alone.

For people that are complaining about the price of these, have you actually seen the price of LEGO these days?
  • Mandz27Mandz27 ScotlandMember Posts: 35
    @Kevin_Hyatt the game is £99 with add ons being £14.99 for a fig and mini build and the team packs are £29.99 .
    Although I'm sure by Christmas they'll be half price. And waiting a few months will avoid any teething troubles as well.
    Greendude said:
    I hope to god we get our chinese buddies cloning these chips ASAP. LEGO would be forced to issue unique game codes with each character, further illustrating their blatant cash grab with these "special bases" when a piece of printed paper would suffice. A £100 game should be a complete game but if they want cash so desperately, release a Dimensions theme of actual Lego sets including a code instead of repackaged polybags. I'm incredibly frustrated with LEGO, mostly because I know deep down i'm gonna end up buying these things regardless.
    A piece of printed paper would NOT suffice. You cannot save individualized character or vehicle data to a printed piece of paper and bring it to a friend's house to compete against or trade for their characters. A lot of people seem to think that the only point of NFC figures is unlocking in-game data, but really there's a lot more to it than that. The ability to write NEW data to the NFC chips makes them more like a memory card than a simple unlock code.

And if you know you're going to end up buying sets you don't actually value, then you really have nobody to be frustrated with but yourself.
    AndorGoldchains
  • charlatan13charlatan13 Member Posts: 118
    Wow. Finally saw the video, read the comments and I'm excited since I see lots of possibilities here. As some members have said - I'm not concerned with price since I imagine there will be promotions and deals available for those who wait (I'll be one of those fools doing the first day purchase).  My concern is availability. Amiibo availability has been a joke - I simply gave up. I'll probably pre-order the packs I want just to make sure I have them (along with any others the kids might want).  I've done the Skylanders route (skipped the last one since the kids weren't interested) so having minifigures and pieces that can actually be repurposed just seems like a bonus to me.  I see loads of potential here if the game is done right.  For example - a Monster Fighter level where you actually collect the Moonstones from each of the monsters and then take them to the Vampyre castle to complete the level.  Very excited - can't wait to see how the game turns out. 
    Andor
    There is an article on thebrickfan.com that talks about how you can see some characters on the box (possibly ghostbusters, scooby doo). Does anyone have a pic of the full box art where you can see these. I would love Ghostbusters to be a theme, especially if we get Silmer in some form. It seems to be hinted at with the pke meter in the video.
    Andor
    They sound like Dr. Who is likely too.
    Andor
    Me: Dr. Who sucks.
    Wife: Who sucks?
    Me: Yes.
    Wife: Who?
    Me: Yes.
    This went on for awhile...
    bobabricksRainstorm26AndorGoldchainslegomattGalactusalexwilDoctorMcGann
    Seriously though, I used to watch Dr. Who in the late 70's and I never really got into it. I'm sure Dr. Who doesn't suck, I just said that under my breath and my wife heard me. My wife has NEVER heard of Dr. Who.
    dannyrwwChrisbstm

Pitfall69 said:
    My wife has NEVER heard of Dr. Who.
    Who?
    EddieDoesntMindOmastarlegomattChrisbstm
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Aanchir said:
    The ability to write NEW data to the NFC chips makes them more like a memory card than a simple unlock code.
    Yeah, but it's not expensive high cost magic either. It's not like this technology costs more than a piece of paper to produce anyway though nowadays. Even wholesale NFC chips only cost a few cents each from China. It may go up to a few tens of cents for a bit more storage, but it's not like we're archiving the Encyclopedia Britannica either. Typically it's just things like "This character is level 7, the colour blue, and called SomePerson", all of which can be stored comfortably in 12 bytes.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/cheap-nfc-tag.html

• dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    I want the back of the box to leak so we can see more info.