Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Is there usually some kind of online Black Friday thing?

NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
edited October 2014 in Shopping USA/Canada
So I want to buy some sets prior to Christmas, but other than that I am in no hurry. Let's talk strategery!

Should I buy them now at Lego Online shop and get double VIP points, or will there likely be something amazing that I should wait for Black Friday online?

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,655
    Word is that [email protected] will be doing 2x VIP + the 2nd Christmas set free. Probably be a few sets 10-20%, last year it was mostly Chima Speedorz and non-set stuff like notebooks and playmats. Probably additional perks in-store. Target usually has 1 or 2 large size sets on considerable sale. I think last year was a $75 Black Pearl. Wal-Mart has had a cheap Creator bucket the last couple years. Amazon price matches what everyone else does at some point in the week. Those are the typical highlights as best as I can remember.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    And the calendar, dont forget the calendar!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,655
    I forgot the calendar. In five minutes I will have forgotten the calendar again.
    ShibSarahIsabellacheshirecatBuriedinBricksred5Jpdarby
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    Ah, the calendar. Well, that settles it then. :)
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    Last year there were 3x VIP points the weekend(?) before Black Friday for online purchases. We can't count on it being offered again... hey, a calendar, wow, like on paper? I'm old and haven't had a paper calendar in this century -- that's what phones are for.
  • BazookaJoeX9BazookaJoeX9 Member Posts: 98
    I believe last year there was a Manager's Specials at Wal-Mart on Friday morning . I know in my area there was 30% off Lego in-store. No idea if that specific to where I live and if they'll do it this year.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 861
    Here's what I have learned over the past few years -- particularly if you are just buying for personal consumption:

LEGO Store/Shop at Home:
    - They regularly do double VIP points in October, and that is going on now. They also usually do one of two holiday set giveaways during October, so October is always a good time to order a big set that you have had your eyes on.
    - They often offer a second holiday giveaway set around Black Friday, and they are doing that again this year. They also sometimes offer double or triple VIP points, so it is sometimes worth waiting for that and again getting a big set then. But no guarantees and there are rumors there will be no triple VIP this year.
    - One other thing to keep in mind -- LEGO continues to offer some pretty cool freebies during the early part of the year, so there may be some additional purchases you may want to make to get those freebies. And double VIP usually rolls around again in March. So plan accordingly.

Amazon
    - Amazon makes a point of matching other sales at Walmart, Target, etc throughout the year. In the runup to Christmas, there are a lot of often great sales on new or relatively new sets at 30% off or even more. Never on the exclusives, but often on other stuff - even licensed sets in recent years. So I would make sure you wait for a good sale on any Star Wars / Superheroes / City / whatever sets you are interested in.
    - Amazon will occasionally offer up LEGO on lightning deals. So keep your eyes peeled.
    ThirdBuckEyebinaryeye
  • ThirdBuckEyeThirdBuckEye Member Posts: 44

Here's what I have learned over the past few years -- particularly if you are just buying for personal consumption:

LEGO Store/Shop at Home:
    - They regularly do double VIP points in October, and that is going on now. They also usually do one of two holiday set giveaways during October, so October is always a good time to order a big set that you have had your eyes on.
    - They often offer a second holiday giveaway set around Black Friday, and they are doing that again this year. They also sometimes offer double or triple VIP points, so it is sometimes worth waiting for that and again getting a big set then. But no guarantees and there are rumors there will be no triple VIP this year.
    - One other thing to keep in mind -- LEGO continues to offer some pretty cool freebies during the early part of the year, so there may be some additional purchases you may want to make to get those freebies. And double VIP usually rolls around again in March. So plan accordingly.

Amazon
    - Amazon makes a point of matching other sales at Walmart, Target, etc throughout the year. In the runup to Christmas, there are a lot of often great sales on new or relatively new sets at 30% off or even more. Never on the exclusives, but often on other stuff - even licensed sets in recent years. So I would make sure you wait for a good sale on any Star Wars / Superheroes / City / whatever sets you are interested in.
    - Amazon will occasionally offer up LEGO on lightning deals. So keep your eyes peeled.

Sounds about right to me. Also after the New Year look for returns∆damaged boxes at Walmart Target and other retailers I was able to obtain a few nice sets last year.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 613
    One other thing that is different this year is that virtually all Lego at Amazon is limit 2 per week. So the price matching deals are likely to be more widely available vs. getting snapped up in minutes by resellers.
  • squarebear47squarebear47 Ohio - USAMember Posts: 29
    DadsAFOL said:

One other thing that is different this year is that virtually all Lego at Amazon is limit 2 per week. So the price matching deals are likely to be more widely available vs. getting snapped up in minutes by resellers.

Where did you hear that? That is amazing, allowing greater access for more people instead of a select few who acquire 10-20 for themselves/resale.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,271

DadsAFOL said:

Where did you hear that? That is amazing, allowing greater access for more people instead of a select few who acquire 10-20 for themselves/resale.
    Amazon has been doing this with certain sets at least a year if I am not mistaken, at least in the US.
    Also if you try to circumvent the limit your account could be removed from Amazon and they will not let you back on, based on what someones experience here was when they tried.
    It also shows you that if LEGO really wanted to they could make 'hard' limits.
    Can Resellers find ways around this? Sure, and they likely do, but over all I think it still makes it easier for someone to get one vs someone trying to corner the market/purchases at the site