Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Old Capes Vs. New '2015' Capes?

AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,702
Many people are looking forward to the new DC Comics sets. However their is a small surprise: new 'Soft' capes. I personally don't like the look of them they make the figures look really cheap. 'MGF Customs/Reviews' goes in depth in his review about the new capes in the first half of his review.

What do you think? Will you be replacing them with the old capes? Hopefully these new capes are not a permanent transition.

Comments

• yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Very unfortunate... I don't have these sets but the cape does look cheap and I love the traditional capes. I feel overall LEGO is going for cost effectiveness in new sets and I am noticing lesser quality in some parts. Even family members that aren't adult fans like I, when they handle some of my newer sets or figures, they usually comment on how it feels "cheaper" than the LEGO they grew up with.
    Crownie
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    I don't care for the capes in so far as they probably won't withstand the test of time; love them for the same reason. In play, the holes will stretch and tear. In a decade they'll be extremely pricey when tomorrow's collectors want the Minifigs they grew up with and with all their original parts. The very best thing I've seen is the new neck piece with double studs. Lots of possibilities there!
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,466
    I actually like them. Look at how the current capes crinkle when put into the vehicles etc. I like that I'll have a mix of soft and sturdier capes depending on what I'm using them for.
    plasmodiumgmonkey76AndorAanchir
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    edited December 2014
    ^ Good point. I can't tell you how many times Bruce Wayne got stuck transforming into Batman inside his lift ie. Batcave
    Shib
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    I like the new capes...I don't find anything off about their looks....the problem I have is only that when you put them on they seem to be a little difficult around the neck.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,769
    Haven't seen the new capes in person yet, but I like the fact that the new cape will fit over chairs and other things without getting creases.
  • Rolyat24Rolyat24 PA, USAMember Posts: 41
    I can't wait to see these in person. I don't mind how they look, but I'll wait for a full judgement once I actually have them in hand.
    Andor
  • slyreptileslyreptile United StatesMember Posts: 15
    Having not seen the new capes in person yet, I can't say for certain. But watching the video, I found myself disagreeing with him. I think like the new capes better. They look easier to put on and seem less prone to bending/creases than the old capes.
    gmonkey76
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    The new capes actually appear to be the same material, just not heavily starched and pressed. Was this an intentional change or was it perhaps an accident that will be corrected? They are much easier to put on and only problematic when the wig goes over the cape, ala Supergirl because it stretches quite a bit.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Everyone brought up good points about the new capes not creasing when seating a minifigure. I guess that makes sense, I usually build my sets and then separate the caped figures and never really put them in the vehicle or whatever so don't experience that problem. But it makes sense, I guess a mix of both would be cool. But I don't like how thick the new cape looks on the neck of the minifigures...
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    okay I'm seeing what I don't like about the new capes...they cover the necks up which seems odd. Otherwise I like them.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 923
    As mentioned, it does help when hair goes over the top of them. Batgirl, Elrond, Galadriel all crinkle their capes because of the back hair. It looks like Supergirl will still "crease" it because of the hair, but it the cape will come out more unscathed.

The neck area definitely is thicker, so that is disappointing. I'd prefer if the cape pattern was continuous with some of the others where there is only ONE hole. It'd keep it thinner, but still retain the new material.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,616
    I just hate capes in general, but soft capes seem like a good idea, if we have to have them anyway.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,976
    edited December 2014
    Vitruvius from The LEGO Movie sets had a soft cape. I actually like it. Softer capes are more realistic than the older capes, and are more flexible. So as long as they aren't somehow less resilient than the old starched capes, bring it on!

I can't even comprehend why softer capes would seem "cheap". Seems to me that you'd expect a more expensive product to have higher quality. And in the case of a cape, higher quality means MORE flexibility, not LESS.
    AndorMODVLEX
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    Aanchir said:

Vitruvius from The LEGO Movie sets had a soft cape.

Lol, I learnt this not 10 minutes ago putting my little one to bed. Yes, I know it is late. I then went on to recall HP's invisibility cloak. That was very similar, no?
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    I prefer a study cape, as I feel they are less likely to fray. My concern with these new capes is that they look to me like they're made of felt, which is something I would not be ok with. If they are soft in the way that Vitruvius's cape is, or the S12 Wizard, or Galadriel, then I am fine with the change.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    I didn't think the cape thing was a big deal. Then I opened 76027. Black Manta was cool, the batman print was nice, then I took out the cape and it was terribly soft. I felt like I was gonna rip it when I was putting it on.