Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego Chess Sets

Anybody else collect Lego chess sets when they used to make them? If so let me know
Andor

Comments

• sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 321
    Yes
  • BrandonCarpenterBrandonCarpenter Member Posts: 88
    I wonder why they don't have a larger following? I love them they have so many minifigures.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,372
    Lot's of Minifigures of lower quality than what you would find in sets.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    I've read that discussions about LEGO chess sets are of a lower quality than you would find in other discussions as well.
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    According to just2good, there will be a Pirates chess set this year.
    just2goodLegoKip
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    Plell said:

According to just2good, there will be a Pirates chess set this year.

Hoping my source is right with this one.
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    ooooo we need a Star wars chess set
    bobabricksReesesPiecesrancorbaitNatebwGoldchains
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 306
    I remember a Pirates Tic Tac Toe several years ago, and those minifigures were of decent quality I thought, and I used them to supplement my Imperial Flagship. The chess sets though do have more figures, so that may explain it.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    Jonn420 said:

ooooo we need a Star wars chess set

Oooh, I would love to see a stormtroopers vs. rebel aliance chess set.
  • bigjsdbigjsd Member Posts: 62
    I only have one, the Giant Castle Chess 852293. In my opinion the best chess set ever produced by Lego. I have been tempted to sell it a few times but just cant bring myself to part with it. The minifigs don't seem to be a but inferior to me.
    LegoKip
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,052
    A pirate chess set wouldn't surprise me entirely. They did one for the last pirate run and perhaps they found success with that.

It will be nice to get it if indeed it does come out and compare to the minifigures within the set itself and compare quality.
    AndorMordoor
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    The supply is very thin for the Giant Castle Chess Set 852293. We have one that is put together stored in the carrying case; all of the parts should be there and in good used condition. The set was never played with after it was built. Have no idea what it is worth used and shipped only within the US from NC. Warning: The case is HUGE! Approx 24 by 21 by 8 inches. No longer have the outer box, but the instructions are in great shape. If someone is interested, PM me. It takes up too much room to store in our LEGO room. (It is NOT in perfect condition because the carrying case was flimsy to begin with, but the condition is just okay. One of the two snaps is missing on the front cover. A couple of creases and one small tear, too. It is about 13 years old.) Anyone have any idea what a used set is worth? I checked BL and eBay US.
    BrandonCarpenter
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    $300-600 based on recent eBay sales

A pirate chess set wouldn't surprise me entirely. They did one for the last pirate run and perhaps they found success with that.

It will be nice to get it if indeed it does come out and compare to the minifigures within the set itself and compare quality.

I saw an image for the pirate chess set. Doesn't look to be something of extreme value long term but certainly a nice army builder and for those (ahem) pirate completionists another set to pick up.
    AndorMordoor
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,702
    What is up with all the hairpieces instead of hats on the soldiers in the Pirates one? That looks terrible and greatly diminishes the army building value
    BACbrix
    So, @piratemania7 is now quoting himself?
    Andor
    I bought #G678 Knights Kingdom Chess Set back when it came out because I thought it was neat. I sold it a couple of years ago and bought the last Kingdoms Chess set. Lego Chess sets are niche sets, but they make great army builder sets and I imagine that is why most people buy them.
    Pitfall69 said:

So, @piratemania7 is now quoting himself?

Yes! It's "trending".
    AndorMordoor
    For you @Pitfall69...
    Andor
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755

$300-600 based on recent eBay sales

Thanks! It is easy to see what the few sellers on eBay are asking for this set, but harder to judge the condition of their sets and find selling info. My guess is that most of these used chess sets have crappy looking cases because of the flimsy construction of the case. And the contents can range from mint to serious wear or worse if kids handled them. I built the set then stored it away from our kids, so it has not been played with.
    I am in talks with one potential buyer at the moment and will not consider other offers until this person has made a decision.
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655

What is up with all the hairpieces instead of hats on the soldiers in the Pirates one? That looks terrible and greatly diminishes the army building value

Yeah! The soldier's fort has one soldier and one captain, but the female is not good army building and neither are a bunch of captains. We need more footsoldiers and regular uniforms instead of officers and captains everywhere.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    Just saw that the chess set has been added to the db: http://brickset.com/sets/40158-1/Pirates-Chess-Set. Looks like only the soldier king has a hat :(.
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Poochy said:

Just saw that the chess set has been added to the db: http://brickset.com/sets/40158-1/Pirates-Chess-Set. Looks like only the soldier king has a hat :(.

Ewww those dont look right. The pawns should have the infantry hats and the captain/lleader should have hair or parage hat.