Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How Does Your Spouse, Family, Friends, CoWorkers or Significant Others Deal With Your LEGO Hobby?

brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
edited December 2011 in Collecting
After 4 large boxes arrived on our doorstep this morning, my wife asked me: "How about you just limit yourself to just one LEGO set per week?" I just smiled, and she dropped it. I didn't have the heart to tell her that another box is expected to arrive today.

So my questions are:
Do your friends or coworkers know about your LEGO hobby?

How does your spouse or family or friends or significant others deal with the space required to store and build?

I'm lucky - my wife supports me, or at least chooses to selectively ignore aspects of this hobby.
-Dan

Comments

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited December 2011
    Do your friends or coworkers know about your LEGO hobby?
    they dont really, no, although we had an unexpected visit over the weekend and the 6 tower bridges in the living room which had arrived this week kind of gave it away. said friend was not impressed.
    i prefer to keep it quiet if possible - I work on the assumption that most people dont understand/ think your mad, and this weekend reaffirmed that!
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I'm out and proud! I even bought my workmates a lego advent calendar to share, they are dillgently taking it in turns to open it. Though we are a bunch of mad scientists, so perhaps they have more child in them than the average adult.
    I'm out on facebook, though I don't bang on about it, just share the odd pic, and peeps send me links constantly. I think being confident about it and why you like it (I've always been a crafter, and I need something I can obsess about so I don't worry about things that are out of my control).
    As for the amount of boxes...yeah, I can't even hide it from the delivery guys. So. Much. Lego!
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,356
    ^ Like you I'm Out and Proud. My wife does think I am 'nut' (can't actually use the real words on a public forum :)) but mostly she leaves me too and even buys the odd bit of Lego for me. My office actually like it and I have done the advent calendar for the office for 4 years now and proud to say i have gotten several co-workers hooked as well so now there are a few of us in the office, that said the guys in the post room are not fans of mine...
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 832
    I'm definitely out - the Death Star arrived via work the other day and everyone else was hugely intrigued as to what this giant box was - so I showed them and everyone was impressed, slightly mocking and the chaps were mostly jealous... I collect Transformers too so my friends and family are all used to this sort of behaviour now!
  • trypticontrypticon Member Posts: 61
    My fiance complains about it, constantly. She wants her downstairs back, which I don't blame her for, since the collection takes up around like s600 square feet here. There's more upstairs hogging just about every closet space, too. There's even boxes of boxes out in the garage taking up many shelves. I get a lot of heat for it from her, and she uses it as an example of how generous she is every time I start to complain about something.
  • bixtrix77bixtrix77 Member Posts: 53
    Well I think my work mates may be sussing me out now. I have a few sun freebie lego on display at my desk and I'm sort of using my new found love of animation to gently come out. I even talked my better half into helping build the winter post office last night. I do keep it relatively quiet as many won't understand.
  • jocappyjocappy Member Posts: 207
    The best part of people knowing you are into Lego is that they give you Lego.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,302
    My Gf goes to the LEGO store with me and hits the PaB wall (and not in a 'Darn you for taking my BF away' either) to fill up a cup

People normally do not buy me LEGO, because they know I buy it myself :-)
  • DavidRod8DavidRod8 Member Posts: 143
    My wife supports me, but if I get home before she does, I put the boxes away before she sees it... from time to time she'll say something, but I just figure she doesn't have to know it all ;)
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    I tell everyone, I have pics all over my facebook, I also ask weekly on facebook for friends to give me their old star wars and Lego toys. My coworkers know and occasionally one will give me a hard time but A: I could care less what anyone thinks and B: I just explain that its my hobby and I could care less what they think :-). I work as an electronics systems technician and even talk to people on jobs. A month ago or so I was in a house and a boy maybe 8 or so had just finished building the Taj mahal. After I told him I was a bit jealous I informed him what it was worth....kind of funny watching the wheels turn. So anyways, loud and proud for me and much happier because of it.
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    Sorry about the long post, but the topic made me feel like talking about the issue on how people perceive my favorite hobby...

Before LEGO I was into Slot Cars (Scalextric/SCX/Carrera 1/32), and was spending huge amounts of money into it since some cars could go for US$50. I even bought a rare 1988 Ayrton Senna's McLaren F1 car on eBay from a guy in England back in 2004 for GBP 100, and my wife thought I was nuts. All my friends found the hobby somewhat cool, but childish. My wife's friends looks kept her ashamed every time I showed my collection. I soon realized that was something I should keep as a secret. Then I started collecting HeroClix and Hasbro's HeroScape. Apart from my wife, nobody else ever knew. Then I moved with my family to the US in 2006, and left my collectibles behind back home in Brazil. After 3 years without collecting anything I got into LEGO to fill that void.

Needless to say that in the past 2 years I've spent more with LEGO than anything else I've ever collected on my entire life. It's a serious addiction because I can't go to Wal-Mart or Target without buying at least a $3.99 polybag. LEGO has that magic about it. It's quite expensive to collect seriously, but you don't need to sell a kidney or a liver to be into LEGO. There are ways to collect spending just a little bit everyday, and that made my collection increase over time.

Apart from a few Creator houses and a couple Ferrari sets she gave me for my birthday in 2009, my wife was a bit clueless concerning my addiction. I purchased most of what i have now hidden from her, because she was not very fond of the idea, when she gave those Ferrari sets and she saw i was getting very enthusiastic about LEGO. I let pass by Green Grocer and Cafe Corner because I couldn't justify to her spending $100+ on a building toy for myself.

One day she started opening boxes in the garage and saw about $3000 worth of small ($3 to $40) LEGO sets hidden in there, and all hell broke loose. That was last year. Since then I showed her that this hobby has several advantages over the others, specially because I can practice it including my 4 and 6 year old kids, it develops their little brains, etc. It is now on the point that she's become supportive of the hobby, and thinks it's not a problem to purchase $150-$200 sets. That's also due to the fact that our financial situation improved considerably the past year.

Now as far as everyone else, I keep my hobby/addiction away from the eyes of friends, clients and family members (I don't have co-workers), because they will not understand. When someone comes to the house and see me assembling a set, I tell it's for the kids, and everything seems "normal". I'd never show everything I have to people that's not into LEGO or does not live inside my house. I'd like to be open about it, after all nobody is paying my bills so I shouldn't care about them, but I will not, because I finally brought my wife to my side, and i don't want people's looks to spoil it.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    Originally I told no one not even the wife eventually I plucked up the courage to tell her and even managed to buy a few sets eventually. I told her I was building a collection for when my little boy is older, certain sets like the ucs sets I hide as she would go mad due to cost and those sets clearly being for me. I use this same reasoning on friends (with children) and they think it's a good idea as lego is increasingly expensive and they actually think it's a good idea to build the collection while it remains at today's prices instead of trying to build a collection in 5 yrs time. Work colleagues took the michael at first but now just talk to me about it quite openly but I don't go on about it too much or they might start to think it's more than a small hobby with the occasional set purchase, oh if they only knew what my collection was really like and that I go to the lego store in stratford weekly and feel cmf polybags in tesco's everytime I go!
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
  • duilimduilim Member Posts: 61
    I'm out and proud about it too! Most of my friends and co workers think i'm mad but i really don't care. My wife tolerates it, although she probably isn't aware of how much i have stashed at my parents place. The way i see it is that whilst most of my friends spend their money on iphones, macbooks and cameras, I prefer to spend it on Lego. Helps me de stress and keeps me sane!
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    Out and proud! It starts with confused looks at work and then when you mention that Cafe Corner is worth a few quid they soon develop a bit of an interest!
    Some 'friends' were derisory in their comments on FB but that all changed when I started including people in the pics I post. Now it is fun for all!
    My wife and kids like it. My wife is even sourcing an antique cabinet so I can display in the living room. Death Star and IF are my Xmas presents. ;)
    A a slight aside I now get asked by friends what to get for their kids and could they come over to show my 'lego loft' to them and their children.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,720
    People know I'm a fan, but think they would be shocked/amazed to see how much I actually have (not as much as some on here by a long mile... but more than a 'normal' 29year old man would have left over from childhood). I always justify it to them by comparing it to (the cost of) someones DVD collection or amount spent on alcohol and sports tickets each week. Someone spending/obsession seems more socially acceptable so I tend to squirrel things away and just drip feed the odd set or picture onto facebook (Christmas is a great excuse for a Santa or Nativity moc using 'a few pieces I had lying about'...).
  • airways09airways09 Bournemouth, UKMember Posts: 30
    My gf knows i'm a bit of an addict and will willingly spend spare cash on Lego sets. A few people know I am a fan but not aware of just how much!! A few work colleagues clocked on when I displayed an xmas tree and santa minifigure on my desk in an attempt to decorate for the holidays. Unfortunately i haven't got space atm to keep my existing lego sets let alone buying new sets but my gf understands that oneday, there may be a large withdrawal from the bank account and a whole lotta parcels arriving!!!
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 537
    My wife likes LEGO. It has a fun and creative quality that she finds constructive, especially with two young boys around. We are in a purchasing mode right now because we are both too busy to spend a large chunk of time just building as a whole family. But soon the boxes will begin to open and the madness will begin. People know we love LEGO at our house, though, and I use it in some of my teaching, where I can. Many of my friends are artists that already collect those designer vinyl toys like Qee and Dunny, so I think they will mostly find it fascinating.

If you don't want the wife to be angry with you, though, I offer two points that really matter in our household and have served us well:

1. Be Honest with your spouse/financial partner
    2. Have a LEGO budget item in your house finances.
    Andor
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    Well, my wife is responsible for awakening me from my deep slumber of the dark ages. She had purchased a NIB Catapult Crusher (6032) from a garage sale after my second boy arrived. She thought it would be a cute way to show me she still thinks about me...

--ahhhh... some get Victoria's Secret, I got LEGO. I was not disappointed.

Not sure if she still feels the same as now (a couple of years later) as she threatens to vacuum up any and all LEGO pieces on the floor. She runs a tight ship - and expects us to keep the floor clean and clear and put the LEGO back in their respective spots.

However, as she puts it, there could be worse things that I am into. In fact, come Christmas morn, she will be there with her three boys putting together the new sets that Santa has delivered. Plus, every Friday night is LEGO night for the boys as mom enjoys her 'alone' time.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    ^ I always build in A3 plastic trays, it really helps.
    http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b20_0litre2xLT06.php