Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collecting clones or droids?

TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
Are you collecting LSW clones or droids? If yes, how much you think you have them? Do you buy them from ebay?

Comments

• RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,974
    Personally I don't collect either as the figures are never unique enough to be worth holding a large collection of. Plus as I have done more Mocs less is often a lot more.

But if you are going to buy one or the other I'd go with Droids. It is more realistic that there are loads of them. They are easier to store away and they are really, really cheap on Bricklink.
    bobabricks
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    Never understood clone collecting other than perhaps to have an army...that is kind of what I have done with orcs...though they really are kind of incidental since they are in almost every LOTR or Hobbit set.
    Andorbobabricks
  • ClumsybumsyClumsybumsy Member Posts: 16
    I collect neither, I seriously don't understand why people would want hundreds of the same minifigure when they can't even use all of them in a MOC.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,826
    Stormtroopers, yes. But only sw366. (x50 ish). You can use that number fairly easily in a MOC and still keep it to roughly a pair of 32x32 bases.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2014
    My brother used to collect clones a couple of years back, trying to get as many of the variants as possible while building up a small army to play with (on pocket money/while living in Africa where there is no Lego so he didn't have that many - 25 or so in the end?), and I would help, buying him battle packs for Christmas (3 years straight, I think :P) and so on. But in the end, he kinda gave up for a number of reasons.

1) He was just a kid who liked cool clones, not a dedicated adult collector, and a lot of them aren't in battle-packs but in other more expensive sets

2) If you have tons of variations of clones, they're not really any use, because they don't really go together to make an army (if you have a top-heavy army with too many officers, you end up in a situation like Spain in the 1930's...:P)

3) The darn stud-shooters. There's no way he was going to let those mix with his old 'megaphone' blaster ("heavy weapons" for him) and more recent laser rifle- equipped clones. I'm with him on that one

4) They switched to "EPIII" style helmets, and then to "EPII", instead of the Clone Wars helmets most of them had, and they look weird mixed together

Which is altogether a shame, because they recently launched a couple of really decent battle packs that he might have bought (for the Battlefront II nostalgia factor :P) but didn't.

I thought it was pretty cool, all the variations-on-a-theme that they made (which is what collecting is about, right?), but in the end, there were just too many 'variations', and they were too well distributed over more expensive sets.

So yeah, all that to say, I understand A) collecting a small army for MOCing/playing with or B) collecting different clone variants, but not just collecting a massive huge army of identical ones. (And I just don't understand collecting droids full stop. :P)
    RedbullgivesuwindAndor
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    I bought several of the Clone Walker Battle Pack from '09. Just thought it would be cool to have the Clone army behind the Jedi on my display shelf. As far as my droid army, I didn't buy any of the droid battle packs, but after getting the '07 MTT that came with a few droids, plus all of the others, my droid army is okay too.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    I don't really have too many of each, maybe 10-20, but I want more and wish I had more of both. I think I like the clones better, but I also agree that too many variations is bad because it's harder to build a big, realistic scene.
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    Clone and Droids? Orcs, Goblins, and elves are much better.
    TheBigLegoskidannyrww
  • peterabpeterab Member Posts: 3
    I collect droids, mostly as an adjunct to collecting other minifigs I like. I like the variation, and if I get extras at reasonable prices I use them to make custom combinations. Since I'm mostly a train builder I don't really plan on ever using them in a build.
  • PatrioticKevinPatrioticKevin Member Posts: 10
    I collect one of each, I never saw the point in collecting an army.
    Drmnez
  • TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    I collect regular clones. Just the normal ones.
  • CliqChrisCliqChris Ellsworth, MaineMember Posts: 14
    This guy is a serious clone trooper collector!
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    ^Very cool. I have just about 50 clones and 70 droids, but I´ve never bought them just for army building. 99% of them have came in the sets that I´ve bought. Your Republic Gunship collection is also really impressive!
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    Andor said:

Clone and Droids? Orcs, Goblins, and elves are much better.

and dwarves....really looking forward to an epic battle of the five armies display. Got plenty of orcs, elves, dwarves, and wargs (I go by the books) ...oddly the army of man is lacking....could probably use more eagles too
    Andor
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,441
    I don't specifically collect clones but I'm glad of the variations of the troopers for a project I've got in the pipelines to work on in the next couple of years.
    I can imagine for anyone wanting to build an army of Storm Troopers for movies scenes etc it's very annoying though.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^A war with the blues vs the reds vs the whites?
  • JezzatheshedJezzatheshed Member Posts: 159
    I went with clones, I collect on the one of each basis. Recently TLG has come up trumps for me with the phase 1 officers and they look great displayed behind glass. I used to collect Hasbro figures but they just took up too much space. The only draw back with the Lego figures is some of the variants have differences which are hard to tell apart.
    What I would really like instead of clone/storm battle packs are more Tattooine citizens for my cantina and Wuher would be nice.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I'm a Clone lover, with 1 of every variant. Plus multiples of my favorite, the original printed legs Stormtrooper. As well as 1 of almost every droid, but that's only by circumstance.