Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Anybody good at graphic design?

Hey Bricksetters!

I have been looking at the November Lego variant DC comics and I think they're pretty cool and I will be purchasing some of them.

BUT I have just discovered "Arrow" in a major way (Stephen Amell, where have you been all my life? ;-)) and have been reading up on the Green Arrow characters and back story so I was disappointed to see there is no Green Arrow variant cover :-(

So I was wondering if anybody on here who is good at graphic design might be able to take the basic template used by all the DC Lego variants and the images of the Green Arrow minifigure from the forthcoming Batman 3 game DLC and come up with a custom front cover design featuring GA that I could include with my collection of official comics?

I'd obviously be willing to pay a reasonable amount for your time and efforts but I also wondered if others would be interested too and we could lower the design costs by having a number of them printed?

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this.

Shib

Comments

• TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    This is a cool idea!
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    edited November 2014
    This is the image I'm thinking of. Don't know if it could be cropped and copied directly or if it'd need more work.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    I know of several people on Flicker who design their own stickers, I'm not sure about minifigs though...
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 897
    I dabble a bit and but I think you would need a higher resolution GA pic to make it work.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    nexander said:

I dabble a bit and but I think you would need a higher resolution GA pic to make it work.

Yeah, you'd be surprised how high a resolution you need for something to look good in a high quality print.
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    You dont need high resolution to look good in print....
    I printed a photo with poor quality, that turned out great, but you do need a good artist.
    Norlego said:

You dont need high resolution to look good in print....
    I printed a photo with poor quality, that turned out great, but you do need a good artist.

That depends how you're printing, right? What kind of paper, the quality of the printer, where it's going to be seen/displayed. Admittedly, I'm not a pro (I've used Inkscape once or twice and Paint.NET a heck of a lot...that's the extent of my qualification), but my rule of thumb has always been that if it's in a higher resolution, it can always scale down, but not vice versa.

This is a little bit of a moot point, really, because whichever of us is right, the attached picture is still too low-res for a glossy A5-sized comic-book cover print.
    AndorShib
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    Agreed.
    I have printed colour covers and you need to print a lot or it is expensive. In his case it will be digital print on high quality paper. Should not cost to much.
    The attached illustrations are no good but he might have access to higher res suitable for printing. I assume there are orginals out there somewhere.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,287
    You might have a few other problems using that image. The other covers are meant to look like they are coming through the page* (for the most part) and that pose really doesn't do that. Also the image has the bow cropped off the page and there is a smoke over the top.
    It goes far beyond my basic design capabilities otherwise I'd love to help. I have got all the DC Lego comics ordered, I was very surprised to see there wasn't a GA one.

*The covers are actually based on the designs DC used for their new 52 arc issue 0s so you might want to look at Green Arrow issue 0 for a reference image.

• jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    can i get an example of an existing cover? I'm ignorant of them, as I'm not fancy enough to have any.

I figure...if I can magically reduce 75lbs off a woman paying me to edit her holiday pic, I may be able to work some kind of magic.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    nevermind. I found this link. so, something like this?

http://www.fbtb.net/2014/08/07/ign-reveals-dc-comics-lego-variant-covers/
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    The pose would be ok (it matches at least one of the others), but as @Shib says the bigger issues are the bow being cropped and the various smoke and shading over the image. This is also the biggest image I've found, still far too small for a decent print.

http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/imce/2014/10-OCT/LB3-PS4DLCVoucher_TEMPLATE_03-DLC-Arrow-1a_580_5438a2b5a4d123.52899865.jpg
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 897
    The bow and smoke etc are fixable. Using that resolution would require the image to be completely redone, a much bigger job, but I'm curious about doing it!

I know how u feel @jasor‌ , had to 'slim down' a few ladies on a friends birthday pictures a while back.
    jasor
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    How large are the comic covers? A quick search suggests a 10" height is typical. The pose in the image shown is similar to the Harley Quinn cover. If the cover is indeed 10" in height, she is 6" tall from head to feet (i.e. not including the hammer). In the larger image linked to by @cheshirecat, Green Arrow is about 1.8" tall at a resolution of 300 ppi (which is generally the industry standard for "high resolution", though comics may use something higher). So you'd really need an image that is about three times larger and there is still the issue of the bow being cut off and the feet being obscured.
  • MilseyMilsey UKMember Posts: 48
    This is my weak attempt! At least it shows what could be achieved with some photoshop skills (mine are seriously lacking)
    jasor
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,287
    If a workable version of that image cant be found someone with the game and dlc might be able to get an appropriate screenshot.
    Shib said:

If a workable version of that image cant be found someone with the game and dlc might be able to get an appropriate screenshot.

Unless the video game has significantly better graphics than the other TT games I've played, it's going to be pretty obvious it was from a video game.

I don't see what's wrong with leaving the bow just inside the hole, like @Milsey did. Obviously, it's not as action-packed as the others, but it could work.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    Thank you all for your input. I knew I could rely on you Bricksetters :-)

I am the exact opposite of a technical whiz so I have no clue on all the resolution and editing stuff. I naively thought any picture would be ok :-)

The pose doesn't bother me at all or the fact that the bow is partially obscured. I really like what @milsey did. I think it looks like GA has shot straight through the cover and is admiring his handiwork :-)

I like the picture @Shib posted too as reference for the title logo and such that would finish the pic off to look professional.

BUT:
    Do people think it will be possible to come up with something workable or should I abandon hope? I don't want you guys to spend ages on something that's not ever going to work!
    Andor
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Whilst finding a minifigure renderer for FB I did find this image which might be better

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mnap73/8225267308/in/photostream/

Although obviously its not official and you should ask first.