Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What would you do if Lego suddenly went bust tomorrow?

RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,741
As I was sorting through my Lego collection yesterday trying to finally bring it under control. I was struck with a thought what would I do if through some horrible twist of fate Lego ceased trading tomorrow. Having mulled it over I think that I would simply buy from other building blocks companies and switch allegiance, but then try and buy older lego sets on the side.

Would everyone else do?

Comments

• veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
    Save money!!
    Drmnezandhe
    Spend less.....
    Drmnez
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,509
    Mass buying of current stocks would happen.
    ........ and make do with the lego I have already in my collection. I would however be disappointed that the modular line would not grow.
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    It's interesting to think about.. if you mean what would happen if there were no more TLG producing product then I think that there would be a frenzy to scoop up any and all remaining stock in the channel and then secondary market prices would skyrocket. And I mean SKYROCKET.
    404_11
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    Cry.

Don't judge me.
    BrickDancerCircleKAdzbadboyAndorBuriedinBricksEddieDoesntMindbobabrickswagnerml2margot
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,330
    Motivation to invent time travel and stop it from happening
    dejavuAdzbadboyGothamConstructionCoAndor
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,621
    As for my LEGO collection it would be sad as many of us have spent hours and hours building with the iconic brick plus it's part of most childhoods. I pray that that day never comes, this year was LEGO's biggest and successful move yet and I hope it grows further as I'm inspired and determined to become a product designer at LEGO. I'm working on many LEGO MOC's and studying BA Product Design at Middlesex University.

If any of you are curious to see my work it can be found on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Andor
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,392
    I don't know. Build something? I have plenty.
    bobabricks
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    Continue MOCing my bricks...

Write music about the demise of Lego.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,306
    Go to BL and brickowl and start buying up the rare pieces/colors as I doubt LEGO would stop being sought after.
    Andor
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Play with what I have....it definitely is enough entertainment for many, many years! (Fortunately this scenario of no more LEGO does not sound likely!)
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    Switch to Star bricks. The quality is just as good, sometimes better. Its just the stigma of 'non-LEGO' that keeps me away at the moment.
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    ^ I did a quick google search, but am not sure what you are referring to. You have a handy link on Star Bricks?
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,264
    I would probably lobby the British government to bail out the company.
    GothamConstructionCo
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,509

I would probably lobby the British government to bail out the company.

Leave the EU buy TLG.

Too good an investment for any of our politicians to put through though.
    Andor
  • MurstensonMurstenson Member Posts: 6
    For me it is bit funny this kind of question came up. I was still in my "dark time" around -99/00. But started, for some reason, to pick up a lot of Technic-sets that time. I put them in storage and forgot about them. 2 years ago I came out for real of the "dark time", and after picking up info, I understand today that TLG was in a bit economically shaky period that time. And I had obviously somewhere read about it, and started to hoard...but I never built, I was still in darkness!
    Would I do the same today, if TLG had problem?...most likely;-)
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    Natebw said:

^ I did a quick google search, but am not sure what you are referring to. You have a handy link on Star Bricks?

Here's some for sale on aliexpress: http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1693727881.html
    Natebw
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,698
    It would be nice to think if LEGO went bust I'd be able to put a decent meal down on the table, but alas, I rather think my ridiculous annual spend would just be put towards therapy instead.
    NatebwThirdBuckEyeRedbullgivesuwindmargot
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,467
    Get to my nearest Lego shop and buy as much Lego as possible. :)

Then relax and save my money for a new Ferrari next year. :)
    Okay, a new Ferrari, maybe after 10 years.
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    I'd just be really sad for a few weeks.
    Andor
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534

As I was sorting through my Lego collection yesterday trying to finally bring it under control. I was struck with a thought what would I do if through some horrible twist of fate Lego ceased trading tomorrow. Having mulled it over I think that I would simply buy from other building blocks companies and switch allegiance, but then try and buy older lego sets on the side.

Would everyone else do?

I'd hurry and get the parts and sets I want then I'd move to the clones.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I'd feel sorry for the girls I know in Manchester that would be out of a job. I'd grab at least one last decent set and then I'd carry on as normal
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    Sell all my Lego - like immediately. Sell for the first bid I get.
    Did that all yesterday.

What? You mean the didn't go bust?
    Oh s&*^%*(.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 852
    Its a bit of a double edged sword. On one hand, I love Lego. On the other, I get to save money... if I have everything I want. If not, my wallet and I may need to have a serious discussion.

In all seriousness, saving/spending on something else would be nice. Probably saving mostly. Lego I'd the only collection I currently have.
    Andor
  • TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    I also collect die-cast cars on the side, so I would have more money to collect them! But I love LEGO, so I would probably buy as much as I could for the foreseeable future, and accumulate a massive horde of it! (not that I already have one...)
    Andorwoony2
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited November 2014
    I would do more of other hobbies: guitar, model trains, etc. Also, I would just buy more substitute products. This, for instance.
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    edited November 2014
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,741
    It is interesting to see that lots of people would either buy up Lego or save the money. Very few would switch aligence.
    Drmnezandhebobabricks
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,330
    Just an interesting parallel: In the early 2000s Palisades toys released Muppet action figures. excellent well sculpted toys with a high level of detail that I don't really think I have seen since. I collected those and bought almost every figure they ever released (Muppets and puppetry will always be my number one passion as I am puppeteer). They were going to release a Sesame street set when the company went bust. I still have all those figures prominently on display. Can't add to them but certainly would not part with them. I guess that is pretty much how I would deal with Lego too. I would prize what I had.
    AndorRedbullgivesuwind
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,592
    I'm not sure prices would go up if Lego went bust. If they went bust, it would mean people were not willing to give them money in exchange for their wares. If people were still willing to pay for their stuff, then either the family, or whoever ended owning the company would continue churning them out. If people are not willing to pay for their stuff, then why would prices rise?

So an alternative question, what would you do if Lego decided to reboot Galidor at the expense of every other line? :-)
    AndorRedbullgivesuwind
  • CCC said:

So an alternative question, what would you do if Lego decided to reboot Galidor at the expense of every other line? :-)

How is that any different than the question in the title of the topic? ;-)
    Oldfanbobabricks
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I would devolve into an AFOMB. You all know what the MB stands for. Don't make me say it.
    ThirdBuckEyebobabricks
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    CircleK said:

I would devolve into an AFOMB. You all know what the MB stands for. Don't make me say it.

Mega bloks. Honestly the way things are going, I trying mb is becoming a major threat to the company. While MB is trying new things and creating some really adorable stuff like the my life as line, Lego is starting to kragle themselves into a rut.
  • ChrisbstmChrisbstm USAMember Posts: 151
    Id go to the swap meet a lot more, cause I'm pretty sure stuff would pop up there fairly quick
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,720
    I'd like to think that I'd save money and live happily ever after talking about the good old days when they made 'real lego' not this cheap plastic stuff that kids have these days.

But in reality I'd probably find something else to collect/obsess over.
    OldfanbobabricksGalactus
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    Probably start looking for other toy companies to apply for jobs with. I mean, somebody's got to rise up to fill the void LEGO leaves behind in the construction toys sector, and seeing as working for LEGO has been pretty much a lifelong dream for me, I'd have to start looking for the nearest alternative. There aren't any other toy brands I have the same passion for, but I wouldn't want to give up my dreams of toy design entirely.
    RedbullgivesuwindLegoboy
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    Hard question. If that happened today, I'd be severely upset and, like others, try to get my hands on as much as possible. I would imagine everything would be massively discounted, so to sell products as soon as possible, so in a way, it would be a great opportunity to gather a cheap stockpile. If this scenario occurred when I was a kid, I would jump ship to Mega Bloks. I have to admit, I used to have several Mega Bloks Pyrates and Dragons sets as a kid, and I always found them to be more enjoyable to "play" with than LEGO. But as far as creative potential, MB remains in the realm of "toys", whereas there is no comparison to LEGO for modeling mediums.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    Finally have a chance to catch up building the rest of the sets I have in boxes :D
    LegoboyAdzbadboy
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,173
    If Lego went bust, I'd be really sad because of what we know is to come. i probably go hunt for some retired sets.

A few more waves of Super Heroes would be enough for me. You can't dangle Green Lantern, Cyborg, Brainiac, and the other DC sets without getting your hands on them. Also I need more Avengers for my Marvel side... Vision, Ultron, scarlet witch....

Honestly, after another modular building I can rest happy with my mini town and super heroes collection.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 852
    I'd be happy if Lego stopped making the super heroes lines after the last infinity war movie. That'd be a good stopping point. Stop dc too so I can keep my money.
    Andor
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,698

Finally have a chance to catch up building the rest of the sets I have in boxes :D

Lol, I'm not sure I'll ever catch up.
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • Cosworth3dCosworth3d Member Posts: 42
    start Lego 2.0