Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New 'CITY' Themes

aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
edited December 2011 in Collecting
I am hoping that TLG comes out with new themes such as 'Forest' and 'Farm'. With the new 'Forest' theme out ( and 'Farm' being retired a couple of years back), what are some NEW 'CITY' themes that TLG could look at?

OR, what themes need more sets?

We have already seen:
Airport (12 sets)
Cargo (4 Sets)
Coast Guard (9)
Emergency (7)
Farm (7)
Fire (26)
Harbour/Port (7)
Police (37)
Space (5)
Traffic (18)
Trains (13)

Comments

• OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    I wonder how long it will be before they make a Lego Store set. Imagine all those Lego set brick pieces stacked up on shelves.
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    Hottest rumor for the summer is actually a mining theme, which should fit in great with the rest of the construction equipment found in the City theme.

On Eurobricks the set list for the theme is actually posted by someone:
    http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58486&st=765

Whether or not this a substantiated claim or a figment of someone's imagination I don't know, but it would be cool if true.

A series of stores or other civilian building sets would be great as well. We do have the modular line for that, but a series of smaller sets could be as easily collectible and popular with city builders who are always on the lookout for new buildings.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    This summer we will see a mining collection.
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    @fyrmedhatt & @Odindusk

I agree. After 'City Corner' (7641) I thought we were going to see more small 'City' Mods. Then TLG released the 'TRU City Truck' (7848) and 'Public Transport Station' (8404). I thought for sure they were ramping up to produce a lot more 'City' mods. However, 2011 only saw 'City House' - and then nothing.

Why not produce a few low price lines (bakeries, hardware stores, meat markets, post office, etc)? They already have the molds - they were already building the lines...

I was in my local TRU today and all I heard from customers was: "There is no level of imagination" - or - "LEGO only produces star wars and the other hot themes"

I understand that LEGO has a great inroad to the consumers that love the 'Star Wars' and other such themes - but as I looked around, there was little to choose from in regards to both 'City' and 'Castle'. The only 'City' sets left at the MTKA store were either Police, Harbour, or Airport (and only 3181 was available); and even in these sets were few and far between. There were but 3 trains left. NInjago and Dinos were plentiful. Star Wars was depleted as was Castle, HP, and the entire 'City'-themed Creator series.

The LEGO aisle was BARE! And as I left there, I went to the MTKA Target - and found the same. A lot of Ninjago, a few 'City' sets (Police and Fire), and a few Airplanes. No Castle, no Creator (City-theme), and no Bricks'n'more sets. All the stores in my area are wiped clean of 'City'.

TLG needs to realize that there is a HUGE market for the Creator Series (City Themed), well-polished 'City' sets, and Castle.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    I would like to see some excellent vehicles like 7639 and 4435 under $20. Also a hospital and school would be amazing. I just can't see a "Mining" theme being popular. I mean you'll just have some rock pieces, and a minifig with a pick axe.
  • bixtrix77bixtrix77 Member Posts: 53
    Bring back the early 80s type house sets like the bungalow and villa type of sets. I know there are the creator houses that are fantastic but they are a little big(ish) along side the police and fire hq.
  • Rollo_TomassiRollo_Tomassi Member Posts: 113
    A Lego 'TV Station' subtheme.
    TV station, Newsvan, News chopper, etc

A Powerplant subtheme.
    In addition have a cherry picker truck, and maybe a transformer substation.

I'm surprised WM and Target haven't had exclusive Truck/Store front sets like TRU did.

• bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    I am sick of police and fire, and the forest police and fire this year is just a joke so hot on the heals of normal police and fire. I LOVE the caravan, tipper truck, motorcylce transport etc in wave 1 2012 love the whole traffic sub theme great ideas great design great price and proof you do not need lots of emergency type sets. Reported mining theme is new and therefore welcome. What I want is more buildings to make an actually city not an emergency service town, good examples being the affore mentioned city corner and city house and community minifigure sets as well as good ideas on here about small post offices etc. (they did this years ago). Can we not have something like townplan and cheaper lower piece count and more basic versions of things like the grand emporium or green grocer, cheaper base plates and roads would be good aswell.
  • bor2112bor2112 FloridaMember Posts: 321
    As I mentioned on another thread, i am all in for a great hospital and a schoolhouse
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    @bellybutton290 Totally agree!!! I love the traffic vehicles too but don't really like any of the emergency sub-themes (except the Ambulance, since I wasn't around for the last one). Also need more buildings that aren't Police or Firestations, my son is getting the Creator house but apart from that there is nothing currently available. I also missed City corner and Public Transport station, both look awesome and hope they produce similar ones.
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    I am sick of police and fire,
    and red cars

The new City is cool in the vehicle dept.

@bellybutton290 Totally agree!!! I love the traffic vehicles too but don't really like any of the emergency sub-themes (except the Ambulance, since I wasn't around for the last one). Also need more buildings that aren't Police or Firestations, my son is getting the Creator house but apart from that there is nothing currently available. I also missed City corner and Public Transport station, both look awesome and hope they produce similar ones.
    Lego.com might be sold out, but City Corner and Public Transport are widely available. Toys R Us just had the latter for 25% off this week.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^ Thanks, trouble is I'm in New Zealand, the shipping costs make them mostly unaffordable. The Public Transport would be my favourite out of the two, I'll have to keep my eye out for one.
    Was just reading about the gold mining theme with a mine set excavators, dump truck could be promising.
  • Blue1dotBlue1dot Member Posts: 78
    How about a bowling lane? Has Lego ever made one in the past?
    How about a Car dealership with a nice showroom and a variety of cars. Not only is it a nice set, but it would give you plenty of vehicles to have driving around your City. I'd say at least five.
  • HuskerDontHuskerDont Member Posts: 32
    How about a Car dealership with a nice showroom and a variety of cars. Not only is it a nice set, but it would give you plenty of vehicles to have driving around your City. I'd say at least five.
    I could see this being an $80-$100 set, a la Public Transport Station. A medium sized showroom to house an exotic car or two, a service area, and a couple of miscellaneous vehicles for the lot. Perhaps a van, two sedans, and a compact.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    I'd like to see a zoo/safari/aquarium, funfair/amusement park/circus, school, cinema (with actual working screen! like the one at STEAM - sorry don't know who did that), or some sports-related sets, maybe a tennis match. I like the bowling alley idea. Why not have a cool rock n roll type diner too? You can see I'm much more focused on leisure than work :)
    ^^^loving the car dealership and how about a proper car transporter to go with it! @lostintranslation loving the Zoo idea Lucy, and the amusment park both very feasable zoo with the bear from this year, Parrot and monkey pieces etc and CMF zookeeper no less!
  • airways09airways09 Bournemouth, UKMember Posts: 30
    i'd like to see a powerstation-esque theme which could tie in with possible mining sets i.e a coal mine and power station, i've found it hard to create a powerstation for my lego city, it's only surviving on wind power it seems!! And also a circus theme, also finding it hard to recreate a scaled big top, or maybe i just need a lot more pieces!!! I've had to create my city zoo using animals from different themes i.e elephants from adventurers, pirates monkey/parrotsbut is quite limited atm and hoping to add a few bears from the forest police sets
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    edited December 2011
    As Ma1234 has been informing us (on this and other topics), there appears to be a mining theme going on for summer 2012. I like the helmets. Search YouTube for the Lego City Summer 2012 sets. You'll see your hospital as well. Although it's more of a small urgent care center with helipad. :) Gotta leave some room for a kid to be creative and build, right?
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 283
    A Lego 'TV Station' subtheme.
    TV station, Newsvan, News chopper, etc
    I was going to suggest this as a theme on Cuusoo, but call it 'LEGO City News'. I was planning to include a news paper stand as well. A news paper office might not be too terribly interesting, but the TV News certainly provides potential I think.

My video card died so I can't use LDD, therefore I have not bothered.
    edited December 2011
    I would like to see some excellent vehicles like 7639 and 4435 under $20. Also a hospital and school would be amazing. I just can't see a "Mining" theme being popular. I mean you'll just have some rock pieces, and a minifig with a pick axe.
    Mining is going to be popular, IMO. The sets look amazing. The flagship mining set includes a mining train, using the four-stud rail tracks from Temple of Doom/Joker's Funhouse. LEGO did an amazing job taking their classic construction theme and giving it a twist.

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,744
    Lol. I think mining has moved on a bit from those days. It's like saying a farm theme will just be a man with a pitchfork, or a construction theme will just be a man with a plank of wood.

The zoo theme is long overdue, and hopefully the new bear and chimp moulds will be an indicator of such. The bear could be printed as a panda.

Playmobil had an amazing Zoo theme that I got for my daughter last Xmas. I would welcome such a theme from Lego. Different Enclosures Sets that all fit together in a massive Zoo layout. Add in Giftshops, a tour Tram/Train, Zoo entrance, assorted service vehicles, etc. Brilliant.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Mining is going to be popular, IMO. The sets look amazing. The flagship mining set includes a mining train, using the four-stud rail tracks from Temple of Doom/Joker's Funhouse. LEGO did an amazing job taking their classic construction theme and giving it a twist.
    I was trying to figure that out - the track. Do you think it's straight rails for the narrow gauge track? Note the Alien Conquest mothership has had the narrow gauge as well. All up to this point have been curves or slopes though. I'd love to have some straight track.