Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

The best Lego store?

2»

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500
    I've been to:
    the former Kingston upon Thames and Birmingham stores
    Milton Keynes
    Bluewater
    Westfield Shepherds Bush
    Downtown Disney, Orlando, FL, USA
    South Shore Plaza, Braintree, MA, USA
    Westfield Stratford
    Watford
    Sheffield
    Munich Pasing, Germany
    Downtown Disney, Anaheim, CA, USA
    Bellevue Square Mall, Bellevue, WA, USA

Plus stores at Discovery Centres in Manchester and Tokyo and Legoland Parks in Windsor, Billund and Günzberg :-)

And Watford is the best! To be fair it's my "local" so I have more experiences to judge by. Eamon is always happy to chat and help me out where possible.
    Somehow whenever I go to Shepherds Bush I come out feel in vaguely disappointed. Not sure why that is.
    Obviously shopping in the US is great though. Cheaper prices and transferable VIP points that rack up quickly!
  • DfenzDfenz IrelandMember Posts: 41
    For parts - but not sets, by a mile its the Fabrik store at LEGOLAND Gunzburg. Ever wonder why those German sellers seem to have rare parts in large quantities on BL or parts that shouldn't even exist - well you have your explanation. Think of a typical PAB wall with few restrictions and brand new parts.
    LostInTranslationchuckpbobabricks
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    Wow, some of you have been to a lot of stores!
    I've only managed 2. Manchester and my local at Glasgow. Glasgow is excellent I must say. Even let me leave my purchases there while I completed the rest of my shopping. Got range of sets and friendly staff.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    I think it's only natural to favour the store you visit most and I always feel like I'm cheating on them when I happen to be somewhere else!

Icing on the cake though is that any store that has ordered over 20 Fairy Bricks hoodies are top so Leeds are number 1!
    ShibLostInTranslation
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Never been to one, my closet is Meadowhall(25 miles) and from the comments i read about it im not missing much.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    TK2012WSW said:

Phipps Plaza (Georgia)

Is that one still a Discovery Centre shop, or a regular store. I went about 2.5 years ago and the range of sets was fairly poor, especially for AFOLs as they cater mainly for kids. I seem to remember there being a lot of gear - foam rubber shields and swords etc. PAB was awful, plus they charged by weight rather than by volume.

What was good though was the availability of polybags (they had the Frodo one, long before it became common, Thor, and some Friends ones that had not yet appeared anywhere else.) They were also very good for keychains, having probably the biggest range I have ever seen in a store.

They did also have an engraving machine where you could get your name engraved on a brick. All good stuff for kids coming out of the LDC.
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    I've been to the Raleigh NC Lego store and the one in Downtown Disney. I like the one in Orlando. That brickmade dragon is awesome!
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 832
    What surprises me is that in general, save for the staff, how the stores, be they in the UK or the USA, are practically identical...step inside one and you could be anywhere!
  • jedijason1138jedijason1138 Member Posts: 145
    dneul said:

My favorite is my local store in Des Peres.

That's the one that is closest to me. Very friendly and nice staff. The 3-D kiosk seems to always be down, but I never really checked that out. My sons are twins and we go there from time to time for them to pick something out. We went on their birthday and everyone was very nice and gave them a polybagged helicopter each.

I've called them on release days to confirm if they have enough stock of certain items and they've been very upfront about the quantity and how they couldn't hold items for me. I've never had an item where I had to be put on a wait list, but I know they do that.

I had been saving up to buy the Death Star and they had it, but it was sold out. I came back a few weeks later and they had it again, but I had already bought it at another retailer. Even though I saved some money buying from the other retailer, I regretted not waiting because the Lego rewards program is so much better and more than makes up for the discount I got.
  • LegonizerLegonizer San Diego, CAMember Posts: 39
    I visit my local LEGO store (Sacramento) the most frequently, it's a very standard layout for the store. I visited one in the bay area (don't remember which) that had a vey similar layout. The one in Copenhagen is a little more unique, it's a larger store with a few sculptures, though unfortunately I only got to see from outside the window. the ones at Downtown Disney in California and Florida are very comparable: a large circular building with a few large sculptures scattered about inside and out, but in California they cluster all the sculptures together (the biggest one is even on the roof!) while in florida they're more spread out. ultimately, my favorite is the California Downtown Disney one, though it can sometimes be crowded, but that doesn't mean that I'm not perfectly content with my generic and local Sacramento one.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,252

The LEGO store in Delaware is hands down the best for one simple reason: no sales tax.

I've been to all of the following stores, but the 7%-10% you save from no sales tax trumps them all:

All Chicago area
    Birmingham, AL
    Both Atlanta stores
    Nashville - May be my favorite PAB wall
    Raleigh and Charlotte, NC
    Downtown Disney
    Delaware - best store

This is one of the reasons why it is rumored that all of the LEGO stores in Chicagoland were only in Cook County, because of the sales tax is much higher in Cook than in surrounding counties and if they built a LEGO store in one of those counties it would pull revenue from the others due to that fact. I'm not sure about that reason, or if people really would, but I know that it would make complete sense to have one of these in neighboring DuPage County, but yet they have not. Now with the Gurnee LEGO store being in Lake County, this gives me hope that they could one day add one in sites like Yorktown mall, Oakbrook mall, or Fox Valley Mall.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    Been around the block.... lol. . Er brick
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 385
    I'm local to the Mall of America. I just don't like going there, especially around the holidays.

I was quite impressed with the Downtown Disney Orlando store though. Big place, the guy at the PaB wall was very nice. Wish I was local to there (for lots of reasons). I think I might try to hit up some others this summer.
  • TK2012WSWTK2012WSW United StatesMember Posts: 37
    CCC said:

TK2012WSW said:

Phipps Plaza (Georgia)

Is that one still a Discovery Centre shop, or a regular store. I went about 2.5 years ago and the range of sets was fairly poor, especially for AFOLs as they cater mainly for kids. I seem to remember there being a lot of gear - foam rubber shields and swords etc. PAB was awful, plus they charged by weight rather than by volume.

What was good though was the availability of polybags (they had the Frodo one, long before it became common, Thor, and some Friends ones that had not yet appeared anywhere else.) They were also very good for keychains, having probably the biggest range I have ever seen in a store.

They did also have an engraving machine where you could get your name engraved on a brick. All good stuff for kids coming out of the LDC.
    Yes, it is a Discovery Center. I was there this past October and it wasn't too bad. They had a lot of larger sets there when I was there.

I used to live in ATL, but moved before they opened the one at Phipps and honestly didn't even know about it until I came back for a visit and saw the entire food court was gone and replaced with the Discovery Center.
  • WallaceWallace Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2015
    I've been to Kingston (when it was open) Brighton,Bluewater,Stratford, and Watford.

Watford is the store that we visit the most, even though the stores mentioned are all pretty much about an
    hours drive from where we live (Guildford). I guess we would choose to go to Watford over the other stores because it's the easiest to get to, and the Disney store is right next to it and my wife ALWAYS wants to go in there.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    edited January 2015
    TK2012WSW said:

CCC said:

TK2012WSW said:

Phipps Plaza (Georgia)

I used to live in ATL, but moved before they opened the one at Phipps and honestly didn't even know about it until I came back for a visit and saw the entire food court was gone and replaced with the Discovery Center.

I found the Lawrenceville / Sugarloaf one on the outskirts to be excellent. Very well stocked PAB wall, and one of the guys that worked there (I think he was called Scott) was an obvious AFOL and very chatty during a quiet period. I think he or maybe his LUG had contributed some of the display models, as he talked me through quite a few of them.

I didn't have a car, but it was a nice long train then bus ride from ATL.
    TK2012WSW
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,354
    I haven't been to many, mainly just the two London stores.

Westfield Shepherds Bush is OK, it is the one I go to the most as it is the easiest to get to. The displays are good but not great and the PAB wall is pretty rubbish. The last few visits have been disappointing stock wise as well, but in the main I find it has a good range. The staff are nice enough and tend to engage when they can, but the store in usually very busy so there isn't much time for talk.

Westfield Stratford is Excellent, I normally run there on my lunch break (a habit that is soon to end) so when I am there in the week the store is almost always empty so the staff have all the time in the world to chat. I have had so great experiences there with staff helping in CMF hunts, chatting about events and sets and they all seem fans of what they sell and many of the IP's as well so I normally end up spending half an hour or more there each time. that said the store is a touch small and it would be nice to see a bit more on display but nothing to be done about the space.

The Windsor LEGOLAND shop, while not actually a Lego Store it sort of counts, it is big, normally well stocked and from time to time there are some interesting price discrepancies, I am there on a monthly basis with the kids and we often find polybags and mini bits and bobs for a few pounds less than [email protected] or elsewhere (we found the Friends Tent Camping set for £7.99 before Christmas for example). Staff are nice but they are not knowledgeable and they don't tend to help unless you grab them at a counter, also on the wrong day it is quite possibly the busiest shop ever, generally I try to run in and out as quick as I can, but it does have a lot of nice displays and custom models and combined with the Star Wars store around the corner that is worth a look, also a good stock of Lego accessories and clothing which the Lego stores don't carry, which I always find odd.

Downtown Disney in CA, been there a fair bit (work trips) and it is Good, nice displays and layout, the staff have been friendly and chatty each time I have been there, which is quite something when you see the volume of people that go through that place on any given day. A lot of stock as I recall as well, also got to love the dollar price :)
  • CoyotelilyCoyotelily God's Own County, UKMember Posts: 655
    Sheffield for me, been to Leeds, Manchester Arndale, Manchester discovery, Gateshead, and downtown disney and Sheffield is still my favourite closely followed by Downtown Disney .
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    @dneul -- last time I went to Des Peres, there was one employee there that did NOT fit in with the rest of them. He was a complete ___, actually. My little girl actually went shopping with her mom instead of helping me with PAB cups.

I emailed Amy about it, since the LBR store is one of the draws to STL, and it was one of my fave stores. Now, I'm not so sure.

I love the

Frisco, Tx
    Overland Park, KS

Wish I could like the

Oklahoma City, OK store, but it didnt really have much going for it.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    Was it a really big tall guy @jasor
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    @dneul‌ .... if he was really loud, (unhip?), and rude....yeah. hahaha. I know his name, but I dont wanna put him on blast.

The other employees didnt seem to get on with him very well. Worst experience I've ever had in a LBR store.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I've been to the Columbus and Beachwood, Ohio stores. Beachwood is only about 20 minutes away so its the best!
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    The best Lego stores I have been to are in peoples homes. I must of been to around 30 the last year or so. The staff seem very pleased for me take the Lego away. They also seem very clued on and able to answer questions such as when the Lego was bought and what sets might be lurking in the piles. The shops do seem to have different ways to store the Lego though, some in the orignial boxes, others in plastic bags or plastic storage containers with or without lids... One shop stored the Lego in an old suitcase, which is very pratical if you wish to move the Lego around with you.
    I suppose the best shop was in Edinburgh, where the staff showed me the piles of Lego. I was well pleased with the Lego, but asked if I could have the orginal boxes/manuals, not thinking I would get any, but the staff came back with loads of boxes and manuals. It really saved my day.
    chuckp
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,029
    Went to the Braintree Mall one a while back just after Jaime B. visited. Boy was that place rockin. All in all a great staff and selection. Highly recommend that location.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,297
    Hands down the Downtown Disney Lego store. I love the Lego sculptures inside and out!
    chuckp
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,029
    I think someone said in a post above its whichever one is closest to you. I think that said it all. Mods, please close this thread. :wink:
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    starfire2 said:

Hands down the Downtown Disney Lego store. I love the Lego sculptures inside and out!

@starfire2‌ I agree, the Downtown Disney store is my personal fav too. It's really the only store that feels different than the others.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    edited January 2015
    Dfenz said:

For parts - but not sets, by a mile its the Fabrik store at LEGOLAND Gunzburg. Ever wonder why those German sellers seem to have rare parts in large quantities on BL or parts that shouldn't even exist - well you have your explanation. Think of a typical PAB wall with few restrictions and brand new parts.

I agree after visiting all six LL parks and several US stores. Ginzburg's Fabrik store inside Legoland Germany was hands down the best source of parts when we were there for EB 2013. And Dfenz has taken his family there many times, so he should know!

I buy sets from many sources, but do enjoy visiting the Raleigh store because it is easy to get to on most weekdays outside of rush hour traffic, and the staff are friendly. So yes, the closest store usually is the favorite for many of us. We are so fortunate to have a LEGO store less than 20 minutes from home. (For those lucky souls with regular access to the LEGO Employees store in Billund town, they have it made in the shade! It was so much fun just seeing all that they offer....WOW! And the small Billund Airport store is quite nice.)
  • Vindic8edVindic8ed Member Posts: 163
    edited January 2015
    I've been to four. The Carlsbad one in LL California was the biggest. The one in downtown Chicago had the coolest models built (Chicago skyline in the front window, life sized Iron Man, dragon going in and out of the ceiling, etc.). The other two were just your standard rectangular stores: San Diego and Salt Lake City.

Personally though, I preferred when there wasn't one near by (in state) because when I ordered stuff from shop.lego.com I didn't have to pay taxes... =)
    TarDomo
  • QuentinBrickQuentinBrick STLMember Posts: 21
    I live in the DC area, so I have been to the ones listed by @hoyatables and we have an additional one in Annapolis. The Potomac Mills one is my favorite, but as stated before it is not the same as the "standard" mall models, lots more room. It also seems to always have piles of "sale" Lego around. Usually two tables worth, for example I picked up 75021 Republic Gunship for $71.98. Not sure if it is an "outlet" or not but of the area's four stores they always have the huge selection of sales...oh and damaged boxes with discounts. I have had great visits at all. The kids love getting their passport stamps.

I have been to the Chicago area ones too, all are decent and great employees all around.
  • B_HollsB_Holls Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2015
    I've been two three that I can remember the first of which is the one in the Palisades Mall in New Jersey. Great PAB wall and friendly staff could have asked for more. Also have visited the one in Orlando Florida at Downtown Disney. Did not talk much to the staff there but was impressed by the many displays and large set selection. Finally I have been to one in Danbury Connecticut. The staff there has been nice but hard to work with. Back when the #75060 UCS Slave 1 was released I went in several times to find it out of stock, now this is normal but after asking them to see when they would get another set in I could not get a straight answer out of any of the employes. Each time I talked to them I got a different answer. I finally did get one of the sets but it was slightly painful. Despite all that it is a luxury to have a store 15 minutes away, so if only for convince's sake Danbury is my favorite and most used.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,435
    I've been to only CA ones.

Hillsdale
    Valley Fair
    Downtown Disney (Anaheim)

- Hillsdale is long but tucked away in the mall.
    - VF is ALWAYS busy and the staff is constantly restocking. But they are prone to selling out of sets. Lots of disposable income in Silicon Valley.
    - Downtown Disney in Disneyland is my favorite. It's large, full of sets from wall to wall, and have a cool birthday party center in a second floor room.
    But it's hard to buy anything there when you're visiting Disneyland at the same time because you have to haul it around.
  • povoropovoro Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    London Westfield has great staff and a decent range. Was in there today and they had rearranged the store and were crammed with stock. One of the staff even helped me find a Minifigure my daughter wanted.

Best store i've visited would be Paris Disneyland. Huge store, best kids building area i've ever seen, and a huge range, plus a few store exclusives.

New York City - Both stores are pretty good. The Madison Square Park store seems better than the Rockefeller store to me. Better layout and less packed with people. Make sure you get the Statue of Liberty set.

Cologne Germany is also a great store. Other than the Cathedral, it was one of the highlights! 

• minicoopers11minicoopers11 USAMember Posts: 104
    I've been to Lego stores in many places. Favorite so far has been Downtown Disney in Anaheim, CA. Huge. Employee store in Billund was great too, but I don't think that counts. ;)
  • Bob123Bob123 Member Posts: 46
    I've been ti two lego stores, but as far as I can tell the Lego store in Downtown Disney in Florida, U.S. is the best. It has a great Pick a brick wall and its a lot bigger than most lego stores. The other lego store I've been to which is in Rochester, NY is good, but the Pick a brick wall isn't the best since the store is small.
    LegoTT
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    I've been to a few across the country-

Austin, TX
    Philadelpha, PA
    St. Louis, MO
    Kansas City, MO
    Schaumburg, IL
    Downtown Disney (Orlando, FL)

Downtown Disney knocks the pants off of all the above. Huge store, the pick-a-brick wall is awesome, lots of displays. There isn't even a contest....
  • minicoopers11minicoopers11 USAMember Posts: 104
    Has anyone been to multiple downtown disney stores? Curious how those compare against each other.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I vote for any Lego store prior to 2012.
    Bumblepants
  • MathiasMathias United StatesMember Posts: 94
    I've been to a few. The two Ive been to most are the ones at the wood field mall in Illinois and my regular water tower place in Chicago. The one in wood field is super small. Not a lot of selection especially when it comes to the CMFs. The water tower place Is super easy for me to get to since I live in the city. They always have what I'm looking for and sometimes they put stuff out early. I'm a regular there and if I can't find something on the pick a brick wall they have gone in the back and opened new boxes for me. They've also given me a fresh box of CMF to make sure I found all 16 in one run. They are super helpful. The bad thing about the place is its one of first stores you see walking in the mall. So of course it's fill with lots of children and families. Nothing wrong with that. But I like to be in and out without lots of waiting. So I go at weird hours when traffic there is minimal.
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 487
    ^Right you are, North West :o) I used to think of York as North, then I passed it in the car about two hours before reaching Durham! I will always be a proud Southerner lost in these barbaric lands ;o)
    To be fair, Chris, anything past the Watford gap is north... ;)
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 843
    Best one for me for Pick a Brick choice was Berlin.

UK ones - Milton Keynes is my nearest - good, friendly but spoilt by a small PaB wall.
    Watford is good, larger PaB wall and friendly staff.
    London stores are good, good PaB selctions, need to visit both as several PaB variations.
    Copenhagen - too expensive but some nice models on display.
    Antwerp, Belguim - OK 

• gman2coolgman2cool Member Posts: 4
    This is kinda opposite of what the post is about, just figured someone would want to know in case planning to visit. The Nashville one at Oppry Mills mall, besides a good display of sets and items to purchase, has some of the worst items to be bought at pick-a-brick...and I mean ever. 
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,143
    I've only ever been to the one in King of Prussia.

I should have gone to the Delaware store last time though, as I was actually closer to that one that day and could have saved myself something like $15 in sales tax.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 762
    I've been to:
    NY
    Palisades
    Westchester
    Rockefeller Center
    Roosevelt Field
    Queens
    LLDC Yonkers

NJ
    Elizabeth
    Paramus

Maryland

Pennsylvania
    King of Prussia

Delaware

Virginia
    Tysons Corner
    Potomac Mills

Florida
    Downtown Disney

Of these 14 LEGO Stores, my favorite to shop at has be the one at the Queens Center Mall in Elmhurst, Queens. The store is run extremely well from the manager Richard and through the staff that I love to see when I visit this store. The employees will always check the back to let me know the selection of PaB that isn't on the floor. Just a great time all around when I go to this store. When I go to this store I can see the Brand Ribbon models I built for the store as well as the LUG Showcase models ILUGNY has on display there.

If it weren't for the LEGO imagination Center at Downtown Disney though I may have never gotten back into LEGO because this is where my reconnection with LEGO began.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    edited April 2015
    I've been to Lego stores in Texas (Stonebriar), Nashville (Opry Mills), Orlando (Disney), and Virginia (Potomac Mills). I really liked the Stonebriar and Opry Mills stores. A store is only as good as its manager, and both of these have great managers (Gail and Donnell). The other two stores may have good managers too; I just never had the opportunity to get to know them.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,226
    In Canada I've been to the Calgary store (can't remember which mall it was in, I drove from Vancouver for the opening) and the store in Oakridge mall, Vancouver.

In the US I've been to the one at Rockerfeller Center, NY, the one in Bellvue Square Mall, Washington, the Alderwood Mall, Washington store, and the Downtown Disney Lego Store in Florida.

In the UK I have been to Glasgow and London Stratford.

As far as the stores go, I find them very same-y, even from country to country. That's not a bad thing though, Lego's "servicescape" (oh, the horrors of retail marketing haunting my Lego store visits now) is fab. But just based on layout and product availability, I kind of feel like... seen one, seen em all. Although Downtown Disney had way better display models - I mean, that Nessie alone! (and bigger PAB wall but I wasnt into PAB yet when I went.. ). I also thought all of them had great, and I mean really superb customer service, except Alderwood where maybe I felt a bit... guilty, almost, for being AFOL.

I've had some really memorable experiences with some Lego stores though... Calgary I think was my fave by far, that's when I started speaking to some people while I waited in line for the door and realised I wasn't strange for having never outgrown Lego! People there were just so nice. A shop assistant in Vancouver randomly gave me a collectable Yoda Duplo brick (or R2 I forgot which) once, and I hadn't even mentioned anything about missing out on it during the grand opening. I also remember my excitement when found NY Taxis in the NY store... anyway, my point is... they're all the same but they aren't, at least in my eyes. I could never pick a best!
  • luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299
    I'm headed to the one in Northpoint Mall in Alpharetta tomorrow. I'll report back what I find. It's the first one we've been to since I got into sets back in 2013. I'm excited!
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 203
    I have been to a few:
    Alabama - Riverchase Galleria 
    California - Downtown Disney District/ Ontario Mills
    Florida - Downtown Disney
    Georgia - Sugarloaf Mills
    Hawaii - Ala Moana Center
    New York - Rockefeller Center
    Tennessee - Opry Mills (Home Base Lego Store)
    Texas - Stonebriar Center
    Virgina - Potomac Mills/ Tyson's Corner Center

The coolest one I have been to would be the Rockefeller Center. Both the Downtown Disneys would be a close second.

I was stationed in Germany for three years and did not go into any Lego Stores when I was there. Although it was 97-00, so not sure what stores were open back then. I really regret not going to Denmark to see Lego HQ's.

• jedijason1138jedijason1138 Member Posts: 145
    I took my sons to the St. Louis (West County Mall) location for their birthday. Last year, the employees gave my sons polybagged helicopters, which they loved! This year was great, too. The employees were so nice. They gave them each a polybagged Lego Shop employee minifigure, then let them pick out an alternate head from the build a figure kiosk. Since I was buying something, I got 2 Bionicle polybags, which I gave to the boys. The guys working in the store were very helpful. One of them has been there since they opened.