Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

76042 UCS Helicarrier

Comments

• ChewybricksChewybricks Florida, U.S.Member Posts: 57
    Wow, that custom carrier with 6700pieces is incredible. Want to buy that carrier instead, lol.
  • ChewybricksChewybricks Florida, U.S.Member Posts: 57
    Agreed about power functions. The lights just are not well done. Not really worth it imo
  • johnhenzjohnhenz Sunderland, EnglandMember Posts: 98
    Ray1204 said:

This is very disappointing that the uk will get winter soldier polybag pre order and not the US also. After spending so much with this set it should have been included already in the set.

What's disappointing is how much more we pay for our lego than the US does. It's not like you lot haven't had an exclusive before, just let us have this one thing. You guys will get it later in the year anyway no big deal.
    xiahna
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Don't blame the US, we are at parity with the EU on this set ($349.99 USD/€349.99 Euros). In fact, the US is even more expensive now because our tax (VAT) is not yet included, which is between 7%-10% more on top of that USD number.

Don't blame the US, we are at parity with the EU on this set ($349.99 USD/€349.99 Euros). In fact, the US is even more expensive now because our tax (VAT) is not yet included, which is between 7%-10% more on top of that USD number.

Good to know
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,866
    It'll be interesting to see what happens if the euro drops further in value like it has been doing recently. If rrp are set in advance, then buying from Europe may be a good option for UK and possibly even US.

If you work it out we pay more than you, simple. It's £270 over here which is what? $415 or something surely even with tax it's not even close
    xiahna
    edited February 2015
    ^Oh i do realize the UK is paying more than the US when converted. With my tax (9% for Los Angeles county), we will end up with a final cost of $381.49 USD. So you're still stuck with about an extra 9.5% premium versus the States.

What I was pointing out is that we (the US folks) are not receiving the nice global discount anymore and now close to same as everyone else in the EU. So that argument is now out the window in general when it comes to our dislike for Lego's high pricing. It only offers a small bit of consolation to our friends in UK, Canada and Australia.

@CCC i'm quite worried about the health of the Euro in total, there's a good chance we might see 1:1 on it soon (<3 years) with the dollar. We've begun adding currency stipulations into new contracts to be proactive in addressing this potential crisis, as half of our corporation (as well as customers) is based in Europe.

It's difficult to predict what TLG is going to do though, since so much of their revenue comes from the US. If they ratchet up the RRP on us much more, it may greatly impact their total sales volume here in whole.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    johnhenz said:

If you work it out we pay more than you, simple. It's £270 over here which is what? $415 or something surely even with tax it's not even close

You pay more for LEGO but you pay less for other things because of the taxes you pay on the LEGO.

VAT in the UK is about 20%, correct? What is USD $350 with a 20% tax, converted to pounds? Oh, about £270.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693

Sales tax in the U.S. is between 0 and 10%.

LEGO is still cheaper in the States, but with the dollar being so strong and the Euro and Canadian dollar doing especially bad lately, it's becoming relatively much more expensive.

Funny to see if many who fail to understand basic economics continue to complain about pricing now.
    edited February 2015
  • EddieDoesntMindEddieDoesntMind Member Posts: 329
    Can anyone confirm what Captain America's hair color is?
  • Ray1204Ray1204 USAMember Posts: 69
    edited February 2015
    Hair color is Carmel blonde
    edited February 2015
    I'm half through the set. So far the set is easy to build and not as big as I thought it would be.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,655
    Finally an option for a Galactus minifigure! LEGO could include the Minifigure Trophy of the heroes in a set and have Galactus as a regular Minifigure. Similar to what they done with the Ant-man set.
    Ok, so his hair is new. Great.
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235

Wow, that custom carrier with 6700pieces is incredible. Want to buy that carrier instead, lol.

Maybe they'll release the LDD file once it is rejected, and people would then be able to bricklink it instead of buying the official one. I'd definitely do ;)
    sklamb
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 858
    Adzbadboy said:

Finally an option for a Galactus minifigure! LEGO could include the Minifigure Trophy of the heroes in a set and have Galactus as a regular Minifigure. Similar to what they done with the Ant-man set.

My only issue with that is the scale. Galactus is significantly larger than a micro fig. I'd be cool if he was a buildable fig
    Drmnez said:

Adzbadboy said:

My only issue with that is the scale. Galactus is significantly larger than a micro fig. I'd be cool if he was a buildable fig
    I think he means Galactus would be a normal minifigure, and the regular sized people would be micro.

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,335
    edited February 2015
    ^, ^^

Or just make your own.

VorpalRyu
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263

Drmnez said:

Adzbadboy said:

I think he means Galactus would be a normal minifigure, and the regular sized people would be micro.

I think he was saying that a minifig isn't "significantly" larger than a micro fig. So the proposed solution still wouldn't have been well scaled.
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    graphite said:

Drmnez said:

Adzbadboy said:

I think he was saying that a minifig isn't "significantly" larger than a micro fig. So the proposed solution still wouldn't have been well scaled.
    Yeah, I think this is what he's saying. The scale is still wrong, unless they came out with some new mid-size scale that wasn't a big fig. Even then, though. That custom one though is fantastic; I don't know how Lego could do any better.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,655
    Yeah, Galactus would be a minifigure and the heroes would be minifigure trophys like seen in the Helicarrier.

I think LEGO would just release Galactus as a buildable figure like Groot or Hulkbuster, but what I said first it's a better choice in my opinion!
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    Um isn't Galactus significantly bigger than Earth? He eats planets. I don't think any appropriate scale would really be achievable in LEGO.
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315

Um isn't Galactus significantly bigger than Earth? He eats planets. I don't think any appropriate scale would really be achievable in LEGO.

He's been of various different sizes throughout the comics, so it really depends on the source material. His appearance in the Lego Marvel game isn't ridiculously big, while some comic versions do have him as big as planets. I'm guessing they would go with their game version as inspiration if one ever happened, though it won't lol.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    UCS Galactus would be interesting...
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    UCS Galactus would be interesting...
    Well, they used to do big UCS models of characters, like Yoda and R2D2. So it's really not impossible, just highly unlikely. 
    bobabricks
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,310
    Hmmm, I might have to hit LDD later & see about designing a Galactus constraction figure to go with my Helicarrier....uhhh....yet another Lego Ideas project, like I don't have enough concepts to finish already!
    xiahna
    edited February 2015
    Has anyone else bought more than one Helicarrier from LEGO.com? I was curious if it would let me add one to my cart....which it did, now contemplating clicking through to buy. Or have TLG lifted the purchase limit?
    xiahna
    I've ordered one already from [email protected] (complete with Bucky), but for some reason while on the site this morning I tried adding one to my cart, I expected it not to work with the purchase limit that was there when I ordered it the first time. I won't lie, heard it might end up like the UCS MF value wise, so I've been toying with the idea of getting a second as an investment for a rainy day...
    xiahna
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    Why not just try and see? They can't take the one you already ordered back. The worst that could happen is that they cancel your order. I've heard horror stories of people losing their VIP Points, but I find it hard to believe that they'd do that for trying to order two Helicarriers alone. Just a hunch.
    Thanks for that LegoTT, my wife just read your post & now I've been told if I don't try it, she'll high-jack the comp later & do for me... :smile: 
    carlqxiahna
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 954
    ^^
    Sounds like the perfect wife.  When talking Lego of course.
    I know we have a winter soldier but a Bucky minfig would be awesome...
    When I said Bucky, I was referring to the Winter Soldier, but a Bucky Barnes mini-fig would also make for an awesome extra.

I would like to see a few sets with the heroes & villains alter-egos, at the very least, the ones in the video game such as Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, Thaddeus Ross, etc...
    xiahna
    Even if there is a purchase limit, it is done per order. So if you try again, it will work. Then if you order too many of a popular set early on, they will flag you as a reseller and possibly ban you.
    PS I'm sure it will rise, no chance of being the next ucs MF though, and not for a long time.
    Was only considering an extra one, keep it as a rainy day investment, if I do, wouldn't be looking to sell unless we vitally need cash...
    xiahna
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^^ Yep, surprised no one else pointed out that there's no way this ends up a similar value to #10179. close to half the piece count, not anything like as iconic, and about a million times as many resellers keeping them MISB.
    scrumper
    Not as iconic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicarrier

Nuff said...
    xiahna
    VorpalRyu said:
    The lego one doesn't look much like the one in the wikipedia article you linked to. Whereas the MF is the MF, they haven't changed the design. If you show any picture of the MF to just about anyone, then they'll know what it is. This, I'm not so sure. So, I'd agree it is less iconic.
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    Try comparing the helicarrier set to this 
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    The set imho is based on the video game helicarrier
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    Walk up to anyone on the street and most of them would not know what the Helicarrier is; in fact, I didn't even know what it was until I saw the Avengers. I'm 43 years old.
    SuperTrampscrumpercarlqLegoboybobabricks
    For Gen-Xer's like myself, yeah, the MF is pretty iconic, I was born in '76... Amongst Gen-Y's, many have never seen a SW movie & wouldn't know what it is without prompting, even then at least half would guess its the Serenity... Around school kids my son's age mention SW, you might get two or three kids who know anything, but mention superheroes & some even come out with stuff I have to Google...

The scene in Avenger with the Helicarrier lift off, that took me back to my childhood more than all of Ep-I (Ep-II & III were awesome), I finally saw Nick Fury's Helicarrier, that insane feat of engineering, finally realised on a movie screen...
    xiahna
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Pitfall69 said:
    Walk up to anyone on the street and most of them would not know what the Helicarrier is; in fact, I didn't even know what it was until I saw the Avengers. I'm 43 years old.
    This
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993

Isn't the LEGO Helicarrier based of the 2012 The Avengers film version?

As far as iconic goes - Falcon hands down - 38 Years to burn itself into our psyches! Personally, the most interesting thing about that Wiki link is the fact that the Helicarrier (albeit not in its current form)  is actually twelve years OLDER than the Falcon (first appearance '65)...

edited February 2015

Isn't the LEGO Helicarrier based of the 2012 The Avengers film version?

That is the problem - there are different versions of the same thing. So how can it be iconic, when it changes so much. Whereas the MF, whether in the movies, books, cartoons, etc is always depicted in the same way.
    My wife was born in '88, while she had never seen a SW movie before we got together, back then she was more of a DC fan & she was almost hyperventilating at the announcement that the Helicarrier was going to be in Avengers... Yet she couldn't readily identify the Falcon. Heck, mention the 'Falcon' to most of the 5-7 year olds that my son hangs around, they say either they like Sam Wilson or who their favourite superhero is...
    xiahna