Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UCS AT-AT ready for duty....

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    Has anyone that built this glued anything? I know it is sacrilege but I am moving in a few weeks and will have to disassemble mine and when I go to put it back together I think I'm going to glue the vertical lengths of the legs. When assembling it the first time the legs buckling to the side was the worst part of it.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,732
    graphite said:

Has anyone that built this glued anything?

Not me, but I know of at least one person who has.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 900
    graphite said:

?..glued anything? I know it is sacrilege..

It's only sacrilege if people keep thinking that it is. You've gotta do what you gotta do, I say.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    Lord Business plans to end the world as we know it... :)
    graphite
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    As many times as I've had the legs crumble while attempting to set it up, I've been sorely tempted!
    MorkMan
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,443
    edited December 2014
    @ecmo47‌ @drdavewatford‌ @Brew‌ @graphite‌ @cavegod‌

I've started building so it's time to resurrect this thread from the grave...

I've just completed one leg (it only took me 2 hours...) and have some questions. I've read through this thread a few times and have noted a few things:
    -Tires in the bottom of the feet- I have the pieces, but am not sure how to attach them. It is a simple axle to rim connection?
    -Square bracket piece in the bottom of the foot. I also thought it was strange how they had the bracket piece off center when placing it in the bottom of the foot. So center it, and then place two additional 2x4s on top?

My own questions:
    -My current leg can't even stand up on its own. I wasn't expecting it too, but at the same time it can barely support its own weight. The small attachments (appendages) that come off the bottom of the foot aren't keeping level with the rest of the foot, thus they are at a slight angle. Essentially, the small appendages are supporting the entire weight of the leg, which I don't think is right. If I remove these appendages, then the leg can stand on its own (as seen in picture 3). With the appendages, the whole thing crashes into a bunch of pieces (already happened once unfortunately). Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong there?
    -Can I go ahead and build the other 3 feet at the same time, or are there any differences between them? It would save some time when gathering pieces.

The floating pieces in the LDD instructions is a problem as well, I already feel like I'm missing things.

If I have the time, I'm hoping to get another lego done tomorrow. It'd be great to do it right as opposed to having to come back to it and fix everything, so any comments/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Have to say that when I first bought the pieces I had no idea that it was going to be this BIG... the leg is just massive. Cannot wait to see the finished product.
    aimlesspursuits
  • alijoezacalijoezac UK, NottinghamMember Posts: 551
    If you can do a nice set of LEGO style instructions rather than the LDD ones as you build that may get me started on it ;-) Worried that using LDD is going to be too difficult for me!
    samiam391 said:

Tires in the bottom of the feet- I have the pieces, but am not sure how to attach them. It is a simple axle to rim connection?

The tyre fits horizontally into the big square aperture at the bottom of the foot. It should protrude slightly, otherwise it won't provide the necessary grip to stop the foot from slipping.
    samiam391 said:

-Square bracket piece in the bottom of the foot. I also thought it was strange how they had the bracket piece off center when placing it in the bottom of the foot. So center it, and then place two additional 2x4s on top?

Sorry - not sure which bracket piece you're referring to. Can you clarify?
    samiam391 said:

-My current leg can't even stand up on its own. I wasn't expecting it too, but at the same time it can barely support its own weight. The small attachments (appendages) that come off the bottom of the foot aren't keeping level with the rest of the foot, thus they are at a slight angle. Essentially, the small appendages are supporting the entire weight of the leg, which I don't think is right. If I remove these appendages, then the leg can stand on its own (as seen in picture 3). With the appendages, the whole thing crashes into a bunch of pieces (already happened once unfortunately). Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong there?

The legs do support their own weight BUT can easily topple over when fully flexed at the 'ankle'; it's only really an issue prior to attaching them to the AT-AT body during final assembly though. The appendages didn't help with stability in my experience - they seemed to be purely ornamental. FYI I ended up modding the ankles to slightly reduce the range of movement - it seemed to improve stability and strength.
    samiam391 said:

The floating pieces in the LDD instructions is a problem as well, I already feel like I'm missing things.

Yes - per all the ranting on my blog posts the floating pieces in LDD are a pain in backside. You'll just have to grin and bear it I'm afraid.....
    samiam391 said:

Have to say that when I first bought the pieces I had no idea that it was going to be this BIG... the leg is just massive. Cannot wait to see the finished product.

Yes - it's massive.... Enjoy the ride!
  • BrewBrew New Mexico (It's an actual state in the US)Member Posts: 182
    You're gonna have a great time building this!

I'll take a stab at your questions,

1) off center piece is an LDD mistake.. Should be centered
    2) You've got an error somewhere with the toe connection. No way those brackets will support the whole weight. See my Picts...
    3) no way to fix LDD floating part problem. Just go back and forth several steps to try and catch them and place where they go
    4) legs are the same/mirror images

I didn't have the right tires, but the ones in my pictures worked ok as long as the whole model is standing on a rubberized mat. I got some white rubber drawer liner from the hardware store and it worked great to keep the legs from splaying out. Tires I have are from mind storms 2.0.

You still have no idea how massive it is... Wait till you get the body on the legs, then it truly becomes massive...

Good luck. Make sure you read the blog by @drdavewatford‌. Sorry don't have the link right now.
    Sorry. Having trouble with Picts... I'll keep trying.
    @drdavewatford‌ - How did you modify the ankles to reduce flexibility? I definitely see how that could be a major point of stability.

Thanks for the comments. I was able to figure out the problem with the toes/appendages. A little bit of tinkering fixed the problem. That LDD file can be misleading.

How does that in the bottom of the foot look? I've noticed that it does not extend past the rest of the foot, so I'm not sure how good the traction will be. I didn't push the axle all the way into the rim because I wanted to make sure the tire was sticking out at least a little bit... otherwise it's essentially useless as a traction piece.
    margot
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 260
    Brew said:

You still have no idea how massive it is... Wait till you get the body on the legs, then it truly becomes massive...

How does the whole thing compare to the UCS Falcon, weight wise?
    The box that I received weighed 18 pounds. I think the falcon is 30 pounds?
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,308
    This is going to be a fun thread to follow.
    Legoboysamiam391
    edited December 2014
    Somehow I finished all 4 legs today, I think I might even start work on the body. On completion of the legs (and numerous re-works on one leg that just refused to hold together) I'm a bit concerned about that hinge (picture 2). It seems the entire upper weight of the leg is supported by that one 2x2 hinge, which can easily de-attach from the piece below it causing the entire leg to fall into two pieces (happened a few times).
    -Did any of you re-enforce that hinge with extra pieces?

I know a lot of work was done on the body to re-enforce it. What extra pieces did you all add? I'm already to see the stability problems everywhere, and would prefer to get everything right on the first try rather then do numerous re-builds.
    Pictures.
    margot
    Brew said:

Good luck. Make sure you read the blog by @drdavewatford‌. Sorry don't have the link right now.

You can find the first AT-AT post here; subsequent posts are linked at the end of each instalment.
    I don't recall reinforcing the legs at all. Also, just remember the legs are meant to hold a lot of downward weight (comprehensive force). They are not good at dangling by holding them up from the top (tensile force). They are also not good at staying intact under any kind of side force. If you want to make them stronger, just use more plates instead of bricks. As you've seen, this is already to to a point, but I think you can always do more. Whenever I transport mine, I always remove the feet just above the hinged ankles.
    I'm about 3/4ths of the way through the body, and am unfortunately coming up short on a number of important pieces. I may just hold on the body, and move on to a different portion in hopes that it has all the pieces.

I've contacted the seller... hopefully this will be easy to fix.
    Wow, you're getting through it quickly! Too bad about all of the missing pieces.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    edited December 2014
    ^ Although unsurprising I'm sorry to say. :(

Let us know how you're getting on Sam. Will save me several hundred quid by building yours with you.
    @margot‌ - I like the profile picture ;o)

@Legoboy‌ - Not surprised in the least either. I wish I was.

I'll be continuing what building I can this evening.
    Legoboymargot
    @samiam391, I love AT-AT Walkers. I have these stickers on my car. And between your project, and a fellow bricksetter sharing some Christmas clearance AT-ATs with me it seemed appropriate.
    rancorbaitxeeeej
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    edited December 2014
    I wish I could afford to do this! @samiam391
    margot
    Time for a mini update, filled with questions.

@Brew‌ @drdavewatford‌ @ecmo47‌ @graphite‌ @cavegod‌

I've completed all the different head portions, but am having trouble piecing everything together.

I believe I have attached the sides on correctly (see pictures to confirm). I'm having the most trouble with the roof portion. Currently, I'm connecting the 1x8 on the bottom of the room to the 1x4 at the end of the head. However, when I do that the entire head looks "flat" and not correct at all. So incorrect in fact, that any adjustments with the sides of the head, etc, don't do anything to help it look better. I've been swapping back and forth between Dave's blog (which has been extremely helpful) and my own set and have not been able to figure it out. Any tips?

Also, I've got 4 extra chunks of pieces that I'm not sure where they go, can anyone place them on the head?

Thanks for the help. For those that are following along, I'll post a more informative update later this evening :smile:
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 811
    the 1x2x4 bracket needs to be moved down a plate or 2.

the wedge plates and 1x6 tile go on the back of the head i believe.

the 1x1 tech bricks, pin joiner are the range finders for the cheek guns.

the other tech brick maybe for the underneath round the chin lasers.
    @cavegod‌ - Are you referring to the piece in the 3rd picture (from L to R)? If so, how do I move it down 1-2 studs? Do I move the entire bottom portion out?
    Delighted that @cavegod has now pitched in as he obviously has the most experience with this.

I recall it being a challenge to get the head right, @samiam391‌. My advice is don't be afraid to experiment - the head required a lot of trial and error before it looked right. Have a play with it and don't be afraid to tweak it on the fly to get it looking how it should. You'll get there eventually....

Don't forget the elastic band, incidentally - you'll need an appropriately-sized one to pull the sides of the head inwards at the correct angle. This will also help to support the roof, if I remember correctly.
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 811
    ^^ yes just move it down a plate or maybe 2
    Did you read my comments about improving the head? Changing out the hinges on the front helped things fit.
    I'm "finished".

The build itself is officially complete. I've finished building all of the sides, the body, roof, neck, and head. On the final side, I actually ran out of the correct pieces in some cases and had to make it up on my own. Thus, the final side looks a little bit more tacky, but it works so I'm going to stick with it.

The final steps will be to assemble this giant. I went back a page and saw your comments @ecmo47‌, thanks for directing me towards them. I still need to fix the head, so I'll be sure to follow your steps when I do.

Unfortunately, time won't permit me to put it all together until a few days from now. When I do though, I'll be sure to post my final thoughts on this build, with of course a few photos!
    LobotmargotrancorbaitLegoboyGothamConstructionCoaimlesspursuits
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    @samiam391 - The front hinge-brick on the left-hand head/cockpit panel is not completely connected :)
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,021
    That looks amazing @samiam391 I'm sooo tempted to Bricklink the parts for it!
    rancorbait
    Sorry, it's been a few days since I could get to mine to take some pictures, but I wanted to show some of my mods to the original to help others in the future.

1) Neck. I added a little beef to how the hoses connect. The original put a lot of stress on the 1x2 with 2 holes and it would pop off all the time.
    Also I added a clicky knee joint to inside of neck to help 'pose' the head better. On the original the head could swing a little too freely.

2) Head. Here's how I modified the front to fix interference issue and get everything aligned the best I could. Lots of ways to do this.
    Also, I added some wedge plates to the back of the head to fill in the back a little. These work with any head angle.

3) Side. I added some 1x long plates on top of the slope bricks before putting the hinges on because I (like several others) was getting a lot of bend due to the clutch of the hinges squeezing the slopes together. This fixed it. I may also have beefed up how the back side connects to the middle, can't remember though.

4. Body. Here is an overview of the body and how I connected the dangling lift arms. Pete says they were for added head/neck support but are no longer needed. I added them anyway.
    I beefed up the top section so that it could be carried a bit safer by the 'handle' without coming apart. Don't lift it like this when the sides are on or you'll pay!
    I also modified the back so that the top back roof section now connects "firmly" to the body.
    There was also a weird thing were it looked like a piece was missing, I added a 2x4 brick.

Happy building.
    Here are the rest of the pictures...
    It has been a week since I've been able to update it. I had some time this evening so I decided to take another stab at the head. After over an hour of literally fighting with it, I think I got it to work. I've attached some pictures, does everything look correct? I added some of my own improvisations to try and make it work. I still have a left over piece, anyone know where it goes?

If I have time tomorrow, I'm going to move everything to where the set will be put on display and try to put it all together. As for tonight, I'll be going to bed and having nightmares of how all 6k pieces are going to come crashing to the floor.

@Brew- Thanks for the pictures, they were very helpful when used alongside @drdavewatford‌ 's blog.
    As usual, I forgot to attach the pictures.
    rancorbaitPitfall69margotdrdavewatfordGothamConstructionCo
    That piece with the wedge plates goes on the lower part of the back of the head. See my pictures above, although it looks like mine have a mix of dark grey and light grey.

Good job, the head it the most delicate, toughest part to get right!
    @Brew‌ - Do the side panels only connect to the body by two of those "push" pins? That's all I have connected to my side panels at the moment, and I see where they need to go, but that looks just incredibly fragile.
    @drdavewatford‌ @Brew‌ @ecmo47‌ @cavegod‌

She's up!

Sort of... this thing is unstable as all get out. I've taken pictures of the spacing between each leg. Anything I can do to make this more stable? I'm scared that when I try to put on the siding it will all collapse into a giant heap. Right now I'm pretty sure merely breathing on it will make it collapse. It took about 30 minutes of adjusting for it to finally stand on all 4s without either tipping towards the front or back.
    margot
    ^ Great job!

I know, I know - terrifying, isn't it?!

And just think - you still have the joy of attaching the head and the sides to look forward to!
    ^ and the head is really heavy and totally shifts the center of gravity! You will find that you need to have the head and sides attached before attempting to stand it up as the beast does not take lateral motion very well. You will need to angle the legs a little more to maintain final balance.
    Annnnndddd... the rebels win this round.

After attaching the head the center of gravity shifted as expected. However, this then caused the front right leg to crumple, followed by the "engines" under the body, followed by the body itself... and then the rest of the legs decided they were tired too and gave way. So we're back to square 1 in terms of assembly.

I'm going to try some repair work tomorrow and maybe try to customize some more points of stabilization. Would you all recommend putting on the sides + neck + head on the body before putting it all on the legs? Otherwise it seems like the center of gravity is going to keep shifting which will cause this whole cycle above to repeat.

If it doesn't work tomorrow, I'm going to pack up the project for a month or so and try ordering some pieces to try and make everything a little more secure.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,641
    ^ That reminds me of my sons #7261 Clone Turbo Tank, the thing falls apart just looking at it.
    That's really too bad, but get back up on that horse!

I have assembled it several times now and here is my order:
    1) put legs in position. Two legs spread wide and two legs in (see picture). Take your time lining them up so that they are just in the right place relative to where the body goes. I always use rubberized mat under to help tires really grip
    2) put body on legs. After, ensure body is relatively level both front to back and side to side. To adjust, lift weight off body and fine tune each leg one at a time.
    3) attach head to neck. Do this before putting it on the body.
    4) attach neck/head to body. Make sure to hold body stable without putting stress on it. I like to put alignment pins in body first because they seem to insert into neck easier
    5) attach sides on one at a time. Yes, they hang by 2 axle pins. Take care to align with lower part of body because it's an exact fit on the lower part of panel. As was said, lateral movement is something that will easily knock it over so make sure to support the body. I like to insert the axles into the body rather that pins into the sides requires more force. Once you're done with the sides, you're home free
    6) set the roof panels in place. Pretty straight forward, except the front one it kinda tight and may require a piece to be removed to get it just right. Once in place you can put the piece that you removed back on and voila! You're done. It's that easy!

This is why I've said before that this could never be a real set sold to the masses. It's WAY too unstable. It would have to be 2/3 to 1/2 the size (and it would still be pretty big).

Good luck on your rebuild. I think most of the people that have done this have had to rebuild a major portion at least once (including me).

[no idea why the picture is upside down, don't try and assemble it this way ;)]
    Diggydoes
    edited January 2015
    Oh no, @Samiam391, that's terrible news. Nooooooooo! It was looking really good.

btw, I have a t-shirt recommendation for you.
    http://www.target.com/p/star-wars-at-at-men-s-t-shirt/-/A-15440373#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=star+wars+t+shirt
    Several hours of hard work later, and it's starting to take shape.

After it crashed apart last night I knew I had to make some modifications. The weight of the head was actually splitting the body down the middle. Thus, I went into my piece stash and took out every technic piece I found. I knew I needed to pull the center of gravity back towards the middle of the body. At the time, it was where the neck attached to the rest of the body (not an ideal spot). I added several pieces towards the front, and angled them back. I'm actually quite proud of the little contraption I built. All in all, on each side, it's about 13 inter-connected pieces that make up a little gizmo that does the trick. In addition, I also added a few more pieces towards the middle as the technic beams near the bottom were lifting up off the "base" plates. That made it so everything was neatly compact. In addition, I added a few other pieces here and there, plates and such, to try and balance/stabilize some more things. One of the main problems was one of the engines on the bottom kept detaching from the base plate bottom. I noticed a plate was missing there, and as soon as I added it the entire engine had no problem remaining still. It also helped to balance out the legs.

At this point, I was actually able to pick it up by the "handle" and everything remained very stable.

After about 2-3 hours of poking, prodding, and making adjustments, I was ready to proceed with the assembly. With help, I was able to add the body to the legs. After an additional 45 minutes of prodding and making minor adjustments I finally had something stable enough to be proud of. Another addition I made was putting a rubberized mat on the bottom to give the feet more traction. I think this has definitely helped the model a lot, as the feet were slipping a lot last night on the glossy wooden table.

As if to reward my hard work, the head was fitted on the first try and caused no problems to the model.

I now have a set that is standing well on its own. I definitely wouldn't push it, but I can shake the top very lightly and have no problems.

Any suggestions/tips for when adding the side plates?
    This evenings work has left me quite exhausted, so I'm going to try and finish it up tomorrow evening. You'll notice that I don't have the option to work around the model, as the table is pushed up against a wall. Thus, I'll have to lift one of the side plates over the top of the model and place it on (which will be quite nerve wracking).

To give a small sense of scale as to how large it is, the 5th picture has a red minifigure next to the front foot. In addition, you can tell just how large it is by comparing it to the star destoryer and super star destroyer right next to it. It truly is massive.
    margot
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    Brew said:

1) put legs in position. Two legs spread wide and two legs in (see picture). Take your time lining them up so that they are just in the right place relative to where the body goes. I always use rubberized mat under to help tires really grip

This was going to be my suggestion as well. Was the best way I found to have it stand properly. I had multiple legs fall apart while trying to get it all together. If you get any tilt to a side on a leg they snap easily since it is mostly 2x6 stacked. The legs and a couple other things I am going to be gluing (I know blasphemy) next time I put it back together. It is currently packed from moving.
    I'll be setting mine up on Friday for ComicCon New Mexico. When I do, I'll take some notes and pictures, particularly regarding the sides. Not sure if Sam can wait that long, if not just read my comment above for the sides.

I have set mine up with access from only one side and it is a little hair raising. Just make sure you have a chair to stand on so you can look straight done on it to put the far side on.

Congrats on re-assembly so quickly. Took me about 3 weeks after mine did the splits.
    @Brew‌ - I actually can't... I'll be trying to put the sides and roof on tomorrow.

Did you make any adjustments to the sides? Did you "slant" the front and back panels at all using the hinged pieces? Or did you just keep them flat? Hard to believe it's just two little clips that hold these massive things onto the side.