Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What is your best way of saving up the money to buy LEGO?

I can't afford to buy every single LEGO set (which I would love to) but it's just not going to happen. But I'm just wondering how people on this amazing site save up in order to buy as much LEGO as they possibly can. Thanks in advance guys !!
Andor

Comments

• Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 860
    You pretty much have to forgo other things that you enjoy ie. going to movies, traveling, drinking etc. Unless if you're rich then it won't matter anyway :-P
    AndorThirdBuckEye
  • ThirdBuckEyeThirdBuckEye Member Posts: 44
    I make my wife pay all the bills! I buy the Legos ;) I don't think she likes our arrangement as much as I do!
    AndorT_Lars
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,057
    Alchemy.
    T_LarsrocaoBrickarmornatro220LegoKip
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    Step 1: Obtain a decent job (admittedly, the hard part)
    Step 2: Invest wisely for retirement, buy house(s), pay bills
    Step 3: Buy Lego and other stuff

The basic premise here is to spend (much) less than you earn, if possible. Anyway, why would you want to buy every set, or even most sets? Just buy only what you really want!
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    You can get into LEGO investing and the hobby will pay for itself. You can buy multiple sets and sell the extras, part them out, or sell the minifigs. All are excellent ways to fully fund the hobby without any money coming out of your regular paycheck. It involves work, but if you structure it right, you can minimize it.

Even if you run just a very small shop and make a $100 profit a month, that means you have a $100 budget every single month for LEGO. That's not too shabby. ;)
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 725
    A
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,920
    ^^ That's $100 profit *after taxes*, you have $100 to spend on lego.
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    Step one:Buy Lego sets
    Step two:???
    Step three:Profit

Seriously though, I just limit myself to buying two to three large sets a year and forego buying lots of smaller sets. I have found that I actually get more for my money that way.
    Shibyys4u
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    Employee discount.
  • BillybrownBillybrown UKMember Posts: 748
    edited November 2014
    1/ Have a job
    2/ Max up your credit cards to the hilt with Lego
    3/ Get sacked from your job for whatever excuse you can make them come up with.
    4/ Declare to credit card companies that your going bankrupt
    5/ Join a degree course - preferable that will lead to a well paid job
    6/ State to your card companies that your student loans barely pay for your survival.
    7/ Arrange a re-payment plan at 0% interest (again threathen bankrupcy).
    8/ Apply for further 0% student loans for hardship through the University
    9/ Set up business
    10/ Re-sell Lego @ 100% gross and up the re-payment plan according to affordability.

Only apply the above if you don't have any intentions of re-mortgaging/new mortgage and are willing to take a hit on your credit rating for a few years ;-)
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 675
    I budget a set amount every month for LEGO; generally enough to buy a couple of larger sets or several smaller ones. Twice a year I get an extra paycheck in the month; I use a % of this to make a bigger purchase (1-2 Modulars or a pricey old set or two). IF I get a bonus from the job, I'll also use a small % of that to buy more LEGO.

For me, it's a "chip away at the stone" strategy for accumulating all the sets I want; as long as TLG keeps making sets, it's a never-ending process. Lucky for me, it's also a fun journey!
    Andoryys4u
  • ericbericb Member Posts: 92
    I save all my change, putting it into a jar when I get home. The more change I get from a purchase, the better. After a year of saving, I'll have about $400.

I also use cash back rewards from my credit card toward LEGO purchases.
  • WoutStopmotionWoutStopmotion Member Posts: 33
    I don't have any way... i just spend everything on Lego. That's the best way.
    Supersympa
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    edited November 2014

1/ Have a job
    6/ State to your card companies that your student loans barely pay for your survival.
    9/ Set up business
    10/ Re-sell Lego @ 100% gross and up the re-payment plan according to affordability.

Only apply the above if you don't have any intentions of re-mortgaging/new mortgage and are willing to take a hit on your credit rating for a few years ;-)

So basically you can read this as "Sponge off friends/family for the 7 years it takes your credit rating to drop off the bad stuff plus another 3 - 5 years to build up your credit rating from scratch because you wont be getting a mortgage and are unlikely to get a rental agreement before then."? Yeah, no. Really bad idea.

It's possible to just skip 1 - 8 and start at 9.

P.S. Whilst credit rating/scoring organisations cannot use data on you after it is 7 years old, anything like county court judgements against you will be stored in public record indefinitely, so if you ever in the future have any hope of becoming a public figure such as a politician or the CEO/CFO of a large prominent company or similar you can expect that it may well be dragged out again and used against you under a public interest argument in the press.
    Andorbobabricks
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Hold your child out of school and declare that he/she has a learning disability and collect a Social Security Disability check from the government to spend on Lego.
    ThirdBuckEye
    Pitfall69 said:

Hold your child out of school and declare that he/she has a learning disability and collect a Social Security Disability check from the government to spend on Lego.

I have 2 kids.. Does that mean I could get twice as many Legos? ;}
    Pitfall69
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 326
    my lego fund gets 1 euro every few days then after 1 and half mths play argos against smyths and see who wins
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 824
    I think the idea is to basically not purchase any LEGO considering how expensive it is to live and enjoy a hobby like LEGO...

For me, most of my LEGO buying is just for my birthday/Christmas, so I guess that is how we afford it.

I don't have any joke answers like some on here...at least I hope they are joking :P
    Andor
    My last post was a horrible attempt by myself at humor. I would like to apologize if I offended anyone. I have 2 beautiful children a daughter soon to be 12 and a son who is 13. Unfortunately they do not enjoy Lego as much as I do.

Doesn't get much worse for an AFOL
    margot
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    I typically use cash back rewards from my credit card along with some newly infused cash to buy new LEGO. As some have mentioned before and I will echo, I only buy sparingly and what I really want. I never go "overboard".

Also, if I happen to sell something else say on Craigslist, I will use those funds to buy LEGO.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Sethro3 said:

I think the idea is to basically not purchase any LEGO considering how expensive it is to live and enjoy a hobby like LEGO...

For me, most of my LEGO buying is just for my birthday/Christmas, so I guess that is how we afford it.

I don't have any joke answers like some on here...at least I hope they are joking :P

Half joking. I know of people that have done some of things that have been mentioned so far.

• matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    Look for sets on sale (in-store, online, coupons, Amazon Warehouse Deals, whatever it takes) and sell the Minifigs on Bricklink, as long as they are reasonably valuable. You can get some cheap parts that way. Unfortunately, if you're also addicted to CMF and collecting older, rare Minifigs as I am, you kind of negate all your efforts. :(
    Andor
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    One tip I have (Which has already been touched on) is to think carefully about what you want and don't buy smaller sets that are just "OK", or because they are cheap enough to just buy on a whim.

I basically have a $500 a fortnight allowance (Not an actual allowance), with this I can do as I please, but it includes buying lunches and snacks at work if I don't bring food from home and it is also for any fun stuff I like to do.

One thing I find myself doing is picking up $50 -$150 sets just because, and so then I tend to take along time to get the bigger more expensive sets that I really want. I often think "if I didn't buy x,y & z sets, I could have got the Sandcrawler or Tumbler" by now.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    There used to be a lot of LEGO discounts at BrickFairVA and other LEGO events in the US. And many stores had 50-70 per cent discounts after the Christmas holidays. Barnes & Noble and TRU used to have "buy one, get one half off," which was the source of many of our parts used for building other things. When my son was 3-12, Wal-Mart always had massive sales after the holidays and before his birthday in March, so that is where many of our sets were bought before 2000. Up until about ten years ago, many stores used to wildly overstock for the holidays...not any more. Now they tend to run out of LEGO BEFORE Christmas!

There are not many options for finding those discounts unless you want to do the LEGO store route on bricklink. But sometimes there are great deals on bricklink when someone does not need or want the parts you need or want. So rather than buy a set we do not want just for a few parts, we tend to buy just those parts on bricklink for a low price after doing much searching and watching of prices decline as sets fall out of demand. We desire to collect many pieces that most people do not want, so that helps, too! US eBay used to have some good deals on sets and pieces, but those are rare these days; it seems that many eBay items are most likely stolen goods or sold by fraudulent sellers, so that has stopped most of those purchases.

I am afraid to open a store because we do not have the room or time to do it well, and don't want to get stuck holding more LEGO. No place to put what we already own. But this does sound like a smart strategy if you have the time, space, money to buy extras, and most importantly the knowledge of how to do it, which most of us mere mortals sorely lack. I am not convinced that most LEGO store owners know how to do it profitably with a reasonable investment of time, space and money.

And as your space fills up with LEGO, you will either have to dispose of some to make room for more and/or build a bigger house. We have become much more selective in what we buy and pass up discounted sets unless we really want them. We collect only the sets that jump out of the crowd and not most or all sets in a particular theme. Hope this helps.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    Personally, I determined/learned what I really want/liked and then stopped buying random sets. Saved a nice chunk of change doing that.
    Andorwaynegg
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    Oh, and don't buy duplicates because you bid on two eBay auctions for the same item (exclusives) in the hopes that you only get outbid on but end up winning both...
    Andor
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,984
    I joined a Lego site and then wait until the people on there are on holiday; rob their houses and replace all the Lego with megabloks.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBclb_best
    Hahaha! So the question is, how do you afford the megabucks to replace the LEGO you steal????
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,984
    Well that is even easier. When some one has bought a big bulk load of lego I go through their bins taking all the megabloks they throw away.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Basta said:

One tip I have (Which has already been touched on) is to think carefully about what you want and don't buy smaller sets that are just "OK", or because they are cheap enough to just buy on a whim.

Following along from this: Be wary of clearance sales. It's easy to spend a lot on sets you may not want simply because they're heavily discounted. Most sets look pretty tempting (at least for parts) at 50% off. When staring a good deal in its orange-stickered cardboard face on the shelf, it's easy to spend money you've allocated for something in the future on something you don't really need. A few months ago, I left two #7965 at 50% off on the shelf because the money I would have spent on them was earmarked for #10243 during October double points.

Another thing to be wary of is gotta-collect-'em-all syndrome. This almost happened to me with Mixels. Then I realized I only really like a few of the tribes, and to spend another $90 on small sets just to have the whole collection would be foolish.
    Basta said:

I basically have a $500 a fortnight allowance (Not an actual allowance), with this I can do as I please, but it includes buying lunches and snacks at work if I don't bring food from home and it is also for any fun stuff I like to do.

Sheesh. My yearly LEGO budget isn't even $500 (AUD or USD).
    monkeyAndor
    Xefan said:

1/ Have a job
    9/ Set up business

So basically you can read this as "Sponge off friends/family for the 7 years it takes your credit rating to drop off the bad stuff plus another 3 - 5 years to build up your credit rating from scratch because you wont be getting a mortgage and are unlikely to get a rental agreement before then."? Yeah, no. Really bad idea.

It's possible to just skip 1 - 8 and start at 9.

P.S. Whilst credit rating/scoring organisations cannot use data on you after it is 7 years old, anything like county court judgements against you will be stored in public record indefinitely, so if you ever in the future have any hope of becoming a public figure such as a politician or the CEO/CFO of a large prominent company or similar you can expect that it may well be dragged out again and used against you under a public interest argument in the press.
    I never mentioned anything about sponging off family or friends nor did I mention about getting a CCJ.

Point 10 states 're-payment plan according to affordability'. This of course refers to incomings and outgoings. In a nutshell you can get the credit and arrange re-payment @ 0% interest BEFORE any CCJ. This is what I did. Granted its not the easiest of approaches but it's work for me, looking at the business model and making sure its viable.

Well that is even easier. When some one has bought a big bulk load of lego I go through their bins taking all the megabloks they throw away.

Wow! Come to think of it, I have received a lot of Megablocks in several eBay purchased of LEGO. but instead of throwing away the MB, I take it to the Salvation Army, etc., because some kid might enjoy those blocks.
    Redbullgivesuwind

I never mentioned anything about sponging off family or friends nor did I mention about getting a CCJ.

When you threaten bankruptcy and refuse to pay that's exactly what you'll end up getting if the the lender has no good will towards you. In fact, if the lender finds out you were actually lying about an inability to repay because you have decent income from Lego sales they may end up taking you to court regardless to repay the interest you would otherwise have paid had you not made fraudulent claims about affordability if that's what you did. You're not out of the CCJ woods yet and you wont be until you've paid off every last penny of debt.

As I said you wont get a mortgage and you'll struggle to get a rental agreement, and finding a place is hard enough without having to look for somewhere dodgy enough to accept cash in hand. Thus, sponging is probably about the only option, if it's not friends and family what's your alternative? sponging off the state by demanding a council house when there are people who need one more urgently for reasons other than their own financial incompetence such as redundancy? sponging off a charity by taking residence in their homeless shelter? Even if you've managed to somehow get away with doing this it doesn't mean it's a given when you do what you have done.

It's a stupid risk to take however you cut it.

Point 10 states 're-payment plan according to affordability'. This of course refers to incomings and outgoings. In a nutshell you can get the credit and arrange re-payment @ 0% interest BEFORE any CCJ. This is what I did. Granted its not the easiest of approaches but it's work for me, looking at the business model and making sure its viable.

It's not just not the easiest of approaches, it's a plain stupid approach. Teetering on the edge of bankruptcy is not and will never be a sensible "business model". You seem to be making out what you did is harmless but you'll still have ended up as a default on your credit file as you defaulted on your original agreement.

You can get decent 0% interest lending without having to threaten bankruptcy if you bother to manage your money properly in the first place and it'll give you ample resources to set up a reselling business without ruining your credit report. Building up so much debt that you can't afford to repay without having to set up an emergency arrangement with the lender is unnecessary.

What you're really trying to do is deal with your insecurity surrounding your financial failure by telling yourself and others that it's okay, you're actually being really really clever. You're not, not at all, so don't try and sell it to people, keep your insecurity to yourself. The last thing anyone needs is to end up in your situation because you gave them the impression it was a good idea.
    AndorRedbullgivesuwind
    Xefan said:

As I said you wont get a mortgage and you'll struggle to get a rental agreement, and finding a place is hard enough without having to look for somewhere dodgy enough to accept cash in hand. Thus, sponging is probably about the only option, if it's not friends and family what's your alternative?

He could build a lego house, James May style.

Xefan
    In his parent's back garden?
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    I basically keep selling off what i have left of my video game collection to fund my Lego hobbie. With just my job now and having a family, more bills etc i wouldn't be able to afford them. I was very lucky in that the particularly games i purchased in 2006 -2007 shot up in price over 2-4 years. some to 5x times what i paid for them.

To give you a idea, heres one i paid around £230, this is what it sells for now. sold mine for roughly £750.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PULSTAR-shmup-SNK-Neo-Geo-AES-JAPAN-Very-Good-Condition-/400743613073?pt=FR_Jeux_Vidéo&hash=item5d4e2e4291

• wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    Open throw away bank account
    Get payday loan from one of the crook payday loan companies for max amount, securing with debit card
    Immediately close throw away bank account
    Beat "legal" loan shark at his own game
    Buy moar LEGO
    minicoopers11
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    I assumed Billybrown was joking in his 10 point post above.

Anyway, I don't think this thread is really of benefit and think it should be closed.
  • mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 292
    I've got pretty strict lately - I have a jar that I put £2, £1 and 50p's whenever I have them. It is surprisingly called 'The LEGO fund Jar'. If there's no money in the jar then there's no LEGO. I raided it last week to purchase the Parisian Restaurant. Makes me appreciate what I purchase much more too
  • minicoopers11minicoopers11 USAMember Posts: 104
    My method is/was: don't buy a second car. ;)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332

I assumed Billybrown was joking in his 10 point post above

Sadly not, he's mentioned doing some of it before. He did fail to include the final step.

11 abuse Lego staff when his (and his parents) childish attempts to bypass purchase limits of highly hard to find sets fail.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited November 2014

...I don't think this thread is really of benefit and think it should be closed.

Well, that settles it. If mountebank thinks it should be closed, then mods please close it!

Here's an idea that works for me: If I don't like a thread and feel it's of no benefit to me, I simply don't click on it. I don't try to spoil others' fun just because it happens to be of no benefit to me as an individual.

I assumed Billybrown was joking in his 10 point post above

Sadly not, he's mentioned doing some of it before. He did fail to include the final step.

11 abuse Lego staff when his (and his parents) childish attempts to bypass purchase limits of highly hard to find sets fail.
    Meow

• natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    To answer the original posters question: one way I've funded my spending the last few years was to be willing to part with the sets I bought that skyrocketed in value. 10179 UCS MF...Taj Mahal, Grand Carousel, Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Eiffel Tower. Just by selling those few sets I made over $3000 in profit, which was mostly put back into buying a lot of newer Lego Exclusives.

My view is, I put them together, enjoyed them, but then was willing to part with them with the view that I could get a lot more with the profits than by keeping them. Yes, to some on here this is blasphemy...but it's worked for me.
    I heard it was more bark bark, woof woof. :-)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,834

1/ Have a job
    9/ Set up business

So, 1-10 (and 11) equates to 'How to Lie and Cheat Your Way Through Life.' Might not be a bestseller, but it certainly couldn't harm the business model.
  • aldreddaldredd United KingdomMember Posts: 203
    I mainly build technics. I keep an eye out on eBay for good deals - usually large bulk lots, local collection only etc.
    I then clean it all up, order new stickers, instructions, parts - then any set I don't wish to keep, I sell on.
    This way, I get the enjoyment of building lego without the continuous £££ outlay, and means I only keep hold of the sets I like the most - I also get a lot of satisfaction of 'restoring' a 'neglected' set.

Any profit I then use to a) buy more bulk orders, b) buy new sets I want, such as the modulars.

I only came out of my 2nd Dark Age around March April, but haven't spent any 'new' money since around June/July - and I'm buying weekly / building daily.

I have a large excel tracker so I know everything I've bought, what I paid etc.