Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10246 Detective Agency

Comments

• LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    ^ @bourgeoispig‌ ... that left me laughing.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Has anyone confirmed that this set is missing any specific pieces and have you called CS and received replacement parts?
  • nicholsnichols Member Posts: 6
    LegoTT said:

Genesis said:

Poisso3 said:

Just started the build and found that I am missing one of the 2X2 smooth dark gray tiles.

Anyone else have missing pieces with this set?

I just started my build (just finished the first floor) and am missing a 1x1 light blue block that is used to make the Al's sign above the windows. I actually received the 1x1, but in the dark blue color used in the rest of the building. I've never had a missing piece before, so I took everything apart to be sure I hadn't just used the wrong color blue elsewhere... I had not. Just put the request in online to get the proper piece.
    Same boat here. I just joined to find out what to do in this case and came across others missing the exact piece I am missing. 1x1 light blue. I also redid Al's thinking I switched a dark blue for light blue but in the end they indeed gave me an extra dark blue 1x1 and 1 less light blue 1x1.
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    41B4 here. I triple checked and I definitely got a dark blue instead of a light blue 1x1...I requested the light blue piece a couple of weeks ago.

I just stuck the dark blue brick behind the scissors for now.
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    Update!! Can you tell this is my first large Lego set in over 15 years?

The light blue piece was hidden from view and accidentally used in step 28. Wasn't hard to replace after I dismantled 2/3 of the first floor. All is well!

Pitfall69LegoKip
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,111
    LegoTT said:

Update!! Can you tell this is my first large Lego set in over 15 years?

The light blue piece was hidden from view and accidentally used in step 28. Wasn't hard to replace after I dismantled 2/3 of the first floor. All is well!

I think this is what is going on with others, accidentally putting pieces into other areas of the build. What really is maddening is having to try to find out where you flubbed and then go back dismantle the set to get that piece back. It is akin to watching a movie, going to pause and instead hit stop where it takes you back to the beginning and then having to watch it over again or at least go through a bit of what you watched to get back to your point.
    IMO LEGO made the instructions a lot more difficult to determine what color goes where with some of the shading (at least in the recent past) in the books. Also part of the issue is the many different shades LEGO is using lately.
    I hate to say it but I miss the days where there was only 2 shades of gray (old or new) vs the different shades or blue, red, green, yellow, brown etc etc.
    The new shades and colors are great of detail, but a bit poor IMO when it comes to distinguishing them from one another in the instructions book.
    BombTec
    bsiu922 said:

I just finished the First Level on Sat, but there is no missing bricks for me do you mean those two 1x1 on Step 55?

there are two hidden darker Blue one in Step 28 and Step 34! i built it around mid night, so i really look at the Step 28 since it used a 1x2 plate in light blue and 1x1 brick in Dark blue

Son of @#$%&!!!! Thank you and I apologize to Lego and the community. I put the wrong piece there twice!! Here it is, the "missing" light blue 1x1. No missing pieces so far now.
    LegoboyPitfall69
  • jeremy1973jeremy1973 Member Posts: 50
    nichols said:

Me too.
    Y'all are going to make me open and build this DO to make sure everything is there! Then I'll think everyone is bananas and just misapplied their bricks. :blush:
    Pitfall69LegoKip
    I got $5 says everything is there. I just wasn't paying attention, twice!
    Pitfall69TK2012WSW
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    We're on bag 4 and no missing parts yet.
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    I ended up finding bricks too
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,686
    edited January 2015
    The Detective's Office was inspired by a cartoony design, it's very similar to the ones we see here: roof with Bionicle details, dark orange coloured bricks on second floor and so on. It's a shame we don't see different piping details in modular buildings that often.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,058
    I think you may be reading a bit too much into this...
    Pitfall69
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    glad my information is useful for people
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    ^^^It's more that the DA is inspired by a whole genre of film, TV, cartoon, etc, which is a stylised representation of a period of American history, one example of which is that comic.
    dannyrww said:

We're on bag 4 and no missing parts yet.

Can you keep us updated? Thanks.
    LegoKip
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    Made it through the entire set and nothing was missing.
    Pitfall69MrJ_NYLegoKip
    dannyrww said:

Made it through the entire set and nothing was missing.

Thought so. Thanks!
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    So is this set starting to become like the FB fiasco a couple years back with missing parts and what not?
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    I bought a mirror off BrickLink the first day the inventory and catalog for the piece was released and I got it in the mail today along with the wanted poster. The mirror is interesting and I'm hoping to find a use for it. I'm starting to wonder if a chromed piece of foam is really worth $6 though. :/ I just ordered more parts from the DO including a pile of those white 2x2 round jumpers and I also got 2 of the windsceens from #75060
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    I've just started building the Detective Agency and immediately noticed something that I don't believe anyone else has mentioned yet - the big fat instruction book. Instead of 3 separate books, a la the other modulars, this is one book with a thick spine. I'm not too crazy about it; I think it might fall apart quickly. You can't spread the pages flat, which means I'm left weighing it down with something heavy (currently, a stapler). Has anyone else got an opinion on this?
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    edited January 2015
    dejavu said:

I've just started building the Detective Agency and immediately noticed something that I don't believe anyone else has mentioned yet - the big fat instruction book. Instead of 3 separate books, a la the other modulars, this is one book with a thick spine. I'm not too crazy about it; I think it might fall apart quickly. You can't spread the pages flat, which means I'm left weighing it down with something heavy (currently, a stapler). Has anyone else got an opinion on this?

Agreed. It does look nice, and seems to be made well so I don't necessarily think it will fall apart but for practicality reasons I am not a fan. I too had to either weigh it down or hold it with one hand while building/searching with the other.

• MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    Has anyone else noticed the minifigure who owns the Flower Cart is identical to the window washer from Grand Emporium,except one has a hardhat.I think they are in cahoots with the cookie smuggling ring.
    Also Anthony (Carlos Danger) Weiner keeps hanging around TH looking for a job.That building needs a security guard.
    :wink:
    dejavu
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,058
    It's a pretty common torso - crops up everywhere.
    MrJ_NY
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    dejavu said:

I never use the instructions to put my sets together. I just download the .pdf's of the instructions and put my sets together. It takes a little longer, but my instructions stay mint.

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829
    Lol, and to think you think your 'sticker friend' is mad. Lol.
    ^I don't need to have 5 instruction booklets for licensed sets and 10 for non licensed sets though.
    cheshirecat
    So after finding that light blue piece that I stuck in the wrong place, anyone missing the dark grey 1x2 that it used from bag 4 step 35? I had 4 left when I got to that step not 5. I do have a dark grey 1x3 that will end up being extra but can't figure out where I might have made the mistake this time.
  • crosseyedpiratecrosseyedpirate Member Posts: 44
    ^ I made a similar mistake with dark grey vs light grey - the cookie sheet in the kitchen is supposed to be light grey and I had used dark grey

I did end up with a black 1x8 that I still have no idea where to put though...
    I got the cookie sheet right. I am meaning the 1x2 block that you are suppose to use 6 of in step 35 bag 4. I finished it all and still had the 1x3 dark grey leftover. Where did I mistake the two?
  • pagerdpagerd Member Posts: 2

I did end up with a black 1x8 that I still have no idea where to put though...

The only black 1x8 in the set is used on page 116 for the fire escape ladder.

• crosseyedpiratecrosseyedpirate Member Posts: 44
    ^ Thanks!
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    All these issues with putting this set together. Maybe LEGO should have made a supplementary instruction book to explain to everybody how to do the hard steps and not just limit the hand holding to the page for the mirror.

BTW, I got this set along with the flower cart today at Downtown Disney so they still have the flower carts in stock. Now, I just hope I'm not "missing" any pieces.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    For those that have put this together, does the brown baseplate show anywhere other than the back untiled portion? The bases I build for my modulars use the included baseplate for the bottom piece of a platform and the modular itself is built on 16x16 plates and just wondering if I should change it so that I use some brown anywhere instead of the dark gray I usually use. If it is just the back then gray it will be.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    ^ Nope. The only brown baseplate you see is in the back untiled portion.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ Thanks.
    On bag(s) #4. No missing parts so far.
  • juddtaylorjuddtaylor Member Posts: 27
    I built the whole thing a while back. I was missing a dark grey 1x2 plate. There were no extra 1x2 plates of any kind, so I'm pretty sure it was not used somewhere else. I replaced it with an extra dark grey 1x2 tile I had laying around.
    In my whole life if building Lego, I have never seen a set with so many different missing pieces. I can understand if it were the same piece, but this is extraordinary!
    MrJ_NY
    Has anyone messed around with the name "AL" and spelling something different?
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 838
    Pitfall69 said:

Has anyone messed around with the name "AL" and spelling something different?

Change it to 'LA' and make it a music shop?
    Pitfall69
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    edited February 2015
    L.A. = Lego Anonymous...hello my name is (____) & I'm a Legoholic :smiley:
    dannyrwwPitfall69T_LarsJern92ModelMama
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Pitfall69 said:

In my whole life if building Lego, I have never seen a set with so many different missing pieces. I can understand if it were the same piece, but this is extraordinary!

So wait, in 2.5 hours we went from "all's well" to "holy crap?"
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Pitfall

What are the codes on the seals. I assume they are R.

Pitfall69 said:

So wait, in 2.5 hours we went from "all's well" to "holy crap?"

Pitfall

What are the codes on the seals. I assume they are R.

I'm sorry. I was just rereading previous comments in the thread and just made a random comment based on people finding missing pieces in their set.

ALL IS WELL. NO MISSING PARTS!!!

• ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    LegoTT said:

41B4 here. I triple checked and I definitely got a dark blue instead of a light blue 1x1...I requested the light blue piece a couple of weeks ago.

I just stuck the dark blue brick behind the scissors for now.

That is exactly what we did, too....well, except for the request part.
    MrJ_NY said:

L.A. = Lego Anonymous...hello my name is (____) & I'm a Legoholic :smiley:

You could put one lawnmower, a few tools and a grill and call it "LO's" ;)

MrJ_NYdejavu