Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Classic Space - valuation

I recently was given two Space sets and was trying to determine ballpark worth. I just dont feel like ebay really gives a good idea of actual worth.
- 6985: Cosmic Fleet Voyager - used, compelete, with box and instructions (box is a little worn, but includes plastic tray)
- 6984: Galactic Mediator - used, compelete, with box and instructions (box is a little worn, but includes plastic tray)
I was thinking of setting up a display with these 2, plus some others I have form that theme and pairing with Benny's Spaceship (thinking I have a good excuse to purchase one now).

As a side note, I came across an interesting varriety pack, and wasn't sure of its value.
- 1967: Five Set Bonus Pack

I appreciate any help, thanks.

Comments

• bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    For what it's worth, Bricklink Price Guide says that over the past 6 months, the average price these sets have sold for, used, are -
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=6985-1 ~$150US
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=6984-1 ~$110US

YMMV.
    WookiePajamas
  • WookiePajamasWookiePajamas Member Posts: 26
    Thanks! that’s a handy guide, been on bricklink many times and haven’t looked at that!
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I was always surprised that #6985 carried such a high price tag. That is one of the few sets I don;t have from my childhood collection and I always thought it was the least attractive of the large classic space ships.
    It's definitely clunky, but I would say she has charm.
    When I was a kid the exploriens sets were the cool space ones. One the plus side, if I pick those up, they really are not too expensive.
    madforLEGO
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    Here is the entry for that variety pack.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=1967-1
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited January 2015
    ^^^ and ^^ Before @Pitfall69 says it.. "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
    wagnerml2WookiePajamasobi_gbobabricks
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 624
    wagnerml2 said:

I was always surprised that #6985 carried such a high price tag. That is one of the few sets I don;t have from my childhood collection and I always thought it was the least attractive of the large classic space ships.

6985 was the only Classic Space ship that came close to having a realistic interior space. All the other big space ships were little more than a single seat (or two) with wings, hardly a "long exploration voyage" craft. The price of that design, in the CS scale, is a certain amount of clunki-ness (although some bigger wings would improve things quite a bit, that would have probably pushed the price point too high at the time...). 497 looks much better overall, for example, but there's no room in the Galaxy Explorer for the astronauts to do anything except sit down.

I'm all for using your imagination with Classic Space, but for 6985 it seems they had a go at a more realistic interior design that didn't quite pan out. No doubt that 10+ computer console and viewscreen printed pieces would have helped!
    madforLEGO
    I agree the interior space is great, definitely adds to the playability, and paved the way for great interior sets like the falcon (yeah yeah I know it's not perfect).
    @bobabricks - that's impressive, I just got it because I hadn't seen one before, not a bad value.
    bobabricks
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,435
    I think that #6985 not being 'desirable' for its price point when it came out is another reason why it is worth so much now, not a lot of copies around. And like others have said it has its charm. I think most classic space does.
  • BrunoagainBrunoagain Member Posts: 1
    Thanks, the interior space is great!