Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO LOTR in June!

Comments

• bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    Wish we could know more about the sets to help gauge the potential for the theme. I just watched the movies again recently and can only honestly see my buying the fellowship figs (in various styles I.E first movie and then maybe third movie for characters like merry and pippin in their respective esquire of rohan and gondorian tower guard armour) and maybe a castle or two depending on how they are done I.E. Not half a wall or something like SW home one or the echo base sets. I like the idea of mini sets for minas tirith, cirith ungol etc or massive ucs types depending on design quality and price of course. I just cannot get my head around LOTR lego being on a shelf in TRU for some reason I need to see pics to help with this. I love these films so much this just seems to weird a concept for me and these (for me at least) will most likely fail to entice a purchase , having said that though the various figs I am well up for and no doubt to achieve the goal of getting the entire fellowship will likely involve 2 or 3 set purchases. Weirdly I can really imagine the charecters as minifigs (omg second age sauron in full armour) but the sets I have no idea what they will do.
  • mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 291
    edited December 2011
    Can't wait for these. I think i'll just treat myself to the 'flagship' set
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited December 2011
  • FizzlemesexyFizzlemesexy Member Posts: 123
    I enjoy all the licenses but it's too many to budget. From the sets that are leaked, I'm going to get 9469 for more wizards and hopefully will find 9473/74 at a good sale.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The more I think about this, the more I'm concerned...

The lack of vehicles is my biggest concern, I think that is where Lego does best, be it Police or Star Wars, vehicles sell.

They need to hit the "base sets" out of the park with this one, I'm thinking...
    The castle set looks cool but they are still in the early stages and besides that some of the base sets are questionable. The spider for example looks straight out of harry potter.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ They look pretty much like I expected them too. It's hard to see any detail on the figs or exactly what they're doing with Gollum. All prelim of course. Is that a Wampa attacking Gimli?! :) Looks like a new horse, which is welcome.
    ^ Yes, it's a wampa. However if you look at the picture with the minifigure list, you'll see the big blue monster
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Where are these source pics you guys are referencing?
    edited December 2011
    Let this be a reminder to all that "Confidential" images and/or links to such are not permitted here.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    edited December 2011
    Phew! They look pretty lame to me, I might not be tempted if the finals look the same.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    edited December 2011
    Looks like the biggest appeal are the figs from looking at the preview pics. Helms Deep though seems to be the winner, but again, it's a preview.
    I loved the movies (even though Excalibur is my fav. fantasy epic) and my kid is seeing them for the first time so it's fresh again to me and it'll be fun to collect the sets (mostly for the figs and will heavily Moc and Mod the kits).
    Although the new Star Wars sets look great (again, grainy preview pics).
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,657
    Feel free to discuss the confidential images here but please don't post the link. Some less scrupulous sites have posted it so it probably won't take long for you to find it elsewhere.
    On 'brotha's brick' a couple days back they had their BEST 9 Lord of the Ring MOC's.
    Some are truly epic! Check 'em out in case you didn't see...
    http://www.brothers-brick.com/2011/12/16/9-of-the-best-lego-lord-of-the-rings-models-built-by-fans-gallery/
    @Huw...yep, won't post the link, no worries.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,990
    Hmm, these look a bit fake, or like someone making their own LOTR sets out of existing pieces. Though did look like a new long sword, so hopefully see some more new moulds in the actual sets.

I don't think it's a new horse, just an animated version of the classic horse rearing up. Unless they've made a new permanently rearing horse? Which would be odd.

A cave troll would always be welcome.
    As predicted a fail in my view based on early blurry pics though. To have no merry and pippin figs is simply a crime as you can't even get the whole fellowship, fairly certain mines of moria and weathertop featured them. I don't expect to get the whole fellowship in one or two sets that's fair enough but not to be able to get two major players of the trilogy at all is shocking I therefore will not be buying these. As with SW the figs are the real draw for me. Though I'm not impressed, I very much hope the theme does well for the sake of TLG.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,557
    I'm not even going to look for any Lego LOTR pics this early on, as the prelim. images are usually mega-disappointing. I'd rather let the anticipation build and reserve judgment until official, final set images become available.
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    They may be early pics but they may pretty much represent the final sets. I'd be expecting a lot disappointed fans.
    ^agreed they won't be far off the finals, but must admit my intial reaction to the star wars sets was negative until the final set pics were released now I have to have all of them! But for me it was about the figs and these are not good in terms of selections on offer.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited December 2011

I don't think Kingdoms is on the way out though, as there hasn't been a January Castle release ever in my memory. I'm thinking we'll get more Kingdoms info at the Toy Fairs with the summer sets.
    I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I really can't imagine any scenario where they release more Kingdoms sets to compete with LotR in June.
    Check out this link: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/thebrickshow/~3/lCWU1kC1DBw/more-lego-kingdoms-sets-coming-in-2012

Apparently castle is set to continue in 2012.

• streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    edited December 2011
    Interesting.That word 'continues' appears again. I've only seen that word 'continues' used in that context by one other member on this forum. All right then, is it correct to assume that 'continues' is LEGOspeak for not more new sets to roll out, but actually that existing sets are still on shelves and on-line for purchase? Much like POP 'continuing' into 2011, although all sets had been released in 2010? BON, alors is that the understanding?
    That was pretty ambiguous to me.
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    I've got some set names, No pics will be posted....

9469 Gandalf Arrives - Gandalf & Frodo

9470 Shelob Attacks - Samwise, Frodo & Gollum

9471 Uruk-hai Army - 4 x Uruk-hai, 1 x Rohirrim Soldier, 1 x Rider Of Rohan

9472 Attack On Weathertop - Merry, Frodo, Aragon & 2 x Nazgul

9473 Mines Of Moria - Pippin, Gimli, Legolas, Boromir, 2 x Goblins, 2 x Skeletons & Cave Troll

9474 The Battle Of Helms Deep - Aragon, Gimli, Legolas, Theoden, 5 x Uruk-hai
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,990
    Those set names are also on the homepage :p

I may be reading too much into it, but the reply about Lego Kingdoms said CASTLE would continue. Isn't that the generic na me for the theme (space, city, castle being core themes) with Kingdoms being the specific name for this current run (to distinguish it from the previous fantasy stuff I guess).

But either way I could see a world where LOTR and castle sets are both being sold, similar to the Star Wars and Space Police situation.
    ^very likely similar themes would use similar pieces and colours, molds etc. One would assume. So it makes sense to help keep costs down.
    @jasen, are merry and pippin really in there the site I went on did not list them. I kicked off cause I didn't think they were there. That's what I get for reading dodgy sites and looking at poor quality pics. So if this all proves acurate then I need 4 of the 6 sets to get the fellowship :-(.
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    So the Battle of Helms Deep really has just one elf? Nuts!
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    I really think that this series would benefit from a treatment like Heroica. Have three or four mid-sized sets depict different events as they go, but if you put them together you could have the larger adventure.
    So, for instance, instead of just one mid-sized set called "Mines of Moria" put out one called "Mines of Moria: Balin's Tomb" with the cave troll. Then put out "Mines of Moria: The Doors of Moria" (if that was their name) with the watcher of the deep. They could have a mine section or a Dwerrindelf (sp) and then the Bridge of Dhoom with a Balrog. Each could be a mid-sized set, but when you hooked them together would give you a great Moria adventure.
    Then, if you just wanted certain minifigs, you could just buy a set or two and be satisfied. But those who are fans would then also not be disappointed by a single scene representing an enormous location and would be anticipating the additions that over time would make a satisfying LEGO rendition.
    This could be done for Rivendell, Lothlorien, the Dark Forest and Wood Elves, with Helm's Deep and with the White City, and into the dark lands, and many other places, just with LOTR. Then you could even hook in the Hobbit sets where they overlap. If they went this route, and explained it a bit at the outset, I think they could make an outstanding line through smaller sets.
    What do you think?
    ^Excellent idea sonsofsceva.
    Could keep prices down per kit and would make a great collection. Number them and have maybe collectable mini maps to show where the scenes take place in Middle-Earth.
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    @Bellybutton290 I just cut n pasted what was written. I didn't see them either but I gues they are in there.
    @sonsofsceva .... nailed it.
    @sonsofsceva great idea. I thought they should have done this with echo base sets and might be an idea to add a rancor set for the new jabba palace.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Is it just me or its just that LEGO is not working as they should be on the LOTR theme. The pictures we have seen look like a mix of some Fantasy Era, some Harry Potter, and some Pirates, so nothing new or special as it should be for LOTR. Maybe seeing the pictures in better quality would help. But my expectations are very high as being a big fan of the LOTR cult :P
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Just saw the prelim pics of the 2012 LOTR sets. To me very poor and nowhere near the quality of MMV....I mean not even approaching. Oh well my wallet can rest a bit easier.....looks like a few minifigs and thats it for me from this line.
    Just wanted to add I have a feeling these are going to be in heavily discounted POTC territory maybe a notch above POP quite quickly. The LOTR series has much more of an adult fan base than kids so I was expecting heavily detailed sets such as MMV and Diagon Alley.
    In the spirit of Yellowcastle...
    I'm going to to say I called this.... :o)
    Yellowcastle April 6 Quote Edit

Not to get anyone too excited, but TLG abruptly ended the return of Pirates in prep for POTC. If you ask me, the recent Fantasy / Castle era being replaced by Kingdoms has that same sort of feel. Could LOTR truly be in the works?

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/266/which-trilogy-would-you-suggest-lego-to-base-their-next-licensed-theme-on#Item_29

I'm going to say I called this, a few days ago when the license deal was announced:

I'm excited to see what is created, but feel there is no way it can live up to people's expectations. Look at all the poo-pooing of the Super Hero sets, which up until now were the greatest news. Figs are great, the sets are meh.
    edited December 2011
    As AFOLs continue to come out of the woodwork and start to look forward to new themes as much as a child does, I think we're starting to see a lot of adult expectations (insane detail, high-brick count, wallet-weeping costs) for a product that is still marketed at 8-14 year old children. Children that depend on their non-AFOL parents to purchase their sets, who are undoubtedly looking for bargains in the toy aisle.

It will certainly be a tough to balance the needs of both target audiences in these sets.

• sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    @LegoDad The mini-maps would be a great idea.
    Here's hoping. It took them a bit to get a feel for the SW sets. I hope that perhaps after the first push they can get their bearings on the feel for Tolkien's world and we will see some spot-on work there as we did in SW. But I don't know if the fan base is large enough (or patient enough) to see that happen.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Ultimately, I think the issue is going to come down to source material. It's just very difficult, if not impossible, to render most iconic LOTR settings in LEGO without a massive tradeoff of piece count and detail in order to hit target price points. You end up with the same problem that plagues SW non-vehicles.

SW works so well because it's almost entirely about the vehicles, which can be rendered very well while remaining both playable and hit the price points desired.
    That's a wise post, @dougts
    I just thought TLG would have aimed this series towards the higher age groups. Ask any kid if they have read a Harry Potter book and most will answer yes. Ask them about the LOTR and most won't know what you are talking about. Most would have seen every HP movie, only a few would have watched LOTR with their parents. These sets just remind me of the very basic HP sets from many years ago obviously aimed at very young children.

I sense TLG really dropped the ball on this one in figuring out their target audience. Personally I would have offered highly detailed sets from LOTR and kept the Hobbit related sets smaller for the young ones.
  • LuciusMalfoy7LuciusMalfoy7 Member Posts: 107
    I agree. I think their set lineup is the thing that's faulty here - obviously the Mines of Moria and Helm's Deep are fine sets, but the rest of the lineup is fairly nondescript and boring. Don't kids get tired of carts and towers? Weathertop and, for that matter, the Urak-Hai sets are some of the lesser iconic locales, if they can even be called that. Why not use Shelob's lair as one of their bargain buy/impulse style sets along with another army builder style set, then attack more iconic locations (Bag End, the Gates of Mordor, Treebeard's forest, the Giants in the Hobbit, etc.) as midi-ranged sets. They can then satisfy adult collectors with MMV/Diagon Alley-style sets for, say, Rivendell, the White City, Barrad-Dur, Moria, and Helm's Deep (obviously not all in one wave, of course.)
  • roguetrader1987roguetrader1987 Member Posts: 45
    I don't mind if they are not exactly like the films if the detail is there. Not great but promising images and with a VERY promising Boromir MF. Apart from that, they do seem a little lacking in detail...patience?
    I think the best part of the LotR license will not be the sets themselves, but the minifigs and introduction of new elements and accessories/weapons. These could all be used to create your own castle/kingdoms and even LotR MOCs. The worst part will likely be the cost.
  • cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    I would have thought that brick-built creatures would sub for vehicles in this line, but that's not being borne out here (with the Shelob exception)...you could have brick-built:
    Balrog
    Fell-Beast
    Smaug
    Cave Troll
    Oliphaunt
    'Warg Attack"
    Grond
    Stone Trolls

Then for AFOL have architecture sized "locations"...Orthanc, Minas Morgul, Minas Tirith, Barad-dur, Argonath, Edoras, Rivendale

Similar to how I'd like to see Lego do an Ewok Village (similar to the Kenner toy), I'd like to see a Lothlorien playset..houses in trees are cool.

• brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I just saw preliminary images of the boxes of the sets. The smaller sets look very underwhelming. The larger sets look like they have real potential! It's really hard to judge though until you see final designs and minifigs.
  • DunedinNZDunedinNZ Member Posts: 41
    I agree with brickupdate above totally.

I dont have hagrid's hut so cant compare the spider with the one in Shelob Attacks, but that set does look good [small hobbit, giant spider]

Helm's deep looks like it has some solid potential, but the rest look weak at this stage.

Feels too much like rehashed kingdoms and other sets.
    [I love me the orcs tho!]
    Not LEGO, but The Hobbit movie trailer:

Simply amazing trailer takes me back to 2000 when I was so excited to see the first lotr trilogy trailer. Seems like the tone will be very much like the trilogy. A few sets seem likely from the trailer gollum and bilbo (riddles in the dark) perhaps the most obvious. Gonna watch that trailer again 100 times I think.
    I was actually hoping Jackson would change film styles. The lighting, the sets..all beautiful but was hoping on a style less moody. But of course, it's just the trailer...and I'll be checkin' out the flick regardless.