Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego presents for girls

gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,690
So this year my niece and nephew are finally old enough to make this a Lego Christmas. She is 5 and he is 2. My nephew is easy to buy for as I'm a male, and he is unfortunate a lot like me. My niece on the other hand is a little harder. I know what she likes but I don't want to go the mini doll route as I'm not a fan of any non mini figure Lego person. Not sure if I go the Friends/Disney way, or get her the more girlish of the regular sets. I know it is a little selfish of me but there is 90% chance when they grow out of Lego they will be given back to me. Any advice would be appreciated especially from female Lego fans

Comments

• margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    I would say that it really depends on the kid. It's hard for us to know what she would like without knowing her. My advice as a Lego fan is that girls don't all like the same things. I think if you don't know, then your safest bet is probably the Friends stuff.
    gmonkey76
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    edited December 2014
    Well, first, it does not matter whether you like mini dolls or not. It matters if she will like them or not, right? I am not saying that to be schnarky, but just giving the perspective of what do you think she will love?

If you go Friends or Disney as you are thinking, then mini dolls are the only choice.

Does she like princess? Does she like animals? Does she like super heroes? Does she like typical everyday themes?

What is your price range?

Those are the questions I would ask first.

Some fun items...

There are two great creator sets at $20 each. The furry animals and forest animals.

In Friends, if she likes animals, the jungle range is cool. The pool with the slide might be fun.

If she likes princess, then anything from there.

The nice thing with a line, though is if she really likes it, you have more ideas of a theme to pull from in the future.
    Since she is younger you can easily go with some smaller friends sets and she would have a ton of playability

My experience with 5 year olds at a bday party where they built lego... Many are just startinv

ETA: that got cut...

Many are starting out and have not done Lego and sets between 50-200 pieces are a great size to learn with.

I honestly would go with two of the smaller Lego Friends Jungle sets, if she likes animals.
    gmonkey76Shib
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,690
    She's into tinker bell, hello kitty, and she wants a easy bake oven this year. Not sure if see seen any of the other Disney Princess moves yet.
    Bummer that Elves is not hitting until next year... If she likes Tink I bet she would really like the Elves sets.
    margotgmonkey76
    edited December 2014
    Maybe the Ariel sets? There were/are two of them and if she likes them, the larger one comes out next year.
    Eta: on sale... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GSN5F7G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1418521961&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40
    gmonkey76
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    #31031 Rainforest animals is a really cool set and not too girly. I agree that the Jungle friends sets seem pretty cool. (and personally I would buy them if there wasn't so much pink. )
    gmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,976
    Cloud Coukoo Land might be hit. Unikitty + Wyldstyle are both pretty popular with my daughter
    gmonkey76
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 895
    Maybe you could stop thinking about what you'll end up with and give her what you think she might want? The Lego in the Friends sets is often good in some good colours, and there are some good sets.

Reminds me of the Simpson's episode when Homer buys Marge a bowling ball that he wants...
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,694
    Forest Animals
    Furry Creatures
    Clould Coukoo Land
    Rainforest Animals (If it's available in your area)
    Aanchir
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,764
    I'd go for the creator monkey set, or possibly a Friends set. 4+ year old girls love them.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    You could try the Juniors pony farm set.
    If your niece is not used to Lego then the Juniors style is simple to build. It also has a minifig instead of a minidoll. Plus it comes in a useful reusable plastic box.

Personally I think Friends is the way to go but just thought I'd throw in the compromise option too as I don't think it's been mentioned?
    margotsklambShib
  • lieslgeelieslgee Member Posts: 17
    Five is still pretty young. What about the small kits, like the turtle house, penguin ice house, bird cage, etc. They don't take long to do.