Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Idea for a Database.

BlastBlast Member Posts: 10
Hello.

I had an idea for a Database that would be quite useful one that lists all houses/buildings Lego has made.

Though I can understand why this hasn't been done it isn't theme specific and it's a rather lengthy list to make but it would be really useful for someone like me who would like to own more Lego houses.

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,470
    You can use the BrickLists feature http://brickset.com/bricklists to create such a list and publish it for others to view.
    bobabricks
  • BlastBlast Member Posts: 10
    Awesome! I will do that when I can

In the meantime could I get a few suggestions?
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,938
    What kinda houses? Because there'll be tons in the old Town theme, but they'll often be in bright primary colours and not as big/realistic/three-dimensional as more modern creator ones.
    I was actually thinking of anything that is compatible with a Minifigure so even the old town stuff would be great for this list.

I'd actually love to get some of the old town sets.
    @Huw, is there a way of doing collaborative Bricklists? It has just struck me that that would really help people to make community resources like this.

@Blast for the time being, the best thing you can probably do is look through old Town sets, modern City sets, Creator and maybe a few from Castle (for that old European town feel) or Harry Potter.
    No but there probably should be...
    "Collaboration" is the buzzword at the moment for web-based services. You wouldn't want to feel that upstarts like Google were outdoing you, would you? ;-)
    Yeah a collaborative list would be great! I'll take a look at a few Creator sets I wanted a while back catalog them in a document for the time being until I find out if the list can be done as a collaboration otherwise I can just have this thread up for other members to post ideas.
    This may be a bit long winded, but I think if you make the bulk of the sets into a Bricklist, you can then export it as a .csv file, then upload that csv to Google Drive, convert it to the Google Sheets format and add collaborators that way. Then people could just add remaining sets in the same format...
    But then it would need importing back into Brickset.

It should be fairly easy to add an option when you create a list to invite others to collaborate on it. Let me add it to my list...
    plasmodium
    Huw said:

But then it would need importing back into Brickset.

I realise that. I was only intending the bricklist to be a quick way to build up the initial bulk of the sets, and then just have the spreadsheet open for occasional new/recently discovered sets. Besides, it wasn't intended to be ideal! ;-)
  • GondorianDotComGondorianDotCom Member Posts: 30
    You can start with this: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Houses
    I can't seem to be able to sign in on the Brickset website.
    edited November 2014
    If your account there is 'blast' it looks to be OK. Try resetting your password.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    @Blast. Yes. With tags I was hoping to add a tag called "building" to capture sets across themes. Many themes have nice buildings buried in tons of mechs and vechicles [wheels, wings and treads.]

Here is a Bricklist of "Creator Buildings"
    http://brickset.com/bricklists?query=creator buildings