Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

31036 Toy & Grocery Shop

yg77yg77 Member Posts: 32
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Toy-Grocery-Shop-31036

Has this been discussed before? Looks pretty nice.

Comments

• margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    And #31035 Beach House. I like them too.
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 514
    Just found at local tru. Underwhelmed
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    Yeah, they're really just putting up a front in an attempt to look cool next to the modulars, but we can see right through them.
    Pitfall69BrickDancercarlqdragwitJenniAdeelZubairjasorklatu003GreenArrow57
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,105
    edited December 2014

Just found at local tru. Underwhelmed

Yeah, really tiny for what it is.
    Not horrible if it can be had on sale and you have a LEGO store/PaB wall in your neighborhood so you can add on. Or you put it on the other side of the DO mod.

I'll still be waiting for it to go lower in price. The one nice thing about these creator sets, they are not exclusives. Guessing these will be had for around 27.99- 29.99 USD on sale in the future.

slovakiasteph
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 838
    I'm guessing you could get multiples and modularise it with help from PAB and Bricklink?
    Kevin_Hyatt
    I do actually really like the parts in here. Brown doors, tan frames, sand green bricks...really nice selection overall.

Also, all grocery stores must be sand green from now on, apparently.
    Jenni
  • NikaliptusNikaliptus AustraliaMember Posts: 27
    It seems to be masquerading as similar in style to 2014's Bike Shop & Cafe ( #31026 ), aka a poor man's Modular, but at about half the piece-count (of Bike Shop), it really seems to be mainly facade (as others have already stated above).

Based on the photos on [email protected], I actually like the look of the alternate Post Office, or Newsstand builds better than the main Toy/Grocery option.

I still plan to pick both this, and #31035 'Beach *Hut*' (not 'House', as that name was already used for 2008's #4996 ) up at some point, but will wait for a reasonable sale price before lashing out...
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    I'm kinda disappointed they didnt build Toy/Grocery Shop like #31026 Bike Shop. I grabbed one of those, and built the Bike Shop/Cafe combo. They are no Mods, but really fun build and still a convo piece to be had with others. My daughter enjoyed building #31026 as well, since it was half the pieces of a Modular. She built one full building, and got really excited she had the patience to finish it on her own. :D
    Jenni
    Nephews are getting the #31026 for Christmas actually. Nice little 'big' city type set.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    I have to agree with what others like @Nikaliptus and @jasor are saying.
    #31026 was on the right track for design, but the facade design of #31036 is disappointing - however the alternate builds seem to be better in the sense of a 'complete' building. If I get 31036, it will be when it is on sale or discounted. I'm a bit more positive about the Beach Hut #31035, but still not thrilled by it's diminutive size.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    I'm not a huge MOC builder; are there parts in these sets that make them worthwhile to buy?
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    I kinda feel like I'd need two sets, so I could make them 'beefier'. As for the 31026 bike shop, I do like it and have it, but I wish I had three sets so I could build all three versions and connect them for a street of shops. The Beach Hut, 31035, doesn't interest me much, but maybe when I can see all three versions, I'll like it better.
    Pitfall69 said:

I'm not a huge MOC builder; are there parts in these sets that make them worthwhile to buy?

I think there are, but not sure the price is justified.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 724
    These are a very nice continuation of the Creator 3 in 1 line. The shops are a change up from the houses. [http://brickset.com/sets/list-10913] The open design gives access to the interior for play, for children. The price seems within the normal range for this line.
    Loved the facade and see through jokes.
    Pitfall69 said:

I primarily do my own modulars, so the windows are nice to have. Those doors in reddish brown have only ever been in one other set (the Black Pearl) and that's obviously a super useful color to have them in. Tan window and door frames are not exactly rare, but it's also a good color for building with. Sand green and dark blue are also good colors, although there really is not much brick in this set.

I'm not psyched about this set at $40, but I could see picking up a few to break down if I found it on sale. At the very least, I'm hoping it brings down the price of those doors on BL. I've wanted more in that color for awhile and apparently not many copies of the BP got parted out (or the inventory is all gone).
    Pitfall69
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    Looks like this is built just like the Bike Shop & Cafe; it's just one building instead of two. Like both of the buildings in that set, this one is hinged so that you can have it either open-backed or fully enclosed.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Plell said:

Looks like this is built just like the Bike Shop & Cafe; it's just one building instead of two. Like both of the buildings in that set, this one is hinged so that you can have it either open-backed or fully enclosed.

@Plell, you know, I think you are right. It does appear (barely) that there is a hinge plate on the center bottom between the two building 'facades'

I still think the price is too much, but I am even more curious to see it first hand now.
  • thehornedratthehornedrat Member Posts: 86
    Its quite obvious that to do a modular style building with this you need to buy multiples of this set, unfortunately the price per piece wise is still more expensive than a proper modular. So i'd wait for a sale to buy in bulk to modularize. But for children to play, one will suffice. Its as if LEGO is trying to make some sort of middle ground, but still misses the mark.
  • LEGOBOBA99LEGOBOBA99 Member Posts: 22
    It's cool but small.
    Saw it in person at TRU over the weekend, not impressive in person either. It is not a bad set, if it were cheaper by about 10 dollars IMO.
    ThirdBuckEye