Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What brought you out of your 'dark period'?

2»

Comments

• Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    When you have a family, it's pretty advantageous to get into the Lego hobby; it helps keep the family together. But when you have only a gf, she may think you're some kind of otaku unless she likes them too.
  • StormsworderStormsworder Member Posts: 107
    My "golden age" of Lego was from the beginning of the 1980s up until 1989 (although I did get a Blacktron 2 set in 1991). I sold most of my sets around 1992. I think what got me back into Lego was the re-issue of 1980s Zoids in 1999. I'd collected Zoids back in the late 1980s and there had been certain ones I'd never been able to find. True, some Zoids were re-issued in the mid-1990s in Britain (albeit nasty chrome-painted) but this time Tomy really were pulling out all the stops to re-issue all the old Zoids, and building the new ones kind of set off a spark which led to me wanting to replace the Lego sets I no longer had.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    edited December 2011
    Like a few others, I almost came out of my dark period in 1999 when the first SW line came out. I purchased the Y-Wing & TIE combination (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=7150-1) and some smaller SW sets (7110, 7128, 7101). Then The Phantom Menace actually came out in theatres, and that was the end of it.
    I almost came back when the Vikings series was at TRU, but with a new baby and still in school I couldn't afford it (too bad).
    That baby grew to five years old. He wound up his fascination with Thomas and turned to LEGO. I quickly found that all I needed was an excuse to bring out the childhood sets and play with him. My wife thinks they are interesting and educational.
    What she likes most of all, I think, is the hunt for great deals on them, though. She is what is now called an "extreme couponer," so between the AFOL online community and her sites we have purchased many sets on the cheap.
    As someone said above, a happy wife = a happy life...but a happy wife and tons of bricks makes everyone pretty satisfied.
    I do wish I hadn't missed the GG or Taj Mahal, however...