Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

myBrickset Android App

Comments

• RikTheVeggieRikTheVeggie CanadaMember Posts: 353
    myBrickset 2.3.0 is ready and will be pushed out to the stores shortly. If you would like an advance copy / would like to do some pre-release testing you can grab it from here:
    http://otissoft.co.uk/mybrickset/bin/myBrickset-google-release-55-2.3.0.apk
    http://otissoft.co.uk/mybrickset/bin/myBrickset-amazon-release-55-2.3.0.apk

As usual this will install directly on top of the current version. If you take the google version, you will also need to place http://otissoft.co.uk/mybrickset/bin/patch.55.uk.co.otissoft.mybrickset.obb into Android/obb/uk.co.otissoft.mybrickset (alongside the existing main & patch files) - this is a data file that contains new images, but isn't available from Google until I push the app.

This is mostly a stability release, support for non-ASCII characters has been added for usernames & passwords (my bad, I never realised this was an issue) along with some minor bug fixes, functionality tweaks and a simplified login page (which will hopefully cut down on the support requests I receive from people unable to log in).

If you can assist with translating myBrickset into your native language, please contact me. At the moment this is a manual process which involves editing XML files, I am currently investigating an online solution to simplify the process and allow multiple contributors.
    danny316pSumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,219
    I've been having corrupt database problems with the app, and cannot sync.  Is anyone else having this issue?
    edited December 2015
    Did you mail me about the issue?  I've been without internet at home for a few days but never saw anything pop up on my phone.

How did you diagnose the issue as being a corrupt db?  Are you able to send me a copy so I can try and make the app more resilient should such a state happen again?

If you are logged in with your Brickset account it's safe to 'clear data' for myBrickset which will rebuild the db and resync with brickset.com.  

Before you reset, please use the app to send me a copy of your log so I can see if there's an exception etc that I'm not handling.  Thanks :)
    SumoLegokiki180703
    I uninstalled the app and re-installed and everything appears to be back to normal.

I didn't e-mail you about it.  
    Glad it's working, please LMK if it happens again.
    LegoboySumoLego
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited December 2015
    Finally got around to updating my Nexus 7 (2013) to Marshmallow a week ago. You probably know this already, but the app works fine on the newest version.
    One minor (and probably unrelated) glitch I did notice though is that on the tablet, it only displays a single digit for number owned or wanted while in portrait. In both landscape views it displays fine, and even portrait is ok on my phone.
    Anyway, it's not a big issue, since only army builders could ever stumble across it, but I figured you should know. ;)
    Thanks for the info Joseph - looks related to my trying to line everything up to look pretty :)  I'll take a look at fixing it for the next release (which I'm hoping will be soon - wanted it out before xmas but home & work have been crazy the past few months).
    Is anyone experiencing issues syncing their sets atm? The brickset.com webapi doesn't seem to be returning any results - I've dropped a mail to Huw asking him to investigate from his end.
    No problem with my four profiles.  I'll sync in again to see if there are any errors.
    Thanks @SumoLego.  

Turns out I was testing incorrectly on my PC (my debug device wasn't available so I tested the interface through a web browser - and messed up!).  I'm not sure what's going on with the user that reported the issue to me, but now I can investigate safe in the knowledge that the webapi is stable and working correctly.
    SumoLego
    I think the app goes underappreciated.  It's an excellent tool to maintain a collection.
    LegoboyVorpalRyu
    edited January 2016
    It's taken a lot longer than I hoped, but I'm finally happy enough to share with you all the latest version of myBrickset.

This is a Public Beta, which means you may find bugs - none of them should be serious though.

If you find any issues, please let me know (here or by email).  I know I still haven't got around to some of the issues previously reported, feel free to remind me of them if you like :)

There are no major visible changes here, but a lot of minor bug fixes, performance improvements and under-the-covers enhancements.  I've also totally overhauled the logging (so I can get better information when things go wrong) and upgrade code (to make upgrades faster and safer), and introduced an automated feature that will ensure your database remains up to date even in those rare cases where brickset.com doesn't send the changes out (especially with CMFs being renumbered).  

This version also introduces translations - 8 languages are now supported (to different extents) - English, Spanish, French, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Thai and Turkish.  Many Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the translations, sorry it's taken so long for your efforts to be included in a release!

Finally, myBrickset no longer ships with Additional Images (but they will still download on demand as required).  Instead, the space is used for higher quality thumbnails of all sets so everything will look better on large or hi-def screens.

There are 2 versions of the app available for testing, one with no images at all (they'll download on demand as needed) and one with all images included.  When the app is formally released, all images will be automatically downloaded as an "extra" file from Google Play as usual.

Please let me know how you get on, what you think of the changes, and whether you find any bugs.

One minor note - don't be alarmed if your 'sets' listing looks sparse when you first log on with the new version, the database is being rebuilt in the background - it should take 30-60 seconds at most even with an old or slow device.  I'm hoping to stop this from happening at all in the final released version but didn't want to hold off getting some feedback whilst I look into it.
    SumoLegoGalactuskiki180703
    Downloading it now!
    Hmm, the database doesn't seem to be rebuilding for me. On both my phone and tablet (4.4.2 & 6.0.1) my owned/wanted list vanishes after updating. This is likely a result of no sets to place in it since searching by set number also yields no results and the "by theme" search option never populates.
    I'd assume that this is normal based on your comment, but it doesn't fix itself even after several minutes.
    Edit: That might be a false alarm; clearing app data and logging back in fixes it. There does seem to be a slight formatting issue, but I'll look more closely in a few hours.
    Thanks for the info Joseph.  There shouldn't have been a need to clear the data - it would go through the exact same process as an upgrade anyway.  Maybe the upgrade stalled the first time with an error but I can't think why.  I shall definitely revisit the logic and ensure I don't clear the database first (was trying to get rid of sets that are no longer in the Brickset.com db, but I can do this another way rather than the lazy way!). 

If you see a similar issue again can you send me the logs please - I've greatly enhanced the logging so hopefully it'll help me a lot more than the previous logs did.  There's also a feature now to allow the database to be exported (for backup or diagnostic purposes) but I haven't yet enabled this for general usage or incorporated it into the log sending.

• JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,472
    I'm having a similar issue with nothing showing up after upgrading. Galaxy S6, if that's of any interest.
    I'll upload logs before trying to clear cache and logging back in.
    Thanks for a great app and obviously don't worry about teething problems! :-)
    SumoLegokiki180703
    I had to clear my data as well, but it's all good.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    Occasionally, I've had to sync it two or three times before it's picked up new sets I've added to my collection on the site, not a big issue, just slightly annoying. A big issues for me is the notes, I add notes on Brickset with Australia RRP to sets as they appear on [email protected], so when I'm out shopping I can see how much the set should be, but notes only show up for sets in my collection on the app.
    xiahna
    @VorpalRyu - if I understand you correctly, notes will only show if a set is marked as owned or wanted?  Did this happen in the previous version too?  It's a definite bug, thanks for letting me know.  The sync process may occasionally take a little longer now, if you're on WiFi it will, every so often, download a full copy of the db from my private server and use it to ensure your internal db is up to date (this fixes issues when brickset.com doesn't mark data as having changed) before syncing your sets.  Normally this wouldn't happen so soon after a fresh install but I purposely included slightly old data in the beta so I could check this process kicked in ok.

@JudgeChuck & @SumoLego - don't know what's causing you to have to reset your data, I'll take another look at the upgrade process as it sounds like I've missed something. 

Many thanks for beta testing everyone so I don't get swamped with emails and 1-star ratings when it goes live!

I've had that issue before - before the upgrade.  Frankly, I think it is an Android sync issue, rather than the app.  But, I also have no idea how these things work.

The error noted that the db was corrupt.
    Thanks everyone for all of your testing efforts!  I've investigated all of your comments and am ready to let you all have a play with beta 2.

On startup, the db is no longer cleared down.  
    Sending logs now gives the option to include a copy of the db (very useful for investigating some issues).
    Should the app be unable to launch it will export all logs and a copy of the db to the standard data directory (/Android/data) to help with debugging.
    Other minor fixes.
    Update list of CMF parts.
    I've looked into downloading notes for sets which are not owned or wanted, and Huw is going to update brickset.com's api so I can access them.
    I was unable to recreate any 'db is corrupt' errors after upgrading - if you experience this again, please LMK and send me a copy of the db.  I've done some reworking which will hopefully stop the issue occurring but can't promise it's fixed.

As before, there are two copies available:
    images [193MB]: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lGYnEDgTkZeU9OcU9hZWhBMnM/view?usp=sharing

As usual, please let me know how you get on, what you think of the changes, whether you find any bugs or if you want to remind me of something I haven't fixed yet.
    SumoLegoVorpalRyukiki180703
    Downloading now!
    The "no results" issue seems to be completely cleared now. It doesn't happen again if updating from the Google Play version, and even if I update from the "broken" previous beta it fixes itself within a few minutes!

The only bugs that I can find right now are formatting related. Namely the issue with displaying a single digit for quantity owned (detailed towards the top of this page), and another which causes certain set images to overlap with the owned counter (see attached images).
    However both of these only happen while in portrait more on a large(r) screened device. Per usual, great job with the app!
    edited February 2016
    @VorpalRyu - Huw's put the API changes into production now and I've added the functionality to the app.  From the next release you'll get Notes even if the set isn't marked as owned or wanted.

@Joseph - thanks for the formatting bugs, I'll take a look.  Can you LMK specifically which device you saw the issue on? (I'll try and create an emulator that matches the screen size, resolution, dpi, etc).

Glad to hear the data doesn't disappear on update anymore.  I'm still not happy with how long it takes to process the data as new users will have a pretty empty db until it's processed.  Don't know why it's taking so long to process 13k rows (although it's in a background thread so limited to a % of cpu from what I've read).  I'll see if I can figure out where the bottlenecks are and speed things up.
    VorpalRyukiki180703SumoLego
    ^ That one was a Nexus 7 (2013).
    @RikTheVeggie That is awesome! Thank you for adding that. :D :D
    xiahna
    @Joseph - the layout issues with Set Details on a Nexus 7 (Image overlapping Wanted, Wanted only showing single digits) should be resolved in the next release.

Also in the next release - Italian translations, links to Bricklink & Brickowl, faster database build (about 30 seconds on an S3), new installs show prices in both USD & GBP by default.  I still need to update the sets & images that ship with the app, and investigate why Additional Images aren't showing.

I'll upload the app again on Sunday night, sooner if I've fixed the bugs and completed my UI testing on several screen sizes.

Question - does anyone use the < link next to the App Icon?  It's meant to be a 'home' button according to the Android Spec but I've had lots of complaints from people who expect it to work as a 'back' button.  Should I rework it?  I'd rather make it do what people expect than follow the spec to the letter (especially as I haven't yet seen another app that implements this).

Question - does anyone use the < link next to the App Icon?  It's meant to be a 'home' button according to the Android Spec but I've had lots of complaints from people who expect it to work as a 'back' button.  Should I rework it?  I'd rather make it do what people expect than follow the spec to the letter (especially as I haven't yet seen another app that implements this).

I know that at least I myself, especially on larger screens, have instinctively tried to use it as a back button. For a minute I thought that you had removed the ability to go back one step in the beta until I realized I wasn't using the actual (ie Android's) back button.
    Just noticed a few issues with the Minifigures: Series 15 display the no image icon for Flying Warrior, Faun & Kendo Fighter. Series 12 all of them are displaying the wrong pictures, Swashbuckler is showing Battle Goddess, Battle Goddess is showing Piggy Guy, etc. Deleted all the image data, but problem persists.
    xiahna
    @VorpalRyu thanks - don't know why this would be as everything's pulled directly from brickset.com.  I'll take a look.  Just to confirm, you're using a beta and not the version currently in the store? (I'd expect that to have issues with CMFs)
    Currently still using the google store version, haven't messed around with installing beta stuff on my phone before, is it just a matter of downloading & copying across to my phone?
    xiahna
    Ah, that explains it :)  If you download the latest beta you can just 'run' the apk from a file browser and it'll ask if want to install it - if you don't have "install from 3rd party sources" enabled then it might give you an option to enable it (if not, you'll have to turn it on manually).  Or just wait a week or two, I'm hoping to publish a new version to the store shortly and you'll be able to upgrade the same as any other app.
    The latest beta is now available.  If all goes well, this will be the last beta and I'll be releasing 2.4.0 in Google Play and Amazon App Store sometime this week.

Contents are as described above, plus I've changed the 'home' button to function as a 'back' button.

As before, there are two copies available:
    images [196MB]: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lGYnEDgTkZeDNIbjlyOGlLdTA/view?usp=sharing

As usual, please let me know how you get on, what you think of the changes, whether you find any bugs or if you want to remind me of something I haven't fixed yet.

Question - almost 200MB for the app is getting quite large - thumbnails of additional images have been removed, but the quality of all other thumbnails has improved (the same change has been made on brickset.com).  Do you like getting all images with the app so you can work offline / don't have to download on demand, or do you think it's better to ship with no images and just download thumbnails as and when they're needed?  I won't make any changes for 2.4.0 but will consider any input for future releases.
  • danny316pdanny316p Member Posts: 13
    I like having all the images. The fact that this works flawlessly with no internet connection is a major reason why this is my favorite Android app.

Would it be an option to offer it both ways, though? You could call the picture-free version something else, like "myBrickset light". I'd hate to see the file size scare people off of the best app around, but I absolutely want the pictures to still be available offline.
    @RikTheVeggie Did you accidentally upload the previous beta? I don't see any of the changes mentioned and both the name and md5 seem to match with the old one.
    Question - almost 200MB for the app is getting quite large - thumbnails of additional images have been removed, but the quality of all other thumbnails has improved (the same change has been made on brickset.com).  Do you like getting all images with the app so you can work offline / don't have to download on demand, or do you think it's better to ship with no images and just download thumbnails as and when they're needed?  I won't make any changes for 2.4.0 but will consider any input for future releases.
    I agree that a choice would be ideal, and being able to have them offline can be invaluable to many. Would it be possible to make it an in-app download (asks when you first open if you'd like to download all the thumbnails)? Of course this would lead to an even longer delay when the user opens the app for the first time...
    edited February 2016
    What the?  How did I even?  d'oh!  Thanks @Joseph, you're quite correct - the links for version 3 are actually version 2!

Let's try again:
    no images [3MB]: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lGYnEDgTkZVHB6amk3emVOVjg/view?usp=sharing
    images [196MB]: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lGYnEDgTkZeDNIbjlyOGlLdTA/view?usp=sharing
    (note - the no images link will attempt to download all images after installation unless you have 'download thumbnails' disabled)

I don't think I can make the image download an optional extra, if I register a data file with Google Play it auto-downloads on install (this is what happens currently) and I don't have the bandwidth to host it on a private server.  I shall investigate though to see if's possible.  

I could ship with no images and have an option to download all of them directly from brickset.com (several images at a time, just like several web browsers hitting the server) but I don't know if Huw would appreciate that!  I'll have a chat with him, it might be a good test of the CDN :)

If I did ship with no images in the app (or maybe just 'recent' images - say the past couple of years), I'd still cache anything that's downloaded by the user so they could be seen when offline (the cache size is specified in the app settings, currently it's used for new sets and 'large' images).  Then again, it shouldn't be much work to offer 2 versions (one with images, one without) so maybe that's the best solution.  

Thanks for the input!
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 281
    I'm not sure if it would work, but maybe you could provide the downloaded images as an add-on apk that only contains a small bit of code for managing the external file. So the main app would be the lite app, and the images db would be a plugin app. It's a little like having two separate apps, but then you don't have the odd user experience of potentially installing two identical apps. The downside is that users wanting the full app with images must install two apps.
    Yay! The formatting looks completely error free on the nexus 7 now.
    The only bug I see now is the app seems to be dropping (or truncating) anything after the decimal point in price; it's not bad normally, but it's rather noticeable when the CMFs are listed as a dollar cheaper than they actually are. :P
    @Joseph - oops, I see what you mean about the prices.  That'll serve me right for running a lint check late at night and not checking the result of my changes!  Thanks for catching that, would've been very embarrassing to ship with that error in!  And thanks for verifying the formatting.

@MrShinyAndNew - an extra app which is just a collection of images which will be used by the main app is an interesting idea, thanks.
    The display of prices is fixed now (only took a few minutes), but I've noticed an issue with the formatting of some Set Descriptions (eg, 10225 R2-D2).  Once that's fixed, if I haven't heard anything else, I'll proceed with pushing 2.4.0 out to the Play Store Thursday or Friday.

Many Thanks everyone for all of your bug reports, feature requests, beta testing, translations, etc over the last 5 years!
    I've just pushed to Google Play - it may take a few hours to be available everywhere.
    I guess I should have tried the beta. There's a slight formatting issue on the main screen on my nexus 5x: the font is large, and the words "collectible minifigs" overlaps the side images.

Thanks for reporting the issue.  The image isn't showing at work for some reason.  I'll take a look when I get home - any fixes should only include a 2-3MB update luckily :) 
    @MrShinyAndNew - issue found, fixed and a new apk has been pushed to Google Play. I'll push to Amazon in a few days once it's confirmed there are no other issues with the latest release.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,472
    Hi @RikTheVeggie just checking, but should we now be on v2.4.1?

@JudgeChuck - that's correct, v2.4.1 is the latest version currently in the Play Store (it contains the fix for the main screen on Nexus 5X).

@MrShinyAndNew - issue found, fixed and a new apk has been pushed to Google Play. I'll push to Amazon in a few days once it's confirmed there are no other issues with the latest release.
    Thanks, I saw the new update come in over the last few days and can confirm that it is indeed fixed for me.
  • deusxanimedeusxanime MN, USAMember Posts: 13
    Did you take out the icon that shows up in the notifications bar when it is syncing? Mine doesn't show any more, so there is no visual feedback whether it is syncing or not. For a while I was thinking it wasn't. I turned on the Manual Refresh option, and then a box pops up over the app itself saying it was Syncing. I did get the corrupt db when trying to do it that way, but I tried a couple more times and eventually it worked. 

After all that I force stopped the app, cleared cache and data, and uninstalled. Then I reinstalled and set up my account again, but still no notification icon when syncing. That led me here because I was wondering if that was expected or not?
    Andor
    Yup, the notification icon has been removed.  It was annoying some people, and Android guidelines have changed so that background processes (including sync) should occur silently - notifications should only be used when there's something requiring the user's attention.

I'm interested in how you managed to get the "corrupt db" error, I shall try and recreate this myself.