Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Elves 2015 pictures here!

just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
edited December 2014 in Collecting

What do y'all think?
dougtsbinaryeyeVBaskin2008

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,271
    I like the little boat.
    VBaskin2008
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    edited October 2014
    I don't feel any great interest in the theme and the mini dolls with their pointy ears are pretty useless for repurposing but the parts...... yes please! Pink, purple and lilac limb elements and lilac flower bracelet pieces will be very useful in my next project.
    littletokiVBaskin2008
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    I must be old. I just don't get these sets or this theme.
    yys4uthornieVBaskin2008
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,979
    I am tremendously psyched for this theme! It feels like it has all the makings of an exciting fantasy adventure theme like BIONICLE or LEGO Ninjago, blended with my adolescent fascination with magical creatures from fairy tales and folklore, and finally decked out in a beautiful and sparkling color palette!

The characters have beautiful names and designs that reflect their elemental magic. Each element has its own unique emblem that reminds me of the many insignias used in BIONICLE, LEGO Ninjago, or Avatar: The Last Airbender. Each elf character even appears to have their own magical creature companion! The sets themselves feel strange and foreign and magical with their uniquely-colored flora.

I've been saying for quite a while that the LEGO Group's next step in increasing their female audience should be to invest in an in-house fantasy theme. But to be honest I NEVER expected that the result of such an investment would appeal to me personally on so many levels! It's like the theme I wanted all my life and never knew!

I am hoping that this theme gets not only a lot of sets in the long term, but also plenty of multimedia support. The beautiful character artwork from the preliminary box art leaked a while back definitely has me hoping for books and/or a cartoon of some kind. This could become the LEGO Group's next Ninjago if they play their cards right!
    dannyrwwjust2goodbluemodernmatticus_bricksklatu003caperberryVBaskin2008
  • lilbirdslilbirds Member Posts: 4
    The color combinations are beautiful. I like the overall design as well. TLG designers kept it interesting and mature; I was worried it would be juniorized. Looks like a nice build. I still hope they figure out how to make stiff fabric/plastic sheet wings compatible with longer hair pieces and minidolls. Not sure what the price points are but I am considering buying all of them!
    VBaskin2008
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,091
    More money in my pocket. :(
    VBaskin2008
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I'm very disappointed that this line was done like Friends. There are some great colors and pieces that would nice to have for doing mocs though.
    margotVaderXVBaskin2008
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    I love these sets. Well, to be fair, I love the parts in these sets. I want all of them, but I probably won't be building any of the models. I'd like to get as many of those purple foliage pieces as possible. Paired with the dark red and dark orange versions from the LotR sets, I can definitely envision a beautiful fantasy forest MOC. And for once, I actually kinda like these mini dolls. :)
    VBaskin2008
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    They'll need to have huge reductions for me to even bother

The ship is kind of cool I guess
    VBaskin2008
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    A grey dolphin would have been good (been a while since we've had one)

Purple renders it useless
    VBaskin2008
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,477
    I find it very interesting that considering this is a "girly minidoll theme" there is one set that only has a male minidoll. I wonder if that's a move to make it slightly more gender neutral.

Personally i think this theme is really well executed. It was never going to be a big one for AFOLs, but its perfect for girls moving on from the Friends theme. I personally love the colour palette, i have bought a couple of friends sets for some of those pastel colours, but these have got the colour balance really nice to give a magicy look to a pseudo natural environment.
    VBaskin2008
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,697
    Belville.
    plasmodiumVBaskin2008
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,296

... and the mini dolls with their pointy ears are pretty useless for repurposing ...

The hairpieces are perfect if you want to make some minifig elves.
    VBaskin2008
    Shib said:

I find it very interesting that considering this is a "girly minidoll theme" there is one set that only has a male minidoll. I wonder if that's a move to make it slightly more gender neutral.

It is a shame that there are not more male elves in the series. It might have appealed to boys too a little more. One of my boys has already displayed interest in the first set shown.

Also, the bigger parts tend to be fairly castle / history MOC friendly - grey / brown / dark red / tan - but lots of bright accessories.
    VBaskin2008
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,477
    I wouldn't be surprised to see more male minidolls in a second wave - not anything like a 50/50 split, but assuming it sells and tests well I see a couple more. I can't remember from the prelim pics if we're expecting any more male characters in this wave or not - I think maybe one the same.
    Personally I think TLG are playing it smart with this theme.
    VBaskin2008
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,950
    andhe said:

Belville.

mini-Belville
    VBaskin2008
  • aid_77aid_77 NewburyMember Posts: 223
    Havent seen anyone else comment this but first thing I saw was Anime/Manga characters perfect for posing with Lego Mechs!
    VBaskin2008
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,697
    ^Yeah I saw those hairpieces and thought manga as well.
    VBaskin2008
  • ClumsybumsyClumsybumsy Member Posts: 16
    There are some nice pieces(Purple Leaves) but that's about it.
    VBaskin2008

A grey dolphin would have been good (been a while since we've had one)

Purple renders it useless

You do realize that pink/purple dolphins actually exist in real life? Google "Amazon River Dolphin" and see for yourself.

Anyway, since it seems like all of the animals in this theme are meant to have a colorful fantasy aesthetic, it'd be a bit silly to make the dolphin an ordinary grey.
    ShibVBaskin2008
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 727
    I keep wondering why the female elves wear flip-flops...

The theme is fantastic, unlike the Friends series the designs (hopefully printed, not stickers) for the accessories are elegant and appealing. They have a Celtic vibe with an vibrant color palate.

As Aanchir pointed out, it looks ripe for tie-in multimedia support to create a hit and a several season theme. There seems to be something going on with the "key tile" in each set; there are hints of a back story.

It is scary, but I'm even warming up to the minidolls. They have given the elves more mature faces and outfits. The biggest help was losing the wide round baby eyes *shudder.*
    AndorVBaskin2008
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    Overall very good. I am waiting to see the larger sets.... I believe the same guy is in oneof. The large sets as well. I will say that I am definitely not a fan of a spa in any fantasy theme. I suspect my daughter who reads as much fantasy as I do would have a similar view. Why not a lagoon for that set? At the same time, I like the overall look of the spa set if I ignore the spa pieces. ;-) I can see using that particular set to tie in with my current mermaid island or tie in to spring sets I have. The boat looks better here than the initial box art we were seeing.
    Yes, the colors give a very manga vibe.

The minidolls are fantastic. I like the flip-flops.

CCC, my son was very drawn to several of the Friend Jungle sets. I also wish that would have some slight changes to draw in some additional boys to that line.

I do agree with whoever said in either here or the main page that there seems to be an antagonist missing.
    If so, this will be the third line targeted towards females with out a 'bad guy/gal'. I think the Princess line in particular has suffered from the lack of that.
    VBaskin2008
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I find it interesting that we are hearing complaints about lack of bad guys in mini-doll sets, while at the same time we complain that mini-figure themes created internally by LEGO always focus on conflict and bad guys, and we keep wishing for themes that didn't focus on that. Just an interesting observation

Overall while these sets don't appeal to me (I think the two sets we aren't seeing here did though), I think they are quite well done and I'm confident that they will be another smashing success among the target audience. It's nice to see something so fresh and unique from LEGO. It's been awhile
    binaryeyeBumblepantsAanchirVBaskin2008
    The spa set kind of reminds me of the bathtub scene from "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire". And it seems like it might play a similar role in the story: character goes there to unwind but ends up finding a secret clue that will move them forward on their adventure. I really like the color scheme of that set. It feels very quiet, moody, and peaceful.

Something I just thought about... I'm sure there will be some type of animated feature (whether a TV series, TV special, or just a series of webisodes). I hope they give the series appropriate music. LEGO Ninjago has an excellent soundtrack that really enhances the magic and excitement of the series. The soundtrack to LEGO Legends of Chima is not too bad either. But the music for some of the LEGO Group's other animated features has been a bit forgettable in my eyes.
    VBaskin2008
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,750
    edited October 2014
    tamamahm said:

I will say that I am definitely not a fan of a spa in any fantasy theme. I suspect my daughter who reads as much fantasy as I do would have a similar view.

I don't understand what you mean, here. Are you saying you don't like a spa in any LEGO fantasy theme or in any fantasy theme period?

I suspect "spa" was used to reinforce that this set is primarily targeted at girls. The build itself suggests this spa is used primarily for taking a bath. It's not a full-blown, Friends-style beauty salon. And I can think of several fantasy stories where characters take baths, and a couple where characters go to bath houses.
    dougts said:

I find it interesting that we are hearing complaints about lack of bad guys in mini-doll sets, while at the same time we complain that mini-figure themes created internally by LEGO always focus on conflict and bad guys, and we keep wishing for themes that didn't focus on that.

Yes, I find this theme's lack of obvious conflict refreshing. There is apparently some conflict in the protagonist character searching for the means to return home, but it's not the typical adversarial or confrontational conflict.

If only LEGO could do this with a "boys" theme. Nonetheless, I'll get a couple of these sets for myself and I'm sure my son will enjoy playing with them while they're built.
    dougts said:

Overall while these sets don't appeal to me (I think the two sets we aren't seeing here did though), I think they are quite well done and I'm confident that they will be another smashing success among the target audience. It's nice to see something so fresh and unique from LEGO. It's been awhile

Based on the preliminary images, I thought the bakery looked most interesting. I was disappointed it wasn't among these images; I hope that's not an indicator of it being an exclusive. It will be interesting to see if the male shown in the leaked images for the bakery is the same as in the Crystal Hollow (based on the preliminary box art, I assume so). As for that set, the use of the new spiral-topped 1x1 rounds for acorns is clever, and a catapult to launch them from is too comical to bemoan the inclusion of Yet Another Launcher.

I hope this first wave is successful enough to warrant a second wave. The castle-like structure in the background of the preliminary box art would be fantastic in this style.
    AanchirdougtsVBaskin2008
    Binaryeye, fantasy themes in general..not referring to Lego. Aanchir, understand your point. Yes, the entire color scheme works for me on that set as well, and will simply remove the little spa bottles on the left. ;-)

dougts said:

I find it interesting that we are hearing complaints about lack of bad guys in mini-doll sets, while at the same time we complain that mini-figure themes created internally by LEGO always focus on conflict and bad guys, and we keep wishing for themes that didn't focus on that. Just an interesting observation

I think one can make both comments, though, doubts. It is funny because the comments tend to sound completely opposite in request, but I understand the reasoning for both comments.

I really would love to see an animated series. The elves remind me of taking elements of Tinkerbell, Rainbow Magic Fairies, and a bit of Avatar. I am hoping this is really an intro into this world via these sets, and in subsequent waves we may see an antagonist appear. The story line can also work without an antagonist, but there needs to be a good story arc. Aanchir, I do agree, if Lego does this well, this could be big. I am wanting to hear more about their story line at this point to see how well they have thought out this world.

The sets had about the response here that I expected. My kid that is very into Manga and fantasy really loved the mini dolls. The purple dolphin also was a hit.

Overall, the line is different looking, exciting and new.
    VBaskin2008
    dougts said:

I agree, I don't really see any need for a bad guy in the friends or similar line-ups. Or if there is, why does the bad guy have to be an obvious bad guy? There could already be a white collar / middle class bad guy in there. Maybe Stephanie steals cookies.

They could have put Jafar in the Jasmine set. And done it in LOTR style, leaving out Aladdin.
    VBaskin2008
    Who said anything about a bad guy in the Friends line?
    I guess I simply find it just as interesting as an observation that the first three girl lines intitially appear to have taken the route of not a typical antagonist. We have not seen the story line for elves, but I would not be surprised that it takes more of that Tinkerbell theme to it. I would hope that long term Lego does not make every girl set to that route, as I generally hope that not every internal themed boy set goes the route of conflict.

I do feel, though, that the Princess line has suffered somewhat from the lack of a Villian. While I understand the Princess license is about the Princess, it makes it hard to act out scenes from the movie when a playset does not have main characters. Now I do think with the second wave, the Frozen set and Ariel set work. While I would have loved a bigger castles, and a snow monster, the set works fine as a okay set due to a different sort of antagonist in this movie. The Ariel set will have a bunch of play value... Although ouch on the price. I really wish Lego would include more mini dolls in their sets.

VBaskin2008
    I sincerely hope the Elves line does not introduce an enemy or conflict. Fantasy often uses the quest model for story advancement. The tension can be provided by progress towards an elusive goal rather than strife with "the other."
    thenosVBaskin2008
    edited October 2014
    ^^ there aren't any princesses that are villains though. If they are not going to supply Aladdin, then it is probably right not to include other male characters this time around, especially minor ones.
    VBaskin2008
  • ZathrasZathras Member Posts: 70
    Watching the set pictures makes me really wonder if LEGO wanted to do a "Legend of Zelda" or a Nintendo theme and just can't find a reasonable licensing way to make it happen. That set with the winged doll makes me think of Kid Icarus and a red dragon head on the boat with a bit of color swap/rebuild it would be a decent Wind Waker set.
    plasmodiumjust2goodKevin_HyattVBaskin2008
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    The sets also come with an enormous amount of diamonds! I am happy about that. And the mini dolls are cool looking.
    just2goodVBaskin2008
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    I can't stand these poly pocket figures in these, Friends, etc. minifigures all the way!
    I know why Lego do it though.
    VBaskin2008
    Can we at some point retire all the minidoll hate and move on already?

We get it - a lot of us don't like them. But by any standard, they've been a runaway smashing blockbuster hit for LEGO and they aren't going anywhere. They have made it clear that themes targeted primarily towards girls are going to feature minidolls. Deal with it already.

If you don't like them, don't buy them, but the never ending stream of posts with no content in them other than to malign the minidoll have outlived their usefulness in my view
    AndyPoltamamahmBumblepantspharmjodAndorVBaskin2008
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 380
    dougts said:

If you don't like them, don't buy them, but the never ending stream of posts with no content in them other than to malign the minidoll have outlived their usefulness in my view

I quite agree. LEGO is a toy for children and us adults have to remember that occasionally.... For the record, they are not my thing, but my daughter loves them, so isn't that what LEGO wanted?

VBaskin2008
    Yup. The fact that they are full fledged mini characters, that are a bit more life-like, is what makes them potentially more appealing and a great avatar. My girls love minifigs also, but not the plain boring ones. The Dino hunter from the current series was a huge, huge hit here. Many others from the CMFs have been as well. The HP mini figs were a huge hit as well. Over here my kids do equally love mini dolls and minfigs. The exception is the generic minifigs. Ones that are too bland in facial details or outfit details.

They probably could have gotten away with detailed minifigs on the girl lines, but the mini dolls are very appealing to many, and probably help sell the product. I am sure Lego did plenty of market testing between minidolls and minifigs to see which appealed more. The minidolls for the Elves like are frankly outstanding and seem to be the best minidolls they have had to date. It would be very hard to get the same feel in my minifig, at the same time, one can. My one concern with the minidolls was a greater likelihood of breakage, but that has not been the case for us thus far.
    dannyrwwVBaskin2008
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    Something about the elves minidolls are more appealing...the elf hair pieces alone will be nice to have for other minifigures, but they do stand out on their own well enough.
    VBaskin2008
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,091
    dougts said:

Can we at some point retire all the minidoll hate and move on already?

And who are you to say what others' have to say. Just because you don't like and/or approve of others' comments doesn't make you the gatekeeper of comments.
    dougts said:

We get it - a lot of us don't like them. But by any standard, they've been a runaway smashing blockbuster hit for LEGO and they aren't going anywhere. They have made it clear that themes targeted primarily towards girls are going to feature minidolls. Deal with it already.

You say, "Deal with it already," again who are you to say this. I say, "understand those who differ from you."
    dougts said:

Ok...you're such a pro. Let's all bow down to @dougts because he knows and thinks for others.

oldtodd33VBaskin2008
    Wow. That's a lot of ... anger. Relax, I'm not telling anyone what they can or can't talk about, only suggesting the issue has been done to death

I don't have any problem with critical reviews and commentary. That's quite different however than pointless snark without providing any attempt to spark conversation or debate

Minidolls have been around almost three years now. There has been no shortage of debate about them over that time. But there is nothing new to add to the conversation at this point - we've been there, done that already

Every time a new theme comes out do we really want to rehash the "minidolls suck, they should have been minifigures" topic yet again? I say no, but hey, no one has to listen to me...
    Kevin_HyattVBaskin2008
    My daughter has got to the point that she doesn't play with minifigs - minidolls only for her now. I'm hoping she will change at some point, but for now her minifigs are packed away in favour of the dolls.

My biggest problem with them is that I find it more difficult to get the rubber-like hairpieces on them than regular minifig hair. And also sitting them down without them falling over.
    GCSLegoVBaskin2008
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    ^ Thats funny. My daughter doesn't play with Minidolls anymore...minifigs only for her now.
    oldtodd33VBaskin2008
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    Don't see what the big deal is with this new theme... I welcome anything new that Lego can use to make money and draw fans, especially if that new theme will benefit the rest of the lines... There are tons of people that have always hated the Technic theme, but Lego still realizes how important that it is not only for it's small group of it's technical fans, but also for it to be a key component to make things come alive in the regular system sets...

binaryeyeBumblepantsAdeelZubairAanchirLadder19JTKVBaskin2008

Don't see what the big deal is with this new theme... I welcome anything new that Lego can use to make money and draw fans, especially if that new theme will benefit the rest of the lines... There are tons of people that have always hated the Technic theme, but Lego still realizes how important that it is not only for it's small group of it's technical fans, but also for it to be a key component to make things come alive in the regular system sets...

Yeah, I was surprised to discover how many people there are who dislike the Technic theme. When I was a BIONICLE fan I got kind of used to people treating it like it "wasn't real LEGO", but it was a huge shock to me to find out that some people think the same way about Technic.
    VBaskin2008
    ^^ "but also for it to be a key component to make things come alive in the regular system sets..."
    This is very true, I have learned the importance of those Technic parts in doing all kinds of cool things with system bricks. However, they need to be covered and hidden to satisfy my visual aesthetic.
    VBaskin2008
    Yup. My son's favorite part with Lego are the special features, which often are created using some technic elements.
    VBaskin2008
    klatu003 said:

^^ "but also for it to be a key component to make things come alive in the regular system sets..."
    This is very true, I have learned the importance of those Technic parts in doing all kinds of cool things with system bricks. However, they need to be covered and hidden to satisfy my visual aesthetic.

I think it depends on the look the set/MOC in question is going for. If it's something like Exo-Force or Legends of Chima that's SUPPOSED to look like a machine, I don't think exposed Technic is a problem at all.
    VBaskin2008
  • neomonkeyneomonkey Member Posts: 82
    More images of LEGO Elves sets are out including new images of Azari and the Magic Bakery (41074) & Treetop Hideaway (41075).

http://www.neoape.com/more-lego-elves-2015-sets-official-images/
    VBaskin2008
  • kioko21kioko21 United KingdomMember Posts: 77
    Look great! Can't wait to get these! Loving the animals! Eager to see what the little red animal is...Fox maybe?
    VBaskin2008
    to me, these are clearly the best two sets of the theme. Treetop Hideaway is a homerun
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    Blue hair for the win!
    VBaskin2008