Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Microfighters - A Great Collection or Waste of Money?

Comments

• SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    edited March 2015
    ^Nice
    I like the list
    Thank you for reminding me Hasslehoff was the original Fury

I realized that my list was way too hero-centric
    These are MicroFIGHTERS after all

I would maybe add one of those big snake things from the end of the first Avengers. They were APCs if I remember right

Also something with Dr Doom

By the way, is there a difference between the Blackbird and X-Jet?
    VorpalRyu
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,313
    edited March 2015
    ^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure the X-Jet replaced the Blackbird at some point, can't remember if it was the comics or one of the cartoons.

Yes, the snake apc thing from the Avengers movie, would have to be done. Off-hand, I can't recall any vehicles Doom used, but yeah, need more villains' vehicles.
    xiahna
    Just thought I'd throw up a few of the Microfighter designs I've done, if TLG does them, we can see how close I got.

First is Dash Rendar's Outrider, a YT-2400, along side the Falcon, a YT-1300 (for those who didn't know).

Second is Obi-Wan's Jedi Interceptor (I used the TIE Interceptor for inspiration).

DrmnezsnowhitiechuckpKevin_HyattPitfall69xiahna
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    VorpalRyu said:
    This idea could be utilised to bring more people into the Lego community, with the current price point (or maybe a little cheaper). If TLG gets a few more IPs into the range, non-Lego fans would consider it, as its not 'one of those expensive sets,' & ease of the build, after having fun with it, "hmmm, set XXX70 looked interesting, might grab that on the way home tonight." Just imagine the possibilities, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, etc, etc. Heck, even a few older IPs gathering dust like Babylon 5, Farscape, could grab non Lego fans attentions.
    Interesting post, @VorpalRyu .  I became an action figure collector shortly after SW EP1.  To be honest, and I hope this isn't viewed as sacrilege, I'm not much of a fan of Lego minifigures.  The yellow faces and square legs kind of pale in comparison to the accurate facial sculpts and 10 points of articulation some 4 inch figures have.  But, Battlestar Galactic, hmmm, the remake especially.  I think you might be on to something! 
    VorpalRyu
    If TLG do the Outrider, they'll want an enemy vehicle to pair it up with, so I present the Virago with Prince Xizor (ignore the purple parts of the ship, I need part #6089147 for the wings, but its not in LDD, yet).

xiahna
    YAY!!! My Microfighters collection is complete! My deliveries finally arrived, now, what to build first?

Thinking I might do Slave I & the Sith Infiltrator this afternoon...
    Drmnezchuckpxiahna
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    ^^ I personally thought they were all great builds
    All done, couldn't help myself... :( Have to say, my favourites for the exclusives were the Ghost & Slave I. Overall, my top five for these would go;

1. Slave I
    2. Millennium Falcon
    3. AT-AT
    4. X-Wing
    5. Snowspeeder
    xiahna
    Forgot to mention, the exclusive were the first sets I've had in a long while that were missing pieces... Jek 14 was missing his hair piece & Luke's Landspeeder had an extra 1×2 grill plate instead of a 1×2 single stud plate. I thought it was a little odd, as I figured being exclusives they'd have more quality control.
    xiahna
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    @VorpalRyu Oh, that´s not nice. But I still envy your exclusives collection as I don´t have any exclusive Microfighters.
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    They're nice looking. Where are the ones in tins from? They expensive?
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    @Kevin_Hyatt They are exclusives from Celebration IV and Comic Con.
    Kevin_Hyatt
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    @VorpalRyu Oh why did you post this?  I was blissfully unaware on the Slave 1 model and now have the overwhelming urge to either purchase or bricklink the parts for this.  I am now going to spend the next couple of hours trying to source the parts and compare versus the price of the exclusive. 
    The more you find out about Lego the more it costs :)  Ah well it just adds to the fun

I'd have to say, after building them, I hope TLG release variants of the exclusives into the regular series, particularly Slave I, maybe they can do it as Jango's Slave I. If they don't do something like that, I would suggest bricklinking them. If you are wanting to bricklink them, I'd go with;

1. Slave I
    2. Sith Infiltrator
    3. The Ghost
    4. Luke's Landspeeder
    5. Jek 14's Starfighter (my least favourite overall, its a bit big for a Microfighter)
    xiahna
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    @vorpalRyu.....do you have a picture of the landspeeder built?
    I can throw one up, but its not 100%, waiting for TLG to send a 1×2 single stud plate in brick yellow...
    xiahna
    @ryjay here it is, if you look closely, you can see the missing plate where the upright for the middle engine is located. I put the extra 1×2 silver grill plate on top of the middle engine. :smiley: 

chuckpKevin_Hyattryjayxiahna
    edited April 2015
    ^ Still think this should have been dark orange or reddish brown for the secondary elements.
    xiahna
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    VorpalRyu Nice collection! It's surprising that 2 of the sets had missing parts. Are the part bags normal LEGO bags? Just wondering if the exclusives are hand packed rather than machine packed due to the limited run. Either way the final builds still look great. 
    @chuckp, the bags were a mix of bags with the old style tape gun tape securing the contents (red in this case) & the bags that had flap of extra plastic with adhesive to seal them, would have considered them repacked, but all the seals on the tins & boxes were intact. The weirdest thing was the Darth Maul in the Sith Infiltrator was the #5000062 one, still in the polybag, neatly hidden under the main bag.
    xiahna
    VorpalRyu Definitely sounds like the parts were hand packed then. It's a bit sad the machines are more accurate <Insert Terminator joke here ;)> Nice of LEGO to replace the parts for you. If you get a pic of all the Microfighters together, exclusive and non, I hope you'll post it. It would be neat to see. 
    VorpalRyu
    edited April 2015
    @chuckp, yeah, it was nice, they even threw in a couple of yoda & flight suit Luke keyrings, I was a little worried as I had heard elsewhere that TLG won't send parts for exclusives, to stop peeps getting rare parts needed to make extras of them.

I'll get them all together some time this weekend & snap a pic or two to throw up here, hopefully, I'll be able to follow that up with pics of my design ideas for more Microfighters (curious to see how close I get to any TLG do), then finish writing up my reviews for the Microfighters & get them up on BS. :smiley: 
    Kevin_Hyattchuckpxiahna
    I've found parts lists for the exclusives on bricklink but can't see an easy way to search for them all at once. Do I have to search for each part individually? Going to take a while to make these extra micro fighters!
    @Kevin_Hyatt, I will be scanning in the instruction booklets for these & converting them to PDFs (a safety net in case anything happens the originals), & as long as TLG don't have issues with it (someone from admin here is going to be speaking to they), I will be giving copies of them to the admin team to have available on brickset. Like instructions for regular sets, these have inventories at the back of the book. :smile: 
    Kevin_Hyattchuckpxiahna
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    I like that landspeeder....pretty cool
    Thanks @VorpalRyu now I need them all!
    chuckp
    @Kevin_Hyatt, if you're looking to bricklink the exclusives, I'm hoping to have the manuals converted to PDF by the end of the month. Like the regular manuals, they have an inventory list in the back. Even if they can't be thrown up on brickset, I am willing to share the PDFs (hopefully if TLG have issue with BS having them up, they at least won't take issue with emailing them to others).

^^ Three things are not as per the instructions, can anyone pick it?

One curiosity, Luke's Landspeeder is not as per the design on tin, the engines/struts were changed for some reason.
    xiahna
    edited April 2015
    Have a few more Microfighter sets done, I'll throw some of the others up here soon, but I'm looking for a good Rebel Alliance vehicle to throw down against this guy...
    Any ideas? :smiley: 
    Aanchirxiahna
    Hoping we might see a few of these in the third series...
    77ncaachampschuckpKevin_HyattAanchirGoldchainsyys4uxiahna
    @VorpalRyu Very nice! I thought the exclusive micro fighters might stand out from the rest due to the higher part counts, but they all look great together. I guess I know what my next Ebay purchase will be. :smile: 
    The average piece count is 95 pieces for the regular Microfighters & the exclusives average 102 pieces. The thing that pushes the average up is that the Ghost is 132/134 pieces (the fanexpo variant has two pieces more, Kanan's lightsaber I suspect is the reason), otherwise most of the piece counts are around the same numbers as the regular Microfighters.

Good luck with hunting them down on eBay, patience seems be the key, I managed some good prices, but there are a few sellers trying to ramp the values up.
    xiahna
    @chuckp & @Kevin_Hyatt, if either of you pick up the Fanexpo variant of the Ghost, I'll send you guys a PDF copy of the SDCC variant, I want to know if there is any difference in the instructions apart from construction of the minifig...
    xiahna
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    VorpalRyu said:
    Hoping we might see a few of these in the third series...
    A-wing and Y-wing for the win!

B-wing would have to follow, naturally.
    xiahna
    edited April 2015
    @77ncaachamps, did someone mention a B-Wing? :smile: 

Now I need a Rebel Alliance vehicle to face-off against the AT-ST & an Imp ship to face-off the B-Wing...
    Goldchainsxiahna
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    edited April 2015
    Alright, then we need

sandcrawler
    Rebel cruiser
    Grievious's cycle
    Imperial shuttle
    sith infiltrator
    at-dp walker
    z-95 starfighter
    droid gunship
    gungan bongo submarine
    Starhopper
    Inquistor's tie advanced
    Jedi T-6 shuttle
    malevolence
    MTT
    police gunship
    star commuter shuttle
    phantom
    umbaran starfighter
    Death Star (not a vehicle, I know)

THAT should keep you busy, @VorpalRyu! ;)
    @77ncaachamps, my wife suggested the Death Star, so I might play around with that one, as for the Wheel Bike, I've already done Grievous' Soulless One starfighter to face-off against Obi-Wan's Jedi Interceptor. The TIE Advanced might be one to battle the Y-Wing (could pit the B-Wing against the TIE Bomber). As for the rest, I might toy around with a few of them, although I was looking at the MTT, so that will probably get in there.
    xiahna
    I am slowly bricklinking each of the exclusives adn am trying to get a list of parts for the ghost but am struggling on that one.  I have the landspeeder and the sith infiltratator parts hopefully arriving soon.  I love the micro fighters Series
    I'm hoping to turn all the instructions into PDFs before the end of April, @bendybadger, & as long as TLG have no issues with Brickset having them as downloads, I'll be handing them copies. If that isn't allowed, but TLG has no issues with people sending copies to others, I will be willing to email copies of them to everyone after them.

Keep in mind, my Ghost is the SDCC variant (it has Chopper C1-10P as the pilot), as far as I know the FanExpo variant differs only in that Kanan Jarrus is the pilot. Hoping, that once I have the books converted to PDF, someone here who has the FanExpo variant can verify that the only difference is the pilot. :smile: 
    xiahna
    Thought I'd put it to the people, which do you prefer? The landspeeder on the left is the concept design that features on the tin & instruction booklet, while the one on the right is the actual released version of the NYCC Luke's Landspeeder...

Personally, I prefer the original concept, the struts look a lot more streamlined.
    chuckpxiahna
    I too prefer the original concept design but I like the inclusion of the side grill plates on the released version
    VorpalRyu
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited April 2015
    The 'left' one is more accurate to the original vehicle. Plus there is not supposed to be any grill or vents on the engines, as the original is perfectly smooth on the side. And the dark red wedge plate adds the necessary color & design that spans across to the engines.
    VorpalRyu
    Original with a 1x2 flat tile instead of the grille
    VorpalRyu
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    I guess the latter one is more sturdy and compact, which is suitable for the MicroFighters line. Though I prefer the former for it's looks.
    VorpalRyu
    Here's my current line-up of custom Microfighter designs in possible match-ups (please ignore any lilac ship parts, they are place holders for part #6089147, still waiting for TLG to add it to LDD):

Hopefully we'll see TLG release details for a series 3 at Celebration VII...
    Kevin_HyattGalactusxiahna
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    I like the A and B Wings as well as the TIE
    Probably a shoe-in for all 3 too
    I'm currently modding the Planets CloudCar plus Polybags Jedi Interceptor and A-Wing into Microfighters.

Hope to have them ready for Yorkshire Brick Show and will post here when done too.
    ^ Curious to see what you come up with...
    Kevin_Hyattxiahna
    To counter the thread title thought I'd post here too that asda gave the xwing Microfighters at £4.49 now. Great deal.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    I already had the X-Wing on an impulse buy and enjoyed building it, and managed to get the AAT and TIE Interceptor for 50% off. 

At that point I decided to just finish up the set. I found the Falcon and tank easily enough, but the Star Destroyer was a pain to track down.

Is there any particular reason the Star Destroyer seems so popular (or at least it was in this area)?