Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How Complete Is your 2010 Collection?

atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
edited December 2011 in Collecting
Ok, this is just a bit of fun. I was browsing my collection on Brickset and noticed that I'd procured 218 unique sets in 2010. I then saw that TLG released 482 sets in 2010, which makes my 2010 collection 45% complete. Not that I was aiming for a complete collection or anything, but I do love the odd stat here and there.

So, what's yours?

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    ^ probably about 1%....and that's being generous. :o)
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    The first step to working this out is ensure you are logging your sets religiously in Brickset of course.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    It's a great question. 45% seems impressive on that measure. You are beating me - I have 95 so a relatively paltry 20%.

Your denominator is interesting - I presume it includes:
    gear - 110 units (of which I have none - alright, I do own a minifigure ice cube tray)
    sets that weren't "for sale" (eg the Christmas staff handout, the MMMBs, etc)
    duplo - 32 units (ok, so it is lego, but not primarily AFOL market - although I see have bought three for my little boy)
    plus a few other interesting categories

So against a narrower measure, I might have about a third, but individual CMFs clearly bump this up. I seem to have more 2011 stuff but possibly higher proportions of sets issued in earlier years.
    edited December 2011
    I kept it pretty simple, used my sets owned count for 2011 and then Browse -> Sets Released In [2010] (http://www.brickset.com/browse/). So, yes, it will include all gear/tat, books, CMFs etc.

I thought 45% was pretty high and I was a little surprised, but I'm 99.999% certain someone will beat that figure by a country mile...
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I have 84 unique sets which were released in 2010, but then I dont 'do' Starwars or space.
    I have nothing in my wish list from 2010, which makes my collection 100% complete based on my personal measure of completeness :)
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    Mine's a measly 2%, with most, if not all sets, belonging to the City series. Still, you've got quite a collection there atkinsar!
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    You've set yourself a standard now Andy, got to keep it up in 2012 !? :P
    My vital statistics are not worth mentioning...
    I can guarantee you that 2011 will be less, and 2012 will be positively barren. The cost of putting two children in nursery, wowzer, it's enough to make a grown man weep.
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    57 sets for me, so 26%. It will always be special to me as the year I started collecting!! ;))))
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Nooooo..... not a math problem!!! I hate math problems!! :oP

Oh well, here is a current breakdown of my entire collection by year...

2011 = 22%
    2010 = 16%
    2009 = 11%
    2008 = 5%
    2007 = 1.5%
    2006 = 1.5%
    2005 = .8%
    2004 = .2%
    2003 = 1.5%
    2002 = 2%
    2001 = 7%
    2000 = 3.9%
    1999 = 3.9%
    1998 = 2%
    1997 = 1.7%
    1996 = .5%
    1993 = .7%
    1992 = 8%
    1991 = 1.5%
    1990 = 2.7%
    1989 = .7%
    Had to go one step further didn't you ;o)
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Sure, you piqued my interest & I just had to figure out all the years... ;0P
    Might have a go myself later.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    It would be interesting to see what is your completion rate by part count. The equation:

Sum of number of parts in each of the unique sets owned by you / sum of the number of parts in each of the available sets from 2010

It would be like percentage owned by volume!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,659
    218 unique sets is pretty good going given all the tat in the 2010 database....

Even accounting for the sets I haven't added to the database yet I have less than 200, so looks like Andy is in the lead at the moment.....
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I had just started thinking about this topic, so interesting to see the thread. I tend to fall on the side of buying 6 copies of a set I love, and nothing else. With so many sets, and so little room to store them, i have to be selective.

But if I happen to move into a house next year that has a sizable attic or basement, then all bets are off! :)

Also: I would LOVE to see photos of how everyone displays/stores their sets.
    -Dan
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,923
    Maybe Brickset should calculate these figures for you, with and without tat. Another one for the new year!
    ^ That would be neat. A ranking page would be cool too.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited December 2011
    A ranking page would be cool too.
    maybe ... as long as there is the option to opt out.
    ^ Of course. Although for the people that opt out they should be included in the ranking with the username obscured, like so *************
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I'd rather have nothing to do with p*ss*ng contests ... I'd be tempted to remove my collection from Brickset if that was to happen. I have no problem if other people want to take part, but it would be my choice not to be part of it.
    ^ Yes of course. How about just a ranking of the total number of sets without usernames? I'm just curious about the numbers. I don't care who it is.
    As I stated in my original post, just a bit of fun. I love the odd stat or two and if Brickset had more of them for personal consumption then great, if not then no problem, I'll continue to amuse myself by making up my own every now and then. I'm not really interested in seeing a ranking either.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    We have mentioned this in the past. I think it would be cool to have a distribution graph of collection size for information purposes. I'm very curious to know what the mean and median collection sizes are, as well as what the shape of the graph might be. This could be completely anonymous, of course, but I'm in support of either having to opt in to share this data or opt out.
    I don't see the harm in using anyone's data without their permission if it is in an aggregate non-personally identifiable form. For instance, the Census Bureau has loads of very personal information that most people don't want released to the public, yet it releases data products based on that information that do not reveal information about individuals.

That said, considering how squeamish some people are about people perhaps potentially finding out about the size of their collections, I agree that avoiding any sort of published statistics is a good idea. Despite how curious we may be to know these little tidbits about the Brickset population.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    What @atkinsar fails to admit is that 108 of his sets are actually gear. :o)

As for metrics, I am with @bluemoose and could care less about individual collections. What I would like to see is the distribution of owned sets which could help show us popularity of sets by year as well as year over year.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,021
    I currently have 216 unique. Also, have 16 sets on my want list.
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    I have 100% of the sets of the sets that I wanted in 2010 - does that count?
    edited December 2011
    What @atkinsar fails to admit is that 108 of his sets are actually gear. :o)
    Ahem... ;-)
    I kept it pretty simple, used my sets owned count for 2011 and then Browse -> Sets Released In [2010] (http://www.brickset.com/browse/). So, yes, it will include all gear/tat, books, CMFs etc.
    Although spot the mistake in my own quote where I said 2011, meant 2010 of course....and it's 43 pieces of tat not 108, but I really need all those key rings ;-)

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited December 2011
    Id have no problem with the ranking, nor do I see it as a competition - what I do find interesting is how different everybody is, I find it really interesting that some people are completionists who'll want everything from this point forward, some people aspire to the whole of a range e.g. star wars, whereas others are happy to just get the few sets they want, and others will want relatively few sets but buy lots of multiples. Its probably because of my job, but I'm intrigued by the different behaviours and goals people have, and the stats are an insight into this.

Maybe I should go and work for customer insight at Lego :)

I also think it would give casual users of the site an insight into just how many serious collectors are on here, and quite how serious they are, which would be no bad thing I think. There's nothing else on brickset which currently does this.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    What I would like to see is the distribution of owned sets which could help show us popularity of sets by year as well as year over year.
    Great idea would also like to see this happen.
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    Oh! I like this thread, since I'm hooked on statistics :) And I also like yellowcastles idea about stats on distribution of owned sets.

As for myself, I have 25 sets from 2010 and want 2. Good enough for me!