Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2015 Inside Tour

Comments

• legojeroenlegojeroen NetherlandsMember Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    The person I called simply said: 'One moment please, I need to open a special window for that' *clikck click* and done! But, a online payment option would have been easier as I could only call during buisness hours in wich I also work. Bummer the botel was full! I did manage to book an extra night, wich is nice because I have a 7-8 hours drive back home ;) Is anyone else here on the last tour? 
  • PeterM76PeterM76 Member Posts: 2
    skybert80 said:
    The tour is getting closer by the day! Anybody else from the forum going on the first tour of May?
    Tried to book an extra night at the hotel to avoid stress on the last day, but they were fully booked and I had to change my flight. So check in advance if you plan something like that!
    Also, the payment procedure for the Tour leaves something to be desired. You have to call in your credit card details over the phone, no web payment or bank transfer options are available.
    Because this counts as foreign usage of my credit card, my bank charges an extra 1.75% of the amount paid (I don't know the English term for this, but it's a sort of currency fee). This makes a few extra $ that could have been spent better in the staff shop. Which I plan to totally raid and thereby put myself in immeasureable credit card debt.
    Regardless of these details, I'm looking forward to Billund, Legoland and meeting other hardcore Lego fans. :)
    Hey there- long time lurker first time poster :)

I'll be there for the first tour in a few weeks.  I arrive on Tuesday and leaving Saturday.  I'm looking forward to meeting you all!
    bobabrickspixiepete321
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    I would love to get into one of these one day.
  • skybert80skybert80 NorwayMember Posts: 15
    Holy $*** it's next week! :dizzy: 
  • RophanRophan Member Posts: 1
    I'll be there for the first tour too. Hope to meet other Lego fans.  :D
    pixiepete321
  • pixiepete321pixiepete321 UKMember Posts: 5
    edited May 2015
    Hello everyone :)

I'm Pete and I am fairly new to this forum.
    I collect mainly Star Wars and Super Heroes, if that matters to anyone :P

I wanted to ask if anyone else on this forum might be going to the Lego Inside Tour on the 5th May? I'm going myself but on my own and my flight lands Tuesday morning in Billund.

It would be nice to find out if anyone here is going so that I know someone before I get there as the actual Tour doesn't start until Wednesday :) sorry if this sounds a bit like a dating profile, haha!

Thanks,
    Pete
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,547
    Yes, there will be other Bricksetters on it. Take a look at http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/16661/2015-inside-tour
    I'm gonna be there on the first tour in May :)

Who else is arriving on the Tuesday? Would be great to meet with others that are there.

Pete
    I'll be arriving tomorrow at around 2 PM. Going to check in and run straight for Legoland, happy to meet up with anyone during the afternoon or evening for some dinner etc. :)
    pixiepete321
    A hot tip by the way:

Upon check-in at the hotel I believe we will receive a folder containing among other things a season pass for Legoland which in turn will give the following discounts (copied from legoland.dk):

Booklet containing 17 discount coupons for food, drinks, LEGO® boxed sets, etc.

Collect your discount booklet from the LEGO® Shop - limit of one coupon booklet per Season Pass holder.

You must present a valid Season Pass during collection.

The booklet contains the following coupons:

Spring coupons valid until June 28
    50% discount on 1 T-Wrap at Face Paint (1 coupon)
    25% discount on a LEGO boxed set of your choice in the LEGO Shop (1 coupon)
    25% discount on total bill (max. 6 people) at the Grill House (1 coupon)
    20% discount on a total purchase exceeding DKK 300 in the LEGO Shop (1 coupon)
    Photo pass at a special price of DKK 160 at one of the photo sale locations (1 coupon)
    Play three times, pay for two, at any Games stall (1 coupon)
    30% discount on 1 LEGO wrist watch at the LEGO Shop (1 coupon)
    Purchase 6 mini donots and get 1 cup of coffee, tea or chocolate free (1 coupon)
    Purchase 1 ice cream cone and get 1 snowball (chocolate covered marshmallow) free (1 coupon)

<paste end>

The discounts in italic font should come in handy for new, large sets not found in the employee store. <drool>UCS TIE Fighter</drool>

20% off Pick-A-Brick isn't a bad deal either, since it's more expensive than in regular LEGO stores.

Lego_Starpixiepete321
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    ^ UCS Tie Fighter <drool> indeed. Happy Star Wars day everyone!
    ^I want one of these chocolate covered marshmallow snowball things. ;)
    CurvedRoadPlate
    To sweet for me, so I'd be happy to mail you one gift-wrapped. xD 
    bobabricks
    Don't worry. My guess is that everyone else will arrive tomorrow, since we do pay for the night Tue/Wed at the hotel. But yes, let's use the other thread!
    Cheers :)
    Skybert80 let me know when you arrive and I'll be happy to meet up :)
    Arrived and in my room early :) yay!
    skybert80 said:
    To sweet for me, so I'd be happy to mail you one gift-wrapped. xD 
    Seriously though, I do want to see a picture. ;)
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,880
    If you haven't been on the tour yet this year, but are going to be, avoid Bricklink. People are already selling the tour exclusive set... :(
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,380
    edited May 2015
    If you haven't been on the tour yet this year, but are going to be, avoid Bricklink. People are already selling the tour exclusive set... :(
    Yes - a timely warning. They couldn't even wait a few weeks until the last 2015 tour is done to list the set. Nice. Although the listing I saw got taken down so maybe an attack of conscience, or perhaps a 'polite' request from LEGO.....?
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    There are pics of the set on Flickr & on other fan news sites too; stumbled on the pic this morning, wondered what it was ... realised & then felt sad about the 'spoilers'. It's going to be hard for those going on the later tours to miss, unfortunately. :-(
    edited May 2015
    I saw one of the 2015 exclusives on BricLink in the custom sets section (I was looking for a design by me set :P). The one I saw was $3000 CAD. That is quite a bit, a lot more than last year's set.

I didn't find any chocolate covered marshmallow snowballs on BrickLink though. :(
    I saw a glimpse of it on the brick fan. Less then half a second. I was able to close the site before getting the surprise spoiled. Glad that brickset doesn't show it! 
  • NoghriNoghri Honogh'rMember Posts: 4
    Well, I'm one of the lucky 35 attendees of this first 2015 Inside Tour, and I'm pretty disappointed to see that one of us (two, actually) couldn't wait more than 36 hours before selling his own set. A small group of us are closely keeping in touch, and we've been able to quickly spot the set on Bricklink and find out who was the seller. Let's say that we're not that much suprised. Not all of the 35 attendees were that much on the Tour for the experience and to share their love of the brick, but rather for the potential financial benefits they could make with the exclusive sets and discounted items we received. And I find it's a shame, seeing all the people on the forums who would dream to attend a Lego Inside Tour. Anyway, I'd rather cut one of my arms than selling my Inside Tour exclusive set !     
    Daraghlegojeroentedwardbobabrickshkcrazy88snowhitie
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,547
    So the scalpers have got wind and, as you say, are attending for all the wrong reasons.

That's a shame particularly given the scarcity of places.
    thedingman5Lego_Starbobabrickshkcrazy88
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    There's not really any way that selling off the swag will come close to covering the cost of the trip, so I wouldn't worry too much about scalpers taking over the available slots (still disappointing though).  More likely is someone that just didn't like this year's set.  One can be a fan of Lego but not like all of their products.  For example, I am anti-constraction.  If that were the exclusive set, I'd probably sell it.
    edited May 2015
    I can understand the idea of selling the set if you're not into it. But in respect of the 3 other groups of people that will still attend the Tour this year, I would at least wait 6 weeks until all the Tours are over to sell it, so you don't spoil the surprise. Most probably why Brickset and all the other respectable Lego news sites don't relay the pics yet (and I highly appreciate that!). That's the Lego spirit (to my humble opinion).
    And according to me, this fall into the conditions of the NDA we have to sign before starting the Tour. 
    legojeroenbobabricks
  • evertevert Member Posts: 16
    Last year i when on the tour and is a great fan experience. Also the trip is well worth the price considering what you get. A very exclusive look in the Lego brand. The organisation is excelent. The ladies are doing there best to make everybody (young and old) to feel at home.

For everybody that is coming to the tour a bit of advice.:
    1) Visted the park on the first day. The program is very packed and there not much time to look at the park during the tour.
    2) If you want to see a special set in the vault. Make sure that you know the year that the set has been made. In this way it's easier to the special set.
    3) stay one day longer so you have time to pack and don't need to rush. Last year there where people that had to leave during the tour to take a flight.
    4) Take the car so you can buy a lot of sets in employee shop.I did so I have showcase filled with great sets and memories from the inside tour.
    5) In the lego park has normal store and a discount shop. The discount store is open only a few monets during the day. Last year there were special sets in the shop (40083).
    6) Buy sets at the employee store. The shop in the park and Denmark is more expensive than the US or EU.
    7) in the employee store you can only buy two of the same sets. Some sets you can only buy 1 last this was the simpson house and mearsk ship.
    8) Take umbrella with you. You are going to Denmark ;). Last yearI was very luck and there was only sun. I heared the most of the time on the other tours is was raining.

Most of all enjoy the tour. It's is a mix with great people and once in a lifetime trip.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,830
    Here's a question I haven't seen asked: what's the standard of dress for the LEGO Inside Tour? Would a LEGO T-shirt, a pair of long trousers, and an unbuttoned flannel shirt over top (and a raincoat for outdoors, of course) be too casual for the actual tour days? Are there any parts of the tour like any of the dinners that I should have slightly dressier clothes for?

I know this is probably a bit of a silly question — the actual recruitment workshop I went to in February was VERY casual, and those were people who were presenting themselves for an actual job, not just taking a particularly special vacation. But I don't want to look so casual that the people I meet (LEGO employees and fellow fans alike) don't think I'm taking the specialness of this once-in-a-lifetime event seriously.
  • stevenzhangstevenzhang Member Posts: 445
    anyone post a picture of the 2015 inside tour gift please? 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,262
    I think that the mods would prefer no one post pictures of it until the last tour is finished, but someone might be able to PM it to you

@Aanchir - I haven't been but I suspect you're probably over thinking it a bit, it's a holiday, more about you're enjoyment than anything else.
    bobabricksAanchirLegoboy
    @Anachir: wear whatever you want as long as it's comfy. A shirt for the award show maybe. I wore a tie, and felt slightly overdressed. :)
    Dress code is really casual. Only for the last evening, hosting the "Lego Awards show", where the dress code is "Business Casual", but there's no obligations !
  • scottwb2010scottwb2010 ScotlandMember Posts: 239
    @Aanchir as others have said its very casual, some even wore casual shorts as it was warm last June. But if you are to be wearing a Lego T-shirt, I would make sure it was an original Lego T-shirt, as they don't like fakes of any sort or people profiting from the company.
    Aanchir
    edited May 2015
    Thanks, @Shib, @skybert80, @Noghri, and @scottwb2010 (hey, you seem to have the same initials as I do!).

Pretty much only LEGO T-shirts I have are either real, officially licensed LEGO T-shirts or T-shirts for LEGO fan sites like BZPower (as seen in this photo from my trip to LEGOLAND Florida last year) and fan events like Brickfair Virginia. I haven't ordered from any of those unlicensed T-shirt sites like Redbubble or TeeFury so that won't be an issue.

I do get a bit frustrated sometimes that there don't exist a lot of officially licensed T-shirts for my favorite themes like BIONICLE and Ninjago in adult sizes, but the unlicensed tee sites usually aren't much better about filling that void than the LEGO Group's own licensing partners. There's just not a tremendous amount of demand for those kinds of shirts from adult fans, I guess (at least compared to licensed themes which have a bit more pop-culture notoriety even outside the LEGO fan community). Thankfully I was lucky enough to get a cool, official BIONICLE T-shirt at New York Comic-Con last year!

Anyway, doesn't look like it'll be shorts weather next week when I'm there. At least not for a guy who's used to Virginia temperatures — the expected high temperatures are much lower in Billund than in my hometown! But I have plenty of clothes that I think should be comfortable enough.
    LostInTranslationsnowhitie
    @Aanchir If you get the chance to have Abdallah as one of your Lego Inside Tour team staff, don't hesitate to take a tour of Legoland Miniland with him. He built some amazing buildings there and is the perfect guide for an interesting visit.
    Aanchir
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Aanchir, Your normal clothes should do just fine in Billund, and it will def be colder than in VA this week. So excited you are going this year. Have a blast and please post your very original thoughts about the LIT for the rest of us. Your posts are quite helpful and interesting, and we appreciate all that you share with the rest of us. I hope that your Dad and brothers are going as well. Have a great time, and don't forget to take old minifigs you no longer want to trade in the Park. 
    Aanchir
    legogal said:
    Aanchir, Your normal clothes should do just fine in Billund, and it will def be colder than in VA this week. So excited you are going this year. Have a blast and please post your very original thoughts about the LIT for the rest of us. Your posts are quite helpful and interesting, and we appreciate all that you share with the rest of us. I hope that your Dad and brothers are going as well. Have a great time, and don't forget to take old minifigs you no longer want to trade in the Park. 
    My twin brother is going, but not my younger brother or my dad. Early in the year my brother checked out the possibility of my dad going in my place in case I got the job I interviewed for in February, but it turns out that the LEGO Inside Tour doesn't allow that kind of substitution. I didn't end up getting the job anyway, so in any case it didn't end up becoming an issue.

Good idea about the minifigs!
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    For anyone going on the inside tour, and getting to visit the Vault... do me a favor... see if you can count how many wooden box sets they have in the vault, or ask one of the tour guides.  

I've come up with a tally (and images) of over 80 different wooden box sets (1949-80) in the wooden box set chapter of my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide...  and I do believe that many (most?) of them may be of local manufacture (in each country)... since they all seem to vary so much.  This could help explain why there are so few (as I am anticipating) in the Billund Vault/Collections.

Thanks!   :)
    bobabricks
     But if you are to be wearing a Lego T-shirt, I would make sure it was an original Lego T-shirt, as they don't like fakes of any sort or people profiting from the company.
    Then I won't take my Tee-Fury spaceship spaceship spaceship shirt with me. I'll put on a shirt from my other favorite Danish 'product'; Volbeat!  ;) Thank you!
    I've written some fairly detailed reports (with loads of photos) on the first tour of 2015 along with a review & tips for new participants. I tried not to include any particular spoilers (like the exclusive set and what freebies you get), but read at your own risk. Check out http://www.brikkebloggen.no/?cat=3
    legojeroen
  • silvrilysilvrily AustraliaMember Posts: 3
    Awesome review skybert80, it's very helpful! Regarding the "box to ship home from the employee shop", is it one box per person or per group/family?
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Just read your review @skybert80

All I can say is fantastic - it really transported me back to some great memories from last year's tour! Thanks. 
    silvrily said:
    Awesome review skybert80, it's very helpful! Regarding the "box to ship home from the employee shop", is it one box per person or per group/family?

Thanks! One box per person.
  • trax_3trax_3 Member Posts: 59
    Reading the review from @skybert80 i'm even more excited about next week now. Wondering if anybody else on the tour next week wants to meet up for dinner on Tuesday evening?
    trax_3 said:
    Reading the review from @skybert80 i'm even more excited about next week now. Wondering if anybody else on the tour next week wants to meet up for dinner on Tuesday evening?
    I'm arriving in Billund tomorrow morning, and yeah, I'd be open to making some plans for dinner Tuesday!
  • CoyotelilyCoyotelily God's Own County, UKMember Posts: 659
    We're not on the insider tour but we arrive on Wednesday - can't wait 
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,920
    @skybert80 great review. I am going to start saving money for next year's one. :-)
  • PeterM76PeterM76 Member Posts: 2
    Noghri said:
    @Aanchir If you get the chance to have Abdallah as one of your Lego Inside Tour team staff, don't hesitate to take a tour of Legoland Miniland with him. He built some amazing buildings there and is the perfect guide for an interesting visit.
    I second this 1000%.  Abdallah is a great guy and has a lot of stories about the things he's built.  For example, he was the first person to build an official LEGO mosaic picture.  Ask him how he figured out how to do it- it's a funny story.
    trax_3
  • trax_3trax_3 Member Posts: 59
    Aanchir said:
    trax_3 said:
    I'm arriving in Billund tomorrow morning, and yeah, I'd be open to making some plans for dinner Tuesday!
    Great. I arrive later this morning. If you and anyone else wants to meet for dinner let's get together say 6.30pm in the hotel reception area. Will be wearing black jeans and a grey hooded jumper