Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Help with Holiday Train 10173

2»

Comments

• SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 549
    @ktsam and @waxwing Something else to note, as a 9v train the Holiday Train instructions do not include any sort of directions for adapting it to include Power Functions. I ended up building a powered tender car to include the motor, battery box & IR receiver. The inclusion of battery box requires it to be a bit bigger that the original tender, so I kept the original tender as well for when I don't have the train running.
    waxwingwagnerml2
  • waxwingwaxwing Member Posts: 4
    Yeh the windows are tough, I'll check out those links, and can always make this 100% accurate later. I'm thinking I can make the chassis out of 2 wide plates, technic and regular. I also changed many of the green bricks to red, and had to supplement 3297's with narrower versions. And no apples! But who cares? It will look great under the tree.

I cannot believe how big lego is. I was at my aunts house last weekend visiting for a wedding. She had a huge tub of Legos for the "kids", my kid, not me. My cousin and I spent 9 hours building the Black Seas Barracuda. It's been 20+ years since I even thought about that ship, now I can just go on the internet and find, instructions, parts, homemade sails...!

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions, and send links. One more question? How do I hide how much it's going to cost to have a functional 10173-1 from my wife?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    I don't think she will know how much unless you tell her or she is a knowledgeable fan of Lego herself. Don't tell her..."Happy wife = Happy life." ;)

Most of us have gone through the same thing ourselves while trying to piece together a set; especially an expensive one.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,256
    waxwing said:

Yeh the windows are tough, I'll check out those links, and can always make this 100% accurate later. I'm thinking I can make the chassis out of 2 wide plates, technic and regular. I also changed many of the green bricks to red, and had to supplement 3297's with narrower versions. And no apples! But who cares? It will look great under the tree.

I cannot believe how big lego is. I was at my aunts house last weekend visiting for a wedding. She had a huge tub of Legos for the "kids", my kid, not me. My cousin and I spent 9 hours building the Black Seas Barracuda. It's been 20+ years since I even thought about that ship, now I can just go on the internet and find, instructions, parts, homemade sails...!

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions, and send links. One more question? How do I hide how much it's going to cost to have a functional 10173-1 from my wife?

You may be able to start by telling her how much a MISB one goes for, and then how much an opened and assembled one sells for, then how much the BL one will cost..
    Also note it is for under the tree as part of a Christmas Display.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I have a sealed one I'd sell, but you don't want to know the price ;)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,256
    I know the price, at least I knew it last year wehen I sold my last sealed one. Forgot I had it. I bought another that was complete in opened box instead and just forgot I had the sealed one left. My buddy has a sealed one still as well. He is debating whether or not to open it.
    When Lego had their 9V "Fire Sale" I bought as much as I could. I think I bought 20 boxes of straight rails, extension wires, light adapters (to add headlight to the front of your trains) and an extra motor. I had no idea how much a 9V motor and straight rails would cost in the future. I should have bought more.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,403
    I bought #10183 sets as much as I could, at $50 a piece they were a good deal and I ended up with 16 or so.
    edited October 2014
    This very common part is getting expensive too. In light grey.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6215

I'm building a B Unit for my Santa Fe Super Chief and I need 28 of these suckers.
  • waxwingwaxwing Member Posts: 4
    I think the wife is partially on board. She's willing to go to TRU tonight and load up on those silly modulars.
    "On board" hahaha
    edited October 2014
    Hahaha...Um...Thanks?
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 939
    edited November 2014
    Time to bump this sucker again.

I'm delighted to report that I now have a fully bricklinked 10173. Composed of roughly 90% new parts, the 10% used being those prohibitively expensive or simply unavailable (no substitute parts, so it did cost quite a bit - haven't had the heart to tot it up yet).

Now that I have the train pieces, I've turned my head towards motorising it. Having weighed it up, I am strongly leaning towards 9v. Aside from availability, it just seems like a simpler option. Looking at the various tutorials to convert the train to PF, it just isn't an appealing option for me (I'm quite train illiterate and feel I would struggle).

If I do go down the 9v route, could somebody corroborate the following parts list for me? I have attached a screenshot of a BrickStore list I put together.

Also, I was surprised by how cheap you can buy individual track pieces on BL given how expensive the sets are, particularly the straight rails (4515). Am I missing something?

Based on BrickWizard calculations, I can get the attached list for roughly €63 before shipping which seems reasonable.

If you can get all of those parts for that price I would buy it quick. But I'm not in Europe so that seems cheap for US prices.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 939
    One final bump from me to say huzzah!

There was only one snag: somehow I received the wrong radar dish for the nose of the train. I am therefore still in need of the 4 x 4 inverted radar dish (3960). If any bricksetter has a spare that I could send a bit of cash for you'd be helping me big time.
    margotAndor