Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Church Set

2»

Comments

• plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    Istokg said:

Unless there were more than 1 of the lighting kits included in the 1309 Church Set, there would only have been 1 lighting brick inside each of the Churches... not 5 different.

In that case, why the 4 coloured ones? Just so you could swap if you wanted to?
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,261
    Actually we're not sure of the origins of the different colored bricks...just part of someone's private collection of rare parts.

The 245/1245 set always has been found only with the trans-clear bricks (so far). And we've not yet found a boxed 1309 Church Set with the Lighting brick to verify. These bricks just add speculation.... ;-)
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,571
    Question for you Gary. Do you know of a place where I could get replacement bulbs for the old lighting bricks? I do have several but only 2 of them are currently working.
    edited November 2014
    No... sorry I don't know of any at the moment. I once had 33 of these in an Ebay lot... but they were all sold years ago. :-(

They were sold individually by LEGO retailers back in the 1960s under the 245A, 445A and 986 numbers. Retailers would get a box of 100 of these from TLG in this type of box....

The retailers used to sell them individually, and package them in this type of small paper bags just for that use...

(Images from my LEGO collectors guide chapter on "Individual LEGO Part Sales".)
    madforLEGO
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 528
    It's a 4.5V fuse bulb. I would try a hardware store first and explain what you're looking for. I've seen them at my local Ace before, but it's been while. You might also try Radio Shack.

1309/309 with a light brick would look really cool. I might have to try it. I like the other light brick colors. Too bad they weren't produced.
    madforLEGO
    Another interesting variation to this early Norwegian 1309 Church set was that it likely came with red small classic windows, instead of the white ones shown on the box.

This mid 1957 Norwegian Retailer pricelist shows red windows on the tiny church model image...

This anomaly matches that of other early Norwegian model sets that also supposedly came with white windows, but red ones were included. The Norwegian 1306 VW Service set is another one that is known to have come with red windows (early solid stud ones)...

This scenario of different window colors in an old set happened several times in early LEGO sets. A later scenario also happened with the 1968 era USA Samsonite LEGO version of the 343 Ferry Set, which also had red windows, instead of white ones as found in other countries around the world.
    madforLEGO
  • Niels_TNiels_T Member Posts: 42
    To bad this thread came this late, because the glued church from that museum has just been up at an action, at Lauritz.com sorry dont know end price. I'll try looking for more of the sale.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5616/15597332459_aab831f4d7_b.jpg

The toy museum is closing down and selling all inventory. Church is gone however :-(

FYI.

Article about sale, sorry danish page
    bt.dk/danmark/se-den-vilde-samling-legetoej-for-15-mio.-kr.
    Niels_T thanks for the info on that Danish Museum closing down... too bad really! Glad I got the image of the glued display model!
    madforLEGO
    Among the 4 1957 introduced Town model sets, only the 309/1309 has the same box top image.

Here are some very nice images that will be in my next collectors guide update (free to current owners)... showing the differnt box designs from the side and top...

The other sets (besides the Church Set) all have different printed bricks (rather than share the same printed brick as the Church set has). Here we see the box tops that reflect this in the 307/1307 VW Showroom Set.

Shown (starting upper left, going clockwise)... are the box top to the 1307 Sweden, 1307 Germany, 1307 Denmark/Norway, and the 307 for all continental Europe.

The 306/1306 VW Garage comes in 4 box top version (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Cont. Europe), and the 308/1308 Fire Station should come in 5 different box tops (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Cont. Europe). but so far only the Denmark and Cont. Europe versions of the 308/1308 have been found.
    AndormadforLEGO
  • whisperwill28whisperwill28 NevadaMember Posts: 11
    What is the value $ of a lego church 2nd edition complete with box used but in great shape?

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,571
    ^ That depends on the market. Post some pictures so we can look at it. 
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,696
    A new one would be nice.
    edited September 2017
    Most of the value in the church set is the condition of the box and inserts.  An outer box without tape (or worse where the tape took some box paper off when it was removed) is much more highly prized than one with tape or tape marks.   LEGO retailers had a bad habit of taping these boxes closed.... and it's not removable tape!!

Also beware of fake boxes or inserts. 

The 1762 brick is the most valuable part, most others are rather common, although made of Cellulose Acetate.

This set was never sold outside of Europe.
    catwranglerwhisperwill28
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    I'm happy this thread got bumped - hadn't seen it before but I really enjoyed seeing the Lego churches! Still have to get around to that cathedral MOC...
    whisperwill28sid3windrLittleLori
  • mdtvandymdtvandy USAMember Posts: 61

As I was looking through the current Architecture range, it occurred to me that the Venice Skyline set includes a church--St. Mark's Basilica--and includes the lion emblem of the Evangelist. Does anyone think this represents a change in LEGO policy?

• sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    edited September 2017
    ^I know persons say there is a religious policy, but I have yet to find anything official. Do you know where that policy might be found? Is it merely internal (don't talk about Fight Club kind of thing)?
    They often have religious referenced material, though rarely explicit the last few decades. I am not sure how you would do the Venice landmarks without St. Mark's, though.

Edit: I hope they warm up to this a bit. I would love some cathedrals, or one of the greats, anyway.
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,696
    ^I know persons say there is a religious policy, but I have yet to find anything official. Do you know where that policy might be found? Is it merely internal (don't talk about Fight Club kind of thing)?
    They often have religious referenced material, though rarely explicit the last few decades. I am not sure how you would do the Venice landmarks without St. Mark's, though.

Edit: I hope they warm up to this a bit. I would love some cathedrals, or one of the greats, anyway.
    You can find it on Lego Ideas in their rules.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645

You can find it on Lego Ideas in their rules.
    Remember they get to interpret what they mean by their brand values.

The Venice set would be severly lacking if there was no St Marks, so they decide to include it as it will sell well.

They don't do national war memorials either, yet they still produced the Arc du Triomphe as it will sell well.

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,903
    I think context plays a big role in what LEGO will or won't have in sets. Having a real-life church as a small part of a larger set focusing on the architecture of Venice is much different than having an entire church set with more of a focus on the building's religious significance. Same as how LEGO might include casks in Castle or Pirates sets (or licenses falling within the same genres) but not make, say, a modern-day pub in City sets.
    gmonkey76stluxOnebricktoomanydatsunrobbie
    @Aanchir @CCC that makes sense for a company, to roll with the times and perception; that is what good companies do! So keeping it flexible is very helpful for them. When much of our current western climate is fixed rigidity and taking sides, sometimes you miss the flexibility when it is staring you in the face.
    edited September 2017
    Here are some other TLG LEGO church designs thru the years....

This is an image from a 1960 # 238 Building Idea Book No. 1, of a modern church.

This church was also available as a glued display model for continental European LEGO retailers, as seen in the window of this 1960 Odense Denmark Toy Shop (middle front).

Here is a Saxon Church as seen the Building Ideas Book No. 2 (UK/Ireland/Austalia) of 1962-64...

Here is a church as an alternate model for Minitalia LEGO Set #1 of 1970-72.

Here is a mid 1970s continental European glued display model of a church with a series of brick built nuns built into the church model...

Images from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide.

RogerKirkcatwranglermadforLEGOLazstluxMynattSeanTheCollector
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,528

lego store les halles, Paris. (it's not actually yellow, just forgot to configure my camera).

LegogramricecakestluxOnebricktoomanyMynattecmo47
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,043
    Here is a church I built several years ago.
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=261434
    catwranglerLegogramLuLego
  • LazLaz ItalyMember Posts: 1
    Hey Gary! I stumbled into one of those mid 1970s continental European glued display models still in the wild!

This one is in Venice, right next to another window with a model of one of Donald Duck's nephews (unfortunately not made with LEGO bricks, but with a different old Italian block system, Plastic City).

I remember these windows from when I was a child in the 1980s and used to go to Venice during the summer... and they're still there, even though the toy shop is long gone! The models had become somewhat "historical", so they were kept there. I took these photos three years ago, but they should still be there.

LuLegostluxOnebricktoomanyMynattSirBenBumblepantssid3windrcatwrangler
    Thanks @Laz !!

I had never seen a variation without the steeple on top of the tower before... very nice!!

That same church (with steeple) was seen in a 1976 Open House of the new LEGO Netherlands offices, with the late Godtfred Kirk Christiansen (with glasses) was showing the late Prince Clause of the Netherlands a large display of glued LEGO models.  The church is right next to the model of the Dutch Royal Palace of Soestdijk....

Image from my Unofficial LEGO Collectors Guide...
    stluxcatwranglerFowlerBricks
    edited December 2017
    And while we're on LEGO churches.... the first known example (not found in the Billund LEGO Vault)... of the 1309 LEGO Church set with the 1245 Lighting Set (mentioned on page 1 of this thread) has been found in Norway.... the set includes a 2x4 clear brick with bulb, red cables to attach to a battery on the other end, and a white 1x2 brick with a hole for the cable to go thru...

So far this is the only known shortlived (1957) version (with lighting device) of this 1309 set.

LusiferSamstluxpharmjodsonsofscevaLazSirBencatwrangler
    As always, very interesting history lesson, @Istokg !
    Istokg