Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

76042 UCS Helicarrier

Comments

• scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    Pitfall69 said:
    Walk up to anyone on the street and most of them would not know what the Helicarrier is; in fact, I didn't even know what it was until I saw the Avengers. I'm 43 years old.

I'd never heard of it until it was talked about on LEGO sites.

You'll be holding that set for a long time before your son's friends are willing pay £5000 for it.
    joel4motion
  • PoMoPinkPoMoPink UKMember Posts: 275
    Pitfall69 said:
    Walk up to anyone on the street and most of them would not know what the Helicarrier is; in fact, I didn't even know what it was until I saw the Avengers. I'm 43 years old.
    I might have seen the film - I can't actually remember for sure - and *still* don't know what it is....
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    I can probably think of a dozen ships and what not more iconic than the Helicarrier. The U.S.S. Enterprise and The Death Star to name a couple.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,308
    scrumper said:
    Pitfall69 said:

I'd never heard of it until it was talked about on LEGO sites.

You'll be holding that set for a long time before your son's friends are willing pay £5000 for it.
    If it were to hit US$7/8k I would be stoked considering the MF's I've seen haven't quite hit the US$5k mark yet, but as for waiting for my son's friends, with some of them, that would only be around ten to fifteen years, if I do pick up a second HC, I'd be looking at it as long term invest so that's not an issue. If they do a short enough run, I could even end up with offers from our friends around my wife's age (23-28), if they are unable to source one, good number of them have no serious life commitments & cash to burn.
    xiahna
    There is no way the Helicarrier will ever come close to the UCS MF in terms of price. If you believe that it will, I have some Construct-a-Zurg's and Legends of Chima to sell ya ;)
    natro220LegoTT
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    Not sure why I keep coming back to this thread, maybe in the hope it is going somewhere?!

In short, the Helicarrier is nowhere near as iconic as the MF and it will never hit 5k.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,322
    edited February 2015
    I think a wider point has been massively overlooked here, it's naive to think of any set as "the new UCS Falcon" because frankly the market is entirely different. There are so many more resellers, investors and speculators on the Lego market now and Lego is at the peak of it's popularity meaning far more are being bought by hobbyists too. None of this comes from any sort of anti-reseller sentiment, but from a common sense point of view. Very few people hit the jackpot with collectables these days because people remember the stories about the guy who sold a Lego set for thousands and forget about the masses who spent thousands on beanie babies that are now next to worthless. so more people will try their hand at stashing stuff away to sell later, whether its something they like or not.

The which is more iconic argument is moot - someone who is a fan of comics/marvel movies is pretty much your only audience when it comes to selling it on for the Helicarrier as the MF is only really going to appeal to Star Wars fans.

I will say though that the MF is far more of an original design - it is a completely fiction spaceship - whereas the Helicarrier is a sic-fied up version of a standard military aircraft carrier, show someone an image of the helicarrier that doesn't show it as clearly flying in the sky they'll most likely think it an aircraft carrier, show someone a picture of a millennium falcon and it's fairly obvious it's a spaceship.
    VorpalRyu
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    What is it about Helicarrier threads? They often seem to adopt a rather individual personality.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,363
    Um.... you know it is still February right? And this set isn't even released to the general public yet. Buying for investment at the extreme beginning of the set life-cycle is a good way to tie up capital for 2-3 years that will not be doing anything productive.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,714
    Um.... you know it is still February right? And this set isn't even released to the general public yet. Buying for investment at the extreme beginning of the set life-cycle is a good way to tie up capital for 2-3 years that will not be doing anything productive.

The only reasons to buy now for resale are (i) free Winter Soldier* (*depends on location) to sell on and (ii) to get a quick flip if they sell out and don't come back in stock quickly.

Ehhh, its not like that cash has been earning me that much being in the bank the last few years, if it doubles in value, it means I got my HC for free. If it triples in value, an extra AU$500 for more Lego or other stuff. If the speculations are right this will head into the UCS MF region, even over 15-20 years, I would be super-stoked, but if not, I'd be happy with paying off my HC... On that 'investment' capital, at least $1K of that was from my 2011 tax return, so its not like the money would be missed.

If I can't get it happening while the Winter Soldier is still on offer, it probably won't happen, cause I'm not parting the one already coming & I've noticed some of the sets resold with their bonus items tend to sell much higher.
    xiahna
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    Personally I think it's really early to speculate on this one.  Waiting until double points at least would be a better move.
    Pitfall69
    ^ You've probably missed the quick flip window anyway now. By the time you've got one, it should be available to the general public anyway, assuming no supply issues (which might be a big assumption based on past sets). It won't double in three years if you buy it now. Whereas something retiring about now will possibly double in three years. 

The helicarrier might well double in three years after you buy it, if you buy it in three years time.
    Pitfall69
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    VorpalRyu said:

If the speculations are right this will head into the UCS MF region [...]
    Which speculations are those? Everything in this thread has suggested otherwise.
    Pitfall69
    Someone, anyone, with haste, summon the guards, there are some who question the will of the Lego Gods... Heretics! Burn them! Quickly, before others might follow their foolish feet.....ehhh! Give me a break...seriously??? What the frak!

SW fanboys have finally surpassed the Trekkies... How dare anyone question the value of the Wars or claim it could hold a candle to it, for an instant, even in the mind's eye. & my friends wondered for years why I lost all interest in Star Trek... Well, this is why, & now it plagues that of SW fandom, I just pray that Marvel does not suffer this end, time to hang up my Lightsabers...

END OF LINE
    johnhenzxiahna
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ... Or people were just giving you sensible advice and then you flounced. Oh well.
    BumblepantsPitfall69
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    I am no SW fanboy and it's fairly obvious the MF is a more iconic vehicle.  The Helicarrier isn't even a unique looking thing.  It's an aircraft carrier that can fly.  Put it on the ground and it looks just like any other aircraft carrier.  
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 723
    Was at the mall yesterday and talked about getting #76042 Helicarrier at the LEGO store, then looked at a this purse down the way http://www.coach.com/coach-designer-handbags-crosby-carryall-in-printed-crossgrain-leather/34775.html?dwvar_color=SVDST.
    They are the same price -  Yikes!  (online price is $50 higher)  
    Do USC collectors and ladies that buy spendy purses get the same satisfaction - in their own ways?
    I decided neither purchase was for me.  I don't have a 14" gap between my thighs (like the purse model) and the Helicarrier won't work in The Modular City of Los Legos or Middle Earth.

wow you're right, that is a crazy thigh gap.

there would be a significant difference in satisfaction if i came home from the shops with the bag or the helicarrier when my wife found out.
    klatu003
    Surely that depends on whether you say the bag is for you or for her.
    Bumblepants
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^ That model is super ultra thin, likely on the tall side and slightly bow legged so that exaggerates the gap but is still crazy.
  • johnhenzjohnhenz Sunderland, EnglandMember Posts: 98
    Yeah because every person in the world knows what the millennium falcon is haha you guys are so deluded. There's no way the helicarrier will reach the same kinda price though simply because of the amount of resellers out there now. I really don't get you guy's though acting like the MCU doesn't even come close to SW. I think you'll find it is more than a match.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,363
    Star Wars vs Marvel is not the issue here. Firstly, it is the two ships. the MF is more iconic than just about anything in the SW 'verse, ship or character. Less popular ships like the B-Wing and Jedi Starfighter are very weak in the aftermarket and will remain so despite being SW sets. The Marvel universe would be just as popular as it is without the Hellicarrier ever having been put on paper/screen/toy. Yes it is cool, but it is in no way iconic to the MU the way the Falcon is to SW. The Superheros themselves are what fuel the MU fire (and DC as well). Honestly, the only comic book vehicle that really has iconic pop-culture status is the DC Batmobile. Nothing else comes close.

Secondly, when the UCS Falcon came out, the Lego reselling landscape was a lot different. These days there are entire websites dedicated to uncovering and hoarding Lego exclusives. It is much more difficult to find the gems and a lot less likely to make 3x rrp.
    cheshirecat
    ^ don't forgot the spider trike.
    GothamConstructionConicoyagomeznatro220CapnRex101BumblepantsBJ21
    edited February 2015
    bumblepants has it spot on, iron man, captain america, batman etc are more iconic than luke skywalker, han solo and the emporer [darth might give them a run for their money] but the helicarrier is not a millenium falcon.
    Pitfall69
    edited February 2015
    Just like @Shib and @Bumblepants said, the market is different. There is more to this than UCS MF vs. Helicarrier. When the UCS MF came out right when the US economy was on a downward spiral and never mind the fact that it was $500. It didn't sell very well and was was massively discounted at the end of its life. I got mine for $345 USD. Reselling Lego hadn't yet reached the scale it is today. Also, the UCS MF has 2,157 more parts and some of those parts are rare and expensive.

Most of the comments on this thread have been mostly objective about the Helicarrier vs. The UCS Millennium Falcon. Calling people names and insulting the very people that you consulted for advice makes you sound a bit...(here it comes @cheshirecat )...dickish. Honestly, I don't give a rats ass what you do with your money, but you asked for our opinion and we gave ours.
    joel4motioncheshirecatBumblepants
    There is also the buying demographic to consider. The helicarrier is the helicarrier of the film, not of many of the comics that older fans will have grown up with. Who will be buying it in 5-6 years. It'll be fans of the film that are not lego fans now or cannot afford it now. Presumably this type of person will tend to be a little younger than most current afols. Will a current 15-20 year old be buying such large purchases in 5 years? Probably not, as most will not be Lego fans considering most afols have some sort of dark ages, during a time of their life when, let's face it, there are better things to be doing with time and money. Whereas a slightly older person who is more familiar with SW could well be buying, if they've settled down and had kids and are buying for "the kids".
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,285
    Star Wars has asserted itself as a legendary film franchise, probably the most famous ever created. Marvel could match that in a couple of decades time, although I have my doubts, but for now it doesn't come close.

The Millennium Falcon is probably the most iconic film vehicle in existence, along with the USS Enterprise perhaps. I highly doubt that the Helicarrier will get anywhere near that level of recognition simply because it is not a truly 'fantastic' vehicle. It is neither interesting to look at nor particularly beloved by the fans. The Falcon is like a character in Star Wars, the Helicarrier is simply something to look impressive on screen in the MCU.

I have little doubt that you will make some money by hanging on to a Helicarrier or two for after it retires, but you won't make anything like the UCS Millennium Falcon does. The Falcon continues to be remembered after almost 32 years while the Helicarrier probably won't appear in the MCU for that much longer in its current form. It has already undergone some dramatic changes for Captain America: The Winter Soldier, so who knows what it might look like five or ten years down the line.

I admit that the Millennium Falcon has undergone some changes too, most notably with the addition of a rectangular dish to replace the original round one. The fact that there was so much reaction to that in the Episode VII trailer confirms the iconic nature of the ship.
    Pitfall69
    And my issue wasn't SW vs M my issue is simply pretending that you have never heard of it and it is completely unrecognisable. The way you lot have acted about it is just ridiculous and arrogant. The way you've been completely discarding the MCU and really? Pretty sure the avengers alone was like the third highest grossing film of all time.
    xiahna
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,766
    edited February 2015
    I'd seen the films and still had to look up what a Hellicarrier was when it was rumoured LEGO was releasing one.  Arrogant, no.  Ignorant, perhaps.

When I later saw the images of what was to be released, I then had to question it was indeed the same flying aircraft carrier thingy I'd seen in the films.  Ignorant, no.  Arrogant, perhaps.
    johnhenzPitfall69
    Plus I pretty much agreed that that it wouldn't go for anywhere near the mf so that comment was pretty much irrelevant
    Not yours legoboy the other dudes
    I'm just not sure it's as well known as you might think.  I don't walk around with my head in clouds,  but I really didn't know what it was and I don't think I'm alone.
    Pitfall69
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,328
    johnhenz said:
    And my issue wasn't SW vs M my issue is simply pretending that you have never heard of it and it is completely unrecognisable. The way you lot have acted about it is just ridiculous and arrogant. The way you've been completely discarding the MCU and really? Pretty sure the avengers alone was like the third highest grossing film of all time.
    Ridiculous and arrogant... or just their honest opinion? I'm fairly familiar with both franchises, and had never (ever) heard of the helicarrier until the movie came out. Meanwhile the millennium falcon has been a staple (from a movie) since the 70s. Not only do you have young people's interest, but middle aged and older people as well. It's a much larger age umbrella.

I don't see anything arrogant or ridiculous in this thread, just opinions... which the OP asked for. How can you get upset at people for that?
    BumblepantsPitfall69
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,285
    @johnhenz - I am not surprised that so many people are unfamiliar with the Helicarrier at all. Marvel films may be very popular on the whole, but not with all demographics by any means. Comic book fans, children and parents of those children might be aware of it, but I don't see why anyone else would be.
    Omg I'm not saying the mf is not iconic. *sigh* forget it
    xiahna
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    johnhenz said:
    Omg I'm not saying the mf is not iconic. *sigh* forget it

Ummm...yeah you pretty much did, like 10 comments ago:  "Yeah because every person in the world knows what the millennium falcon is haha you guys are so deluded." 

I don't know why you are arguing this point so hard, since it is pretty much moot anyway.  Because of mostly UNRELATED reasons, the UCS MF will likely remain in a class of its own, whether or not SW is better than Marvel.
    BumblepantsPitfall69
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    The things that should never be discussed on Brickset are Religion, Politics, and the Helicarrier.
    natro220Pitfall69chuckp
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    natro220 said:
    Because of mostly UNRELATED reasons, the UCS MF will likely remain in a class of its own, whether or not SW is better than Marvel.
    This.
    Pitfall69sklamb
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    Got my Helicarrier in the post today. :D came with a winter soldier, but instead of a demolition driller, I got a flower cart for some bizarre reason, haha. Since it says I should have got a demolition driller in the order receipt (both in the digital and physical copies), would I be entitled to call them up and ask them to send me one?
    johnhenz said:
    Yeah because every person in the world knows what the millennium falcon is haha you guys are so deluded. There's no way the helicarrier will reach the same kinda price though simply because of the amount of resellers out there now. I really don't get you guy's though acting like the MCU doesn't even come close to SW. I think you'll find it is more than a match.

johnhenz said:
    Most of the comments were pertaining to the OP's original post and comments thereafter. Then you decided to pipe in after he went off the deep end. You seem to be taking our comments about the Helicarrier personally for some reason. I really did not know what the Helicarrier was until the news of this set came out. We aren't pretending to not know what it is just to make a point. I even have the Quinjet set and still did not put two and two together until I saw pictures of the Helicarrier set. 

Comics and Superheroes are popular again and may just be as popular as Star Wars, but that still doesn't mean that every Tom, Dick and Harry that made The Avengers the 3rd Highest Grossing film of All Time, knows what the Helicarrier is.

The whole discussion turned into an investment discussion and that is usually reserved for another thread in another topic category. Popularity between the two "ships" is just one of many factors that make a Lego set a good investment. 
    natro220
  • xiahnaxiahna Member Posts: 156
    I don't think he 'went off the deep end' if you read it properly he was asking if anyone had bought two. He also never said he expected the price would go the way of the falcon, just mentioned that he had heard it may. Then you guys got hooked on it. He has stated that he while he would be thrilled IF it did, he would be happy if ONE DAY he was ableto sell it for double its current value, making it so he got his for free.
    SuperTrampVorpalRyu
    VorpalRyu said:
    Someone, anyone, with haste, summon the guards, there are some who question the will of the Lego Gods... Heretics! Burn them! Quickly, before others might follow their foolish feet.....ehhh! Give me a break...seriously??? What the frak!

SW fanboys have finally surpassed the Trekkies... How dare anyone question the value of the Wars or claim it could hold a candle to it, for an instant, even in the mind's eye. & my friends wondered for years why I lost all interest in Star Trek... Well, this is why, & now it plagues that of SW fandom, I just pray that Marvel does not suffer this end, time to hang up my Lightsabers...

END OF LINE
    To me, this is going off the deep end, but what do I know, I am arrogant, delusional and ignorant ;)
    natro220
    Got my Helicarrier in the post today. :D came with a winter soldier, but instead of a demolition driller, I got a flower cart for some bizarre reason, haha. Since it says I should have got a demolition driller in the order receipt (both in the digital and physical copies), would I be entitled to call them up and ask them to send me one?
    Strange... Hope we receive the driller, because I was planning add that to my kids cityscape... Is the anything about substitutions in case of shortage of stock for bonuses on any of the receipts?
    LukeSkywalkerxiahna
  • xiahnaxiahna Member Posts: 156
    I thought it was sarcastic and funny. Tony Stark would be proud ;)
    Loved the tron reference at the end. I can see how it could be interpreted as aggressive but my bf read it and laughed his head off, depends in which tone you choose to read it I guess. One of the problems befalling txt vs talk.
    BrickDancerVorpalRyu
    ^I agree about text and emotion.
    xiahna
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    I don't know about online but at my local Lego store about a year ago there was some City poly I was supposed to get but there was none left so they gave me a Hoth Han.
    Pitfall69 said:
    VorpalRyu said:

END OF LINE
    To me, this is going off the deep end, but what do I know, I am arrogant, delusional and ignorant ;)
    Notice no one claims you're wrong on those three points.
    Pitfall69
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,328
    Actually, I think he has a point.

From the other helicarrier thread:

Sounds like even Luke Skywalker is buying into the helicarrier. Helicarrier 1, Falcon 0.
    xiahnaVorpalRyu
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    Oh boy, one of these Helicarrier threads has to die out. Crossing both of them over will get confusing. :lol:
    xiahna