Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How many Minifigs do you own (how many is too many)?

13»

Comments

• CHERUBboyCHERUBboy Member Posts: 98
    The problem with absolute authenticity, assuming you use all the right bits, is that the only way to tell that one fig is more authentic than another is if it is sealed in it's original packaging.

As soon as you open the box and build something, it's just a collection of unverifiable parts.

The same arguments apply to classic cars, art, old buildings and just about anything else of historic value.

For instance. If someone finds Fangio's wrecked Ferrari rusting in a barn and restores it using mostly new parts, or parts cannibilised from another car, it's clearly not as authentic as one that has been on display in the Ferrari museum since the day he pulled it off the racetrack. It's still a very nice thing to own though!

The car with detailed history will be worth more than the restored one. However, how many pieces of used Lego come with any kind of verifiable history? Virtually none. Once they're out of the box, they're just bits of plastic.

The gold standard is Lego sealed in it's original box. But then, you've got to be 100% sure that nobody has tampered with the contents, and that 30 years floating around unbuilt hasn't scratched the unseen parts inside.

If you use the 1950s Ferrari and have to replace the original clutch with an identiacl 2014 Ferrari clutch, does that make it less authentic? But who'd want to own a classic Ferrari and never drive it?

If you repaint your Ferrari with modern spray techniques to protect the bodywork, is it less authentic? But if you don't the original metal will rust.

Is a 1978 Lego knight with a high quality repro sticker on it's torso more authentic than a knight with a brown peeling sticker where the glue has largly broken down? Even a mint original sticker sheet will have 30 year old glue, that will eventually break down.

The issue of whether your collection is truly 'authentic,' is a philosophical one. My philosophy is to try and display every minifigure variant looking as close as possible to the condition it was in the day it came out of the Lego factory.

If someone else wants to go for a smilar collection with 100% fresh-from-the-set parts, (backed by video evidence of each one being opened and built, presumably?), I'll be the first to bow down in awe at their tenacity (and enormous wallet!).
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Pitfall69 said:

I would never place most of my minifigures on a baseplate or Lego minifigure stand to display my minifigures. I would think that this would damage the feet.

@Pitfall69‌ - I have my entire CMF collection stored on their display plates. Maybe I should rethink that. In what way does this damage the feet - Are they more prone to cracking or something? What about storing them with their accessories in hand?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,388
    @CCC‌ Yeah, no problem here. When I saw "every minifigure listed on Bricklink" my Lego mind assumed EVERY minifigure; not every unique minifigure. I used to collect coins and my mind would work the same if someone said that they had every particular coin (quarter, nickel etc), but then I found out that they didn't have the ones minted at different cities. It is just how my mind works; that's all :)
    CircleK said:

Pitfall69 said:

I would never place most of my minifigures on a baseplate or Lego minifigure stand to display my minifigures. I would think that this would damage the feet.

@Pitfall69‌ - I have my entire CMF collection stored on their display plates. Maybe I should rethink that. In what way does this damage the feet - Are they more prone to cracking or something? What about storing them with their accessories in hand?
    I have had some newer minifigure feet crack. It may have been just a bad batch from production. The CMF's are made in China and from what I understand; they are their quality isn't as good. I don't know how minifigures are graded, but I would imagine when placed on a stud, the inside of the feet get "damaged" and that might lower the rating of the minifigure. Again, I'm real anal about my collection and I know there are people far worse than I am :)

• CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Pitfall69 said:

CircleK said:

Pitfall69 said:

I have had some newer minifigure feet crack. It may have been just a bad batch from production. The CMF's are made in China and from what I understand; they are their quality isn't as good. I don't know how minifigures are graded, but I would imagine when placed on a stud, the inside of the feet get "damaged" and that might lower the rating of the minifigure. Again, I'm real anal about my collection and I know there are people far worse than I am :)

Gotcha. Yeah there is no way a fig would be mint after it's assembled even once. I've complained several times about the fact that accessories get gouged and scratched once you place them in the figs hand and it's nearly impossible to avoid. This is especially true of the CMF with the softer plastic accessories. It drives me insane when I see small scratches on a spear, bow, etc so I can relate to being anal about your collection.

Funny thing is I originally got into CMF to make play time fun with my kids. Now I doubt I will ever let them touch my collection. Kind of ridiculous when I say it out loud.
    Angel_C
    ^I totally understand :) My daughter loves playing with the minifigures. I will not let her touch mine ;)
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    1224, but it's been a few months since I've updated my Brickset collection. I wonder where I'd be if I didn't have two dark ages - 1994-1999 and 2000-2012.
  • blasterfishblasterfish Member Posts: 20
    brickset says my sets contain over 700 minifigs but i still have about 4kg spare figs from bulk lots that are not in a set of mine
  • RealmwatcherRealmwatcher Member Posts: 14
    1053 according to Brickset, probably closer to 1100 with misc acquisitions, like eBay and the like.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Ugh, while most of my sets are still MISB, I started to count the figures in my collection. Since one of the sets was on the shelf in from of me, it's a small line of only 19 sets and I know off the top of my head exactly how many of each that I have, I started with the Indiana Jones theme. I have 133 figures amidst all the copies of sets from that line. That was enough to convince me not to even begin trying to count up all of the Town, Space, Castle, Pirates, City, Adventurers and other assorted lines and sets that I have to say nothing of individual figures and unopened cases of the CMFs.
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    edited November 2014
    I have something over 400 minifigures and 99% are SW.
    Andor
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    According to my Brickset minifig inventory I have 400, mostly CMFs (all of them bar Mr Gold. Although I do have a custom to try and fill that void) and SH. In addition there's probably another 200 from my childhood sets and maybe another 200 from random sets, spare CMFs and the case of Simpsons CMFs I've squirreled away.

Hmm, didn't quite realise it had got to that kind of level, (even though its miles behind some).
  • yodalegoyodalego Member Posts: 6
    According to my Brickset Inventory, out of my 2015 sets "You own 8194 minifigs." Yikes, better not tell the kids!!