Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Another Run for Research Institute?

LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
Ran across this message this morning on Lego's [email protected] page:
"LEGO® Ideas sets are fan created and limited production. We’re sorry it’s not available – it’s proven to be an overwhelmingly popular set. We’re investigating if we can make more. Check back soon!"
shop.lego.com/en-US/Research-Institute

Comments

• Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,125
    My local store had a bunch on the shelf last week.
    legobigbloke
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,759
    There are also quite a few stores with sightings of the RI on the existing thread:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/15210/21110-research-institute#latest

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited November 2014
    The second run happened weeks ago and is now constantly in pretty much all non us stores and will be constantly in the us stores once the first few deliveries settle demand. Its been constantly in Manchester for weeks and weeks now. Then I expect it to go back online. The exo suit continues not to sell in uk stores.
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    edited November 2014
    Thanks, all! I know England/Europe has been okay with supply, but we've been in scavenger hunt mode in some states, and especially here in Southern California.

I read this as possibly being available at [email protected] US. What do you think? Maybe?
    yys4u
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,429
    edited November 2014
    I think the 'limited run' on both RI and Exosuit was misinterpreted, I took it as initial limited run with more later if there was demand. I think people assumed it was like the limited edition crawler and there would only be a set stock.
    obviously with the need to produce stock for christmas the second run couldn't happen instantly. Although I have no special insight from TLG I'd say that the research institute will almost certainly reappear online.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    It sounds much like what happened in Europe (first few deliveries of the new stock being gobbled up before settling down) just delayed a month or so. That they haven't appeared on [email protected] in the UK is odd so don't take it for sure that they will, but I suspect they will. If you're desperate I'd get a fellow bricksetter to post you one to be safe.
    Natebw
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 845
    This never actually came out to other countries like Australia and NZ, so I hope the second run does.
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    Has there been any word on this? Is there a second run coming?
  • timttimt Member Posts: 33
    I managed to get one from the Vancouver Lego Store, so there was another shipment after the additional shipment in Oct.
    bobabricks
    ^^Love Vancouver, and glad to hear you got one. I think California is due for an additional shipment this month, too, according to my Lego B&M staff.
    bobabricks
    Now in stock says this 3rd run hasn't hit the [email protected] or Amazon yet I would hope it would any time soon: http://www.nowinstock.net/toys/lego/cuusoo/researchinstitute/
  • TheBrokenPlateTheBrokenPlate Member Posts: 28
    edited November 2014
    "We’re investigating if we can make more", sounds like "we really don't want to make more and hope that people will just forget about it soon enough".
    They'd much rather be using their production capacity to churn out sets that make more money, which is understandable of course.
    I think if they had ever planned to make more, they would have by now.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    for those who want this set, because they want to build it... instead of storing it in the closet for future resale, check out the set's pieces at lego.com's bricks and pieces. I did so, and I was able to order the printed plate for the set, and the pieces for the minifigures.

I'm trying to piece a set together for a friend who wants to display it in her office, and I was surprised to find the printed plate for sale at bricks and pieces. She lives in Butte, Montana, far from any B&M Lego store.
    Natebw
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I found a research institute set on the shelves of my local LEGO store today! I almost didn't go for black friday since the sales were lack luster, but was glad I did. It was the last on the shelf but as I was checking out I saw them put like 3 more out, so I don't know if those were returns or if they are slowly filling the shelf throughout the day
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Chicago store said they get 45 RIs a week.
    margot said:

Chicago store said they get 45 RIs a week.

and they still get sold out??
  • JahcursJahcurs Member Posts: 40
    They always seem available at the Sheffield store.
  • DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 363
    edited December 2014
    Back in stock on Lego.com (for UK and Ireland - I didn't check anywhere else).
    Back in stock for NZ and Australia too
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,012
    Sold out on UK now.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,052
    In stock in Belgium from lego.com - but the website seems to be a bit glitchy, it shows it as available, then when I tried to buy it, it went to a screen saying it was sold out. I closed my browser and openend it again (read somewhere that sometimes fixes the problem) but the same thing kept happening. I eventually gave up last night but then tried again this morning (three times) and I managed to order! woooohooo - so excited!
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited December 2014

Sold out on UK now.

Its back up
  • GondorianDotComGondorianDotCom Member Posts: 30

Sold out on UK now.

Its back up
    Thanks, I just ordered my first three (and an Exo Suit).

• DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 363
    The three I ordered last night showing up as "In Warehouse" still.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    Found 7 at the Lego store @ Arrowhead Towne Center in Phoenix AZ. Only 1 per person.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,052
    I just received the research institute - so happy! Husband in scientist so we could not miss out on this one. Glad lego managed to make done more, retail price is more than enough for this set!
  • herekittykittyherekittykitty Member Posts: 122
    I was able to get a set in San Diego last week, I had to ask, they're not on the shelves. They said they keep in them in the backroom and they're by request only, one per person, so that they don't immediately sell out.
    LegoKip
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    In a way I am glad that they are selling out quickly at most locations so that LEGO sees that they are a big hit. And maybe will produce more. And other sets in this "new theme." It appears that earlier they did not believe this set would see so well.
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 551

I was able to get a set in San Diego last week, I had to ask, they're not on the shelves. They said they keep in them in the backroom and they're by request only, one per person, so that they don't immediately sell out.

When did you get one? I know someone in SD that's been trying to get one for a while and they're always told that they're sold out.
  • herekittykittyherekittykitty Member Posts: 122

When did you get one? I know someone in SD that's been trying to get one for a while and they're always told that they're sold out.
    I forget when we were there exactly, but it was a week or two ago, pretty recently. I wasn't expecting them to have any but they did - but I also don't know how fast they sold out of them again. It was on a Tuesday and I think that's when they get their shipments so maybe that was why.

• GoodCoffeeJoeyGoodCoffeeJoey Member Posts: 82
    It's available on the Toys r us Canada website.
    As of 4pm it's available at Shop @ Home in the U.S.: Research-Institute
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    ^Limit one.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 674
    ^^Shipping delayed until December 21. I ordered mine today rather than wait until 2x VIP points this Sunday, just in case...
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    I ordered one, as well. I hope it works out. Strictly for my daughter!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    edited December 2014
    LegoKip said:

As of 4pm it's available at Shop @ Home in the U.S.: Research-Institute

Back to 'Available' now (Saturday Morning) . If anyone ordered when it was listed as back ordered, I would check with LEGO CS to ensure yours ships. LEGO has a bad habit of having orders get stuck waiting for a back order only to sell out of them with the order not being completed.
    Lol. Well... certainly didn't take long for the money to disappear out my checking account!
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I had no idea of this double points on Sunday, so I ordered it last night. I haven't been online much this past week, so I've missed out on some LEGO news.

I used VIP points anyway, so free for me. Yippy. (actually for my daughter)
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    I wonder if TLG made an exception with this one knowing just how popular it was and just how much they messed it up with the small stock on hand during the initial release and just ramped up production to get more of these out.
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 991
    All gone now!

This set was overwhelmingly popular and is no longer available for purchase. Limited quantity is expected at LEGO® Brand retail locations the week of December 14, 2014. Please check back for the new LEGO® Ideas set in January!
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    ordered one on Dec 12th (Friday) in the U.S. Was told shipping would be delayed 2 weeks. Received a tracking number for the order today! happy dance happy dance!
    LegoKipOldfan
  • GoodCoffeeJoeyGoodCoffeeJoey Member Posts: 82
    Calgary lego store has some on the shelves.
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    Lots in my local LEGO store, Surrey BC.
    edited December 2014
    It came already! 2 business days. This Christmas is gonna be awesome! Lego likes me :-)

Woot! Woot!

Managed to get a copy at the downtown Disney store. So excited!!!!
    yys4u
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Jern92 said:

Everything is Awesome?
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 674
    Mine arrived from shop.LEGO today.

Jern92 said:

Everything is Awesome?
    Everything is finally awesome! Now to find a building in my city to put it so it doesn't end up a parts pack like all my others sets without proper homes
  • bri4jennbri4jenn United StatesMember Posts: 96
    Newark, DE had some today and may receive more on Wednesday.
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 991
    Alpharetta, GA had a ton of these today. Finally picked one up! They also gave me a Christmas ornament, no idea what the threshold might have been. Great deal, glad I didn't pull the trigger over the weekend and pay for shipping at [email protected]