New "Classic" boxes

EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 114
Hello

I use Lego in my job and the "basic bricks deluxe" box 6177 was pretty much ideal for my needs (I own several).

But, now Lego have replaced the previous range of brick boxes with the new "Classic" range (10692 - 10698). They include basic bricks but also decorative pieces (flowers etc). They also seem to be considerably poorer value than the previous range of boxes! For example 6177: 650 pieces £20.99, 10696: 484 pieces £24.99! It also includes a lot of tiny pieces (cheese slopes etc) but what I need is building bricks.

Apart from Ebay etc, what is the best value source of basic bricks?

Comments

• JoanneVanNessJoanneVanNess Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading a lot of good reviews about brictek on Amazon. They specifically mentioned that the big bucket has more bigger pieces. Made in Canada. I have a set on order. What do you use Lego for in your job?
  • JoanneVanNessJoanneVanNess Member Posts: 3
    Oh, didn't read your comment fully, you are in the UK. I still suggest thinking about clones. I have heard that brictek, (Canada) Oxford blocks (South Korea) and Sluban (China) are pretty good.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    ^Blasphemy!!!!
    BumblepantsPaperballparkAndoromniumgmonkey76CymbelineKungFuKennyFowlerBricks
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,062
    Oh boy this isn't going to be good...
    krklint
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    Someone has accidentally tripped over a pile Mega Bloks and fell into this forum.
    CircleKBuriedinBrickskrklintAndorDeMontesFowlerBricks
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    edited January 2015

Oh, didn't read your comment fully, you are in the UK. I still suggest thinking about clones. I have heard that brictek, (Canada) Oxford blocks (South Korea) and Sluban (China) are pretty good.

Well, uh...if clones are really what floats your boat...but remember we are on Brickset, the Lego forum, where discussion of clones is discouraged. And this isn't just out of snobbery. Not only are they lower quality, but clones are usually shamelessly ripping off Lego's intellectual property.
    beemoAndor
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,796
    edited January 2015
    EvilTwin said:

They also seem to be considerably poorer value than the previous range of boxes! For example 6177: 650 pieces £20.99, 10696: 484 pieces £24.99! It also includes a lot of tiny pieces (cheese slopes etc) but what I need is building bricks.

When discussing prices of those sets, you have to bear in mind that one is from 2008 and one is from 2015.

Also #10696 is not actually a basic bricks box, it is a Creative Brick Box. Many kids (and AFOLs) like to get the small creative parts such as cheese slopes, eyes, wheels, etc. From the number of creative boxes they are bringing out, I guess we can assume that creative boxes sell better than basic boxes.

If you want basic bricks, try bricklink, or the PAB wall in a lego store.
    beemoPaperballpark
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,449
    Lots of 2x4's on the PAB walls. Too many, some would say...
    BumblepantsKungFuKenny
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    Too many 2x4 bricks on the PAB walls, I always say. That might prove useful to you though.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 616
    EvilTwin said:

Apart from Ebay etc, what is the best value source of basic bricks?

Best value currently is #10682 creative suitcase, 1000 pcs, $47.98 on [email protected] Backordered, but still orderable.

Best option for brick only (no small parts) is Lego Education #4579793, 884 pcs $54.95 on Amazon, but frequently available from Amazon warehouse for +/-$48. Comes in a brown cardboard box that gets easily smashed, so they get lots of returns.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,468
    Ok, sorry for the resurrection, but this seemed related to my question. 
    Why does the #10692 creative box come with a plastic storage brick top, but the bottom is just a cardboard box? I have to admit that in my rush to grab a bunch because they were $7, I didn’t notice until I got home. It just seems a waste to bother with the plastic top.
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 767
    edited July 30
    Too many 2x4 bricks on the PAB walls, I always say. That might prove useful to you though.
    Not enough 2x4 bricks on the PAB wall, I always say.... Well, grey ones, anyway :-)
    Good lord, I just realised I've been duped into a zombie thread!

andhe
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 523
    omnium said:

Good lord, I just realised I've been duped into a zombie thread!

Same here...but I decided to reply anyway to point out that JoanneVanNess totally joined the forum just to push the clone brand agenda. Clone brand trolls and infiltrators: they're real!
  • EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 114
    edited July 31
    Very proud to see one of my few threads being made into a zombie

Anyway @Astrobricks I don't know the answer to the question but I will take this opportunity to mention that in the end for my purposes I bought a bunch of #10698 boxes and mixed in a few tubs of pick-a-brick 2x4s etc which gave a good mix of standard and non-standard bricks. The box #10698 comes in is all plastic and is more than big enough to hold its original contents plus a load of extra bricks.