Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How to de-hoard

2»

Comments

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,986
    margot said:

Guys, I did the Fairy Bricks drop off at my local children's hospital. I know about donations. It getting beat to death here.

You asked, so folks answered. If you wanted suggestions other than donations, then It would have made sense to specify. Most people do not keep track of who does fairy bricks.

Considering this is a Lego board, though, and there is a ton of discussion about reselling and bricklinking, my presumption was that those were options you would have been more than well aware of and would not need to have repeated...While some donation options, such as school usage, are simply not covered on the board anywhere near the degree reselling is. This is probably why, though, you are getting more donation suggestions.

I guess I am confused. What are you looking for?

There is reselling and donation. Beyond that.. Returning? Gifting? Play with?
    Resell sets... Ebay, Craigslist, garage sale, Amazon
    Resell pieces... Bricklink
    Donate... Hospitals, libraries, schools, toys for tots, etc.
    Gift to family members.
    Return recent purchases to the store.
    Open up all the boxes and start MOCing.

• snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,058
    @‌ AndyPol It wasn't your suggestion specifically I was reacting too, I actually liked your story and think that was a great thing to do. Giving away is defintely an option but it just felt like most of the suggestions kept going that way and it just felt like it was becoming a guilt-trip. But maybe that says more about me :-S

But of course, I respect your opinion and that of anybody else, just as I hope you understand I did not mean offense and was trying to communicate my feelings after reading the thread. :-)
    margot
    * I suspect most were not trying to guilt trip. I just suspect what I said.. I didn't even think to give any other suggestions besides donation options, because this board already has some great threads related to reselling, so if looking to resell, I guess I would have presumed a far more direct question n that.

I just don't know if there really are that many options beyond various types of reselling and various types of donation. MOC, but that is still keeping the bricks and not de-hoarding.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,027
    @margot‌ Can look after herself well enough (not that she should have to) but I'll just say she is an extremely generous member here with both sets, money and time. That is speaking from a personal perspective and a Fairy Bricks Administrator one. I know for a fact that won't be changing.

First step to de hoarding is to actually stop buying. That isn't easy as the thrill of the chase is a hobby in itself.

Next evaluate the sets. Will they ever be opened? Is pleasure gained from pure ownership? If the answer to those questions is no then create the get rid list. Is selling sets at a LEGO event an option? Profit isn't a primary aim here so maybe a stand where you could price things very competitive level, shift lots in a day and keep families and kids happy as they wouldn't have to play inflated prices.
    LegoKipCircleKmargotPitfall69LostInTranslation
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 818
    Yes...first step is to stop buying. I collect the DC line for the mini digs and after buying all of the new wave I came to the realization that I might need to just buy the figs on BL in the future.

Write a list of what you are willing to part with. Bring them to a LUG meeting and pass them on there at your cost or near cost. Odds are your LUG will appreciate getting discontinued sets at less than retail.

Not a member of a LUG? Join one or contact the nearest one to offer your sets at a discount and you might get takers. Also-you might end up joining the LUG which will help AND hinder your ability to cut back on LEGO.

Go to the LAN website to check for the nearest LUG if you aren't a member or aware of what the nearest LUG is.
    https://lan.lego.com/lugs

Good luck!
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 947
    I think that is the harder part. Which sets/figures/pieces do I want to get rid of? Which sets/etc can I live without?

I have a lot of extra LEGO sitting around, most of which were sets that I bought ONLY for the figures, and the set just sits there in the box. Yes, I could MOC with some of the pieces, then I have a lot leftover that I may never use. Next step is Bricklink. But I really don't have the time to build LEGO, let alone run a store and sort pieces individually. I think that would take all of the fun out of the hobby.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    A suggestion to donate is fine the first time. After that it is neither original or helpful. Variations on a donating theme also count in regards to not being helpful. The stop buying is one of the most useful things posted so far as it is truly the hardest thing to do :)
    Thanos75margotLegoKipBumblepants
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    This is how I de-hoarded. I sold off a huge chunk of my collection in 2013, due to a move. A single-buyer bought everything shown in this image.

It felt great to pair things down to what I am truly COLLECTING instead of hoarding.
    I wrote a bit about my own de-hoarding here:
    http://brickupdate.com/letting-go-of-some-lego/
    and here:
    http://brickupdate.com/collecting-vs-hoarding-lego/
    snowhitiemargotmonkey
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,058
    edited January 2015
    @brickupdate thanks for this link, I found it very interesting to read your pay about the difference between hoarding and collecting. It is good advice to keep in mind as a starter - collector! Next time I see a deal I'll think a bit harder of I really want it or not!
    And thanks @Margot for starting the discussion, might be just in time to help me refrain from over -buying and evaluate which sets I really really want (and can afford and display).
    brickupdatemargot
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    I recently decided to get rid of my beloved Classic Pirate collection. Selling the first set was hard, but after that, it gets easier. I have given a lot of loose Lego and other sets to people that aren't that well off. I have now instituted a "Collection Model". I now only buy within the constraints of the model. No more. No less. This keeps me from buying too much. This and constantly pairing down has gotten my hoarding under control. I know it is hard because we all want to buy everything, but this process truly works :)
    brickupdateRenegade007cjhpharmjod
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    edited January 2015
    @Pitfall69‌ I'd be interested to know the details of your Collection Model if you don't mind sharing. I realize parameters may be personal, but any strategy I can use to avoiding pitfa... um, that is to keep my house from bursting at the seams would be helpful.

My son's Plan B: "We'll use Lego bricks to build an addition to the house! Then we'll have space for more Lego without getting rid of Lego."
    ;)
    LostInTranslationbrickupdateRainstorm26plasmodiumGalactus
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,397
    edited January 2015
    Personally, I wouldn't stop buying. Not if what I was buying fit in with the new collecting parameters. It will lead to future regret if you miss something.

So long as you are getting rid of more than you are buying, then you are de-hoarding. Otherwise you'll sell it all and probably blow out again later. Do it in a controlled way and buy for good prices as you de-hoard.

Of course, trading for things that fit the collection is a good way of doing it. You get what you want and de-hoard with no fees.
  • busumoe1busumoe1 Member Posts: 194
    edited January 2015
    [start with apologies: short on time, can't read all the details above...]

I have a "maze" in my spare bedroom that is almost completely made out of Really Useful Boxes. I have towers of 64L, 32L and 19L boxes, stacked over six feet high each. There is just enough room to navigate among the towers to get to the Legos that I need.

PRO:
    - Efficient use of space
    - Since the boxes are see-through, it's easy (well, relatively) to find what I am looking for.
    - lots and lots of arms and back exercise when you try to get to the bottom of the tower... wait that could be a CON...

CON:
    - RUBs are expensive, but I usually buy them like I do with Lego, at least 40-60% off.
    - Kids sometimes think it's a play area. And I do sometimes wonder if my wife will find me crush by a falling RUB full Legos...

[The last statement is in jest, of course... I wear a hard-hat for safety...]

No... none of the above solves the addiction problem, but for each new RUB I buy, I have another tower to build...
    LegoKip
    pharmjod said:

A suggestion to donate is fine the first time. After that it is neither original or helpful. Variations on a donating theme also count in regards to not being helpful. The stop buying is one of the most useful things posted so far as it is truly the hardest thing to do :)

While it may be useful, It also does not actually answer the question asked... The question was how to seriously cull a collection. Stop buying is great advice to help prevent the issue from continuing, but not on how to cull a collection.
    Beyond variations of donating and selling, what original suggestions are there really that address culling a collection? Throwing away? Of course folks are going to focus on variations of those two main themes.
    AndyPol
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,308
    The variations on selling are helpful and appreciated by me, and what I was looking for. As is the suggestion to stop buying.
    brickupdate
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step.....lol. We can start a LEGO support group.
    margotLegoKippharmjod
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,308
    ^But you know some people would sneak in who were looking to add to their collection...
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    LegoKip said:

@Pitfall69‌ I'd be interested to know the details of your Collection Model if you don't mind sharing. I realize parameters may be personal, but any strategy I can use to avoiding pitfa... um, that is to keep my house from bursting at the seams would be helpful.

My son's Plan B: "We'll use Lego bricks to build an addition to the house! Then we'll have space for more Lego without getting rid of Lego."
    ;)

Ahhhhhh the "Collection Model". It all started with Star Wars Action Figures. When they released the Power of the Force 2 in 1995 I had to have EVERYTHING. I also collected all the Micro Machines and what not. I realized that I couldn't keep up with everything and started to give away a lot of my Action Figures as gifts to my nephew as well as others. I decided that I was only going to collect Cantina Denizens and that's it. I'm currently going through more stuff as we speak.

Recently, I have been going through the same thing with Lego. I decided to only collect Star Wars OT, Trains, Modular Buildings, Superheroes, Lego Ideas and Exclusives. I will only buy multiples of Modular Buildings. This model is only for my collection. Anything I buy for resale has no bearing on my model. I placed a personal restriction on my purchase habits and it is working out for me. In fact, I find it quite enjoyable to try to keep myself within the parameters of my model. It has saved me a ton of money. This doesn't make me any less of a collector; it has made me a sensible one :)

margotLegoKipEKSam
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099

This is how I de-hoarded. I sold off a huge chunk of my collection in 2013, due to a move. A single-buyer bought everything shown in this image.

Wow, you got rid of your Futuron monorail. I sold mine but then regretted it and bought another. I personally love the old Lego sets from the 80's. It was a simpler time for Lego and probably for the better.

I'm burnt out on a lot of current themes like Star Wars and even The Lego Movie. I don't even get a thrill out of going into a Lego Store anymore. Lego has become too popular and too much of my life. I love other things like music, art, architecture and classic films (pre 90's for me). I've found that I spent too much money and time on Lego over the past few years and that is my main reason to de-hoarde and push it back.
    margotbrickupdatechuckpLegoKipBrickDancer
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
    Pitfall69 said:

I recently decided to get rid of my beloved Classic Pirate collection. Selling the first set was hard, but after that, it gets easier. I have given a lot of loose Lego and other sets to people that aren't that well off. I have now instituted a "Collection Model". I now only buy within the constraints of the model. No more. No less. This keeps me from buying too much. This and constantly pairing down has gotten my hoarding under control. I know it is hard because we all want to buy everything, but this process truly works :)

Wow wow wowwwww who have you been selling this collection too? "Get rid" of sounds so awful.
    Pitfall69
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    @mathew Yep, the monorail fell into that category of "really cool," but wouldn't work in the space set for my collection. Like you, I have had to establish limits so that I CAN get excited about the hobby, which I would say I have done successfully. LOVE going to the LEGO Store, and putting limits on my collection has helped me focus more on BUILDING and ENJOYING, than BUYING BUYING BUYING (and trying to store them)
    LegoKip
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099

@mathew Yep, the monorail fell into that category of "really cool," but wouldn't work in the space set for my collection. Like you, I have had to establish limits so that I CAN get excited about the hobby, which I would say I have done successfully. LOVE going to the LEGO Store, and putting limits on my collection has helped me focus more on BUILDING and ENJOYING, than BUYING BUYING BUYING (and trying to store them)

Eventually....and I mean someday in the near-far future after we finish our basement...I want to set up a Lego moon base (or other alien world) setup on a train table. I'm a 'retro-futurist', space age nerd and the classic space sets really appeal to me in that regard.

Lego Stores are like Apple Stores. They used to be cool before they were cool. You walk in and they are packed with people. Apple used to be about 'Thinking Different' and about creativity. And now it's hipsters and yuppies with their iDevices hogging up floor space. With Lego, it's just kind of lame with all of the overpriced, licensed sets. And the resellers. I mean, yes, I kind of enjoy it still, but it doesn't seem real or cool anymore.
    bendybadgerCCC
  • busumoe1busumoe1 Member Posts: 194
    mathew said:

I kind of enjoy it still, but it doesn't seem real or cool anymore.

Among my co-workers and even to some members of my family, I'm considered the adult-kid that likes Legos. So to me, it's never been a trendy hobby to begin with. I don't like "The Lego Movie effect" not because it makes Lego more hip to the masses, but rather it's harder for me to get good deals.

Lego to me is much less a brand (like Apple) and more about the great range of quality bricks that provide enthusiasts the tools to exercise their creativity.

I am usually far more impressed with MOCs than what's packaged in a box at the retail stores. I think it's great that Lego sells lots of licensed products and I hope the company makes lots of money on that. As long as they are awash with money, I am hoping that they will continue to fund innovations. The new bricks in the recent years are great!

Anyways, I admit that I do hoard but for me it is for the parts. I would have more space if I end up breaking down all the boxes. However, like others have mentioned, in a pinch, if I have to sell or give gifts, it's best that they are mint.

If it has not been mentioned before, my current "solution" to Lego hoarding is to clear out all other stuff to make room. I should have dumped my old DVDs and Laserdiscs collection YEARS ago...

• CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Defining strict collection parameters is a must, but I've never been able to do it by theme. Whenever I draw that line in the sand and I say "I only collect Superheroes and Modulars" for example then something else comes along that blows it out of the water, like the upcoming Pirates rehash or Scooby-Doo.

For me, a monetary limit (aka the dreaded budget) is much better way of keeping myself in bounds. It allows me to dabble in as many themes as I want while forcing me to be much more selective at the same time. It's not glamorous and could potentially cause me to miss out on sets I like, but that is the point. I simply can't have everything I want when I want so much.

I also keep close track of my Lego spending and review it monthly. That alone will cause me to take pause sometimes. It has a way of adding up faster than I often realize.
    LegoKip
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,770
    Pitfall69 said:

I decided to only collect Star Wars OT, Trains, Modular Buildings, Superheroes, Lego Ideas and Exclusives.

Does this mean you collect everything in those themes, or just what you like from those themes?