Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Brickset Builders Guild - share your MOCs here!

Comments

• plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    Is this for the MOColympics, @‌vitreolum?
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Nope, I was eliminated in the previous round.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    vitreolum said:

I thought about adding some color to enhance the details a bit, but usually dwarven statues are all gray so I decided to keep it that way. Maybe I'll add some mild olive/sand green touches to it.

Oh! I didn’t recognize it as a dwarven statue. Sorry. I thought it was a Viking or perhaps an Assyrian soldier.
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    I saw the dwarfiness straight away and I'm not much of a Tolkein fan. Odd!
    I vote with-cape, it adds to the presence. And I love the simple but effective use of the cheese slope to fill out the bend in the elbows. It's the little things. :)
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 723
    @vitreolum - I LOVE it. Not a hero elf in sight. Very sweet Hobbit vignette. I see you have put your tan robot arms to good use again. Your vegetation has a very organic feeling and the colors harmonious, the water has a roiling feel. How on earth were you eliminated from MOC Olympics?
    Thanks! Had the luck of going against a great builder specialized in 2D styled builds on a 2D cartoon category. :) Wouldn't have lasted long in there even if I passed that round.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    edited October 2014
    Shib said:

Been playing around with with a bit of microscale. Trying to use the typically single use pieces for some different purposes.

Been doing that a bit myself :o)

GARC Stealth Fighter
    vitreolumShibbrickedinaimlesspursuitsGothamConstructionCoChrisbstm
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,330
    ^nice, i just finished Peter Reid & Tim Goddard's Lego Space book last night and I've been looking at some of the random sets I've got set up that are due to be broken down as possible spaceship parts as a result.
    Is that bit right at the front a death star gunner helmet?
  • ArtfulDodgerArtfulDodger Member Posts: 106
    How do you guys photograph your MOCs? I'm thinking of starting to capture some of my MOCs, but I'm not sure what the best way to do so is. My previous attempt was....less than ideal.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

How do you guys photograph your MOCs?

Our kitchen table is white, set against a white wall. I have an SLR with an external flash mounted on the camera. I point the flash up and slightly behind me. This essentially turns the (white) ceiling into a giant light source, which then bounces off the table to create some fill light from underneath. Pointing the flash slightly away from the subject prevents direct specular highlights from the flash itself. If I'm shooting a larger MOC, and need more depth of field thus a smaller aperture, I usually use a tripod. I have an older camera (Nikon D80) and try to keep the ISO as low as possible to avoid noise (this is really frustrating because I use the Nikon D700 and Nikon D4S at work). In processing the photo, I correct white balance and generally clean up and brighten the background.

Here are some examples:
    Witch
    Micro BFF
    Classic Space Contest
    Mixels Contest

This isn't ideal (e.g. you can see my yellow kitchen walls reflected in some dark pieces), but it takes almost no time to set up, doesn't require a dedicated space, and yields relatively good results. If I had the money and space, I'd have a table set up with a seamless backdrop, a couple of monolight-type flash units with softboxes, and black cloth to surround the shooting area.
  • jackybrickjackybrick Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2014
    @ArtfulDodger
    This article helped me a lot:
    http://brickset.com/article/6180/how-i-take-the-photos-for-reviews
    Only, except the lighting units I use 2 normal table/reading-lamps.
    And of course it is good to use some program for post processing, cutting the edges of the image and so on. :-)
    ^Tom Bombadil?
    Yep. :D
    It was the yellow shoes. The ommission of Tom Bombadil and Radagast from PJs LOTR was a bit of a shame...shoehorning Radagast into The Hobbit didn't fix it.
    edited October 2014
    Shib said:

Is that bit right at the front a death star gunner helmet?

@Shib - Yup :o)

Great build, @vitreolum!
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    Awesome build! @vitreolum‌ Your builds never disappoint.
    That smaug's pure brilliance. The frog eyes work perfectly as nostrils.
    rancorbait
    vitreolum said:

That smaug's pure brilliance. The frog eyes work perfectly as nostrils.

Thanks!

And thanks for clearing up that background :o)
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,287
    Is anyone else thinking a MOC-off between these two ^ ^^ would be a great idea? :o)
    AndorrancorbaitkwkwGothamConstructionCoTechnicNick
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    ^Great idea, @CapnRex101‌
    One more non-sci-fi build:

Untitled
    JenniChrisbstmvitreolumbobabricksGalactus
  • ArtfulDodgerArtfulDodger Member Posts: 106

@ArtfulDodger
    This article helped me a lot:
    http://brickset.com/article/6180/how-i-take-the-photos-for-reviews
    Only, except the lighting units I use 2 normal table/reading-lamps.
    And of course it is good to use some program for post processing, cutting the edges of the image and so on. :-)

Hm, I think I'll post my attempts in the "What are you working on now?" thread so as not to sully this thread with my amateurish attempts.
    @‌ArtfulDodger
    Why not here? :-) Any good MOC is welcome here IMHO. I am still trying to get better an better too. And if you want look at the quality of some photos that I posted before, look for example here. :-)

BTW: I’ve also got a question, guys. When I tried to post here an image as a link from my Flickr account (instead of uploading it here) it showed me an error img, you know, like if it cannot be found or something. Any ideas how to fix it? Thanks. :-)
    zipsforbananas
    @rancorbait -Very cool little Smaug. I think you need to make all the LoTR scenes in mini and publish LDD instructions so that mini-Orthanc has worthy companions. :-)
    edited October 2014
    @jackybrick I'm posting from flickr as well, I just copy paste the link generated by the arrow on the lower right on the image.

@CapnRex101 As long as it's not a classic space moc-off :))
    rancorbaitGothamConstructionCoAdeelZubair
    vitreolum said:

@jackybrick I'm posting from flickr as well, I just copy paste the link generated by the arrow on the lower right on the image.

And make sure you're copying the HTML code, not the BBCode.
    vitreolum said:

@CapnRex101 As long as it's not a classic space moc-off :))

LOL.
    @vitreolum‌
    @rancorbait‌
    I hope it will be fine next time.
    The bat on the base is awesome!
    GothamConstructionCoAndorAdeelZubair
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    vitreolum said:

Any suggestions on what I should change are more than welcome...

As you asked... wait... nope!
    I suppose you could always replace the 4 long slopes on the ears with 3s and 2s if you want him to be a bit less evil!

So much to love! The hinge nose, all the different directions of studs in the tiny head, whatever the eyes are made from that I can't even work out! And that's just the head! :D
  • kyrotekkyrotek Southampton, UKMember Posts: 212
    edited October 2014
    The eyes are rubber bands aren't they?

Ears are too long for a blue Batman, might be better suited to a black edition and that would require a longer "pooled" cape...

Doesn't seem to be enough abs for the torso size? Not in number just in ratio of size to the rest of the frame.
    Yes, the eyes are rubber bands. Can't do anything about the ears with the parts I have, 1x3 doesn't work as they are too thick.

As for the abs, the thing there is the sign is basically 1 brick lower (and bigger) than it should be, but I like how that came out.
  • kyrotekkyrotek Southampton, UKMember Posts: 212
    Hopefully someone can photoshop into Black and very dark grey... ;-)
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    kyrotek said:

Hopefully someone can photoshop into Black and very dark grey... ;-)

vitreolumTechnicNickChrisbstmTelcontarkyrotek
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 741
    edited October 2014
    Congrats on your MOCs being posted on Brick Nerd @vitreolum‌ :o)
    rancorbaitAdeelZubair
    "Boar" Medium Hardsuit
    ChrisbstmAdeelZubairRedbullgivesuwindvitreolumTechnicNickGothamConstructionCoricecakebobabricks
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^ Like the way the arms are build but that background makes it hard to tell what is mech and what isn't.

Congrats on your MOCs being posted on Brick Nerd @vitreolum‌ :o)

Thanks! :D
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,656
    Studley – The Official Mascot of BRICK 2014
    Studley – The Official Mascot of BRICK 2014
    GothamConstructionCojackybrickTarDomoSarahIsabellabobabricks
    ^Separators!
  • markarm919markarm919 USAMember Posts: 60
    @Telcontar‌ That is amazing! Well done!