Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO Speed Champions sets - your thoughts?

2»

Comments

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Warning: Dust is the #1 thing to watch out for while applying the stickers!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited March 2015
    The Speed Champions were an appetizer and only made me hungry for more. So busted out the twin Ferrari F430 Challenges for something meatier.

Hit the spot and were satisfying builds but is even worse on the stickers than the Speed Champions. It was like "Holy STAMPs Batman!!!" level.
    chuckp
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    I'm usually in the anti-sticker camp too, but I think this line actually needs the stickers. I built the 918 this weekend initially without the stickers and it looked like it was missing something without them.

The nice thing is that the individual cars are cheap enough that Bricklinkers will part them out so obtaining replacement sticker sheets shouldn't be a problem if the stickers crack over time. 
  • jalcon22jalcon22 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    I guess these are the successors to the Lego Racers? I hear alot of people talk about how the Lego Racers kind of failed, and have among the worst resale value. Yet the ferrari 1:17 sets seem to do great on ebay, no? I'm alittle confused on this notion.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    jalcon22 said:
    I guess these are the successors to the Lego Racers? I hear alot of people talk about how the Lego Racers kind of failed, and have among the worst resale value. Yet the ferrari 1:17 sets seem to do great on ebay, no? I'm alittle confused on this notion.
    I have doubts that Racers could be considered a failure, considering it was such a long-lived theme. And poor resale value is not a good indication of how successful a theme was. BIONICLE sets were massively successful, but BIONICLE sets and parts do not have a good resale value currently because so many sets that were bought ended up flooding the "used" market once kids inevitably grew out of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened with Racers.

Big, AFOL-oriented sets like the Modular Buildings don't have this issue to nearly the same extent. The higher price means fewer are bought in the first place, and the people who do buy them are more likely to be committed LEGO fans who won't just "grow out of them" and offload their collection in eBay lots or yard sales after owning them for a few years.
  • Ladder19JTKLadder19JTK Hudson ValleyMember Posts: 209
    Just a quick questions....Are Speed Champions exclusive to Toys R' Us and Lego stores/[email protected]?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,702
    edited March 2015
    ^I was wondering that too. I thought just the Porsche set was a TRU exclusive but I haven't seen any of them stocked at Wal-Mart or Target.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,155
    They definitely aren't in the UK. I have seen them at Tesco and Argos. Might just be a regional stock issue.
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    so far for the states, I've only heard of Toys-R-Us having them. none at Target, Wal-Mart, or Meijer stores so far.
  • nolatronnolatron Member Posts: 39
    I've been on the fence about picking up a few of the single cars, but I might grab 2 or 3.  Probably won't go for the larger sets.  If I do, probably just the Ferrari truck one.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,237
    In Australia they're not exclusive to TRU, I've seen them at Big W, K-Mart, Target & Myer so far.
    xiahna
    I was on the fence too about these, but then I picked up the 4 cars and it changed my opinion. I'm gonna pick up the Ferrari truck for double points.
    ^ oops, I must have missed the memo that double points ended Sunday....