Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Star Wars 2015 pictures are HERE!

2»

Comments

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2014
    So pics of Anakin's Custom Starfighter #75087 finally hit Brickset's database. But I'm wondering what line or subtheme this set would belong to? Since Asajj Ventress is a Clone Wars only character, but here both her and Anakin have the regular eyes. Which doesn't quite make sense even though it's listed in the CW subtheme for now. Unless CW sets get to continue with a style change. And i can't imagine this being for Rebel's since Anakin is already Vader in that time period.

Same goes for the Senate Commando Troop battlepack. It doesn't have Rebel's labeling either. However, I haven't seen them with helmets off so don't know what the head print looks like. But guessing it's the newer clone face without the typical CW eyes.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,310
    @BrickDancer‌ - I imagine the eyes are normal as #75087 is based on the 2005 Clone Wars cartoon rather than the more modern series, so LEGO may have wished to differentiate between the two.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Good eye Capn!! You really are a SW expert. And I never even considered the CW Movie might be considered separately from the CW Series. This will be the first set to fall in that divide if I'm correct. But still not sure how I feel about the eyes being changed to 'normal' compared to 'cartoon' ones, I would sorta prefer they stayed with the crazy eyes instead for consistency sake.

And they should have named the set differently, "Anakin's Azure Angel Starfighter" sounds much better:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Azure_Angel
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited October 2014
    ^ I like it. Anakin would be able to say such phrases as:

'Hey! Bite my blue AAS'

:o)

(He must be cold).
  • ShatteredGnomeShatteredGnome Docking Bay 94, Mos Eisley, TatooineMember Posts: 32
    I'm actually glad that they didn't do a The Clone Wars-styling of the minifigures in 75087. It's nice to get an Asajj Ventress figure that goes well with the normal ones. And it might have just looked wrong to make the set look like The Clone Wars ones, as it's a different source material (with the Clone Wars series from back then being traditional animation). This is a very interesting set.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839

I'm actually glad that they didn't do a The Clone Wars-styling of the minifigures in 75087. It's nice to get an Asajj Ventress figure that goes well with the normal ones. And it might have just looked wrong to make the set look like The Clone Wars ones, as it's a different source material (with the Clone Wars series from back then being traditional animation). This is a very interesting set.

i second this emotion....i'm estatic to get an Ventress with Lego eyes! Also...note that the Rebels sets also stick to 'Lego eyes,' as well. I'm happy with that fact. I hope it sticks, and no more crazy print eyes from here on out.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,435
    I don't if my attitude is considered somewhat extreme, but those hideous Clone-Wars styled face prints with the Japanese Manga-like eyes have always thus far been enough to make me dismiss the entire theme and all sets with those minifigs who feature that look. Okay, I admit until recently I have never been a big SW collector. Actually for the first two years as an AFOL I forbade myself to buy any SW Lego period, as I know I have been too susceptible to catching the completest syndrome in the past, having to buy all sets of a theme. Though sometimes you see a set which despite the MInifigs just looks so incredibly well designed, that it is just too ridiculous to pass it up based on a face print of a minifig. Then again I in the past have also bought sets only because it contained one particular minifig which I felt compelled to have, while the set wasn't all that. Who knows maybe it is time that TLG redesigns all those C-W sets and release them all again ;-) Given how fond some SW Lego fans are ( @zipsforbananas ) of TLG updating previously designed models.

Ooh and btw.
    I hope that TLG will re-evaluate their design decision, and change the nose grill/vent print of the Stormtrooper helmet too, because those helmets would look so much better without this droopy moustachio print which does not even follow the curvature of the mould. TLG do not use minidolls instead of minifigs either just because Disney's SW Rebels cartoon style of the characters in term of spindly body type matches the design of a minidoll closer then that of a blocky square minifig which just look cartoony and perfectly fine as they are, and the same goes for the Lego face print and helmet designs. I prefer the stormtroopers I got included in #75055-1 over the one that came with #75053-1

#75087-1 does not seems like a bad set to me. The minifigs seem good, however the ship does not look as sleek as the Azure Angel when you check this picture:
    starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Azure_Angel
    The A-wing #75003-1 for example is a beautiful sleek design with much less studs on top. I think they could have designed it a little better.
    Andorzipsforbananas
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250

Who knows maybe it is time that TLG redesigns all those C-W sets and release them all again ;-) Given how fond some SW Lego fans are ( @zipsforbananas ) of TLG updating previously designed models.

He he! Is that how I'm coming across? :P
    To be honest, if we had decent versions of all the OT ships I'd be happy, and every now and then I do pass on a new version where I don't think it's any better (the last Y-Wing, I'm conflicted on the latest AT-AT...). I guess I'd like one or two sets per wave to keep my habit warm, but I'd hate an entire wave of OT sets that would cost too much!
    When we've got a good TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber, Cloud Car and Cloud City, maybe a Lars Homestead and Dagobah, I think I'll be happy! I'm dreaming aren't I? :D

TLG has to aim for its target audience who will surely refresh every few years so reissues are part of how it all works. And if we're getting new versions, why not hope they'll be better than the last?
    TheBigLegoskiAndor