What sets do you now regret selling?

I have bought and sold over the last four years to help offset my collection costs.

I was thinking today about the sets I once owned and have since sold.

Here's my list of regrets that I sold.

6243 Brick Beards Bounty. This is by far the best Pirate ship IMHO to this day. I only had one copy and was really poor at the time of my newly discovered hobby. Sold for 10$ more than I payed and was not retired at the time.

10210 Imperial Flagship. This was a good build but lacked a lot of details for the price. Sold at the same time with Brick Bounty. Sold for 20$ more than I paid and was not retired at the time. Massive size was a great display.

10194 Emerald Night. Bought three copies on sale. Sold two for 250$ a year after retirement. Still have one copy but one passenger car is so plain! Wish I had those other cars and just sold the loco's.

10219 Maesrk Train. Bought two copies on sale. Built one keep other sealed. Sold used for 200$ and Sealed for 220$ Bought one copy back for 240$ Sealed a year after selling the two originals. This is such a great looking train. Wish I had just keep the two originals. Silly me thinking MMV was going to be the winner.

The positive for the sales is that they helped buy many others sets that are now retired. They are all in my MOC collection and many at discounted prices. So I was able to stretch my money very far.

Also I regret missing out on the purchase of a 10224 Town Hall. I really drop the ball in October with double points. I missed when Target and Walmart had the online Lego discount battle. I just could never pull the trigger at full price for this set. Now I will probably sell my other three modular buildings FB (Built), GE (Sealed), PS (Sealed)

What are your regrets?

Comments

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,061
    Wow. The sets you have mentioned above would put even the every day collector out of sorts by selling.

Question, if you sold those sets to fund your hobby I must ask what did you buy in its stead??
  • jennb823jennb823 Member Posts: 6
    To date, I've only sold duplicates, save for some 'yard sale finds.' Though I have a few MISB Spider-Man sets (from the 2004-ish era) that I've thought of selling... I am fearful of regret, hence still having them. ;)
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    Towards the end of my childhood obsession of with LEGO I started getting into Star Wars and bought as many sets as I could get my hands on. This was around 2005-2006 ish, or around the time Revenge of the Sith was released. Can't remember exactly what I had, but I know I had the Hoth version of the Millenium Falcon, Wookie Catamaran, and some TIE Fighters. Anyway, I got bored of the stuff and sold it on eBay as a lot, think I got around $140. Granted, I did keep a few minifigs I liked (Princess Leia, Han Solo, Emperor Palpatine and his guards from the Imperial Shuttle set). I wish I'd kept them because I could probably have gotten more now, though I haven't done the research.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    I regret selling Market Street. I never considered it part of the Modular Series and thought it was hideous and lacking next to CC and GG. I guess I probably should have kept it. The set was MISB :(
    andhe
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,300
    My original Green Grocer and Cafe Corner. It cost me $900 to replace both of them.
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    ^Market Street retired before the end of my dark age, same with CC and GG

GG was a set that I had looked at in the catalog I had sorted when I worked at the post office. I'm glad that the catalog was delivered to an old address with no forwarding or I probably would have never looked at it. I honestly think that summer catalog got me out of me dark age. I remember CC being on clearance on the Lego shop at home website before I toke the plunge and actually had bought some sets.

I'm mainly interested in castle and fantasy sets. I started on collecting Castle. Now I have a good selection of Trains and Technic, with a few Modulars.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Regret selling Imperial Shuttle, GG, CC, Emerald night and Maersk trian, UCS Rebel Blockade Runner & Tower Bridge. But food and rent had to come first
    VaderX
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 234
    edited December 2014
    Nice thread, thinking of selling #4842 Hogwarts and #10199 WV Toy Shop, as both were not an intended purchase but came as part of a bundle. But seeing how our likes and dislikes change with time, I'm afraid to because of future regrets! But then you can't keep everything, money is one thing but space is another very real constraint......
  • GentlyBenevolentGentlyBenevolent Member Posts: 328
    I sold all my Lego collection earlier this year but have now started again from scratch.
    My biggest regrets were selling 2 x MISB #10221 Super Star Destroyers, the entire Monster Fighters range including #10228 Haunted House , I have managed to get a replacement NISB HH for a good price since it is now retired.
    I have told myself that if the "Dark Ages " are looming in the future, my Lego collection will be boxed up and get stored in the attic and not sold off.
    Renegade007cjh
  • yuffieyuffie Member Posts: 91
    I have only sold off a few original Star Wars sets - Land Speeder, Snowspeeder, X-Wing Fighter and Speeder Bikes - which I guess it would be quite cool to still have. These were bought during a brief spell out of the Dark Ages when I was around 20.

Since then I have only bought sets I want to build and enjoy.
    cheshirecat
  • Brinstar85Brinstar85 Member Posts: 42
    The sets I regret selling the most are the two Pirates of the Caribbean Ships #4195 Queen Anne's Revenge and #4184 Black Pearl. Since selling them the price of both has skyrocketed to the extent where I simply couldn't justify the £250 odd quid needed to buy them new. They are now permanently absent from my Lego Pirate ship collection. Unfortunately it was done at at a time when I needed the money.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    I sold my Imperial Flagship. I really liked that ship, but I don't regret it too much. As others have said, you only have so much space and Pirates is not a theme that I collect. I sold my Futuron Monorail which I regretted very much and because of that re-purchased it a year later. Still don't have a good place to display it, but I like knowing that it's there when I "need" it.

The best thing to do before you sell your prized set is consider how much you'll miss it vs. the cost of replacing it long term. Also don't sell it just so you can have a brand new Lego set to open and build. I've done that and it's a mistake.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 500
    Hands down, the Emerald Night. I owned two of them, one opened and one unopened. It was a perfect display... sadly, real-world needs caused me to sell both at the same time.

I am now piecing one back together, but I won't ever have one in a perfect (absolute mint) box again. Also, this set contains my favorite Lego piece of all time, that dark green slope with two gold striped from the front of the train.
  • veedubguy83veedubguy83 Member Posts: 29

The sets I regret selling the most are the two Pirates of the Caribbean Ships #4195 Queen Anne's Revenge and #4184 Black Pearl. Since selling them the price of both has skyrocketed to the extent where I simply couldn't justify the £250 odd quid needed to buy them new. They are now permanently absent from my Lego Pirate ship collection. Unfortunately it was done at at a time when I needed the money.

I also did this as well, I had both ships... Got the Black Pearl on clearance for like $60.00... Sold them both for a nice chunk of change, but definitely regret it! Also regret selling my LotR sets as well...
    Andor
  • sstoroesstoroe Member Posts: 156
    Pitfall69 said:

I regret selling Market Street. I never considered it part of the Modular Series and thought it was hideous and lacking next to CC and GG. I guess I probably should have kept it. The set was MISB :(

I sold this one as well when offered 1500, but now I feel the collection is incomplete. I also thought it was ugly
    Pitfall69
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    Wolverine Chopper Showdown. I miss having Deadpool...
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,428

What is this 'selling Lego' thing that I keep hearing about?

Weird, right? Apparently there are a few other threads about it too!

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/1958/predictions-on-discontinuing-sets-and-their-secondary-market-value#latest

AndorPitfall69Angel_C
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    Who in the heck would sell their Lego? Insanity ;)
    chuckpAndorgmonkey76Angel_CYodalicious
    edited December 2014
    I know the sets I *will* regret selling, so these are staying with me dark ages or not :)

#10194 Emerald Night
    #7471 Mars Exploration Rover
    #10228 Haunted House
    #4195 Queen Anne's Revenge
    #21108 Ghostbusters
    Andorchuckplego007Yodalicious
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Well, speaking of the Black Pearl... my son had a babysitter one day, and they opened up this set but they never built it. And somehow all of the bags have disappeared and all I have left is an empty box. I have no idea where the set went. I know it wasn't the babysitter because the set was still there in bags at least initially.
    So, someday I am hoping to come across this set. I think it's lost in my house somewhere.
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    I sold quite a few sets, and used the money as down payment to buy a house. Do I regret selling them...I miss having them of course, but having a new house is better, and I still have quite a few Lego to build with. Here's some of what I sold:

10178 Motorised AT-AT
    10179 UCS Falcon
    10181 Eiffel Tower
    10182 Cafe Corner
    10185 Green Grocer
    10189 Taj Mahal
    10190 Market Street
    10196 Grand Carousel

Pretty much every space set from Blacktron 1 - Ice Planet
    Skull Eyed Schooner
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    I regret selling the half finished sets thinking I would never get hold of the parts to finish them off. But of course you do...
    I sold #7740, #7738 and #7739. The last two I saved for a long time, and it annoys me not to have built them proper as they are good sets. I have the 7740 on my to-do list, bur been putting off building it as I fear it will be complete...
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    ^Natro220, When a set triples, quadruples, or goes even higher in value its hard not to send it to the next happy owner. Grand carousel is one I had eyed for a long time before full out of the dark age. It was a short lived set that was so drastically different from all the rest. I remember seeing these on clearance at shop at home and before my hobby became an addiction I could never dream of spending $200+ on one set alone.

At the time I did not have the same disposable income as I do now.
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    My thought exactly VaderX. While they were hard to part with...I guess I don't truly regret selling them as they brought in quite a bit of cash. My parents still don't believe that I made enough money for a down payment for a house by selling Lego sets.
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 418
    I try to only sell the dregs...the sets I bought for a minifig or two or else pieced together from a craigslist lot. (Yes I am a hoarder and rapidly running out of space to display everything!)

I did sell the 7662 MTT to a friend, immediately regretted it, then upon seeing what the new one looked like bought another one as part of a lot on eBay. Haven't even put the thing together, but knowing that I COULD makes me content.

I need help...
    margotNorlegomonkeyAngel_C
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I regret selling quite a few when I had to have the money.

UCS Rebel blockade Runner
    Cafe Corner
    Green Grocer
    Imperial Shuttle
    Tower Bridge
    Just to name a few...
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    UCS Imperial Shuttle is my only real regret. Sold a lot of sets when I needed money but that one I sold right when it was retired and know I'll probably never get one now that its over 400.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    pvancil27 said:

UCS Imperial Shuttle is my only real regret. Sold a lot of sets when I needed money but that one I sold right when it was retired and know I'll probably never get one now that its over 400.

When it hits $500 on the used market I may have to sell mine. Of course I keep raising the amount ; )
  • cardgeniuscardgenius Member Posts: 153
    For me it's #10219. Sold lots of sets over the years but always regret that one.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,174
    The only set I regret selling is SDCC Green Lantern thinking that the figure would become widely available. I ended up buying it back later for more than I sold it.
  • plantmanplantman Member Posts: 97
    I was always an avid Lego buyer, but never thought Lego could possibly have any resale value (I had never purchased anything used or followed any aftermarket values). I had fallen on some hard times and a friend offered me $300 for my entire original Ninja (castle series) and Fright Knights sets - I had every set, used but put back in the boxes (these were the only sets I thought I could live without). This seemed like a good deal for some used toys, so I sold them. I went to replace them once I was back on my feet only to discover Lego values INCREASE. It made me feel sick, realizing what I had done. I offered to buy them back, but he had already sold them on Ebay, for a huge profit.
    ^Steer clear of such "friends"!
    DadTXLegoguyPitfall69hleonffuBuriedinBricksiso3200GurooomargotRenegade007cjh
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 986
    Not counting the dozens of 7191's I sold for 199 USD back in 03 (at peace because I was paying less than 60 USD to buy them) probably the dozen or so 10039's sold in the last quarter of 03 for 32USD ( purchased at 19 USD). The BIG killer? The seven INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED 10020's sold in Q2 '04 for between 20-35 USD each (and bought new and shiny for under 18 USD EACH) I miss the good old days when LEGO was so damn cheap in Australia - the interesting thing is at the time, was more than happy to sell these because I was generally making 70% + profit.....I'm just going to sit in the corner and rock quietly for a while...

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,061
    Immediately upon my descent into my Dark Ages (around 14/15) I sold almost my entire collection to a mother for her son for litterally pennies on the dollar. I kept maybe a crate worth of bricks, plus my Pirate and Western sets and a few random bits and pieces. But boy oh boy, every once in a while I think back to that very encounter and my selling off of so much....the immediate shiver that follows said thought is truly mind blowing.