Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Adverts on the main site

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,474
I have implemented Google AdSense adverts on the main site, in four places.

They are visibly ONLY if you are NOT logged in.

Yes, I hate ads too, but I was persuaded by Google to give them a go, so I will do so and see what happens both in terms of user reaction and revenue.

Comments

• Murdoch17Murdoch17 Member Posts: 22
    I have seen ads for "LIVE Chat with single Asian women"... Ads are what drives me bonkers on Eurobricks... but as long as they are only when singed out, that's ok I guess. But what about kids without accounts, what will the parents think!
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,474
    I can disable specific ads/categories. I'll keep an eye out for rogue ones.

Also, I think they are targeted :-)
    DougoutplasmodiumFollowsCloselyrocao
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    Huw, please stay with text-ads only. I know Google with push you for image ads, but they completely ruin the look and feel of a site, and they actually pay less than text-ads. I understand that ads only show when members are logged out, but would you want to scare away new people with a cheap look? Text-ads are not as in-your-face as image ads that could be really weird at times and look really bad as they are unrelated to the look and feel of the site. Text ads are lot less damaging to your image.

Although it is true that the ads are targeted, there are very-very few LEGO related advertisers and usually just around the holidays, so basically most of the ads that visitors will see will be based on their internet searches and activities elsewhere. I know because I have been running Adsense on my blog from the very beginning.

Having said that, at least on my blog, I make the most money with Adsense. I'm also a LEGO, Amazon and eBay affiliate, however Adsense consistently makes about as much as the rest of the affiliate programs combined (except November/December). It's pretty sad because I also don't like ads and always wanted to take Adsense off, but without it I would be loosing about half of the site's income. So I think Adsense could give you a nice revenue stream to compensate for the more expensive server.

Wishing you the best with this! :)
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited April 2014
    As much as google adsense 'claims' you can set categories and prevent unsuitable for work/family images, i know of at least one website that gets ticked off with the number of unsuitable ads that circumvent the rules and 'slip by' (their site is also meant to be safe for kids).
    The most common offenders seem to be browser-based game companies... aah, i've just checked the site, those people don't seem to use the 'square' slot, so might be safe.
    ^^ Good feedback and advice, thanks. I'll review what's being shown and perhaps disable graphic ads which I must confess I detest. But, needs must, as you suggest...
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,234
    @Huw do you want people to screenshot specific ads if they have a problem with them or just describe, I haven't been on the site while not logged in yet so don't know what I might see but it might be easier to screenshot then describe.
    Sure
    I have since had a little look and I only seemed to see 5, all of whichever were innocent enough.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,474
    I hope the new site layout hasn't resulted in a reduction in the amount of people buying stuff through the affiliate links?
    ^ No, not at all. Click-throughs are roughly the same as this time last year but eBay has changed the algorithm used for calculating commissions putting most emphasis on new and reactivated buyers which has resulted in a 50% drop in income.

Amazon is still healthy, but heavily dependent on them having decent sales, and shop.LEGO.com is doing well, especially now they've opened their affiliate channels in Germany and France.
    Huw, I was wondering how you were doing with eBay since the changes. For a lot of people it killed their business model. I guess this is just an important reminder not to depend on one stream of income. Glad to hear that you are doing well with the others.
    Is it worth looking at affiliate advertising with the likes of Tesco in the UK, and (if they do such a thing) Walmart or Target in the US?
    ^ I'm signed up to most of them but TBH it's not really worth the effort unless they offer decent discounts: that's the only time most of us buy from such places, right?

I do promote Smyths Toys, Argos and Play in the UK as you know but Argos is really the only one worth bothering with.

But, I guess it all adds up...
    Huw said:

^ I'm signed up to most of them but TBH it's not really worth the effort unless they offer decent discounts: that's the only time most of us buy from such places, right?

Very true, although that's generally the only time I order stuff from Amazon too. Having said that, Amazon tend to offer discounts more often than Tesco do.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,904
    I would use Target and Walmart links if you offered them and I am sure others would as well. I end up with a number of Walmart giftcards each year and usually spend them on the exclusive sets (even if their shipping methods are appalling).
    I just noticed this advert on the main site, if you can I'd advise avoiding ones that seem to imply people can download something straight from your site.
    Yep, I hate them too, particularly on software download sites...
    ^tell me about it, that's the main reason I flagged it, been caught by them before....I know it's fairly unlikely anyone would fall for that on brick set, but you never know what people might think they are downloading.
  • BobkovBobkov Member Posts: 30
    I don't mind adverts on the main site at all as long as they're related/tasteful. That said, this one keeps popping up. I'm not convinced it is in the realm of appropriate for the site, but I don't know how much control you have over it showing up:
    All sensitive categories are now blocked. I did have ringtones and downloadables enabled but have now blocked them.
    I actually wonder why anyone posting in the forum is seeing them, don't you all sign in to the main site and if not, why not?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited May 2014
    Doesn't stop this though! ;-)

PS I blame pitfall for my browsing history!

SirKevbagsLegoboyscrumperlegomattLostInTranslationBumblepantsandheStormKittyPitfall69
    ^^Using shared computers - will see adverts before logging in :-P
    ^^ How offensive. Sorry you had such a shock!
    Pitfall69
    I may of course have photoshopped it :-p
    drdavewatfordLostInTranslationLegoboyStormKitty
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    @Huw I generally do not sign into the main site unless I'm updating my collection. I may be missing something but apart from not seeing ads, I don't really see what I'm losing out on.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ Custom news categories and other site preferences (set on your profile page).
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,421
    Since there are 2 passwords with 2 screen names, one each for the main site and 1 for the forum and I am an adult and want to speak to adults only. I am always logged into the forum and almost never on the main site unless I am looking at my collection. But I generally just go to my basement if I want to see my collection.
    andhe
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Yes the two password thing is a bit annoying. So even though I may go to the main page, rarely would I log in there unless I was updating my 'owned/wanted collection'.
    andhe
  • Iancody2010Iancody2010 Member Posts: 2
    The ads are really annoying
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ Any reason you can't just log in? The adverts aren't shown to members.
    ShibPitfall69
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,387
    I'm quite enjoying the adverts this morning :)
    DadsAFOLJP3804
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,704
    Dude!!! I want that!!
    Well they say sex sells and judging by the two examples posted above I guess that's probably true...
    This is why I don't allow picture ads on my blog... or maybe I should and it will become more popular. :D
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,387
    Huw said:

Well they say sex sells and judging by the two examples posted above I guess that's probably true...

My screen shot was definitely not photoshopped.

I got a chuckle at the bottom of the page ^top. I said "No kidding?" Hahahaha.

• OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 623
    These type of ads show up on the boardgamegeek.com website as well. I guess the advertisers have a singular opinion of which "target demographic" enjoys playing board games and playing with LEGO...
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    New one today...
    bs.png 268.8K
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,790
    Should I be worried that I'm seeing adverts about funeral costs?
    legomattscrumper
    I thought we didn't get adverts if we're signed in - but I still see this one for bricks... ;-0

You'll have to live with that one :)
    ShibAndor
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 479
    adblocking that url helps for those that really can't stand the image :P
    http://brickset.com/assets/images/misc/blocksmag.jpg
    I've today noticed a Google Ad advert on the front page items that blocks the contents of the first comment. Happens on both chrome and ie.
    On a PC or mobile device?
    Pc, when I said front page I meant when you read a full news article etc. Obviously logging in makes it disappear.