Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

First Modular Set

draco1122draco1122 Member Posts: 10
So I have mainly collected the the Superhero sets over the years but I'm really like the looks of some of the modular sets. What do you guys recommend as the first set? I have seen that the pet shop may be the next one retired but of all of them out right now it looks to be my least favorite. I really like the Parisian Restaurant since I love cooking but the Detective set also looks really interesting. Any thoughts on which one would be a good starter build for getting into modular would be appreciated.

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    I think you would be surprised about the Pet Shop. I thought it was an enjoyable build. Big isn't always better. You can also separate the buildings unlike the Detective Office. You kind of started a bit late in collecting the Modulars, but if you are going to build them all, you can probably find some used sets at reasonable prices.
    Legoboyyys4uAdzbadboycarlqChicagoLegoCollector
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Pet Shop is my favorite, and I have heard others say the same. I have them all lined up here (Palace Cinema is currently being built, and Detective Office is on the way), and has their pros and cons. But Pet Shop is the most fun for me.
    LegoboyFollowsClosely
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    edited January 2015
    Pet Shop is probably my favorite modular from a construction standpoint. I found it to be an incredibly fun build.
    If you're going to try for them all, I'd start with the most likely to be retired. You're going to be kicking yourself later otherwise, when the one that you passed on is twice as expensive.
    LegoboySirBenAdzbadboyFollowsCloselymadforLEGO
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,402
    Yes, buy Pet Shop now before it goes, it's the only modular that can be split in two and moved around. One of the best.
    Pitfall69FollowsClosely
    Oh no!!! @Legoboy‌ is "like-whoring" again ;)
    FollowsCloselyrocao
  • empireempire BC, CanadaMember Posts: 43
    Detective Office is really impressive looking, I like the Palace Cinema too.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,938
    If you are not trying to collect all of them, going with your favorite is a fine way to go. This why I have the Haunted a House, which is not a modular, but was one of my favorite sets ever from a sheer look. Personally, I also love the look of the Parisian.

One thing I have my son do when he is not sure is to look at video reviews. We find that really helps to narrow a choice down.

The other thing I would add... I feel that the modulars almost started over in size and detail with the Parisian.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Pet shop is my recommendation as others pointed out.
    I have build Grand Emporium, Fire Brigade, Palace Cinema, and Pet Shop, and of those Pet shop is my favorite. I love how you can disconnect them and move it around, I almost want to buy another for the apartment building. The detective office and Persian Restaurant look great, and like they could be my new favorites, but you don't want to pass on the Pet Shop and regret it when it unexpectedly gets discontinued.
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 282
    I have built TH, PC, PS, and justhe finished the parisian. I'll agree the pet shop was good, I almost didn't buy the restraint but I amust glad I did. It was fantastic seeing it come together. Get what you like but they are all unique in there own way. Like has been said. If you think you are going to want them all eventually start with the petshop since it will probably be the next to go. I live in Japan so I have at least a 2 week wait for the detective office to get here. In the mean time I am challenging myself with making a singular module (size of one of the buildings in petshop)out of only the parts in the bike shop / cafe.
  • BritcomBritcom Member Posts: 28
    I have a number of the Modulars now, Café Corner, Green Grocer, Grand Emporium, Parisian Restaurant, and, although not an official Modular, Market Street. By far my favourite is the Parisian Restaurant. The level of detail in this model is amazing and I feel it really captures the essence of France. My least favourite is Market Street, followed by Café Corner, mainly due to the lack of interiors and detail. Although on the plus side Market Street can be split into two separate models. I only use the house section in my display, as a gap filler. I redesigned the market half and, with a few extra bits, turned it into an entrance to a Rose Garden.
  • Lego91Lego91 GermanyMember Posts: 86
    I have the Grand Emporium, Parisian Restaurant, Pet Shop, Fire Brigade, Palace Cinema and Town Hall. Buying the Detective Office sometime later this year.

This is my list:
    1: Pet Shop
    2: Fire Brigade
    3. Grand Emporium / Palace Cinema
    4. Parisian Restaurant
    5. Town Hall

Town Hall is my least favourite because the outside looks rather boring compared to the other ones. Fire Brigade is awesome because of the fire truck & I love the garage. (Plus it has the birth year of my Grandpa on it, which makes it extra special for me). I love the Grand Emporium maybe a tiny bit more than the Palace Cinema because of the window cleaners on the outside.

I could kick my ass for not buying the Cafè Corner (which was still available when I slowly started to collect LEGO). So choose wisely. ;-)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    Pitfall69 said:

Oh no!!! @Legoboy‌ is "like-whoring" again ;)

I'm hormonal.
    carlqPitfall69MorkManjasor
  • draco1122draco1122 Member Posts: 10
    Well I decided to order the Pet Shop. I do like the fact that it can be split. My next purchase will probably be the Parisian Restaurant.
    zipsforbananasyys4u
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    I'd add another vote to the Pet Shop, it was my first, I've got all of them back to the Green Grocer since and it is still pretty much my favourite. I think it would go really well with the two latest ones too, I hope you like it.
  • martinbmartinb Member Posts: 12
    Well I'm going to buy my first modular building set and this thread is just-in-time for me. :-)

I have just one additional question: what is the detail level of previous modular buildings (Pet Shop, Town Hall, Cinema Palace) comparing it to Parisian Restaurant and Detective's Office? When I read the instructions I was getting the impression that PS, TH and CP are not so "detailed" as in case of PR and DO. But I got this impression only by reading instructions, so I do not know how it is in case of a real, assembled product.
    ^The latest two have really stepped up the detailing, I'd say from the Fire Brigade onwards they all have reasonable to good interiors, but the DA and particularly the PR are in a different league compared (though I'm only going from the pics on the DA myself). Your impression seems pretty accurate to me. :)
    martinb
  • LegonizerLegonizer San Diego, CAMember Posts: 39
    I'm very surprised by people's recommendations! I've collected every modular, and by far the Green Grocer is the best, my vote for the best LEGO set ever made. Of the currently commercially available ones, I haven't got the detective one yet (intend to buy it tomorrow), but the parisian restaurant is the best of those I've built. I can't believe people like the pet shop so much, for me it's my my third least favorite (just better than market street and cafe corner).
  • bigjsdbigjsd Member Posts: 62
    Everyone has their favorites for various reasons. I can tell you the one you will want the most is the one you decide to pass on as soon as it is retired. If possible I would avoid purchasing any of them if you can because once you start it's like crack. I just bought the Parisian Restaurant with my VIP points and plan on forking out more green for the Detective Agency this month. I'm just thankful Lego doesn't put out great trains every year like the modulars.I would be bankrupt.
    zipsforbananasMorkManTK2012WSWFollowsClosely
    Legonizer said:

I'm very surprised by people's recommendations! I've collected every modular, and by far the Green Grocer is the best, my vote for the best LEGO set ever made. Of the currently commercially available ones, I haven't got the detective one yet (intend to buy it tomorrow), but the parisian restaurant is the best of those I've built. I can't believe people like the pet shop so much, for me it's my my third least favorite (just better than market street and cafe corner).

I may need to reread the thread, but I think most of us are only including recent Modular Buildings or at least Modular Buildings that are available now and ones that have just retired. I love the Green Grocer as well, but most people don't have $900-1,000 USD to grab one.

zipsforbananas
    ^Absolutely, I read "currently commercially available" as very much assumed.
    FollowsClosely
    Pet Shop, Cinema Palace, Parisian Restaurant & Detective's Office has been purchased... This is going to be a very extreme building...
    MrJ_NYPurplorosAdzbadboyzipsforbananasparadisiaRainstorm26SirBenLostInTranslation
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    I purchased my first 2 modulars,got the Grand Emporium at a decent price & waiting for my Pet Shop to arrive.The Town Hall just isn't that appealing to me,especially at the prices it's going for now.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,143
    My first modular has been the Palace Cinema because I really like the look of it, but am not very far on building it (I basically have the sidewalk done).

I bought my fiance the Parisian Restaurant, and I almost want to buy one of those for myself just to build it after seeing the result of just bag 1.

Depending on how much I like the Palace Cinema, I may try and grab the Pet Shop. The Detective Agency looks really detailed to me, but I'm not completely sure whether I want it or not.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    draco1122 said:

So I have mainly collected the the Superhero sets over the years but I'm really like the looks of some of the modular sets. What do you guys recommend as the first set? I have seen that the pet shop may be the next one retired but of all of them out right now it looks to be my least favorite. I really like the Parisian Restaurant since I love cooking but the Detective set also looks really interesting. Any thoughts on which one would be a good starter build for getting into modular would be appreciated.

Only you can answer your question... ;-)

If only interested in the currently available sets, I think that leaves 4 to choose from.
    Detective's Office
    Parisian Restaurant
    Palace Cinema
    Pet Shop

Ask yourself some questions...

Why do you want a modular?
    Do you just want one & see if you like them, and maybe want more?
    Or do you want them all?
    Which one do you like the best?
    What is your disposal income? (not meant for you to answer publicly)

After that, here's my suggestion... get the one that you think you like the most. Then if you catch the bug, and you want to get more and can afford it right away, get the Pet Shop before it's gone, and then the other two. Since the Detective's Office is the newest, you can wait the longest for it. But if it turns out you're not into the modulars after building the first one, you can stop and at least have the one you really wanted.

MrJ_NYFollowsClosely
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,509
    edited January 2015

The Detective Agency looks really detailed to me, but I'm not completely sure whether I want it or not.

Want it you will.
    yys4u
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    Legogeek said:

After that, here's my suggestion... get the one that you think you like the most. Then if you catch the bug, and you want to get more and can afford it right away, get the Pet Shop before it's gone, and then the other two. Since the Detective's Office is the newest, you can wait the longest for it. But if it turns out you're not into the modulars after building the first one, you can stop and at least have the one you really wanted.

This is the technique I am using. I got DO to see if I like them... Once I build it, I'm going to decide if I like it or not... And how well can my children destroy it. If all goes well, by the end of the month I will possess the Pet Shop. That will hopefully seal the deal with my wife, and then it will be the Parisian Restaurant and then Palace Cinema (since we will need a corner!).
    I built 90% of the HH before taking it back and hearing of them destroy it and put it into grab bags (long story for another thread), so I believe these new modulars will be fun.
    Good Luck OP!
    As probably everybody knows the Town Hall and Grand Emporium are "sold out" for months. But what is the reason for keeping them displayed on the shop.lego.com website? Does it mean that these sets will be available again some day in the future?
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,615
    Yeah it's odd my LEGO Store has Pet Shop on display but they discontinued it. They also displayed the Detective's Office with the front of top floor at the back. They are so lost :P
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 282
    What they told me about a week ago on the phone is that they discount them and leave them up when they are retired. That way when they do their new year warehouse clean they can just scan them into inventory if they find any or have returns and they get clearanced out.
    Adzbadboy said:

Yeah it's odd my LEGO Store has Pet Shop on display but they discontinued it.

I think you might be a little early with that comment.... ;)
    It's only been two months since they end-of-lined Grand Emporium and Town Hall, I'd be surprised if they EOL another this soon... but then I suppose I was quite surprised they EOLed Town Hall! :P
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,615
    ^^OK, but why the hell did they discontinue the January 2014 sets? They normally stick around for at least two years maybe three years.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,111
    Looking for patterns in what TLG do and why is never a good idea. Without having their sales figures etc there's very little point even speculating, but the obvious answer is they decided it was in their best interest for making good profit.
    Adzbadboy said:

Yeah it's odd my LEGO Store has Pet Shop on display but they discontinued it. They also displayed the Detective's Office with the front of top floor at the back. They are so lost :P

Adzbadboy said:

Yeah it's odd my LEGO Store has Pet Shop on display but they discontinued it.

I think you might be a little early with that comment.... ;)
    It's only been two months since they end-of-lined Grand Emporium and Town Hall, I'd be surprised if they EOL another this soon... but then I suppose I was quite surprised they EOLed Town Hall! :P
    Yeah, Pet Shop is still available or should be.

• SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Its currently OOS till the 27th Jan on [email protected] UK.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,143

The Detective Agency looks really detailed to me, but I'm not completely sure whether I want it or not.

Want it you will.
    It's growing on me. Chances are I'll probably end up building that one and my fiance will build the Pet Shop if we get them.

My next big purchase however will be the Sandcrawler, which is going to cost me about $100 out of pocket due to my VIP rewards and Christmas money. I'm just waiting for a Double Points day, and then will probably put those points towards either the Pet Shop or Detective's Office.
  • afireinsideafireinside MichiganMember Posts: 38
    Were in the same boat really. We started with the Haunted House, we recently did the Simpsons house. Now we want modulars. May have to start with the Pet Shop since it is one we want anyhow. What is the consensus of most recent to be Discontinued? Id love the Fire Birgade since I am a Firefighter but were not into paying $350+ USD...... may have to pick a brick on that one.
    ^Pick-a-Brick will be expensive. Use Bricklink instead. If you only care about the exterior, you can probably Bricklink just the building pretty cheap without interior details and Minifigures.
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 680
    Lets face it. If you've got the money spare, any of the modulars are amongst the best sets going. I don't think anyone would be unhappy tipping out all those bags from those big boxes. I have two modulars that I bought, and one that I won (GG, PE & GE) and they've all been incredible, fun builds. If only lego would discount them occasionally I would have more.
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 478
    I agree with Pitfall69; for ordinary bricks I've always found BrickLink much cheaper than Pick-a-Brick or Bricks and Pieces. However, for details (such as horse head armor, unprinted heads, or special torso/leg assemblies of *non-licenced* minifigs) either of the [email protected] alternatives can be your best bet. It's worth comparing all the prices you can before getting started.
    Ya we really just want the building the special pieces we dont care as much about. I saw a modded 5 bay custom someone did. But what do we think are the soonest that will be retired?
    Retired? Explain.
    Next to go would normally be Pet Shop, but given recent events, who knows?
    edited January 2015
    ^^^The oldest is the Pet Shop (2011), next oldest is Palace Cinema (2013), then the Parisian Restaurant (last year), and of course the Detective Agency is new.
    But add to that mix that Pet Shop is a favourite of many (with a few exceptions!) and seems to be a strong seller, and Palace Cinema is quite unpopular for a modular.

It would be unthinkable for Parisian Restaurant to be retired so soon after coming out, and given it's phenomenal reception.
    I reckon you can count out Detective Agency because it's brand new too!
    So it will definitely be either Pet Shop or Palace Cinema.

Out of those two it will most likely be Pet Shop because it's 2 years older, but it's not unthinkable that they would retire Palace Cinema next if Pet Shop is outselling it. Being in its fifth year Pet Shop may well be getting to the point where sales drop because everyone who wants one has got one though.
    And actually, the only time a modular has been retired out of order before now, two were retired at once. So I'd say you can be 90% sure it'll be Pet Shop next, with an outside chance of it being Palace Cinema instead, or even both together.
    What do people think? Fair summary?
    (To be honest, I can't believe I wrote that much about it! There are only four, it seems pretty self evident to me. Good job words on the internet are free! :P)
    FollowsClosely
    edited January 2015
    Sounds fair to me, zipsforbananas!

I certainly won't be buying Palace Cinema; I'm MOCing a modular equivalent of the Art Deco one in Town Plan instead. I'm definitely looking forward to building my Pet Shop when I get the time, though!
    zipsforbananas
    I just tried to add but ran out of edit time, I don't think any modular has ever been available for longer than 5 years, not many sets have at all, the Death Star 10188 maybe. So make it 99% Pet Shop, with an outside chance of the Palace Cinema too.
    Ok wellllll went to order Pet Shop and OOS in just the last hour or so..... Says be back in stock in 30 days. Called my lego store they said that if it says 30 days then it will be back in stock online only not in store. Dose that sound correct? Should we order now and wait 30 days or wait 30 days then order when it is back in?
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,385
    edited January 2015
    Well, I typically buy an extra of every modular. PPP is good and it's a good start for MOCing a custom modular building. You can also pool the parts from different modulars to make something unique.

I still need an extra PC, PR and DO.

Ya we really just want the building the special pieces we dont care as much about. I saw a modded 5 bay custom someone did. But what do we think are the soonest that will be retired?

^^^The oldest is the Pet Shop (2011), next oldest is Palace Cinema (2013), then the Parisian Restaurant (last year), and of course the Detective Agency is new.
    But add to that mix that Pet Shop is a favourite of many (with a few exceptions!) and seems to be a strong seller, and Palace Cinema is quite unpopular for a modular.

It would be unthinkable for Parisian Restaurant to be retired so soon after coming out, and given it's phenomenal reception.
    I reckon you can count out Detective Agency because it's brand new too!
    So it will definitely be either Pet Shop or Palace Cinema.

Out of those two it will most likely be Pet Shop because it's 2 years older, but it's not unthinkable that they would retire Palace Cinema next if Pet Shop is outselling it. Being in its fifth year Pet Shop may well be getting to the point where sales drop because everyone who wants one has got one though.
    And actually, the only time a modular has been retired out of order before now, two were retired at once. So I'd say you can be 90% sure it'll be Pet Shop next, with an outside chance of it being Palace Cinema instead, or even both together.
    What do people think? Fair summary?
    (To be honest, I can't believe I wrote that much about it! There are only four, it seems pretty self evident to me. Good job words on the internet are free! :P)

I guess I got tunnel vision on my smartphone. I didn't really understand the question because he was talking about a 5 bay Fire Brigade and I thought he meant when that was going to be retired. My bad :(

• LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479

Ok wellllll went to order Pet Shop and OOS in just the last hour or so..... Says be back in stock in 30 days. Called my lego store they said that if it says 30 days then it will be back in stock online only not in store. Dose that sound correct? Should we order now and wait 30 days or wait 30 days then order when it is back in?

Are you talking about the UK store? Looks in stock on the USA store.