Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Disney Frozen set - new Princess sets - any one find them

Comments

• Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Seems like you need to ask someone knowledgeable at Target.
  • veign06veign06 USAMember Posts: 137

Definitely a weird request, but will anyone that has been fortunate enough to find the set be able to post the box dimensions and set weight? I am trying to determine if some of the shipping charges on the eBay listings are accurate or also marked up.

Just got home with it, dont have a scale to weigh it but the size is about 10.5x10.5x2.25. Its only 292 pieces so its not very heavy. Seems like I just paid about $15 extra just for the popularity and licensing but my daughter will be blown away and its better than that $100-150 on ebay.
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 373
    I managed to pick up a copy for my little ones tonight. That inventory checker is great. Finally found a store that showed as having it in stock and how to find it! I see more stores showing stock than I did this morning, so either they are getting trucks in today, or they are scanning in inventory. My store sold out quickly, so calling ahead is worthwhile to see if they will hold one for you.
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 373
    I just weighed mine, and it came in a touch over 1 pound, 2 ounces. So if someone is shipping priority mail from across the country the shipping would be a bit high. I'm in NC, so I know shipping to the west coast can quickly skyrocket.
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    edited December 2014

One thing about what Captain Rex said though.....I want to get this for my daughter for Christmas very, VERY badly....but I am not paying some scumbag $120. I wouldn't mind a slight markup, but a $60 to $80 dollar markup is criminal. I'm sure they'll sell to someone though, which is what keeps the scalpers going.

Sorry. This is kind of a soapbox subject for me...

The thing is, the fee ebay charges (14% of the total sale and the shipping price along with an insertion fee) along with what paypal charges to accept payment (4.5%) necessitates that type of markup. A set that retails for $60 (plus tax so $65 really) and sells for $120 on that secondary market only profits the seller about $25 once all the fees and shipping charges and cost for supplies come out of the total you pay. You can't call that scalping. That's a margin of less than 40%. Retail stores have a margin of around 65% on LEGO!

Here's the numbers so it's easier to see on that hypothetical ebay sale:

$120 selling price
    $10 shipping charge
    ----------
    $130
    -14%
    ----------
    $111.80
    -$65 (initial investment)
    ----------
    $46.80
    -$7.80 (paypal)
    -----------
    $39
    -$10 (shipping cost)
    -----------
    $29
    -4.50 (shipping supplies, e.g. box, packing material, tape, etc)
    -----------
    $24.50
    -$.30 (listing fee)
    -----------
    $24.20 total profit

Yet in every collectible community I've been a part of there's a ton of bashing the ebay seller referring to them as "scalpers". I've not yet once seen anyone complain about how much retail is making off you. It's unreasonable to think someone would sell something of diminished supply and massive demand for less under those circumstances. When I see people who ARE selling for less I always wonder if it's either stolen or knockoff merchandise.

Stepping off the soapbox now...

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited December 2014
    Which all makes you wonder why they don't just leave it on the shelves for an actual consumer to purchase? Because they're aholes who'll make someone pay double on a kids christmas gift so they can make $25.

Shops take a hefty percentage but they employ staff, pay taxes, pay pensions, pay rent, advertise, distribute Lego around the country and have to take a wide range of lego sets not just pick and choose the winners. They'll make far less than 25$ on a set and do so whilst staying under RRP (except TRU) and providing a genuine service.

As an aside, I thought eBay was 10%, PayPal was 3% (although i could be well out of touch on those) and who spends 4.50 on a box to send a smallish Lego set (a modular or something perhaps)?
    margotweevinteal93mr2veign06Jern92beemoDraug
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    edited December 2014
    To properly answer that would involve breaking several site rules (politics, socio economics, etc), which I wont, but I'll sum it up. An individual who sells hot toys on ebay to supplement their income in that they can pay their bills and feed their family is far from an ahole. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be as blessed as others. For some, a measly $25 is the equivalent to a tenth of their weekly pay working full time. And retailers, with their 65% margin on an item costing $60, makes $39 on that item. Perhaps if these benevolent distributors of LEGO paid their own employees enough to live on, there would be fewer "scalpers".

Yeah, ebay is full of the corporate greed as well. They raise their rates every six months or so.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    These last three posts, and this one, should be moved out of this thread ( @Matthew‌ ) but I'm sorry that's rubbish. I doubt the vast majority of Lego resellers are like that. LegoFanTexas‌ was telling us about his expensive holidays and new trucks not overdue bills and feeding his family. We have corporate lawyers reselling, who I doubt have problems paying their heating bills. I'm sure there are some who are on the breadline, although let's hope they're not having to hold on to that expensive stock for long, but even then there are ways to supliment income without screwing over other members of society.

Also not only are your ideas wrong, so are your numbers. You've taken out all the resellers overheads (and even made some up) but haven't taken out a single overhead from the store. The wages, the utilities, tax, pensions, transport, etc. The final margin on retail works out closer to 5%.
    NickF22beemo
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    Well it now says they're are 12 in stock at Gurnee Illinois, but that is still a tad far for me to go...but it seems to change daily who has what so I'll be patient.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    Isn't this a $30 set? Where did the $60 retail come from?
    Lego [email protected] list it as $39.99...I thought it was supposed to be $30 as well
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158

Because they're aholes who'll make someone pay double on a kids christmas gift so they can make $25.

Yes, resellers "make" people pay double, gun to their heads and all...

The market will support whatever it supports--if that means RI is bought for $20 and resold for $60, and because of resellers snatching them up you couldn't get one for $20, too bad for you. You can pay $60, wait and hope for another run, piece it out, or just not get it. Next time, get out of the box earlier and pick yourself up a copy.
    kylejohnson11
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    ^ ^ ^ ^ etc OFFTOPICOFFTOPICOFFTOPIC!!!

Let it go...
    RomanticWarrior
  • davetheoxygenmandavetheoxygenman Colorado, USAMember Posts: 209
    edited December 2014
    Let it go.. wait ...where is the Disney song thread? :)
    Pitfall69
  • shampineshampine Member Posts: 1
    Re: DCPI Checker. I just got some from a Local Target, they were in back, not on shelf. FWIW The site said there were 12, the lady who helped me pulled it up on her handheld and it also said 12. Neat
    waynegg said:

One thing about what Captain Rex said though.....I want to get this for my daughter for Christmas very, VERY badly....but I am not paying some scumbag $120. I wouldn't mind a slight markup, but a $60 to $80 dollar markup is criminal. I'm sure they'll sell to someone though, which is what keeps the scalpers going.

Sorry. This is kind of a soapbox subject for me...

The thing is, the fee ebay charges (14% of the total sale and the shipping price along with an insertion fee) along with what paypal charges to accept payment (4.5%) necessitates that type of markup. A set that retails for $60 (plus tax so $65 really) and sells for $120 on that secondary market only profits the seller about $25 once all the fees and shipping charges and cost for supplies come out of the total you pay. You can't call that scalping. That's a margin of less than 40%. Retail stores have a margin of around 65% on LEGO!

Here's the numbers so it's easier to see on that hypothetical ebay sale:

$120 selling price
    $10 shipping charge
    ----------
    $130
    -14%
    ----------
    $111.80
    -$65 (initial investment)
    ----------
    $46.80
    -$7.80 (paypal)
    -----------
    $39
    -$10 (shipping cost)
    -----------
    $29
    -4.50 (shipping supplies, e.g. box, packing material, tape, etc)
    -----------
    $24.50
    -$.30 (listing fee)
    -----------
    $24.20 total profit

Yet in every collectible community I've been a part of there's a ton of bashing the ebay seller referring to them as "scalpers". I've not yet once seen anyone complain about how much retail is making off you. It's unreasonable to think someone would sell something of diminished supply and massive demand for less under those circumstances. When I see people who ARE selling for less I always wonder if it's either stolen or knockoff merchandise.

Stepping off the soapbox now...

Hate to ruin your soapbox moment but your math is terribly wrong. I just sold a $125 item not long ago and fees (in the US) are nowhere near that. My listings are always free insertion (like 0.30 max anyways unless you are adding bunch of extras), and paypal fees end up being like 3%. Not only that but the set is not $60 retail, its $40 and if you get it with redcard at target like most people, I actually paid no tax essentially. The $125 item I sold (video game collectible from when I was a kid) cost me $10 shipping, 12.50 ebay fees, less than $4 paypal so roughly 26.50 which brought my profit to 98.50 then if it cost $40 that would be right at $60 profit or so on a $130 item. I hate ebay scalpers too but they are making WAY more than $24 profit on these.

Isn't this a $30 set? Where did the $60 retail come from?

Its $40 retail but it should be $25-30 max, we get to pay $10-15 just for the popularity and licensing on this one IMO.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,340
    ^ It includes three entirely new moulded pieces and several parts in new colours, which will add a bit to the cost. In my opinion it is priced quite fairly.
    Shib

^ It includes three entirely new moulded pieces and several parts in new colours, which will add a bit to the cost. In my opinion it is priced quite fairly.

$40 seems fair to me as well, but not $60. As a Frozen fan, I think it's a reasonably priced collectible, but if I were buying for parts that may not be the case, unless you factor in the (likely) high resale value on the character mini-dolls.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    Thank you all for the help finding these. I know four girls that are going to be surprised and happy this Christmas.
    andhe
  • JerseyManiacJerseyManiac Member Posts: 10

I struggled with this. I could clear out two targets near me and I decided against it. I could have probably picked up 32 or so between two stores. I made a personal decision not to. I hope some other little girls get a wonderful gift on Christmas without their parents going in debt.

I applaud you sir.

This clearly isn't the right thread for this, so I'lI be brief. You wanna buy a lego and keep it for a few years and sell it?.....be me guest. You wanna buy a whole box of brand new legos 2 weeks before Christmas....legos meant for little girls mind you....you're a horrible person. Plain and simple. I think most of us here are in agreement about this.

• teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 992
    I agree with @Rainstorm26‌. I found myself in a similar position and only picked up two. Something just is inherently wrong with taking advantage of Christmas toys.
    tamamahmlego007
    teal93mr2 said:

I agree with @Rainstorm26‌. I found myself in a similar position and only picked up two. Something just is inherently wrong with taking advantage of Christmas toys.

Yeah my store had 12 but I only got the one. I didnt even bother with the other new sets b/c I am sure they will be readily available like the current ones...plus my daughter has enough for now lol. I do still have an Amazon preorder locked in, those went surprisingly fast.
    tamamahmlego007
    So if this shows up as in stock on the inventory checker, how do you go about asking for it when you get to the store...there are finally some at a store near me.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Usually you find someone working in the toy area and tell them you are looking for an lego set and have the DPCI but you can't find it. They usually look up the dpci and find their location, typically in the back. The guy that looked it up for me couldn't find it using the dpci listed above and typed in a variant of it and found if. I should have asked him what it was but I was too nervous/ excited.
    dannyrww
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    dannyrww said:

So if this shows up as in stock on the inventory checker, how do you go about asking for it when you get to the store...there are finally some at a store near me.

Ask someone in the electronics dept. if they can get something from the back for you, tell them you have the DPCI.

dannyrww
    dannyrww said:

If you call the front desk, they can have someone get it for you and hold it for you up front as well
    dannyrww
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979
    Thank you! I finally managed to pick up one for my daughter.

LostInTranslation
    Thanks fellow Bricksetters. We called in the number this morning and I picked it up after work....admittedly a little nervous as I saw the inventory shrink as I checked on it during lunch and before after school activities. When I got to the store it looks like it was the last one. I think when my wife called they just put the rest out on the floor. I so wanted to get this for my daughters as one of their main Christmas gifts. Have you all seen the price on Amazon for this? Again thanks for all the help.
    LostInTranslation
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2014
    The box that contained the four Elsa's Castles that I bought yesterday had a purge date of 12/16/2014. Not sure if that is the date to get them out of the stockroom, maybe a Target employee could enlighten us.

Before you get out your pitchforks, all 4 of the sets that I purchased will be going to very happy little girls for Christmas.
    dannyrwwLostInTranslation
    Awww...I was ready to get my pithforks out :) LIttle Lego torches too....glad you can make some kids happy for Christmas
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,340
    It is great seeing so many of such an anticipated set going to those who will enjoy them most on Christmas day and beyond!

Still, I want one. I think I might be a monster...
    dannyrww
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329

The box that contained the four Elsa's Castles that I bought yesterday had a purge date of 12/16/2014. Not sure if that is the date to get them out of the stockroom, maybe a Target employee could enlighten us.

Before you get out your pitchforks, all 4 of the sets that I purchased will be going to very happy little girls for Christmas.

I am a Target employee but have not seen the box the sets come in. It may say that but I would be surprised considering LEGO own release date is January 1st.
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 802
    edited December 2014
    Hey guys a bit out of topic but I figured this was a good place to start, but where do you guys post regular/video reviews?

I found sleeping beauty's set last Sunday at my local Target but no other new Disney princess sets.
    They've hit Cincinnati according to brickseek.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Indianapolis now too.

Sure wish the new DC sets would show up.
    Are the new Dc set coming in January? Do we have dcpis for those.
    So, how the heck does Brickseek work anyway? How do they have more accurate inventory then target.com? Pretty cool
    According to Brickseek, Marlton NJ has 20 in stock. Not close enough to me, but maybe close to some other Bricksetters.
  • luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299
    My brother picked one up for me in the Lawrenceville, GA area, and we'll be giving it to our kiddo on Christmas. I'm excited to see her get Cinderella (which she finished over the weekend) and the Arendelle girls together. I just hope they don't a reindeer from Santa's workshop...
    LostInTranslation
  • pingonedownpingonedown Member Posts: 5
    Wife was able to snag one in CT after keeping an eye on the tracker. Thanks for everyone's helpful info! Daughter does not know that the set exists so she'll have a pleasant surprise Christmas morning.
    LostInTranslation
  • black_towrblack_towr MinnesotaMember Posts: 165
    I've called every Target within 35 miles of me and none of them have them. I'm up in Minnesota.
    ^Why aren't you using the Brickseek website @black_towr?
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    People are going to buy Lego anyway. Why give them something new to buy when there is an entire year's worth of stock on the shelves? I think they are being smart about it.
    probably b/c the parents want to get their kids some princess castle thing from an over rated movie that's popularity may or may not last into next year.

• JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    I'm in the Nashville East Target which has all the new Princess and Friend sets on the shelves with price tags. This store wouldn't break street date to sell me the castle on Sunday, could street date be today? I'm going more on the fact that there are price tags than that the sets are out.
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    Picked up two Elsa Castle today
  • maggsnreesemaggsnreese Member Posts: 1
    Many thanks - picked up one Elsa for my daughter and one for my niece. This will be a huge surprise Christmas morning!
    LostInTranslationchuckp
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    Thanks so much for the tip,I finally saw some green IN STOCK when I got up this morning & headed to the store as soon as it opened.They only got 12 in stock & I got mine first/they had to get it from back stock room.I bought one & the rest sold out within the hour.I think they put them up on the shelf after I left.
    LostInTranslation
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I found the Jasmine sets. I bought 2, 1 to keep and one to sell/trade.Also got the last Elsa palace
    LostInTranslationjust2good