Expiring VIP Points - End-of-Year Sale?

Does anyone have experience using VIP points at the end of the year? I have a bunch of points saved up and half or so expire at the end of the year. LEGO generally has an after Christmas / year-end sale, correct? Are there any recommendations on sets for expiring VIP points? Thank you.

Comments

• LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    Buy Winter Village Market (2013) if you collect WV and don't have it yet because normally last year's WV Christmas set is the New Year's first good-bye.
  • suprajamessuprajames UK SussexMember Posts: 366
    I did not know points expired, how long does it take ?, have been saving mine up and do not want to loose them, was planning on using them in January on the new Slave 1.
    Cam_n_Stu
  • RailsRails Brierley Hill, UKMember Posts: 143

I did not know points expired, how long does it take ?, have been saving mine up and do not want to loose them, was planning on using them in January on the new Slave 1.

All VIP Points expire on December 31st two years after the year in which they were earned.

http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/VIP/vipFaq.jsp#13
    suprajamesLegoKipCam_n_Stu
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    I've read somewhere that you get an email to remind you they're running out but best to keep track yourself and use them in time to avoid drama.

For OP, depends how many points you have I guess. If you have loads then go big and get the biggest set in the theme you collect.
  • suprajamessuprajames UK SussexMember Posts: 366
    Thanks for the info, my points should be safe till Jan as were all gained in the last year :)
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    How do you know when you accrued them and when they will expire. I get the 2 year timeframe, but where do I look to see if any are about to go bye bye?
  • blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99
    I have 55 points expiring this December 31st so I was hoping for a nice end of year deal or early VIP order for Detective's Office or Slave 1 to spend my points on. Losing 55 points doesn't impact that much on my rewards(I have 1894 banked) but it'd be nice if I didn't lose them.
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    Your best bet is to just go into a store in the next week or two and use those points on any 2015 sets you want that have hit the shelves early. It's a safe bet there will never ever be a VIP early release for a January D2C though; it would be an absolute logistical nightmare.
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    Why would you not spend VIP? In two years ? Lego is as they say "laughing all the way to the bank"
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,394
    Is that 55 points or $55? If it's $55, and you said you had plenty left over, then at the very least I'd buy something with some cool parts for MOCing or something you otherwise wouldn't buy. Why let them go to waste?
  • blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2014
    55 points, not dollars. I have 1894 points, which translates to $90. Losing 55 points wouldn't take my dollar count down(it'd bring it to 1839, which is still $90). If I spent $5 in rewards that'd clear the 55 points from the end of the year, but there's not enough I want to get to free shipping, and paying for shipping would cost more than I'd be saving. My nearest LEGO store is two hours away. I should've used it during the free shipping promotion recently on a keychain or something but I forgot.

The 55 points was from two years ago, when I was just coming out of my Dark Ages. The rest I've accumulated from 2x and 3x rewards points in the past year or so. I've yet to use any VIP rewards. I've been banking them to use on a big item, like a modular, but I don't really want the ones currently available.
  • DaveBeyDaveBey Member Posts: 44
    I received a couple e-mails in late September notifying me I have ~2600 VIP Points (out of ~6500) expiring the end of this year. Is it better to use VIP Points on LEGO exclusives and purchase other sets retail during a sale? This seems to offer the best 'bang-for-the-buck' to me. Thank you.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,483
    Yes. Buy Lego exclusives with your points.
    Other items are usually cheaper in Tesco points double up events, Smyth's 20% days, Argos 3 for 2's, and Asda or Toys R Us promotional sales.
    In America Walmart or Toys R Us sales probably have the best deals.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Sethro3 said:

How do you know when you accrued them and when they will expire.

You should be able to see them at [email protected] When logged in, click on the "view your account" link in the upper right, then click on the account history tab.
    Sethro3 said:

I get the 2 year timeframe, but where do I look to see if any are about to go bye bye?

All points earned in 2012 will expire at the end of this year. Points earned in 2013 will expire at the end of next year, etc.