Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New Set Rumors

Comments

• binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,735

Where did the detective agency hype come from? Just curious.

35 posts before yours. ;)
    T_Lars
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    A city (not LEGO CITY theme) police district building if done well on the outside could be really good. If they tried to have the outside scream police station by having like jail cell bars visible from the front or have it look anything like a City police station then it would probably be crap.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,949
    I tried to brainstorm a police station modular building one time, and I came to the conclusion that it's just too hard to make one that has anywhere near the same appeal as the Fire Brigade. The Fire Brigade is an iconic look for a historic American fire station, whereas when I looked up famous or historic police stations on Wikipedia, I couldn't find ANYTHING that looked remotely as distinctive — most of them basically looked like any other local government buildings from the outside.

LEGO City police stations may not be realistic, but between their color schemes and conspicuous features like jail cell bars, they definitely DO scream "police station". If anybody has ideas of how to achieve that same level of distinctiveness in a more realistic modular layout (or can provide useful reference pictures) I'd love to see them, but as it is it's hard for me to figure just how to make a police station exterior actually stand out.
    AdeelZubair
    ^ agreed that real stations look like any other local government building on the outside. So maybe LEGO should just do one that looks like that and call it a police station. Then people could use it in a display for whatever they wanted to since there isn't really a government style building done yet other than Town Hall that is more distinct.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @Aanchir when it comes to famous Police depts., there is not that much to choose from:

Scotland Yard (Sherlock Holmes)
    NYPD (Symbolic of classic time period & modern 9/11 era)
    LAPD (Top police force in the world, created the SWAT team concept, LA Riots)
    Miami PD (Miami Vice 80's)

And of those:

Scotland Yard (too generic & large without distinguishing Police features, looks like any other large British building)
    NYPD (The new building looks simple, but color scheme and large "Police" makes it appear appropriate, but overall too modern to fit into the modular scheme)
    LAPD (New building is impressive architecture, but too large and won't fit Modular building styles. More of a stand-alone building similar to Haunted House.
    Miami PD (The building is too non-descript and modern to work. Plus it doesn't scream Miami Vice coolness)

Which leaves only one viable choice if basing on a real-life Police dept. building. The original NYPD from 1909, which is visually compatible with the Modulars. However, the original building is quite large and would need to be scaled down. Plus it looks a bit similar to Townhall.

http://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.com/2013/03/13/the-most-complete-police-headquarters-in-the-world/
    AanchirAdeelZubair
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    @Skaare42‌ Your "office" section is perfect! Large, imposing, and detailed, while being simple. the raised and recessed entry is wonderful, that to me is exactly what a classic police precinct should be. well done!

Lego see that ^ yeah that's what you need to sell us :)
    Pitfall69
  • Skaare42Skaare42 Member Posts: 3
    @GallardoLU‌ - Thanks!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,175
    edited September 2014
    @Skaare42‌ That looks really good, but I have to say, the outside looks more like a fire station to me... Sorry!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,028
    edited September 2014
    Adzbadboy said:

After analysing the modular buildings I have come across that we have a cycle of a corner building then and two normal buildings and so on (excluding Market Street #10190) So the next modular building has to be a normal building. As it's rumored to be a Detective Agency it's highly likely that it would be two separate buildings as @Aanchir stated with one being a detective agency and one being a building with a crime scene.

It doesn't have to be anything, just because there has been a pattern it doesn't mean lego will definitely follow it. Likely yes, definite no.

Plus that is a lucky detective, if the crime occurs next door (or upstairs).

I wonder about sales. Surely a nice police station to match the FB would sell better than a Private Detective Agency. A police station is fairly recognisable all over, whereas a detective agency is normally just like a shop with a sign, or maybe a solicitor's office, isn't it?
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    @BrickDancer which Scotland Yard do you mean? Great Scotland Yard, the original New Scotland Yard, or the current one? I think the first two (SH era) offers quite a lot for a police building.
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 811
    What about team america world police?
    Shibjust2goodhantotjasor
    ^^Not the current Scotland Yard, that one is just a simple glass rectangle with a sign on the porch.

I was referring to the original New Scotland Yard, the dark orange one with the rounded turret corners.

But the Great Scotland Yard falls in between the two in terms of "Police-ness", with the building look a bit more traditional but still lacking any distinguishing Police or Government building details.
    ^^"I'm Matt Damon! Derpa Derpa!!"

Nice candidate, but there's no pictures of their Police HQ =)
  • Skaare42Skaare42 Member Posts: 3
    @Paperballpark‌ - No worries: agree to disagree :).
    since we are tossing out buildings, this one here is from my home town and is actually very new (2010 I think) image
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    @skaare42 : I am sooooo jealous. You did an awesome job.
  • BrewBrew New Mexico (It's an actual state in the US)Member Posts: 182
    @Skaare42‌ Like the details, e.g. the surveillance cameras on the outside of the building. Nice job.
    Yea lots of nice details. I really like the first floor layout and all the rooms for different gear.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,062
    As this has been reported on a couple of other sites in the past few days I thought I'd be ok to post now and confirm rumours that we'll be getting a UCS Avengers Hellicarrier next year, UK street price around £275.

I'm excited by the sound of this one, though my bank balance isn't :-/
    BumblepantsBrickDancerjust2goodAdeelZubaircarlq
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^ Really?? Oh dear.... If true I'll definitely want that... :-(

*cancels plan to spend £50 of accumulated VIPS now and asks all family members for Lego GCs for Christmas*
    ^I think you can relax. The new Avengers movie isn't out until May. We won't be seeing the set until then at the earliest.
    edited October 2014
    ^If it's going to be £275 I need to start planning now!!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,127
    edited October 2014
    I bet there will be some sweet exclusive minifigures in it.
    If true, I'm hoping for Winter Soldier, Coulson and Maria Hill to be in it.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    cool. something I have zero interest in, so that will save me some money
    binaryeyecheshirecat
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    iso3200 said:

As this has been reported on a couple of other sites in the past few days I thought I'd be ok to post now and confirm rumours that we'll be getting a UCS Avengers Hellicarrier next year

Queue the inevitable "oh, they just stole that from Ideas and now that poor guy won't get his 1%..." stream of posts.

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    After the Tumbler launched with immediate success, they started frantically looking for ANYTHING Super Heroes that works for a UCS-sized model.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    ^How about a UCS-sized model of the 1960s Batmobile? I would be all over that!
    LeonCgmonkey76
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    iso3200 said:

As this has been reported on a couple of other sites in the past few days I thought I'd be ok to post now and confirm rumours that we'll be getting a UCS Avengers Hellicarrier next year, UK street price around £275.

I'm excited by the sound of this one, though my bank balance isn't :-/

Awesome sauce, wonder if there will be any new Simpsons D2C sets as well.
    dougts said:

Queue the inevitable "oh, they just stole that from Ideas and now that poor guy won't get his 1%..." stream of posts.

I'll start the opposite side of that by saying no one on Ideas gets any sympathy from me if they post something from an already licensed IP, theme similar or in line with one LEGO already does, or a Modular building. Just a waste of peoples time to even look at them and vote. Some Ideas admin should be able to just nuke those from the start.
    BumblepantsdougtsbinaryeyeAdeelZubaircheshirecatbobabricks
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    ^ I would love that change. There are way too many submissions where the licensed IP drives the votes rather than an excellent or creative build or concept.
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    I'd like a UCS Milano to go with the next GotG film.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,698
    I would be down for 2 D2C Super Heroes sets each year (one for Marvel and one for DC) Similar to what we see with LEGO Star Wars :D
    goshe7 said:

^ I would love that change. There are way too many submissions where the licensed IP drives the votes rather than an excellent or creative build or concept.

Well, I wasn't arguing for no licensed IP. I was just stating that submitting ideas for something like Star Wars or Super Heroes seems pointless because LEGO already produces for those IP.
    dougts
    my opinion on the Existing Licensed IP listing is that though the proposal on Ideas is extremely unlikely to pass, it is a tool we as fans can use to sway the current line. if we continuously vote up vehicles that we want but have not gotten (or at least not gotten to our standards, which lets be honest are far higher than TLG) sure voting for a 20,000 piece model wont get it produced but perhaps LEGO will get the message that we are looking for the next UCS Falcon, something monumentally big. AFOLs would love to have something for this decade that is just leaps and bounds bigger and better than we have ever scene before.
  • nicoyagomeznicoyagomez Member Posts: 24
    ^ Everything this guy said.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    Can we start a petition for replica of Casa Batllo as the new Modular.

Wishful thinking.

Any new leads or "close to" confirmations on this being the Detective Building.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,698
    edited November 2014
    We have new LEGO Simpsons sets on the way as pictures of three new molds have surfaced: Doctor Hibbert, Groundskeeper Willie, and Santa’s Little Helper. Speculation time...

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-the-simpsons-minifigures-71009-head-mold-images/#sthash.DGE2MPde.dpuf
    LostInTranslationbobabricksGothamConstructionCo
    They look so good!
    Please please please let there be a Sideshow Bob in Simpsons Series 2.....
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,370
    ^There is a reboot of Ghost busters in the pipeline. ......
    Ahhh yes. Ghost's would make sense. The person said it could take many people back to their childhood. That could well be it.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    That'll upset the person who came up with the Ghostbusters HQ on ideas!
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    My bet would be Scooby Doo.
    LostInTranslationAdeelZubairDougout
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055

My bet would be Scooby Doo.

A Scooby theme would cause me to go broke.
    ThirdBuckEye
    ^and all because of those meddling kids...
    red5andheThirdBuckEye
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 908
    As much as I would love a Ghostbusters theme, Scooby Doo would fit the description better. I can imagine a mystery machine set, a haunted theme park medium sized set and a haunted house large set with trap doors, secret passages etc. All the monsters etc would be hoods or masks to it kiddie friendly.

Kids would love it and would love a scrappy minifig
    minicoopers11
  • EddieDoesntMindEddieDoesntMind Member Posts: 329
    edited November 2014
    nexander said:

Kids would love it and would love a scrappy minifig

Would it be bad form to flag this?
    Dougoutcarlqepyon396Aanchirandheminicoopers11
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,028
    It will be interesting if it is Scooby Doo - as that will mean Character Building have lost the license to Lego. And possibly (probably) also Dr Who. And what with pinching the Jurassic Park brand too, lego seem to be fighting back against clones.