Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,402
    CCC said:

Remember too that even though we sometimes get [email protected] discounts, they often don't bring down the prices below US prices. So your unreasonable RRP in the US might actually be less than what others might consider a reasonable sale price in the UK/EU.

I understand. My point is not to begrudge the EU/UK for having good prices from time to time, which I think is great. My dissatisfaction is that for the past 1.5 years TLG has had no sales on the larger, desirable sets in the USA AND strictly enforces a no-sale policy with distributors. Getting smaller sets at reasonable prices isn't as much of an issue here, but of course a smaller set puts less of a dent in the wallet anyway.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,590

My dissatisfaction is that for the past 1.5 years TLG has had no sales on the larger, desirable sets in the USA AND strictly enforces a no-sale policy with distributors. Getting smaller sets at reasonable prices isn't as much of an issue here, but of course a smaller set puts less of a dent in the wallet anyway.

Remember the alternative (to the no sale policy for distributors, which is probably illegal in the EU) is that they keep the larger sets as exclusives, and only allow retailers to take the smaller sets that sell in large volumes or let one other store have an exclusive - where that store rarely discounts unless they price match, and they'll never need to price match an exclusive. This is happening a bit now in the UK with some sets, hence the joy when a second (alternative) retailer that does do discounts gets a large set on their books.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,621
    edited January 2015
    Good news! New Green and Sand baseplates...and the sad news is the blue and normal green baseplates are discontinued. I'm not really concerned about the green baseplate but the blue one was the easiest option for water. It looks as if global warming has come early for LEGO City and the water has been evaporated leaving behind sand :)

Seriously why did you discontinue the blue baseplate? Now I will have no water for my LEGO City :/
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,305

The lack of availability of the Flower Cart is very annoying. It's only a few days into the month! I assume it is sold out in stores as well. I was waiting to go to a store so I could also redeem my coupon for a free LEGO employee minifig from the store calendar.

But on the other hand, that makes it easy for me to "pass" on new sets at LEGO's RRP. I got the two superhero sets I wanted the most on a great discount at Target, and I'll take the $17+ I saved there over a Flower Cart.

I think stores may still have them, well not all, but the store I frequent said they got less than they expected for the flower cart, so it seems like LEGO is making fewer. Why, I'm not sure. I think the other issue, at least online, is that there were decent sets on clearance (IMO) which probably also made it easier to get a few sets to get to 75 and get the flower cart (likely to sell online for many). It seems whenever LEGO happens to have a sale/clearance on sets when they release a promo bag that bag tends to run out faster. However at the stores I did ont see much on sale, so physical stores may still have some.
    Adzbadboy said:

Good news! New Green and Sand baseplates...and the sad news is the blue and normal green baseplates are discontinued. I'm not really concerned about the green baseplate but the blue one was the easiest option for water. It looks as if global warming has come early for LEGO City and the water has been evaporated leaving behind sand :)

Seriously why did you discontinue the blue baseplate? Now I will have no water for my LEGO City :/

What you should be asking is how a company discontinues the 32x32 blue baseplate right as they are about to relaunch a Pirate line, which would be the likeliest set to use such plates. Glad I grabbed a bunch at the LEGO store PreBF event.
    LegoTT
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,158
    ^Not just pirates but supposedly a some deep sea based City sets too. Seems an odd choice but I guess they weren't selling as well as the green.
    The sea bed is sand :-)

It would have been fun to wind up Greenpeace a little and make a black one.
    Sombux
  • hkcrazy88hkcrazy88 USA/ItalyMember Posts: 163
    Good to know they stopped making the blue baseplates. Thanks for the heads up, definitely going to grab a few.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,698

Something about healthcare and taxes comparisons in 3...2...1...

My wife just asked if I was ill. Apparently I'm a grumpy arse that doesn't smile much so she says I must be coming down with something.
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 813
    Hey....me and you both....mines yet to work out that it's her who makes me grumpy.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    edited January 2015
    It seems stupid to discontinue blue base plates. I've come up with 3 possible reasons:

1.) They chose not to produce any right now due to manufacturing constraints.
    2.) They are being updated with a beach or waves or something.
    3.) Blue is their least favorite color
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    If blue is their favorite color, that is the wrong answer.

LegoKipMrJ_NYGothamConstructionCoMathBuilder
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 478
    edited January 2015
    Speaking of taxes (as we sort of were at the end of the previous page), I discovered that if I pay for an entire order of over $75 with VIP points, I also pay no sales tax! (I live in the U.S.--specifically, in North Carolina.) It's not supposed to work this way, especially since in my state I'm supposed to pay tax on the shipping cost of anything I buy via catalog, as well as on the purchase price. But if the shipping is free, and the sets are free, there's nothing (as far as TLG apparently believes) left to be taxed! That's a nice little 7%+ bonus when I'm using my points, and another reason for me to buy via [email protected] or at the local LEGO store. I must admit I seldom bother checking other sources of Lego out unless I hear of a really good price on Amazon or a big sale locally. But I'm not really much of a reseller, though I like knowing some of my unopened sets represent good investments as well as potential future sources of great personal pleasure.

Unfortunately this principle doesn't apply to VAT, I realize. One more way the US gets a price break. Sorry about that.

Meanwhile, the next time I get a chance, I'm checking out my local TRU for blue baseplates. They had lots before Christmas; perhaps they still have a few....
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    What is the difference between the discontinued green baseplates and the new ones?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432

What is the difference between the discontinued green baseplates and the new ones?

About US$2.00 :(
    brickupdateBrickDancerLegoTTPenkid11BumblepantsLegoKipdougtsjasor
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 779
    sidersdd said:

About US$2.00 :(
    $3 to be exact. The old ones were only $5. :(
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    Oh, so nothing other than price. That confused me at first. Yeah, I had seen the new price, and felt a little annoyed by it. The XL Gray baseplate is also more expensive now, and I thought it was too much before. $14.99 sounds like a great deal by comparison!
  • BalloonistBalloonist Member Posts: 52
    edited January 2015
    21108 Ghostbusters set seems only available at RRP in the UK at Lego.com. Is this going or awaiting a new batch? You know who to call......
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 291
    Just curious. I had the mixer arrive today. It looks awesome and I want to build it. I decided to leave it in the box until I get another. I have a feeling this isn't a popular set. But with the Ferris wheel coming out, later people are going to want to complete their carnival. Do you think this will jump after EOL?
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    That's a good point...I saw several mixers available in the Lego Store...it doesn't interest me at all. However, that could mean that it will retire sooner and become more valuable in the long run. That said, I won't be picking it up at its current MSRP.
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 291
    I think that's it. It's $150 and doesn't look big like a modular so people are passing it up. This is a sleeper IMO
    brickupdate
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    LegoTT said:

That's a good point...I saw several mixers available in the Lego Store...it doesn't interest me at all. However, that could mean that it will retire sooner and become more valuable in the long run. That said, I won't be picking it up at its current MSRP.

This is why timing is everything. In Nov you could get this with the toy workshop (~$20), the free hot dog cart (~$15) and 2x points (~$15). From a total value standpoint, that made the mixer end up in the neighborhood of $100.

Of course, given that Lego has been selling out of month-long promotions in mere days lately, so you need to be even more alert and prepared to pull the trigger.

@matticus_bricks The new one is the lighter green used in the LEGO Minecraft sets 'Bright Green.' The old one was 'Dark Green.'
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,402

Of course, given that Lego has been selling out of month-long promotions in mere days lately, so you need to be even more alert and prepared to pull the trigger.

My hunch is that TLG doesn't believe they need to spend a lot of money on promotional products early in the year because they think people will purchase the new sets anyway. To your point, that's why I try to either time it to get the promotions or do without until the next opportunity. And the next decent opportunity to pick up a larger set will likely be in the March/April timeframe when/if TLG is offering double VIP points again. And so my list grows...
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    Dark green. Ridiculous name for that color. What's the Bricklink dark green then ... strenuously dark green?
    prevere said:

Dark green. Ridiculous name for that color. What's the Bricklink dark green then ... strenuously dark green?

BL dark green = LEGO earth green.

BuriedinBricks
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,158
    Using words like Earth or Sand in colour names is why I like the Lego colour palette names
    PlellGothamConstructionCo
  • littlepuppilittlepuppi Member Posts: 181
    Do people think this will be the Pet Shops last year?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,305
    edited January 2015

More than likely, Yes
    Pitfall69
    Adzbadboy said:

@matticus_bricks The new one is the lighter green used in the LEGO Minecraft sets 'Bright Green.' The old one was 'Dark Green.'
    Uh... are you sure? Are we talking about the new packaging of the 32x32 baseplates? Are they looking like this:

If so, they look like the dark green (LEGO color name) from before.
    @sidersdd I've seen them in person at the LEGO Store, I'm 100% sure.
    edited January 2015
    Adzbadboy said:

@sidersdd I've seen them in person at the LEGO Store, I'm 100% sure.

Very interesting. I'll be on the lookout for these. What was the set number on the packaging? Was it 10700 like in the photo?
    ^^It must be the same, I didn't take notice of the set number.
    Shib said:

Using words like Earth or Sand in colour names is why I like the Lego colour palette names

I'm waiting for Light and Dark Bluish Green.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949

I expect this to go untill fall, but I would not be surprised if the end is nearer as is ending now. You can't get one anywhere online.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    prevere said:

Shib said:

I'm waiting for Light and Dark Bluish Green.
    "Bleen"?

GothamConstructionCoslovakiasteph

I expect this to go untill fall, but I would not be surprised if the end is nearer as is ending now. You can't get one anywhere online.

I feel like the timeline is getting shorter every year. People panicked and bought up all the GE's then TH followed shortly after. I was thinking Pet Shop would last until the Fall, but I feel many people of thinking the same thing and might go before then.

FollowsCloselymadforLEGO
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    edited January 2015
    ^ You mean Medium Stone Green and Dark Stone Green?

I think my favorite color name is Curry. I have no idea what the BrickLink name for this color is.
  • PepperPepper Wisconsin, USAMember Posts: 91
    Are Orthanc and the rest of the LOTR sets going soon? Also, how long might the first wave of TLM sets stick around?
    Pepper said:

Are Orthanc and the rest of the LOTR sets going soon? Also, how long might the first wave of TLM sets stick around?

LOTR sets are already EOL, with the exception of Orthanc.

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,705
    ^^I wouldn't expect the TLM sets to last past the end of the year with perhaps some of them EOLing this summer to make way for other stuff.
  • littlepuppilittlepuppi Member Posts: 181
    Better get a couple of petshops ordered then! Cheers guys.
  • JamesJTJamesJT Member Posts: 440
    edited January 2015
    ^^ #70802, #70811, #70812 & #70813 are all "sold Out" on UK [email protected] already.
  • PepperPepper Wisconsin, USAMember Posts: 91
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    Looking at those baseplates at target, they are definitely not the same regular green, but the lighter bright green. Not normal green. I was disappointed.
    MrJ_NY
    Larger sets generally do pretty well from a resale perspective, and most of he discussion on this thread is based on sets with an RRP greater than $100.

But what are the thoughts on sub-$100 sets and their respective themes? The IDEAS theme seems to do pretty well (or else TLG just doesn't produce enough of them). I also think the Super Hero sets perform pretty well too after being EOL'd. Other thoughts on current sets and themes?
    My pick would be #79003 An Unexpected Gathering. Even though it was on sale quite a bit, I think it will be a winner.
    I think most of the Superheroes sets will do well, especially the ones that have exclusive Minifigures like Deadpool.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    edited January 2015
    How do City sets fare in the aftermarket? I mean, I'm sure it varies like any other theme but is there a correlation in terms of what tends to be successful? They put out the (seemingly) same Police/Fire sets every few years so I doubt that those sets are sought after much. And City lacks the sexy licensed minifigs... hmmm, maybe I should be asking if City sets do well at all?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,705
    edited January 2015
    ^Rarer sets that don't get made too often do ok like Gas Stations or things like that. I like to think 'Would I or other AFoLs want this in their modular/city layout?' and if the answer is yes than it goes into consideration for investment.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,873
    From the new wave of City I think the Snow Plow will do well. From the last wave, I really like the Cement Mixer, Tow Truck and Logging Truck. I don't think they will set the world on fire, but fun sets that are enjoyable builds. Also, relatively uncommon vehicles.