Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

2014 Brickset Secret Santa

CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,262
Hello!

The first Brickset Secret Santa was held last year with great success, and as such it is happening again this year, so welcome to the 2014 Brickset Secret Santa thread!

Just in case anyone is not sure what a Secret Santa is, here is a quick definition for you courtesy of the OED:

A system whereby each participant is randomly assigned another participant for whom to buy a Christmas present at an agreed cost, so that each member buys one present and receives one present.

The rules of the Brickset Secret Santa are as follows:

- The guide price for the cost of a gift is £15 or $20 (USD and CAD).
- Wish lists are welcome, so please send that with your initial message if you would like to include one, or simply make your Brickset 'wanted list' public.
- MOCs are also welcome as long as the total part value roughly corresponds with the guide prices given above.
- Please either wrap the gift before packaging it or indicate on the box that the contents are not wrapped.
- Please ensure that your gift is sent in time for Christmas, final posting dates for each country are available online.

To be a part of it is very simple:

- Sign up to be included by sending a PM with your username and mailing address to the organiser in your country.
- Your Brickset ID will then be entered into a draw.
- On the 21st of November names will be drawn.
- Within a day or two of the draw, everyone who entered will be PMed with the name and address of the person they have been assigned to buy a gift for.
- Purchase a gift, adhering to the cost guidelines.
- Send the gift, keeping in mind that it should arrive in time for Christmas.
- If all goes according to plan, everybody will receive their gift before Christmas!

The closing date for signing up to the 2014 Brickset Secret Santa is midnight on the 20th of November.

For the sake of simplicity we have decided to divide the exchange into two, in the UK and North America. This should keep postage costs to a minimum as I am told even posting across the border between the US and Canada is fairly inexpensive.

If you are in another country and wish to take part, you are welcome to contact either one of the organisers given below, and we will try to add you to one of the two main participant lists.

So, if you would like to join in, simply send a message with your shipping address and wanted list (or a link to your wanted list on the main Brickset site) to the relevant contact in your area:

North America - @rancorbait‌
United Kingdom - @CapnRex101‌

You can check last year's thread to get some inspiration by looking over some of the gifts given in 2013 (pages 4-7). As you can see there is a lot of fun to be had, so hopefully we can exceed the worldwide total of 51 participants set last year!

If anyone has any problems, please contact us.
LostInTranslationsamiam391GothamConstructionComargotEKSamcarlqAndoriso3200brickedinMorkManpaul_merton

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500
    edited October 2014
    Oooh! Didn't do this last year and regretted it.
    Sooooo... PM sent!
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,507
    Could be interesting.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    ......."Groovy"

:oD
    Andor
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    PM on way!
  • blars82blars82 Member Posts: 19
    Such a fun idea, excited to join in!
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    Just updated my wanted list a bit in preparation... haha
    Andor
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 725
    After following all the fun last year I would love to be a part this time around.

PM sent @CapnRex101‌
    carlq
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,544

If anyone has any problems, please contact us.

My TV Remote is unresponsive. :o)
    TelcontarHangedSanchezcarlqGurooojackybrick
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,262
    ^ Have you tried replacing the batteries? Thank you for calling :o)
    GothamConstructionCocarlqjackybrick
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,356
    I haven't been around very much, but sure, I'll join in. I've sent you a PM regarding Secret Santa @CapnRex101 - for some reason I haven't been able to get a reply from you for nearly a month so I'd appreciate it if you could reply :-)
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    After last year's surfeit of happiness, I'm definitely in again - but fair warning, whoever gets me will have to go some to beat @CapnRex101‌'s magnificent creation! ;-)
    LegoKipGothamConstructionCo

^ Have you tried replacing the batteries? Thank you for calling :o)

...I've also bought it flowers and tried my best one-liners. I'm starting to suspect it's seeing someone else. :oP

AndorcarlqGothamConstructionCo
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 725
    ^ Maybe your DVD remote, they have been spending a lot of time together on the coffee table lately :-?
    Andorrancorbaitcarlq
    edited November 2014

...on the coffee table lately

Ah-ha! This proves it! ...for I only drink Tea.
    :oP
    AndorrancorbaitcarlqGothamConstructionCo
    edited November 2014
    legomatt said:

...on the coffee table lately

...for I only drink Tea.
    :oP
    @Legomatt - Then what are you griping about your remote for?... Take care of the real problem first!

;oP

;oP

:o)
    legomattjadedanc
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    ^^^ As a coffee lover I second @rancorbait‌ -- the remote is the least of your concerns.
    rancorbait
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    edited November 2014
    One question.....is it a $20 total value of the set or the total cost to you of $20 ? Because I can get a lot of LEGO for $20 if you shop right.
    margotbobabricks
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,248
    @Thanos75‌ - Knowing what types of LEGO deals you get down south I hope you are my secret Santa ;o)
    AndormargotbobabricksMorkMan
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I'm sure whomever I get will be happy.
    MorkManmargot
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 429
    Missed all the fun last time, pm sent.
    edited November 2014
    A few FAQ from from last year:

Is the guide price the total cost to you or the value of the set(s)? There are plenty of bargain hunters here who could stretch £15/$20 a long way!

The guide price is the total cost to you (excluding postage). If you can grab a $100 set for $20, that would be great! Everyone has an equal chance of getting such a good deal so that is fair game.

Can we open our gifts before Christmas?

This is up to you. Gifts can be opened any time, although we appreciate seeing photos of what you received on this thread whenever you open it!

Do we reveal who Santa was at the end?

This is also up to you. If you want to reveal who you purchased for, you are welcome to.

Where can I post my wanted list?

You can either include that in a PM to one of the organisers or simply make your wanted list public on the main Brickset website (like this).

What if my recipient has not provided a wanted list?

This usually means they want a surprise, so perhaps it would be best to try to find something as wacky as possible!

What if I cannot get anything on my recipient's wanted list?

In this case it is also a good idea to try to buy something unusual, or even build a MOC for them if you have the time!
    Andorcarlq
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    Can we send the receiver the product through BrickLink or Lego.com etc.?
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 377
    Also missed the fun last year, in for this one.
    @bobabricks - I see no reason why not. I believe there were a few instances of that last year.
    bobabricksmargot
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    I've just been hearing a lot of hate towards "drop shipping" but that might be just selling.
    ^ If you choose to do that it would be worth contacting me so I can inform the recipient to expect a package from Bricklink or [email protected]
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 197
    id love to be part of it, im in Ireland but postage isnt huge to UK, i just would love to open a surprise
    I'll join in, I don't really have a wanted list, something rare and different would be cool though.

Maybe something Christmas or Super Hero themed.

Has anyone ever unknowingly purchased something from a Bricklink store as a Secret Santa gift for the store owner, without realising until they read the store owners address?
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    edited November 2014

^ If you choose to do that it would be worth contacting me so I can inform the recipient to expect a package from Bricklink or [email protected]

Yes, a good idea. If I recall correctly, at first I thought I didn't get my Secret Santa gift last year because it came straight from Lego... and most of us get lots of boxes labeled from LBRI!
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936

Has anyone ever unknowingly purchased something from a Bricklink store as a Secret Santa gift for the store owner, without realising until they read the store owners address?

Ha. That would be awkward. Especially as I know zero about Bricklink, I don't really know who is who, so I can see that happening. XD

Though, that said, I'm not sure that many members here have stores.
    Andor

Though, that said, I'm not sure that many members here have stores.

I think more than you may think have stores.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    Last year was really fun. The unboxing/unwrapping was awesome as I knew most of the gifts I was getting from my own family. I actually had more fun making my Christmas MOC last year for my Recipient. I hope I get a different person this year... @rancorbait‌ can we make sure everyone gets different people?
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,031
    How many people are playing this year so far?
    22 in the UK so far. I am not sure about North America.
    LostInTranslationcarlqAndortheLEGOmanrancorbaitGothamConstructionCobrickedin
    MorkMan said:

Last year was really fun. The unboxing/unwrapping was awesome as I knew most of the gifts I was getting from my own family. I actually had more fun making my Christmas MOC last year for my Recipient. I hope I get a different person this year... @rancorbait‌ can we make sure everyone gets different people?

I doubt you'll get the same person, but if you tell me who you got last year I can make sure you don't.
    iso3200 said:

How many people are playing this year so far?

17 for North America :o)
    Andormargot
  • slovakiastephslovakiasteph USAMember Posts: 62
    Yay, I did this last year, so will join again! SS are the best part of the holidays, especially since I typically only have to buy two gifts for family (name exchange) and a few for friends.
  • ndisgizendisgize Member Posts: 18
    Maybe I missed this, but, is shipping direct via Amazon ok? Free shipping with prime and all.
    margot
    @ndisgize‌ - I see no reason why not. It would be appreciated if you could notify us though so we can advise the recipient to be on the look out for an Amazon parcel.
    Andor
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    edited November 2014

@ndisgize‌ - I see no reason why not. It would be appreciated if you could notify us though so we can advise the recipient to be on the look out for an Amazon parcel.

You never know what the postman will do with it...here in Exeter, they knock on the back door (instead of using the doorbell, and the door is 3 stories below and no-one ever uses it...) and then give you a matter of seconds to get downstairs.
    Than they will either take it away with them or just leave it outside the door. They very rarely take it to the neighbours for you to pick up, which'd be the sensible thing...

So I can say I would like to know the approx date of my parcel...it may spoil the surprise a bit, but at it'd still be a better surprise than finding it under the soggy doormat a week later. :P

[Edit] - D'oh, but of course, I'll be back in Reading by then. Never mind...;-)
  • ndisgizendisgize Member Posts: 18
    We could always provide a tracking number? Or would that be logistcally difficult....we would have to email them the number and that might defeat the 'secret' part of it
    cheshirecat
    ndisgize said:

We could always provide a tracking number? Or would that be logistcally difficult....we would have to email them the number and that might defeat the 'secret' part of it

I'd have thought you could pass it on to the appropriate list holder and they could forward it for you.
    rancorbait
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,611
    The best plan is to ship straight from Lego and forget to tell anyone you did that so it gets forgotten on a shelf. (sorry again @margot)
    carlqmargotrancorbait
    ^Lol. At least 50% of that was my fault for being chronically disorganized.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    edited November 2014
    Ready for this to start!!! :)
    AndorrancorbaitbrickedincarlqBumblepants
  • brickmattbrickmatt USAMember Posts: 88
    Just a thought - perhaps the santas could indicate whether the contents of the package are wrapped, in case the recipient wants to wait until Christmas to open the box.
    margot
    Let's start the wrapping discussion again. Last year was hilarious. All bow down to @littletoki‌
    There are just a few hours to go now before sign-up closes so if you are still considering it, hurry up and contact either @rancorbait or I!
    TheBrickLaddrancorbaitAndor
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,356
    ^^ Good idea. Maybe I'll get my mum to wrap the parcel this time so she can't complain to me that the outer wrapping is "slightly crinkly".

:-P
    Andorcarlq
    From last year...lol
    samiam391 said:

After...

...Stuffing a few minifigures (some of which were not on my person's wish list) into a ziploc bag...

...Cramming the ziploc bag full of minifigures and accessories into a plain bubble mailer...

...Marking my full name and address on the sent from label...

...Posting it several weeks ago without a thought of them saving it for Christmas...

...and reading all the artful, crafty, and painstaking ways some people are going to wrap and secretively send their packages....

...I have decided that I am the Grinch.

CapnRex101BumblepantscarlqLostInTranslationsnowhitie
    So we are now closed in the UK with a grand total of 26 participants!

I will make the draw tomorrow morning and assignments will be going out after that. If you have not received instructions by Sunday, contact me by way of a reminder :o)
    theLEGOmanShibcarlqGothamConstructionCobrickedinLostInTranslationTheBrickLaddSilentMode