Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Ideas Results

Comments

• matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    I would have bet money on the Birds being chosen, but TBBT really surprised me. I've never watched the show, and I have no interest I watching it, but it still seems like an odd choice. Is there brand fit? It seems like an arbitrary choice, as there could have just as easily been a set based on any other sitcom. Is it playable? Do kids watch this show?

@GIR3691‌ Agreed, it's mind-boggling that The Legend of Zelda was apparently not a fit for a children's toy, yet a TV sitcom watched mainly by teens and adults was.
  • blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99
    edited November 2014
    I don't like The Big Bang Theory at all, partially because I dislike almost all current multi-camera sitcoms with in-studio audiences. (It's strange because I can still watch older shows with laugh tracks and enjoy them, even ones I didn't grow up with, so it's not just nostalgia).

The main reason I dislike it is not even the nerd 'blackface' thing but just that the characters have proven pretty unlikeable to me in the dozen or so episodes I've seen. They constantly bicker and belittle each other, and I don't really even get the sense that they even like each other. It feels like a very negative show to me.

However I do think it's a good idea for a LEGO set. Yes, the show probably skews a bit adult for LEGO's usual demographic, but a lot of the people who watch TBBT will likely be very interested in a LEGO set of the show. It's like Minecraft where the merchandise on offer so far has been somewhat subpar so something of clear quality like a LEGO set will probably sell extremely well. I mean, I don't even like the show but I'll probably buy a set for parts.
    Andor
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^ Zelda may have been a hard license to work out. I thought I read somewhere that Nintendo was notoriously bad with stuff like that. LEGO's answer from the review may have been worded in a way other than "couldn't get the license" for PR reasons.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,150
    edited November 2014
    Now I'm just the opposite... I think the show is very funny and entertaining.... but as for it being a LEGO set? I don't see it at all.

OK, you have character minifigs... and then what? Nothing... unless you want a model of a broken down elevator and stairwells?? Or maybe a LEGO Homemaker sets type apartment living room... or maybe a comic book store? But that's a stretch. A TBBT LEGO set would have little play value aside from the minifigs...
  • The_Mad_VulcanThe_Mad_Vulcan SeattleMember Posts: 162
    ^I think it's a pretty smart more by TLG. There is a lot of room for cross over appeal. I've never gotten into the show, and like Blargh, I just can't watch sitcoms anymore. They seem too formulaic to me, like somebody actually sat down and calculated how often and how big jokes need to be to retain an audience (a literal formula).

But this set could go with a lot of others. TBBT characters like to dress up and go to conventions, they like things like BTTF and Star Wars. The figures could cross over to a Super Heroes or Star Wars set as if they were visiting or role playing.
    edited November 2014
    Istokg said:

... unless you want a model of a broken down elevator and stairwells??

Funny that you mentioned that. Last year I started working on what I wanted to be the full floor of their building and to get it started I began with the stairs and elevator. Went on to other projects and never got back to it.

• vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    TBBT is really something I was not expecting to see. Excited about that one.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,388
    BBT is an interesting choice...it clears the way for more themes or single sets geared towards adults only and does seem like the next step after Simpsons.... and maybe we can get a Lego themed episode of bbt
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 897
    Glad TBBT got picked. I showed the wife and she was very happy and asked for me to get it for her birthday. I think it fits the show perfectly and can see a lot of fans buying it who wouldn't normally buy Lego.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,864
    I think Big Bang Theory is a bit of a game changer. It is clear that Lego are aiming for a non traditional audience with probably a display rather than play set. It wouldn't surprise me now if we see even more adult / older related themes, away from what appeared to be Lego's core values. I wonder if we will be seeing horror sets in the next 10 years, for example, as they slowly move towards some sets aimed at movie fans, while trying to retain the kid side.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    I was shocked when he announced TBBT - like many others I didn't think it had a hope in hell of making it. Personally I'm not in the least bit interested in the show or the set (nor do I feel any particular ire towards it; just another set I'm not interested in like the scores of others TLG releases each year). It will be insanely popular, though; I can easily see another RI/Exo-suit availability scenario.

I'm delighted that the 'Birds' project made it through and offsets the decision to tie into another pop culture IP.

Surely wall-e is a shoe in next round.

I would have thought so up until a month or so ago, until the Hubble Telescope came charging into the frame. I really hope Wall-E makes it, but the Hubble has Ideas written all over it IMO. But, as this review shows, results are not necessarily limited to one winner.

LegoKip
    TBBT does seem to be a game changer and the fact that they are still looking into Dr Who is as well. I don't see anything other than a licensing issue that would keep them from doing Wall-E. I hope they also do the Hubble but they may pass on it due to having done 2 real space ones before.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,051
    edited November 2014
    Think the people who are surprised by the 'adult' choice of BBT are forgetting that one of the main points of Lego Ideas is to create a crossover appeal, not necessarily to appeal to kids. Kid's are already buying/being bought Lego, TLG are looking for markets in which they can expand. If anything Lego Ideas should be seen as TLG's AFOL making project by drawing in fans of other games/inventions/hobbies. I think minecraft is probably the exception but I gather a lot of adults play it as well.

As for the show being brand appropriate for Lego... It obviously wasn't a problem for BTTF (language, sexual themes).

I'm guessing doing a deal for Dr Who takes far much more wrangling seeing as it's a multimillion pound license across many platforms, whereas I don't see much, if any BBT merchandise so guess it was an easily deal on both sides. We'll probably see something on that front come out of the next review once they've had more time to work it out, and assuming the character building licence has expired.
  • DevastatorDevastator Member Posts: 66
    Complete and utter disappointment... so exactly what I would expect from Lego Ideas/Cuusoo. Perhaps the birds will be aesthetically pleasing and creative, but there's still no way I would buy it.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    The Big Bang Theory was the only set I would have bought. I think it a pretty cool set...and yes, it is totally directed to adults....and that's ok. Keep in mind most of these sets are directed towards a certain generation...ie: Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, even the expensive Star Wars line.
  • Starik20X7Starik20X7 Member Posts: 10
    I have spent the last 24 hours feeling what I can only describe as a strange cocktail of shock, anger, confusion, disgust, disappointment and above all, an overwhelming sense of betrayal.

I could go on and on about how dreadful I think TBBT is, but thankfully someone did it for me: http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory

For those of you too busy to read that post, I'll sum it up for you: The Big Bang Theory insults, belittles, and offends just about every minority group I can think of, in particular those who have Aspergers Syndrome.

That LEGO would want to associate itself with a show that insults its fanbase, and perhaps more damningly, ridicules the differently abled, is a severe slap in the face of my lifelong LEGO affinity.
    matticus_bricks
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    ^ That sums up the reason why I'm shocked TBBT was picked. There is enough hate and controversy surrounding TBBT that I REALLY thought Lego would avoid a set. Also, even if Ideas is more for the AFOL crowd, it's still a Lego set, and the show really isn't suitable for kids.
    To be fair, I actually enjoy the show, but stopped watching a few seasons back due to life, other shows, etc.
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    I am really looking forward to TBBT set. I'm not an avid watcher of the series but I'm interested to see what legs they give Sheldon. I don't want him to be another enderman.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    Interesting conversation. I guess I need to watch it to form my own opinion.

As a set, though, knowing only little about the show, I will say I love the living room, with a mix of genders, and some cool science things in the room. Just from a set perspective it looks like a nice little set with some playability.
    The comedic premise of the show is that these guys are geniuses, full of intense knowledge about a multitude of things, but don't know how to interact with normal people and do things normal people do. Penny is not especially intelligent or knowledgeable, but does know these things.

So when the studio audience laughs at a geeky reference, it's laughing at the fact that the guys in the show know some arcane factoid or are experts in some complicated game but can't deal with some basic form of human interaction. It's ironic.

Chuck Lorre shows (and CBS sitcoms in general) do have a very mean-spirited side to them, but I can't fault TBBT for using its own comedic premise for joke fodder.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,150
    Good lord... if you can't laugh at yourself... then who can you laugh at? I too am a nerd (of sorts)... and find the show funny. What is even funnier is people who find political correctness under every rock. If you don't like the show... then don't watch it.

I guess if political correctness were around years ago... shows like the Beverly Hillbillies (making fun of hill folk)... Hogan's Heroes (making fun of Germans running POW camps), Petticoat Junction and Green Acres (making fun of country folk), Brady Bunch (making fun of divorced families), Tool Time (making fun of TV characters), etc...

I would like to see a comedy show making fun of political correctness... now that would be funny! :-)

I like TBBT, but think it doesn't make for a great LEGO idea... but as a "playscape", perhaps it would, so I won't be so judgemental...

Aanchir said:

I do feel like I'm laughing at myself. And do you know what? There's nothing wrong with that. Being able to laugh at yourself can be a blessing,

This. If you can't laugh at yourself no matter your situation then it isn't something wrong with others its you. Look at Stephen Hawking. He's been on the show and they have made fun of him on it. Most people would see just the jokes and say that is insensitive but if the subject of the joke is ok with it then no one else has a right to be upset about it.

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,874
    edited November 2014
    Incidentally, I also find it ironic that some people would say the show is belittling nerds and intellectuals, while also insinuating that the nerds and intellectuals who DO enjoy it are themselves too oblivious to realize they're being made fun of. When a joke is targeted at me or people like me, I am fully aware of it, but I'm not under any illusion that it qualifies as bullying or discrimination for a show to make a joke about me. I'm not under any illusion that I deserve "protection" from that kind of humor.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,458
    The only thing about TBBT getting picked that really upsets me is it re-opened my 'WHY NOT THE FIREFLY SET?!?!?' wounds. Not shiny.
    LostInTranslation
    ^ That is probably fairly easy to figure out. Typically when something happens like a show that ends up being a fan favorite gets cancelled and there is a lot of bad blood about it, the IP owners are probably reluctant to do anything with the license for whatever reason.
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    edited November 2014
    Just found out today that my wife's 63 year old mother is excited about this upcoming Lego set because she loves the show and she has never bought a set other than for her kids which are my wife and her older brother back in the 80's...

I didn't even know my wife's mother even watched that show...
    jasorAndor
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,660
    Pictures for the birds are out : http://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/22
    jasorLostInTranslationTXLegoguyBrickDancer
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    edited November 2014

Pictures for the birds are out : http://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/22

Love it! Going to be a day one purchase for me.

These ideas sets are very presentable and formal. Great to put out in the living room or shelf.
  • stickbug29stickbug29 United StatesMember Posts: 68
    edited November 2014
    Wow! I'm impressed by these. They look fantastically like art!
    Here's for everyone's convenience:

TXLegoguydougtsLegoKipsidersddmonkey
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,568
    They look great!
    Very cool. Definitely a day one. Interesting that they jumped the set number so much.
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    I like them! I wonder if they would try to cross market these to nature centers. I'd wager they'd sell very well there.
    LostInTranslation
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,568
    edited November 2014
    ^ I can definitely see them in National trust gift shops!

So what do we think price will be?
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    I'm guessing around £29.99
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,653
    edited November 2014
    It has 580 pieces so it's price may be high, please don't be more than £29.99.

Update: US $44.99

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Birds-21301
    ^ That isn't too bad for 580 pieces. Kind of like Creator set pricing.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    Wow! Good job LEGO.
    dougts
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    graphite said:

^ That isn't too bad for 580 pieces. Kind of like Creator set pricing.

and the brick/plates are not too specialized when looking at the pieces. Yes EXO suit is definitely cool....but the parts are really really really limited to just Space related if you MOC with them.
  • JahcursJahcurs Member Posts: 40
    Can't wait to get to this set, they are going to be such nice display models!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,864
    £39.99
  • Bluefairy_56Bluefairy_56 Member Posts: 320

For those of you too busy to read that post, I'll sum it up for you: The Big Bang Theory insults, belittles, and offends just about every minority group I can think of, in particular those who have Aspergers Syndrome

Ok as the mother of an Aspergers kid, I don't see how you get that. We all like TBBT, including my daughter.

I see this show as a group of young men and women who each has their own problems, shyness, phobias, OCD, etc etc and it shows the world. Just because it's funny doesn't mean they are belittling people. I understand you don't like the show, but others do.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    Darn, $44.99 USD vs 59.99 CAD. Quite a big difference!
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    I admit I was a bit disappointed by the Birds selection, but it actually looks really nice. I might buy it and build them for my mom, because she likes watching the birds in our backyard.
  • TheBrokenPlateTheBrokenPlate Member Posts: 28
    I think the Birds set is great. I'm not into licensed sets or minifigs, so it's nice to get a 'proper' Lego set once in a while. I'll definitely be getting this. I hope with the success of the VW Camper, Lego knows that it doesn't always need movie tie-ins and dumb minifigs to sell a set. An attractive, well designed model can be enough.
    I don't like the TBBT set at all, from the pics I've seen it looks like an awful set. No interest in that at all.
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    Nothing against Dr. Who, but I'm surprised it was even accepted on Ideas since one of the rules is that no submissions will be considered when a competitor already holds the right to playsets/minifigures.
    ^ It's largely believed that Character Options' license to Dr. Who building sets has expired or will expire. LEGO had been suppressing Dr. Who sets from being allowed on LEGO Ideas until earlier this year when they quite publicly made them eligible for consideration.

If you notice on CO's site they only list their minifigures, which are probably covered under their action figure license. They don't make the brick sets anymore.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I'm probably in the minority here but I'm so shocked that the birds project got 10,000 votes let alone was chosen as a project. I don't mean to sound offensive, I think the models look great, but I can't see the mass appeal. Maybe it's cause I'm such a fan of minifigures that a set like Birds will never look appealing to me.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,653
    Damn today I'm purchasing the Exo-Suit this happens every time! Just as I'm about to buy or bought a set something else gets announced a few days later.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    They've done a brilliant job with these. I'm not a bird enthusiast; I didn't think I would have any interest in the set when it was revealed, but I think I'll be getting these. They are presented beautifully.