Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How do you display minifigs?

Comments

• DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 858
    @NickF22‌ those shelves are from The Container Store. I thought about the Ikea Detolf, but if I get that I will use it for something else. Maybe some of my super heroes Lego stuff.
  • chrobledesignschrobledesigns Member Posts: 3
    My kids had the same problem (and I had a few loose figs on my desk) so I thought of a solution, then perfected it over a year to sell to Lego lovers with the same problem! Handmade shelves and stands, made to order out of gorgeous solid walnut with embedded Lego blocks. Made in Oregon USA, worldwide shipping. Please check them out! Chroble.com
    margot
    My kids had the same problem (and I had a few loose figs on my desk) so I thought of a solution, then perfected it over a year to sell to Lego lovers with the same problem! Handcrafted shelves and stands, made to order and perfection out of gorgeous solid walnut with embedded Lego blocks. Made in Oregon USA, worldwide shipping. Please check them out! Chroble.com.
    margotAdeelZubairGothamConstructionCocrazycarl
    Rest assured I'm much better at making shelves than I am at avoiding accidental double posting...
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,335
    @Drmnez‌ - Coming along well. Have to say I especially like your profile picture. ;o)
    @samiam391‌ ty! I was going through my ucs collection and thought my cloud city boba was scratched on the arms. Super happy to see that he wasn't.
  • zyotezyote Member Posts: 16
    Hello. I've been using some acrylic make-up containers i found at The Container Store turned vertically. They work quite well, though going forward i think i want to make something completely custom.

On the second photo, i have one of the little tiered display stands with a cover, which can also be bought at The Container Store.
    Galactuscrazycarl
  • empireempire BC, CanadaMember Posts: 43
    Wow, some amazing displays here.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    edited January 2015
    @zyote I love those Duplo Lego Movie characters! :D The only reason I'm following Chima sets at the moment is hope that a right leg will be released. XD
    zyote
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310

My kids had the same problem (and I had a few loose figs on my desk) so I thought of a solution, then perfected it over a year to sell to Lego lovers with the same problem! Handcrafted shelves and stands, made to order and perfection out of gorgeous solid walnut with embedded Lego blocks. Made in Oregon USA, worldwide shipping. Please check them out! Chroble.com.

These are gorgeous! And I noticed 25% off right now.

• gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    I found that no off-the-shelf display unit could handle the "deep" figures like mermaids and the gorgon so I built an 18 shelf unit with three doors made from Ikea photo frames. So far everything fits perfectly, even the Duplo event bricks sit nicely on top. The Simpsons, Lego Movie and Olympic figures are in there but they'll be re-homed when series 16 onwards comes out.

Not sure what I'll do for series 19!

Lego minifig display
    BrickDancerMojoest
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 330
    Nice touch hanging the series 8 bat upside down.

I too have enough display space through series 18, but will have to build more displays after that.
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    I have a droid vs clone army on 48x48 baseplate.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Building my third shadow box display and finally dawned on me a hack for lining up the tiles on the shelves perfectly even.
    TXLegoguychuckpgifinimSethro3
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,124
    Realized I have all my Hobbit figures in a large zip loc bag. Anyone have any good ideas on how to display this particular theme?
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    We throw all of ours in a big jelly bean/candy jar that we have sitting on a side table
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    It's not really a "display" but here's how I currently have my minifigures stored. By this summer I plan on having a proper display set up when I get more of our basement finished. imageimageimage
    mf1.jpg 513.6K
    mf2.jpg 414.9K
    mf3.jpg 328.4K
    vwong19chuckpgifinimaimlesspursuitslego007SumoLegoLostInTranslation
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    Shib said:

...Very nearly bought one of the Dr Who ones just to see how well they worked for Lego mini figures but just couldn't do it :-P

I picked up a few Daleks feeling through the bags and they look great with LEGO.

Re: display boxes - the seem to me to be great if you have lots of space and don't like dusting figs but they are a bit pricey if you have to buy hundreds of them.
  • addemlitaddemlit CaliforniaMember Posts: 118
    I took these $10 display cases and glued baseplates to them and voila.
    chuckp
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    Seeing as this thread has popped back up again I thought I'd post an update of how my display has evolved.

Here it was six months ago http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/284851/#Comment_284851

Since then I've got a lot more SH figs including my three SDCC exclusives.

As a side to the mini figures I've also started my modular collection, (I have a Town Hall too in its box, but I'm still undecided whether that one will end up being for me or sold later to fund additions to the main SH collection)

There are now two additional lights and all the bulbs are now LEDs. They are just 1w each compared to 10w of the previous bulbs. I also investigated a bit further into the heat issue that was raised previously and using a temp probe found that the previous halogen bulbs caused the glass of the light cover to reach 90 degrees c!! This didn't really travel very far as just a few cm from the bulb the temp was no higher than the rest of the cabinet, but still it left me a little uneasy. With the LEDs however they glass cover doesn't even reach 30c.

I've also cleared some space ready for the rest of the new DC figs when I get them. but will need a bit of a re think when it comes to the next Marvel wave.

I may also need a couple more lights soon too, as as I pack the figs closer and closer, less light makes it through to subsequent levels.
    chuckpkorBricktickvwong19AdeelZubair
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    I currently have a DC and Marvel shadow box, but the rate Lego is making Minifigures I will need to separate DC and Marvel into movie and comic lines. A Batman variant is probably in the works also...
    MojoestchuckpkorAdeelZubair
    ^The fact that the SH and SW lines are continuously expanding prevents me from creating a case for them until a subtheme is definitely finished. It's just too much work to build one only to see the collection to outgrow it. The current case (95 figs capacity) for the recently wrapped CW subtheme took me 2 whole days so far.
    bobabricks
    edited January 2015
    I would like some opinion, I hung my comics up (see pic) and would like to know if it'll look better to make both marvel and dc like the left, the right, leave it the way it is, or something else. I plan on having another one of those display cases, and would like to hang my MFs up. Let me know what you think.

PS dont mind the redecorating mess
  • sstoroesstoroe Member Posts: 156
    edited January 2015
    is this picture tiny for everyone? How do you see it bigger? It says 2M?

Never Mind. I guess I just need to wait?
  • squarebear47squarebear47 Ohio - USAMember Posts: 29
    @addemlit - where did you find those display cases? Brand name? Thanks!
  • RemixDesignRemixDesign LondonMember Posts: 22
    Hello, I'm new and this is my first post. I've spent the last few months collecting every Collectable Minifigure (series 1-13). I've started to display them in a 50x50cm IKEA RIBBA frame. The shelves were a bit complicated!
    I'm now looking to get a new frame for specific licensed ones i want, like TMNT and Super Heroes etc.
    MinifigsMechuckpMojoestourmoneydiarycatwranglerToc13
  • standisstandis Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    this is the way I display my lego minifigs. I built it myself from yellow PVC and in the front I have a clear plexiglass. It is for 160 figures. 16 in one row. What do you think?
  • nicoyagomeznicoyagomez Member Posts: 24
    I bought this 30 in X 40 in shadow box frame from Michael's last weekend. Shadow box retails for ~$160 but you can actually get it for about $80 with thier routine sales and coupons.

I glued some 48X48 baseplates onto the frame (I need two more!). Then used CMF display stands for the figures. I can fit 31 figures across and have room for 8 rows. You can actually fit more rows but i like having additional spacing. This weekend, I'll create another one for my marvel figures.

chuckpMojoestSethro3hkcrazy88
  • addemlitaddemlit CaliforniaMember Posts: 118
    @squarebear47 sorry for the late post!

I got them on the container store website. They are $10 each.

Here's a link
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/display?productId=10022884
  • RubberbandManRubberbandMan Member Posts: 48
    Here's my solution to the Minifig Display. $20 per shelving unit. Made for shot glasses but works perfectly for minifigs.

• Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I like that shadow box approach. I've considered doing that. I wasn't sure how well the big figs would fit, but it looks like they would be okay. But at $80+ for the case AND $17+ for 48x48 baseplates x 6, that really adds up. I guess I'll stick with throwing them all in a box for now until I can figure out a proper display piece.

I'd have Harry Potter, Star Wars, LOTR/Hobbit, and Super Heroes figures to display, so it'd be quite a feat.
  • ChewieBricksHDChewieBricksHD Member Posts: 2
    Really like your display Drmnez! Btw, Character Display Brix has a good solution of keeping them contained and stackable. Too bad it would so expensive to do this for 100s of minifigures
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,048
    edited March 2015
    As dust is a huge factor where my collection is displayed, and I focus almost exclusively on the CMF sets, I'm trying the following approach:

I've also got some larger pics of the rest of the display.

The plastic case (for a case of 12) was $85.00 shipped - so it's really quite inexpensive.  Tracking down the flat pieces for the bases has been a real pain.  I think it looks fairly good, though...
    I should probably post the url.  My apologies, I still live in the stone age where Flickr is a viable photo-sharing website...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157650832176478/

BrickDancervwong19chuckphkcrazy88
    You built Mr. Kitty!?! Color me green with envy.
    SumoLego
    I built some modular display cases using Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Arm Up (Horizontal Arm Length 6mm)'s instead of studs to hold the minifigs in. This creates less of a chance of the feet cracking. I would upload and LDD file but I don't exactly know how to. :P Sorry for the darkness, there isn't a lot of light in this room.

chuckp
    It took me a while to design shelving to fit my frame on LDD. Ended up pretty expensive when I ordered it too. I have all the minifigure series but liked to display them by colour.
    bobabricksSumoLegochuckpcheekymunk3yBumblepants
    I didn't build a Mr. Kitty - it was a gift or a door prize at a convention a few years. One of my many projects is to figure out exactly where it came from.

I do plan on posting more pictures in the forum to see if someone knows the history on the piece, or can put me in contact with the builder.
    @RemixDesign - the first thing I thought when looking at the display was "Where is the Roman Emperor?"

Then I did some math and realized there were a few sets missing...
  • B_HollsB_Holls Member Posts: 41
    For my mini figs on display I use type cases. The case fits the figs perfectly 
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    Here is my Mini Figure stand

bobabricks
    @SumoLego I have them all but my OCD means not all of them make the frame! Will change around if Series 14 has some suitable colourful figures.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    Lots of food for thought here. We moved six months ago and my CMFs are in a box that has yet to be unpacked. In the old flat they just sat along the edge of a bookshelf, which was nice in its way, but I might look at something more dust-protective this time round, so long as I can still take them out easily when they need to populate a building/scene...
    Does anyone ever just carry a minifigure or two around in their pocket for fun?
    bobabricksMordoorkhmellymel
    According to the designer video of #10225 the R2-D2 minifigure was meant to go in your pocket while you're at work or school and you miss the big guy. ;)
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,653

I care very deeply about my minifigures so they don't leave my room, they are all dust free in my secret vault!
    bobabricks
    After I get the rest of them for the year this case will be all set
    ricecakerichl
    ^ Very nice
    Drmnez
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    Oh yeah. They're very tactile and nice to mess with if I'm tense/waiting for something... 
    NatebwbobabricksBrixfan02
    ^yes! Sometimes at work if I am stressed or on a long call it's nice to just hold one and smile; it's amazing what a yellow smiley face can do.
    bobabricksMordoor