Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ridiculous eBay Auctions

Comments

• snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,054
    Those stories about Craigslist scare me a bit, we have a similar website in Belgium and here it is really normal for people to pick it up at your house. I am always careful and have a bit of an email with then first, don't really let them come in or anything. I also let them suggest a time that they would like to come, otherwise you might get burglars when you are not there. But still, it seems the done thing here. Not had any problems (except for someone not turning up but that's not really comparing to being killed).
    Hope nobody over here is going to get ideas like that!
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Holiday settings on ebay are ridiculous,

Its like a invitation to come and rob your house while your away, tells the person when your expected home, your address & phone number.

• EuanoEuano Glasgow, ScotlandMember Posts: 1
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    "Those stories about Craigslist scare me a bit, we have a similar website in Belgium and here it is really normal for people to pick it up at your house"

A lot of people say with CL that you need to do an in public meet up for safety. I sold a 3DS a little over 2.5 years ago since I wanted the 3DS XL and I did that in the back of a target parking lot during the day plus I had my uncle with me.

I did 2 bricklink orders that I did a public meet up at Popeyes, lol. There's a kind of cute guy that sells and trades legos a couple cities over.
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    I went to someones house to pick up something awhile ago which was stupid looking back at it.  I'd never let someone in my house now nor would I go inside of someone else's
    I don't want to come across bad here but i feel sorry for some of you if you are terrified of someone coming round to your house to collect some random item.

What really do you thinks going to happen?

You cant say i saw on the news once someone got attacked when some stranger went round to their house, its like saying im scared to walk down the road because someone got mugged the week before.

Ive literally had 100s of people come round to my house to collect items since i started ebay in 2005. never had one issue nor did i feel uncomfortably with any of them.

In fact ive had quite the opposite experience and met some wonderful like minded people with the same hobbies/interests has me.

Some of them i still speak to regularly.

I think you've been lucky then, all it takes is one bad person
    Yeah but you could say that with any scenario.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    My wife does these "Mom to Mom" sales. All she dies is leave the item on the porch and the person either pays you with PayPal or leaves cash in the door. I have had one person come to the house while we were home. No big deal. I'm just a bit more cautious now that I have children.
    ^same here, I've got two kids, I wouldn't invite anyone over now
    Sethro3
    We've had a rash of break ins in our area. I live next to a police officer and he said not to worry, but always be vigilant. The last 2 years we have had people casing the neighborhood during the holidays looking for packages to steal from people's porches.

I don't think everyone is going to rape, murder and steal, but you are naive if you don't think it happens.
    VorpalRyu
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    edited March 2015
    Slightly unrelated but I started having all packages sent to my local UPS, FedEx and postal office for pickup about a year ago. You never know who is driving around scoping out the neighborhood. If they consistently see packages on my porch then it's just more reason for them to target my home.
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 279
    I think you all worry too much. @Supertramp is right. I've bought and sold many used cars over the years, as well as Lego, and never had a problem with people I've visited or who have visited me. People are nice, believe it or not.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-Lego-Ideas-Book-6000-Legoland-Instruction-manual-extremely-rare-/151606092832

This seems a bit steep - similar things (with stickers) seem to go for 17 euro on Bricklink. Never thought about this before, just found an old sticker sheet at my moms house and just started using it, never thought about selling that. Shows that I still got a lot to learn about this game ;) Although trusted seller, so maybe it's just me who thinks this is quite high...

Thanks for the reasuring comments about the 'letting people come to your house thing', I was starting to think I was being irresponsible. I've got the same experience as Supertramp, I've met some nice people (not Lego-enthousiast seeing as it was baby things and children's toys) and sometimes they say: oh I've also seen this on your website, can I have a look at it? And end up buying it too.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    This seems more than a little optimistic for a #6990. True its new which is presumably very rare but when you can pick up a boxed 100% complete one for around £100 will anyone really spend £2222 on a sealed one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Lego-9V-Space-FUTURON-6990-Monorail-Transport-System-LEGOLAND-/201316550999
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    edited March 2015
    ^ Need search the storage at dad's shed for the #6990 dad bought us for xmas all those years ago, PAYDAY!!! 

^^ £60 for that book, so I've got £120 if I can find my brother's one while I'm at the shed...

;)  ;)  ;)
    xiahna
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,616
    @cheshirecat  If you look at all of their auction prices you will see that everything they have is incredibly over priced. But on the other hand they do find buyers at times. 
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    I do think there's a risk with having people come to your house, but like a lot of everyday risks, it can be managed. I did it for the first time recently when we had a garage-load of old roof slates to get rid of on Ebay. It worried me a bit when the guy tried to get me to take cash on collection rather than Paypal, as I was afraid he'd try to talk the price down, but it turned out that in his experience most people who allowed home pickups did this. I just explained that Ebay advise people to use Paypal to protect both them and the buyer, and then he was fine with it. 

I can feel a bit vulnerable as I have a disability and my partner and I have been attacked in the past, so I was going to ask my mum to be around when the pickup happened, but as it turned out we scheduled it for a day when my partner was off work anyway. The guy brought his van, we went out and had a chat, discovered a shared love of old houses (he was into restoration, hence wanting the slates), and it all went very well.

I'd certainly do it again, and I'd not be against going to someone's house with my partner, though I'd probably meet at a bus station or something like that for preference (have done that before to sell DVDs; it worked well for the buyer too as he had a long way to go home). 
    ^I would say if something was going to happen, it wold be when you to pick up items.

You were attacked? What happened? My wife was mugged twice and had been physically assaulted. One time she was pumping gas and two guys got into her car and started going through it. Crazy.
  • adukaduk Member Posts: 155
    Counted well into double figures the fraudulent ebay lego listings today on ebay uk. Several hacked accounts daily - with rogue 10212, 10030 and branching out now into 7965 and others.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^^^ i know you were the seller here, but I believe its fairly normal for sellers to only accept cash on collection - as proof of payment through PayPal but no proof of postage as it was collected can cause the seller major trouble. And they save a not on the fees.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited March 2015
    Not ridiculous as such but interesting to see what looks like someone trying to bale out of reselling:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lego-Sets-310-Unique-to-Themes-and-661-sets-in-Quantity-Brand-New-/281484835754

A real mixed bag. Also, the listing really needs to be presented more clearly.

• GentlyBenevolentGentlyBenevolent Member Posts: 336
    This looks so suspect, you don't need the brains of an Archbishop to see what is going to happen to the winning bidders, (lots of INR case's for ebay/Paypal as well).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/snouk86/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

• samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,384
    I love it when I see auctions like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Lego-Indiana-Jones-survived-a-factory-fire-/321726629353?

I sent him a message asking if the gum chewed by Abraham Lincoln was also included. That's the deal-breaker. 
    zipsforbananasSumoLegoBumblepantskhmellymelsnowhitieandhe
    What in theeeee...?
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Huhhhhh? I don't get it. And the gum wrapper thing? EEEEK!
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    online "theft" store...um...er...um...er

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tag/4981088052.html

BumblepantsPitfall69SumoLegosnowhitie
    edited April 2015
    ^That is ridiculous. I have bought full tubs of Lego for around $200. I have also bought lots that had instructions and most of the sets weren't even in there. They put a few minifigures on top making you think there is more and there isn't. I don't see any minifigures at all and I see at least 2 Mega Bloks sets in there. No thank you. Even if it was $800.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,283
    I want me some cat 'dust' in those there bins!
  • GentlyBenevolentGentlyBenevolent Member Posts: 336
    This looks so suspect, you don't need the brains of an Archbishop to see what is going to happen to the winning bidders, (lots of INR case's for ebay/Paypal as well).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/snouk86/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

And the first buyer to be scammed has rolled the first NEG in on this one, hopefully they will get their cash back from PayPal:-
    http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=snouk86&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true&rt=nc
    Lets see if the buyers of the other Lego sets that were "sold" leave any feedback ?....
    The "seller" has made nearly £950.00 out of this scam.
  • MODVLEXMODVLEX Czech RepublicMember Posts: 24
    ^If you don't know who it is, how do you know it's that desirable?!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,823
    It's just another variant on the old "I know nothing about this apart from that it is very rare" type description.
    ^
    Have a look at the other mysteriously rare Lego-ish offerings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Construction-Toys-Kits-/18991/m.html?item=271844777726&rmvSB=true&hash=item3f4b361efe&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&afsrc=1&_ssn=dogadug

I don't want to be overly critical of people trying to earn some cash, but the "RARE LEGO CITY POLICE OFFICER WITH BROWN HAT" is clearly just a conquistador helmet.
    gmonkey76MODVLEXprevere
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 1,010
    I'm new to this forum but I have to say this is my favourite thread!!!

Like many AFOLs I spend my evenings searching through ebay looking for interesting items and frequently finding ridiculous prices.
    It's so good to have other people who feel the same as me and to have an area to vent that frustration and disbelief of some ebay listings.

Keep then coming!!!
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 626
    I was looking for another listing with the same title, thinking they might have clicked 'Sell similar item', but now I reckon it's a simple case of keyword spamming. With ridiculous results.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    ^ Ultra-Über-Rare, what a bargain!:wink:
    xiahna
  • AceCobra1AceCobra1 UKMember Posts: 565
    Would the postal service insure £1m ?!?
    edited May 2015
    ^ I don't get why the Tony Stark head was swapped out.
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    ^ Darn, I missed it.
    ShibVorpalRyusnowhitieMODVLEX
    edited May 2015
    ^ you can have mine for half the price, I'll even throw in a free Slave I because I am in a generous mood ;)
    SumoLegoVorpalRyuvitreolum
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    Not eBay but...

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/bab/4957654736.html

Are people really so stupid that they can't tell K'NEX from LEGO?
    MODVLEXTXLegoguy
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,441
    ^i remember those k'nex cases, they actually have the work k'nex on the lid, i suspect an idiot trying to fool other idiots.