Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

76042 UCS Helicarrier

Comments

• mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237

but I guess we will see an Ant-Man in this scale later in the year as well.

Ant-Man will be a picofigure.

I'm not that fussed by this set. I realise it couldn't have been much larger within the constraints of the market but it just doesn't say WOW to me. (Or at least it certainly doesn't say £270 worth of WOW.)
  • EddieDoesntMindEddieDoesntMind Member Posts: 329
    You know, there was so much hype for this that I knew most people would be disappointed.
    yys4uminicoopers11
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I must be easy to please and/or low standards, because this Helicarrier still looks great to me. It's not perfect (light bley parts and no Coulson), but still 95% of the way to perfect for its scale. Use of nano figures is a new and brilliant idea. Plus I want to see what it looks like with PF engines and lights on, quite tempted to do that.
    epyon396johnhenzAdeelZubairchuckpLostInTranslationEddieDoesntMindcarlqandhe
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    No set could've lived up to the expectations that people seemingly had in their minds.
    Everyone is acting like it comes with hepatitis and Galidor figures.
    EddieDoesntMindpharmjodchuckpBrickarmormatticus_bricksGoldchainscarlqminicoopers11
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,159
    I don't think it's a bad set, I just don't know that it's worth $350 to me. I may have considered it at $300.

Considering the limitations they did a good job on it, but to me it's a $300 set, not $350.
    FollowsCloselytiminchicago
  • johnhenzjohnhenz Sunderland, EnglandMember Posts: 98
    Is there any chance that the shield agent in the upcoming ultimate spiderman set is Coulson?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,759
    aldredd said:

I think, actually, it's technically cheaper in the UK once you take VAT off. (I'm making the assumption the US price is ex sales tax?)

$350 = £230
    £230 + 20% VAT = £276, but RRP will be £270

can't really blame Lego for the VAT rate charged I guess.

I believe the UK rrp is £280.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^Based on the fuzzy preview pic, I would bet against it being Coulson in suit & tie and more of an 'action Shield agent' in flight suit. As the fig is piloting a very small dual motor drone type of hovercraft.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 828
    Oh my, this looks great! I wonder if there's any more interior other than what we've already seen. The mini figs aren't bad but I wish Lego had included Agent Coulson. I should be picking up this set as soon as I get the money :smile:
  • johnhenzjohnhenz Sunderland, EnglandMember Posts: 98
    I just can't get my head around why they haven't included a Coulson
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,563
    lordzarak said:
    I think that is a good point. He is pretty easy to do with existing parts. Sure he should probably be there, but a fairly boring figure (in terms of parts) much like Lex Luthor in a suit is.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,905
    I like it but need to see it In the flesh to decide if I will buy it.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,297
    As much as I am disappointed be a lack of Coulson, I am more disappointed by the lack of Bruce Banner. Hard to imagine another set he would come in apart from this one.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    Looking good
  • NinjaGaidenNinjaGaiden Member Posts: 6
    Not sure I like the microfigures. I understand the need for them, considering the scale of this set, but it feels like "cheating" to me. Rather than modify the vehicle to make it fit the minifigs, they modified the minifigs to fit the vehicle. Seems to go against the whole idea behind LEGO toys (for me at least). I hope this doesn't become a trend with large scale sets. Slippery slope.
    slyreptile
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,262
    ^ I wouldn't have thought twice about if if they had just left them out and the model was exactly the same. Not all of the UCS sets are (or can be) fig scale so I'm fine if they just include the regular figs without them actually going anywhere in the set. Like the Tumbler and others.
    Also just a thought on the figs included. Captain traded for Coulson would make the five they included make the most sense from being the SHIELD Helicarrier since then (at least from the movie standpoint) it would be 5 characters that were actually SHIELD agents to begin with.
    LostInTranslation
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,284
    I don't actually think the 'nanofigures' are in scale with the Helicarrier, so their inclusion seems pointless to me. They are a fun novelty, but not something I would like to see become a trend.
    pharmjodAdeelZubair
  • vadangvadang Member Posts: 47
    I like it, but I am not sure it is on must have list yet. I am indifferent about the microfigures, but I do like the stand they made up for the minifigs. I think at maybe around $300 I would be more likely to buy.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    aldredd said:

I think, actually, it's technically cheaper in the UK once you take VAT off. (I'm making the assumption the US price is ex sales tax?)

$350 = £230
    £230 + 20% VAT = £276, but RRP will be £270

can't really blame Lego for the VAT rate charged I guess.

The U.S. price is without sales tax, but in some places sales tax is 0%.

The cheapest place to buy this is Canada, where it is ~$314 USD.

Now that the U.S. dollar is very strong and the Canadian dollar and Euro are freefalling, LEGO is comparatively more expensive in the U.S. than almost ever before.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I am blown away by the microfigures. Have these every been done before?! For the helicarrier itself, it looked MASSIVE to me (GI JOE USS FLAGG massive), until I saw the designer video, and suddenly it looked small. Not saying it is, it was just a shock to me for some reason.

Very cool set though.
    Pitfall69andhe
  • cozycozy Member Posts: 147
    well my wallets happy,i think its rubbish.too ugly for words
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    Some opinions on here I can't agree with. We should rejoice that our favourite company makes such incredibly innovative sets!
    LostInTranslationAdeelZubaircarlqandhechuckp
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I was a little disappointed when I first saw the image, but after watching the video its growing one me a little. I have to admit I'm not a fan of all those studs, wished some tiles were used. And was hoping for one minifigure scale room on the interior, but I'm assuming the interior was hard to build to make it structurally sound. I'm ok with the minifigures, however I haven't taken a good look at the upcoming Age of Ultron figures, are these the same? Cause I really like the Captain America figure, but if he's the same as in the upcoming sets then that's a bit of a let down.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    edited January 2015
    For what they can do at a certain price point, I think it's very well done. It's not totally accurate, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone familiar with The Avengers who would be unable to say exactly what this is supposed to be. It does the job quite well.

How many licensed sets have we actually had that are 100% accurate to the IP they are based on? I find expectations are getting harder and harder to meet for retail release sets, since so many people compare what fans have created vs. what TLG can actually design and market at a price point that is profitable for them. MOCs often are not bound by the same cost considerations, especially the ones that actually get widely shared online.

Will I buy this? Probably not, but that's because the price is higher than I would want to spend...regardless of my feelings about its appearance. I have yet to actually buy any sets that cost more than $200. That's my personal upper limit on official LEGO sets, since I would rather put that money into my MOCs.
    andhe
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    richo said:

Some opinions on here I can't agree with. We should rejoice that our favourite company makes such incredibly innovative sets!

being one of the people who will not be getting this set, I'd like to just say that this set gives me a lot of hope for future UCS sets, it's clear that plenty of work, brainstorming and conceptualizing went into this set. however, all of that didn't end with a set that I am completely sold with. the underside is unfinished (and inaccurate as far as we can tell at this point) the plates used for virtually every surface leave a sleek airship lumpy and crude. I want very much to love this set but its not there, not at 350USD anyway. as I said previously i'll be looking for a used copy at some point likely without the minifigs (but probably still with the microfigs) to save myself some cash.

LEGO hit it out of the park (for me) with the UCS Slave I, this one was a double, better than average but not quite what I was hoping for.

I am blown away by the microfigures. Have these every been done before?! For the helicarrier itself, it looked MASSIVE to me (GI JOE USS FLAGG massive), until I saw the designer video, and suddenly it looked small. Not saying it is, it was just a shock to me for some reason.

Very cool set though.

The trophy figs have been done before in PotC.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,651
    edited January 2015
    Only LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Creator Expert sets get the realistic display value, other examples being The Dark Knight Tumbler and Batmobile. I was expecting something like the Super Star Destroyer but It looks like a playset over a 'display' model, I would rather get Parisian Restaurant and Detective's Office instead.
    LegoTT
  • EddieDoesntMindEddieDoesntMind Member Posts: 329
    Anyone know the color of Captain's hair?
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    I feel like they should have used ribbed hoses for the circles.

Anyone know the color of Captain's hair?

Looks like Medium Dark Flesh
    edited January 2015
    legomason said:

I feel like they should have used ribbed hoses for the circles.

So buy some and mod it.
    Adzbadboy said:

Only LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Creator Expert sets get the realistic display value, other examples being The Dark Knight Tumbler and Batmobile. I was expecting something like the Super Star Destroyer but It looks like a playset over a 'display' model, I would rather get Parisian Restaurant and Detective's Office instead.

Display vale is rather objective. I think this can be displayed, just like the SSD can, the Tumbler can, Ecto-1 can. They all have a similarity - a fairly detailed vehicle / ship and an appropriate set of mini figures, that can be displayed with or separately from the vehicle. They can all be played with too, to some extent. If the vehicle / ship can be displayed on its own and is recognizable, then I'd say it had realistic display value.

It wouldn't surprise me if everyone on here could come up with a minor tweak to change the model, be it tiles to get rid of the studs, mini figs, tubes, printed parts, etc. Yet for every one of those mods, there would be an alternative mod to the same section / part that someone else would prefer. But then the joy of Lego is that you can buy the base model and mod it as you like, subject to your own imagination, skill and budget, none of which need to be constrained as they are in a retail model.

If you prefer other sets such as PR and DO due to the different detailing, then the choice is clear - buy them instead.
    LostInTranslationAdeelZubairBumblepantsnicoyagomezpharmjodcarlqPitfall69chuckp
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,314
    Just seen this post over at Techcrunch:

"Yo-Sub Joo · 전북대학교 의과대학
    I'm the creator of Avengers Helicarrier on Lego Ideas.
    This Helicarrier set(set number 76042) is not related to my Lego Ideas Helicarrier. The Helicarrier that has achieved 10,000 support is now on review stage. "

So what's the chance of Lego producing a 20,000 piece model as well?

I'm guessing somewhere less than zero.
    Mojoest
  • JayEmJayEm United KingdomMember Posts: 62
    Regarding Coulson's absence, I've seen people elsewhere suggest that he could be in the Carnage Shield Sky Attack set- do those who saw that set at the Toy Fair think that's likely?
  • ChewybricksChewybricks Florida, U.S.Member Posts: 57
    Not big into microscale, but this looks fantastic. However, the exclusion of power functions at $350 makes chewy angry. Uarrrhhh
  • KleiovousKleiovous UKMember Posts: 95
    Bit of a mishmash of a set this, lots of curious features but none that really sell it to me. I would love to know how they sold the microfigure things to the powers that be at lego. I can't see a focus group of 12 year olds saying "You know what this set is missing, minifigures. But not normal mini figures, or even those mini - mini figures you guys do, what this needs is microscopic minifigures. You know, the sort that you can't see when they're from more than 3 feet away and disappear if you so much as breath on them. Yeah them. They'd be great." But evidently they also wanted some spinny things too, so who knows?
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,159
    I think if they had thrown the power functions in with it I could deal with the $350 price point.

Perhaps seeing it in store will change my mind. I don't mind the shape too much, but really feel like the studs should have been tiled. On the other hand, the Tumbler has studs showing and I love the way that set looks.

Basically, with power functions included I'd be willing to pay $350 for it I think. As it currently stands, to me, it's only a $300 set.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited January 2015
    I do not know why they must persist using the UCS tag on these sets, I know I am in the minority & probably living in the past, but I don't want figs and play features in my UCS sets. I would much prefer the money spent on enhancing the size and exterior detail.

As a large system looking play set it is nice. I know this type of set is more profitable for TLG but it is a shame that these sets are going to be produced more and more at the expense of what I traditionally see a UCS set as being.
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 675
    Does the boat really float?
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    I don't know. I spend my birthday out in the snow sledging and look what I go and miss! Just catching up now. As an AFOL, I would have preferred more display detail over play elements or the ability to motorise it, but as Lego is primarily a kids toy I can see what they've done it (but do many kids really get bought £300 Lego sets?).

I like the Cap figure printing, but for me I would have dropped Hawkeyes for Coulson, or better still just had him and Banner on top of the five we're getting.

And as I said above, I would be happy for the play and interiors to have been dropped and along with the micro/nano figs, but only if it had ment more minifigs, which for me is really my passion when it comes to SH.

That said I will still buy it, but no idea where I can display it. My ikea bookcase just can'nee take it! (Ooh wait wrong film ;-p).

Underlying all of this though is that i can't help feeling sorry for the person who put all tht effort into the ideas set only for TLG to release their own and give his no chance over ever being made.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,372
    So they are calling those microfigures, but that is not entirely true as microfigures are what comes with the Lego games sets right? These are those little trophy figures that have come with some many figures...nice though and very promising for antman
  • Vindic8edVindic8ed Member Posts: 163
    edited January 2015

A ship of that scale is hard to pull off in Lego form, for a reasonable price that is.

Once you see this, anything under 20K bricks looks like garbage.

The update he did with 6700 pieces still looks pretty amazing, IMO:
    https://ideas.lego.com/projects/63951/updates

When I saw the model TLG is releasing I was a little disappointed, however, I'll still be getting it. Some of the things, like the control room, are pretty cool, but I'm not a fan of the overall color scheme. I think more detail could have gone into the ship rather than wasting it on getting the turbines to actually move. I think the Ideas set ruined me though... :wink:
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405

Very cool set though.

Ahhhhhh. The G.I. Joe USS FLAGG. That was massive. My cousin had that. I was thinking about buying one just to make a FLAGG along with micro Skystrikers.

CircleKDougTemplar
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 858
    IMO, the coolest Lego set to date
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    I just want the minifigures :P
  • JahcursJahcurs Member Posts: 40
    Bit disappointed, can't quite put my finger on it but it just doesn't have that UCS look about it. No coulson is a mystery to me aswell.
    Vindic8ed
  • jasonj28jasonj28 Member Posts: 3
    This is just amazing!
    cheshirecat
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I think it's bad ass. I'm jealous of anyone who has enough space to display such a beauty. I would have to give up our only couch.